• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's CEO: PS5 is entering the latter half of its life cycle, hardware sales pace to start falling from the next fiscal year

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
PS4 from PS3 was a significant downgrade of releases, but the sales increased considerable and made more profit than the previous gen, the same is happening with the PS5.

Problem is, the output strategy has been really weird, they had 3 major first party games in 2022, 1 in 2023 and none in 2024.
I'd personally like to see a different output strategy where more games are released with a smaller production budget and much shorter development time. Let game creators explore different concepts much quicker and let the market react to new directions they find exciting. You can always then remaster or remake the most popular games, or develop significantly higher budget sequels that give them the so called "Hollywood treatment".

We need much more variety and much more experimentation in the interactive entertainment space, and AAA is hogging all the resources while offering increasingly diminishing benefits.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's true, the PS3 and PS4 both had their best years in the latter halves of their lives. Unless you mean in terms of console sales. Then, yeah, obviously that's gonna be lower in the last few years (which we're not in yet with the PS5).

The CEO cares only about console sales, not games

We need much more variety and much more experimentation in the interactive entertainment space, and AAA is hogging all the resources for increasingly diminishing benefits.
They did it a lot with the PS3, but results weren’t there. Folklore, Puppeteer, and many many more examples didn’t translate in the sales they wanted to.

I understand that some people don’t see Totoki as a person that could increase profits for Sony, but it seems that it was time for somebody to tighten things at Sony. And I hope he does it.

Woopah

I'm not sure that's true, the PS3 and PS4 both had their best years in the latter halves of their lives. Unless you mean in terms of console sales. Then, yeah, obviously that's gonna be lower in the last few years (which we're not in yet with the PS5).
Yes I'm talking purely about sales. Soon PS5 will enter its 2nd half and be down Year on Year.

Kacho

HD console space is looking pretty dire. PS5 has only been on the market for a little over 3 years. Seems a little early to be punting growth.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
God, the last thing this industry needs is a new generation any time soon. With out of control budgets and dev times, I'd happily wait until 2030.
What we need is some revolution in game development to speed up these dev times.

I feel like the main reason many people are so disillusioned with gaming now is that less AAA are coming out. supposed drop in game quality can just as easily be attributes to less games coming out. 2023 was a barrage of games from all budgets and the result was one of the best years in decades

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
God, the last thing this industry needs is a new generation any time soon. With out of control budgets and dev times, I'd happily wait until 2030.

They can’t seriously wait until 2030… not only will sales taper, but consumers will move to other platforms. A shorter cycle might bring down dev costs and time with the help of AI, as unfortunate as that might be for video gamers.

Bond007

Here I am still feeling we just started this generation.
Crazy to technically be at the half.

I wouldnt mind this gen goin abit longer do to how it all started with Covid and shortages.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
There gunna anounce all there games are coming to xbox.
One big happy family.

Happy Season 3 GIF by Friends

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This gen feels like it hasn't even started. Now it's in the "latter stage"?

This whole gen has been a joke honestly, from both MS and Sony. Feels like it was a big con job.
With hindsight, the smartest purchases would have been PC for sure. And 2nd maybe a Series S. All the rest was barely even needed or used. Could have just been a $250 console gen for everyone and we wouldn't have missed much at all.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And what's the point with further graphical fidelity when most games aren't even optimized for current hardware? I wish generations were longer.
And now we're getting people to beg for PS5 Pro so that these ps4 tier visual games can run at the framerates and resolutions that were advertised in 2020.

It's like a conspiracy between game debs and Sony. Optimize the games like dogshit for consoles so when the PS5 Pro comes out we can all gawk at how much performance has improved. Meanwhile the great hardware already in the base ps5 goes underutilized.

SABRE220

They have barely released anything this gen, the 1st party studios have barely released any next gen games at all. This has been by far the most inefficient gen in terms of output when it comes to PlayStation. A cross gen gow release, cross gen horizon, cross gen gt, insomniac being milked for spiderman at extremely bloated budgets and ratchet that's honestly all that sony has released this gen.

Compare that to the ps3 gens portfolio and the disparity in quality output is staggering. They are going to need to overhaul their studios and cut out the bloat because after last gen they got too comfy riding on their laurels.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

In previous generations prices have usually dropped in the first 3.5 years, not increased. I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that might be part of the issue too.

LimanimaPT

Games can't have 5 years development cycles. And...
Want to sell consoles? Well, you better release some good exclusives from time to time.
From the top of my head, games that could help sell consoles:
-Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2
-New killzone entry
-New Resistance entry
-Shadow of Colossus 2
-Days Gone 2

Gambit2483

This gen feels like it hasn't even started. Now it's in the "latter stage"?

This whole gen has been a joke honestly, from both MS and Sony. Feels like it was a big con job.
I mean we have gotten some great games this gen, but the problem is

1. Many of the games were (or still are) crossgen games so at the outset of development they have basically been limited by last gen hardware

And

2. The 1st party output from MS and Sony has been Abysmal. If it weren't for Bethesda, Xbox 1st party output would be a joke and if it wasn't for SE, Playstation 1st party output would be damn near a joke.

Maybe 2024 will be the year we get less crossgen and exclusively current gen releases and better 1st party output but I'm not holding my breath

Last edited:

skit_data

Wasn't 2028 the preliminary year for next gen of consoles according to several earlier statements?

Seems to be a bit of a confusion around the meaning of the word "latter" and many thinking its synonymous with "later".

Wasn't 2028 the preliminary year for next gen of consoles according to several earlier statements?

Seems to be a bit of a confusion around the meaning of the word "latter" and many thinking its synonymous with "later".
I can't see it being later than 2027. It's normally 7 years between new consoles.

skit_data

I can't see it being later than 2027. It's normally 7 years between new consoles.
It's entirely possible, but I remember reading 2028 several times. I guess one reason for launching a Pro model would be to stretch the gen out a bit further. With extended development times and slower technological progress it sorta makes sense IMO.

Edit: Seems MS expected/expects PS6 to launch some time in 2028, for example:

Last edited:
Acquisition related costs are still a thing in this FY thus profits are still low. Yet, the doomed and gloomed are very strong in a lot of websites including this one.

Top Bottom