• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007 - Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipopo

Banned
711017567_0bc7f23fc4.jpg

711017591_959d459b7e.jpg

711784304_9eb1178781.jpg

711783346_4277a19daa.jpg

711783776_1ee42f12d7.jpg

711783546_646d8548ea.jpg

711784182_fb408fdb26.jpg

Using a Canon Rebel XT with the packaged lens and no touch up...I'm really new at this so any criticism would be appreciated :).

I'm loving Bogart's work, as well as Slurpy's, Yonn's, El Capitan's, and Blue Tsunami's.

Surfheart

Some pics from a trip to Europe.

Menin Gate, Ieper Belgium.

Vimy Ridge.

Vimy Ridge.

Fountain of Peace, Ieper Belgium.

Market Square, Ieper.

Flanders, Belgium.

Menin Gate, Ieper.

Albert, France

Newfoundland Memorial Park, France.

Ceiling detail, Paris Opera house.

Fat Cats, Amsterdam.

Berlin Wall.

Markets, Hong Kong.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
4th of July Fireworks!

722975106_92c26502e5.jpg

722974394_b45c1e9f86.jpg

722099287_f4ad46716a.jpg

722972942_bfe2444773.jpg

722972268_eddc6ace87.jpg

722970934_267e5af75c.jpg

722096923_1ce1d6eb1e.jpg

722970534_fb88529ec2.jpg

722970016_e0437c3fae.jpg

722095071_948d13d576.jpg

I liked how this one came out. You can see each piece broken off and shooting off in each direction...

722097417_cdf18f5b39_b.jpg

I don't remember the Aperture and Shutter speeds but I shot all of them at ISO1600. I had to keep the Aperture and Shutter speeds close to the point where the surrounding area was dark but was fast enough to not completely blur the fireworks.

Luckily I got a grasp on working with it. Everytime a firework went off the camera would stop complaining about the Aperture being too low (I was working in TV Mode, Shutter priority). So I would snap a shot off when a firework would explode!

Forsete

Gold Member
Nice Blue.. Capturing fireworks is haaard. When I had my Canon a few years ago I tried to capture some new-years fireworks, out of maybe 80 shots.. 2-3 were good. :D

Got a new lens.. I now feel that I have the complete range of lenses, from 17-70mm zoom-lens to 70-210 beercan to my most recent, Tamron 90mm 1.28 1:1 macro.

tamron1-1.jpg

Exposure time: 0.067 s (1/15)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv.: 100

tamron4.jpg

Exposure time: 2.500 s
Aperture: f/18.0

tamron3-1.jpg

Exposure time: 0.600 s
Aperture: f/16.0

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
BlueTsunami: Capturing fireworks is something I've always been very jealous of. It's something my little point and shoot is completely incapable of. Maybe one day!

Forsete: All three of those macro shots are fantastic! The clarity is great and you've really managed to make the most ordinary, every day (apart from the pocket watch, I suppose, it's pretty archaic! What's the paper it's laying on?) items interesting again! Good job.

White Man

Squirrel Killer said:
DSLR, no RAW here. Two reasons mainly, it adds to post-processing time (and complexity if my wife ever uses it) and I don't have software to support it. Maybe when GIMP adds support for it.

I use the setting where it shoots RAW and jpeg simultaneously, just in case I do feel like screwing around.

Forsete

Gold Member
Thanks Yonn, aidan.

aidan, I put it on a book which I bought from a second-hand bookshop. Its "Naturläran för Sweriges Allmoge" Dr. Nils-Johan Berlin 1857 (thats why its printed in the nice to look at but hard to read font, fraktur), freely translated that would mean "Natural science - for the swedish peasents" - basically released to try and educate the country folk about science. The earth, the flora and fauna of different parts of the world, solar system, weather system etc. Its very detailed and I was surprised to see how knowledgeable the science folks were even back then. :)

samusx

Banned
Here is a little dragon fly that got into my house today. He was sitting there calmly, and I got my camera and shot him. Then I sent him on his way outside. ^_^

dragon.jpg

I shot this with my Canon EOS Kiss X and Tamron 18-250 lens.

mrkgoo

Some rejects for the latest assignment. I'm kinda meh about most of them - I mean I like the shots, but somehow they're just not very interesting.

67835s7.jpg

676sww2.jpg

63242mx.jpg

6ai342o.jpg

I like your dragonfly pic samusx. I think would also make a good assignment submission in B+W!

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I cant stand most insects, but I really like samusx's dragonfly picture. Its a very good photo.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Probably my last image until I return from Greece, at which point I'm sure I will have many to share. This is one I took during the fireworks, at work, while working, for work. Will probably be used on the site, and maybe in press and fliers for next year.

riverview4thpromo.jpg

el jacko

tokkun, that's a very nice picture you've taken (I do agree with you on the boy's shadow) but it's very big, and causes H-scroll even on my rather wide monitor. Can you shrink them down a bit from now on?

Anyway, the b&w competition theme has made me pine for my Pentax 35mm camera, although photographing with that is difficult. If I had a negative scanner, though, I'd feel much more at home; anyone know of a quality scanner that would load 35mm negatives? I have no idea of even how to look for one.

thatbox

Banned
el jacko said:
tokkun, that's a very nice picture you've taken (I do agree with you on the boy's shadow) but it's very big, and causes H-scroll even on my rather wide monitor. Can you shrink them down a bit from now on?

Anyway, the b&w competition theme has made me pine for my Pentax 35mm camera, although photographing with that is difficult. If I had a negative scanner, though, I'd feel much more at home; anyone know of a quality scanner that would load 35mm negatives? I have no idea of even how to look for one.

I've used a Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 5000 ED at school, but that's the extent of my experience with them. I think that model is kind of old, but it worked pretty well for me. Here's a photo I scanned with it; the dust and scratches were on the film and aren't the fault of the machine. Camera is a Maxxum 70, lens is the old Minolta 70-210mm f/4 and film is Ilford HP5+.

Hope this comes out ok...

you guys have inspired me to go out and shoot more and more with my crappy camera :lol

fireworkshoodreflection.jpg

lightpath.jpg

favevine2.jpg

lakemoss2.jpg

reflection3.jpg

BTW, any suggestions on how to shoot at night? I was standing up thru my sunroof taking those and I hate/love how they came out. Any ideas on how to get it...clearer? (LOL with out buying a new camera)

asa

I got my Nikon d50 just couple weeks ago, haven't really been into photography before. Well, now I am :) Here's few..

747571831_5ef6b0036f_o.jpg

615078702_413369b42d_b.jpg

615147090_a6c1a6a5a9_b.jpg

615156614_18bc41bb2c_b.jpg

615132938_38f6bf7b20_b.jpg

614930630_766825abc1_b.jpg

tokkun

el jacko said:

Noted. What would people suggest as a maximum horizontal resolution to post? My monitor has a native resolution of 1680x1050, so it has never been an issue for me.

el jacko

starchild excalibur: wow.

tokkun: I try to keep my pictures within 700-800 pixels wide, and nobody's complained yet (even though I usually post some of the largest pictures in the thread).

aparisi2274: cool pictures! how did you get the angle here? I take it you have access to a nearby roof? interestingly enough, I took a similar picture to your first one last time I was down there.

thatbox: interesting. I think my college has something like that, although I don't have access to that right now. I have used a film scanner in high school, but it was a supercheap Epson flatbed that had negative scanning tacked on, dulling all the shades. I'll look into the Nikons. Anyone else have an opinion?

el jacko

I posted this in the gaming forum's OT thread while the OT was down, and since this could use a bump I'm reposting it. Anyway, I went to a boat yard on Cape Cod, and took some pictures. It's amazing; some of these looked like garbage in color but once I changed them to B&W they looked much better. Anyway:

773758377_1c051a106e_o.jpg

1/800s, f5.0, 32mm, iso100

774630168_3fd18e85c1_o.jpg

1/500s, f5.0, 23mm, iso100

773757417_228ae62faa_o.jpg

1/500s, f5.0, 23mm, iso100

And one in NYC:
773760105_26f3cc443c_o.jpg

1/640s, f5.6, 50mm, iso100

more at the flickr page

Obviously I was thinking of the photography assignment; these are the rejects.

aidan

I've been out shooting a lot, but haven't really had time to come here and post! So, be ready for a deluge from me over the next couple of days!

792656917_2b3db3a6a2_b.jpg

792651045_d1334fe893_b.jpg

792646851_2a38cd2d9a.jpg

793335422_80edefd75b.jpg

AirBrian

We've had so much rain this summer, it's been nuts. The Denison Dam which helps control the Red River and Lake Texoma (on the border of Texas and Oklahoma) has only ever gone over the emergency spillway 2 times in it's 60+ year history. The third time happened this past weekend.

(This is what it normally looks like from some random dude's picture.) The whole area to the right in this pic and my first pic is not normally water. There is a road there (you can see the sign in my pic below) that leads to a state park. It's just crazy seeing all of this underwater because I've camped at this park probaby 20+ times.

DSC_6425.jpg

DSC_6435.jpg

DSC_6448.jpg

DSC_6453.jpg

DSC_6497.jpg

DSC_6517.jpg

mrkgoo

aidan said:

*hearts* esp. the second one. I'm a sucker for vibrant silhouette shots.

In other news, I feel like buying a circ polariser for my 17-55. It's expensiv,e I shouldn't spend the money, I don't have time to go out and shoot, but I want to anyway...

yonder

Great stuff, aidan! The colours in the first two are gorgeous.

Man, I haven't taken a shot since the last assignment. Gotta get my camera out.

aidan

Thanks guys. I'm really proud of those shots! I almost missed my ferry as I ran over to snap the one of the skyline with the crane in the sunset!

Here're some more. Not quite as exciting as the previous ones, but cool nonetheless, I think!

These're Assignment rejects/from the same shoot:

793222366_44ec46263d.jpg

792333239_6f099a8e44.jpg

793291680_2d8ff6a1fd.jpg

Jak140

I've been experimenting with different shots on my old Canon Powershot A75 for a couple years, hoping that I'll be able to afford a Rebel someday. This is one of my attempted shots for the B&W assignment. Any advice you guys have to offer would be great, thanks!

dk3

Exp: 10 s, Ap: f/2.8, ISO: 50

aidan

Jak140 said:
I've been experimenting with different shots on my old Canon Powershot A75 for a couple years, hoping that I'll be able to afford a Rebel someday. This is one of my attempted shots for the B&W assignment. Any advice you guys have to offer would be great, thanks!

*PIC*

Exp: 10 s, Ap: f/2.8, ISO: 50

If I'm being honest, the photo is just way too dark. Sometimes that works, but in this shot I can't tell what I'm looking at, and that takes away from any effect it might have had on me.

The photo you chose (of the Guitar) was definitely the right choice.

thatbox said:
smear
cold and dirty
clinging
black shapes

Awesome shot.

Thanks. I'd love to say that I purposefully chose the words that appear in focus(ish), but it was all happy happenstance! Glad you like the photo.

Now we just need to get this thread to the next page so people will start posting photos again!

Jak140

aidan said:
If I'm being honest, the photo is just way too dark. Sometimes that works, but in this shot I can't tell what I'm looking at, and that takes away from any effect it might have had on me.

The photo you chose (of the Guitar) was definitely the right choice.

Thank you for your comments aidan. It's a picture of a window with the blinds half drawn letting light into a dark room. I was going for a light piercing into the darkness sort of thing, but maybe I overdid the contrast.

mrkgoo

AirBrian: Nice!
Something I took with assignment in mind - not sure if I'll replace my rabbit pic, though:
52dxg04.jpg

efs17-55mm, 17mm, f8.0, 1/80s, iso100

jal: I have same sentiments as Aidan.

samusx

Banned
I was in the Kyoto station the other day, and I thought, "lets try to make a cool pano shot". So here it is, not perfect, but it gets the job done.

smallPano.jpg

thatbox

Banned
mrkgoo said:
AirBrian: Nice!
Something I took with assignment in mind - not sure if I'll replace my rabbit pic, though:
52dxg04.jpg

efs17-55mm, 17mm, f8.0, 1/80s, iso100

jal: I have same sentiments as Aidan.

mrkgoo, this is a fantastic picture, and I definitely like it more than your first bunny submission. I wish the sky above the trees weren't blown out; with some definition there this photograph would be incredibly otherworldly. Although, if anywhere had to be blown out, the spot behind the clump of trees is pretty much perfect, and looking at it some more I'm not sure why I though more definition would improve it. The white silhouetting the trees is pretty powerful, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom