• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007 - Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fart

Savant
something something 2007? i don't know. graffiti always seems like such private communication for so public a medium

fart

Savant
so many great shots on the last page. love the food especially (hungry!). here's procrastination at work:

DSC_3307.jpg

thatbox

Banned
This page is off to a great start!

PSA, though: If you use Save For Web in Photoshop it strips out your EXIF data, so use regular old Save As to avoid "how did you do that!?" questions!

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward: Nice squirrel shots - what's that strange ghosting in the background? Is that just the bokeh, or was it windy? And, man, you're really tempting me with that 10-22! I cna go as wide as 17 (and I LOVE the 17-55), so I don't know if I'd really use it all that often. The 17-55 is just such a great range to have around.

Eric: I like those shots - timed and composed well - I can't help feeling the flahs took some atmosphere away, though.

Ghibli99: That's exactly the kind of shot I was hoping to see in the last assignment! Such a great shot.

SnakeXS: Nice stuff - I like the line of birds in the sky - very visually striking.

Vatstep: Thumbs up.

GKB: Nice! I like your people shots a lot.

El jacko. Also great stuff.

Here's what I was up to in the past few days, photo-wise.

img6555vk0.jpg

efs17-55IS, 46mm, f8.0, 1/125s, iso100

Yeah, another sunset, another skytower shot - I've created my own cliché!
img6625lq5.jpg

efs17-55IS, 43mm, f4.0, 1/15s, iso100

Ok, I went out today to look for some 'curves' for the assignment, and took out my macro/polariser for some fun and games. This is my leading shot so far:
img6647xd0.jpg

efs60mm, f2.8, 1/200s, iso100, polariser

img6649bk5.jpg

img6655qg9.jpg

Probably my favourite picture of the day, funny how even small adjustments can make a huge difference (still trying to get those awesome insect shots like PeteJ and co):
img66741vs4.jpg

efs60mm, f2.8, 1/320s, iso100, adjusted in iphoto

An unadjusted one - this guy had been busy - he was absolutely covered in pollen:
img6686sg1.jpg

efs60mm, f2.8, 1/320s, iso100

Another polariser shot:
img6740va6.jpg

efs60mm, f8.0, 1/100s, iso100

img6756il3.jpg

efs60mm, f4.0, 1/125s, iso100, adjusted in iPhoto (and reasonably heavy crop).

ghibli99

Great stuff, guys.

These were taken last week on my drive from Hood River to Bend, Oregon.

1. Mt. Hood (EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM):
20070417ore09sm.jpg

2. Crooked River Bridge (EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM + S-HMC CP):
20070417ore10sm.jpg

thatbox

Banned
Love that first polarizer macro shot, mrkgoo.

Any of you guys going to submit something to Apple's Insomnia contest? You have until 4PM CST Saturday, if so!

Two other contests going on right now are here and here, if shootin' for expensive prizes gets your juices goin'.

I've got a 28-70mm f/2.8 on its way to me and I can't wait to have a faster walkaround zoom!

ghibli99

Two more shots from the same trip:

3. Taken with my EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM + S-HMC CP
20070417ore01sm.jpg

4. Cherry blossoms (same lens, same day)
20070417ore02sm.jpg

Have a good night.

mrkgoo

ghibli99 said:
Two more shots from the same trip:

3. Taken with my EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM + S-HMC CP

4. Cherry blossoms (same lens, same day)

Have a good night.

We can be efs 60 HMCP buddies! Yes, I have no life.

ghibli99

mrkgoo said:
We can be efs 60 HMCP buddies! Yes, I have no life.
Haha... yeah, it's my favorite lens. It never lets me down.

Edit: And sorry for not participating in the assignment threads... I don't log on here as much as I used to, and keep missing them.

Kawaii

Some pictures i made in my garden. The first 4 are a bit older, but i wanted to show them nevertheless. This is my first real attempt at photography.
Canon 400D
EFS 18-55mm lens (Is this enough information, i'm kinda new into photography)

I only resized them, and cleaned out two spots on the first three pictures, spot on the lens.

img6321zg7.jpg

img6334kh0.jpg

img6345eu4.jpg

img6347ul4.jpg

img6416uu0.jpg

img6417my1.jpg

img6421mt2.jpg

img6423pt7.jpg

mrkgoo

Kawaii: Nice pics.

The spots you cleaned up...are they kind of like that spot on the top right of your first image (extreme corner)? Are tehy in the same places in all your photos, but only when you take pictures of the sky (what setting are you on?)? If so, it is liekly they are dust specks on your sensor, not your lens - spots on the lens are typically out of focus and don't really show up on your images. Spots on your sensor will show up easily when you are at high aperture (narrow), like if you are shooting in an automatic or semi-automatic mode, and the aperture has been selected for you, which is typically in bright conditions suchas agains the sky.

Kawaii

mrkgoo said:
Kawaii: Nice pics.

The spots you cleaned up...are they kind of like that spot on the top right of your first image (extreme corner)? Are tehy in the same places in all your photos, but only when you take pictures of the sky (what setting are you on?)? If so, it is liekly they are dust specks on your sensor, not your lens - spots on the lens are typically out of focus and don't really show up on your images. Spots on your sensor will show up easily when you are at high aperture (narrow), like if you are shooting in an automatic or semi-automatic mode, and the aperture has been selected for you, which is typically in bright conditions suchas agains the sky.
Yes, that's a spot I forgot to clean up, they were spots inside the lens, I went back to the shop, and they tried to clean the lens, but they couldn't and send it back to the factory (i guess) and it is fixed now.

Thanks for your reply =)

mrkgoo said:
Lucky Forward: Nice squirrel shots - what's that strange ghosting in the background? Is that just the bokeh, or was it windy?

I'm not sure, but I think it's some kind of interference (in the physics/optics sense of the word) caused by having OOF branches within/behind other OOF branches. If you look at my first bird picture above, in the lower left corner there's a thin OOF branch within a faint larger blur of a closer OOF branch. The thin branch is displaying a ghosting effect, so I think that is what is causing it.

And, man, you're really tempting me with that 10-22! I cna go as wide as 17 (and I LOVE the 17-55), so I don't know if I'd really use it all that often. The 17-55 is just such a great range to have around.

The 17-85 IS is my walkaround lens, but the 10-22 has become my "fun" lens. I love setting it wide and pointing it from odd angles (from under a bush, from the floor of my truck interior) without even looking through the viewfinder sometimes. The shot above of my dog in the river was taken holding the camera about eight inches above the ground next to the river's edge.

Those are some beautiful macros, I never considered putting a polarizer on for a macro shot, but I love the vivid blue/green colors you're getting.

ghibli99, nice scenics, but I really like your blossoms and sky shot! (no.3)

aoi tsuki

This was a happy accident i caught. i use flash at pretty much all shows except when requested not to. The previous shot was properly exposed and whatnot, and when i tried to get this shot, the flash hadn't recycled. The first shot is the result.

happyaccidentql5.jpg

So when i got back home and did the usual junk shot cull, underexposed shots like this were the first to go. The visible regions made me curious as to what was happening in this shot, so i took it into shop. The histogram looked like an anorexic Idaho, but i loaded levels to quickly brighten it and sure enough, it's was usable.

There's still a little tweaking i need to do with the duotone color curves, as well as a little noise removal and dodge and burn, but i'm pretty happy with it. Now i've gotta back through the recycle bin to see what other possible keepers i've tossed. :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
A few from today, and my first real attempt at "macro" with the 50mm1.8+No. 2 close up lens kit.

God still hates me and won't allow my free time + better weather to match up at all, but you gotta do what you can with what you've got, I suppose.

behindpepsibw.jpg

door.jpg

roseagainstbrick.jpg

fallout1.jpg

redonred.jpg

ghibli99

I was going to enter this in the assignment #9 thread for the hell of it, but then I forgot that this was taken before the assignment window. Hope you guys like it anyway. :)

Assignment #9: "Curves"
20070429nga009.jpg

guess

too hot : (
hottttttkm9.jpg

don't think my car likes the heat
infokn0.jpg

photo assignment reject
curves5aa2.jpg

same buildings as my entry in the photo assignment
curves3rv0.jpg

curves2px0.jpg

curves1xp6.jpg

curves4fh0.jpg

samusx

Banned
OK I went to the Ginkakuji temple in Kyoto yesterday because I had the day off, and the weather was amazing. I had a great time shooting. Here are some of the shots that I have worked so far.

IMG_1684-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1695-800x1200.jpg

IMG_1686-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1687-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1690-800x1200.jpg

IMG_1691-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1693-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1698-800x1200.jpg

IMG_1699-800x1200.jpg

IMG_1723-800x1200.jpg

fart

Savant
assignment entries should be posted in the assgn thread and only in there

oh, kkkk

i thought you were someone new who was trying to enter

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
mrkgoo said:
Yeah, another sunset, another skytower shot - I've created my own cliché!
img6625lq5.jpg

efs17-55IS, 43mm, f4.0, 1/15s, iso100

SnakeXs said:

imastalker co. said:

Awesome stuff, everyone. I especially love the three I quoted!

Samusx: Your set at the temple is incredible, you're making me very jealous.

guess: That building worked out really well for the photo assignment! I could see many of those "rejects" winning this week's assignment! And was it really 101 degrees?

Here's a bit of my stuff that I shot while out for the photo assignment.

477734907_264efae1c0.jpg

477735075_cb76bae72d.jpg

477737799_7783d75237.jpg

(It's unfortunate my camera is so poor in low light conditions, this one came out with a lot of noise, I really liked the colour, though.)

477945909_7802361701.jpg

477945867_d523f5134a.jpg

477925226_ad447446a2.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy! The sunsets have been pretty incredible these days. Unfortunately it wasn't quite so stellar tonight, when I was able to finally get out with my camera.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
That is the little ferry that I catch almost every single day. It was just pulling into dock, around sunset. I like how the bright orange lights offset the deep blue sky.

Bleh. Glad you like it!

guess

thatbox said:
Holy shit, guess. That's quality.

thanks

aidan said:
guess: That building worked out really well for the photo assignment! I could see many of those "rejects" winning this week's assignment! And was it really 101 degrees?

thanks

My car had been sitting in the parking lot of a huge shopping center. Can't remember exactly, but it said like 105 or 104 when I got in. 101 was after I cut the A.C. on. I think the real temp was in the middle 80s.

mrkgoo

imastalker co. said:
i used to think that as well, but apparently that isn't the case.

While I stress people to not post non-submission photos in the assignment thread, until after the submissions have been collated, it was only ever for ease of collation. I never minded submissions being posted here as well, and certainly assignment rejects was encouraged here.

Nice work people.

Imastalker: I like your sunset jumping people pic - some fast shutter wide angle shots can make for some awesome action style shots I've discovered - really dynamic.

Adian: I love the cleanness of your images.

Guess: Lol, each one of those could have been great entreis for the assignment!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Thanks aidan. Another very solid run of shots from just about everyone, guys. Really helps motivate, in a small way.

Anywho, the last shot I was happy with.

dontblock.jpg

I should be getting my 70-210 tomorrow. No more glass for a while. Got all my bases covered. Aside from pro+ grade envy, I'm done.

And screw it, here's a few things I came across that I sorta "rejected", but still catch my eye.

tiedye2.jpg

insidelookingoutcorrected.jpg

macrojeans.jpg

Not a great shot, I just love the lighting, shadow, and detail. 50mm with close up lens kits #'s 1, and 2, stacked.

:)

ghibli99

My GF's dad's Dodge Dakota... taken at the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center.
20070417ore16sm.jpg

In front of the Discovery Center... why that wagon is baby blue and pink, I'm not sure. :)
20070417ore17sm.jpg

Candid I took of my GF while she was getting ready in the bathroom. Image is a reflection from the mirror, horizontally flipped. Part of my full manual strobe tests. I think it came out pretty nice.
20070417ore04sm.jpg

ghibli99

Another shot of Crooked River Bridge (Oregon)... 300-ft. drop to the bottom.
20070417oregontrip18sm.jpg

My friend's daughter and my GF's wonderful Rottie (don't worry; grandma was off to the side supervising and scratching the dog's hindquarters, so she wasn't going anywhere :)).
20070418larkincassie02sm.jpg

samusx

Banned
IMG_1706-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1701-1200x800.jpg

IMG_1708-1200x800.jpg

Here are some shots that I took in a Temple in Kyoto. The weather was great and the time of day was just great for some late evening dusk type shots.

zalemale

cool ginkakuji pics.

here's a couple from a beach in shizuoka. The quality may not be that great, but I'm really happy with how the atmosphere was translated to these pics.

beach1.jpg

beach2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom