• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's CEO: PS5 is entering the latter half of its life cycle, hardware sales pace to start falling from the next fiscal year

It was crazy to read that this morning. Feels like we are barely getting started.

PS4 was an amazing console, but also loud as fuck, and games could still struggle to hit 30FPS. A new console was needed.

PS5 is a really nice console that runs quietly and games can run at 60FPS. Not to mention, there are like a half dozen exclusive games total on the console. What is the rush? Especially with a Pro coming out.

We'll see what the next few years has in store. But moving on from the PS5 anytime soon feels like an incredible amount of wasted potential. Most first party studios haven't released a single PS5 exclusive yet...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If they don't change up then they risk losing ground to PC.

I personally think the endless pursuit of fidelity over solid game design is going to kill the industry.
It's not graphical fidelity it's the obsession with gaas, open world games and game length. Again I can bring up Capcom and insomniac, how they pump out great 10-15 hour experiences every 2 to 3 years because they aren't afraid to have a shorter game. We do not need graphics to suffer to fix this dev time issue

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Fuck video games.
Fuck you.
Halloween GIF

Astray

Gold Member
It's not graphical fidelity it's the obsession with gaas, open world games and game length. Again I can bring up Capcom and insomniac, how they pump out great 10-15 hour experiences every 2 to 3 years because they aren't afraid to have a shorter game. We do not need graphics to suffer to fix this dev time issue
Capcom and Insomniac both largely aren't GAAS companies and they both expressed concern over rising costs. Its an industry-wide issue by now.

cormack12

Gold Member
We might not even get one naughty dog game this generation (/s), and it will be PS8 before the next GTA.

I did always wonder if we'd have an elongated gen with the issues of covid. I don't really see the current machines being stretched. Maybe this will be the forgotten generation. Not powerful enough to really use the next gen features, but just add another layer of density and fidelity.

Either way the last few years should be banger after banger.

Papa_Wisdom

I’m still on PS4 guys. I feel the generation have barely started.
Now I’m starting to feel like I’ll just skip this gen. It’s a really weird generation of console.
Same, apart from stellar blade there is absolutely nothing I want to play on ps5. And I can’t justify the price of the console for a game that will eventually come to pc, with mod support😉

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's not graphical fidelity it's the obsession with gaas, open world games and game length.
It's not obsession. It's companies following the sales. This is why I honestly was so supportive of Gamepass, because it breaks this whole cycle.

The problem is retail games and how they are sold and delivered. Games used to be short, but people stopped buying them and sold them quickly since you can beat it in a weekend. Companies had to adapt. AA games with less focus on graphics did exist. But people stopped feeling it was worth the money so they wait for a sale when compared to the shinier games. Just look at Prince of Persia that just came out vs. Assassin's Creed sales. Same goes for linear vs. open world. Same goes for all of this. People literally have demanded most of this stuff or else they feel the game is not worth a day 1 $70 purchase. Having a sub changes the whole delivery model and breaks that whole incentive structure. Nobody is "obsessed" - they are dictating what gets made with their retail purchases, and they have been for 3 generations now. Used to be tacked on multiplayer modes 2 gens ago. The problem is the physical retail model and what that does to game design through incentives.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's not obsession. It's companies following the sales
The sales say that games like TOTK, Baldurs gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 do best. But yeah, GaaS generates a lot of money. It is also high maintenance and a crapshoot on whether you win big buck$ or not. No different from gambling addicts.

AA games with less focus on graphics did used to exist. But people stopped feeling it was worth the money so they wait for a sale when compared to the shinier games.
People started feeling that way because prices began to skyrocket. I'll use sonic as an example since it's one I've noticed the most

Sonic generations from 2011 was their TRIPLE A high budget production value game retailing for 20 dollars.

Sonic superstars from 2023 is the double a budget 2d platformer retailing for..... 50 bucks.

Now take this example and apply it to literally every game in the industry. Nintendo switch re-released of wii u games costs 60 to 70 where the ogs cost 40 to 50.

If it were 2015 that prince of Persia 2d game would retail for 25 dollars and everyone would have bought it instead of sale hunting. This is why aa is dying, publishers think the can charge full price for obviously budget games

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony pushes consoles hard their console growth is always happening I still view the ps5 as a new console.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
publishers think the can charge full price for obviously budget games
Like I said, this is why publishers make what sells. PoP was $50. And they likely anticipated it wouldn't sell 10 million, so they price it at a level to pay for development. If it sells 1 million that used to be good. The people interested still have to buy the "lesser" games though. They can't sell 1 million and also sell for a 3rd of the price. Something has to give, and usually it is that these games just don't get made. Consumers have dictated these design choices for 3 gens now. A lot of people have really bad taste.

Humdinger

Right, so the gen ends in 2028.

It's been kind of a weird gen so far. I'm not all that impressed on either Sony or MS's part.

The Xbox announcement tomorrow should be interesting.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

That's obviously not true. They make a lot more money on services and game sales (including their 3rd party cuts) than they do selling consoles.
They need to sell consoles to sell games though.

It's hard to do either without the other. Xbox is proof of that.

This gen has surely got to be the worst in terms of overall game quantity & quality.

If you thought the Gen 8 was bad, Gen 9 is worse:
- Can't even buy a PS5 for the first 2.5 years of its lifecycle
- Barren generation in general outside of a few top hits
- Mostly just re-releases of Gen 5, 6 and 7 titles..

Where's all the new shit? 😅

Guess this is why they can't produce new IPs at the rate they once did in Gen 7. Costs have ballooned.

makaveli60

Yet barely any games that show what current gen can do. In this pace, we will get real ps5 games only when ps6 releases, which will only play the same games in higher fps and res

Stuart360

It doesnt even feel like this gen has even got started yet. I mean we have just about left the cross gen phase of the gen and Sony are already talking about being in the second half of the gen.

Console gaming is becoming more like PC gaming, just upgrading hardware every few years to play the same games but at better settings on the newer hardware.

Stevonidas

And STILL no exclusives. 🙄

Can’t believe Nintendo is going to win the console “arms race” because of MAD between Sony and Microsoft. 😂

By 2034, the Super-Duper Switch will be the only console left and all games are belong to us. 🇯🇵

I can't believe it's almost halfway through the generation. Almost 3.5 years in and both Sony and Xbox have had so few good exclusive games. This gen truly has sucked so far.

Gambit2483

Halfway through this generation and we still only have a handful of current gen games.
And thats only part of the problem. The other part is that they are heavily relying on SE and Insomniac to carry them through the first 3 years.

Where are their other 1st party games?

Last edited:

Bkdk

Stellar blade will give sony a big surprise jump in ps5 sales and sony will finally learn to tell their devs to refocus on what's more important in character design. Would be a huge wake up call to these western devs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS systems have been out for less than 3.5 years (just under). There is no way console sales are already trending down. Now if Sony is talking growth % that’s different as % growth always starts incredible high for any product before things level off. But in terms of absolute units, super successful consoles still should be trending up in unit sales.

But maybe I’m wrong and at the 3.5 year mark, console unit sales already start decreasing per year for really successful consoles or handhelds???

Last edited:

Sonik

PS systems have been out for less than 3.5 years (just under). There is no way console sales are already trending down. Now if Sony is talking growth % that’s different as % growth always starts incredible high for any product before things level off. But in terms of absolute units, super successful consoles still should be trending up in unit sales.

But maybe I’m wrong and at the 3.5 year mark, console unit sales already start decreasing per year for really successful consoles or handhelds???

They're trending down because the AAA industry is getting from bad to worse, huge budgets which results in fewer and fewer games, obnoxious virtue signalling and ugly af characters which make games less fun, exploitative monetization tactics, expensive games, pay to play online and so on. Steam and independent developers have been a godsend, if I was stuck with AAA bullshit I'd have abandoned gaming and maybe played a couple of From Software or Nintendo games every year tops

Last edited:

sachos

Remember that some of the biggest PS4 games came in the latter half of it's cycle, Spider-Man and GoW was in its 5th year, Days Gone and Death Stranding its 6th, TLoU2, GoT and FF7R in it's 7th and then we got the cross gen period with Horizon 2 and GoWR. Im sure the same will happen with PS5, we will get longer cross gen periods from now on.

Wtf
Sounds like the perfect time for a Bloodborne Remastered shadow drop.

Seriously though, this Gen has been so fucking weird. Other than Returnal, no first party stuff has felt all that amazing to me. Sure, Demons Souls remastered was pretty, but it was the exact same game we played a edcade ago. Sure, Spider Man 2 was pretty, but it felt like glorified DLC.

Honestly, the most fun I've had this Gen has all been third party games (either new or replaying last Gen games at 60fps with boost mode) that are widely available on other platforms.

This Gen has just been a perfect shit storm that has wasted all the potential the PS5 and XSX had, including, but not limited to:

-COVID
-Ray tracing crapping on image quality and framerates
-GAAS/MTX/Live Service everywhere
-Anti-consumer attempts at monopolizing the industry by buying out developers
-Cross Gen going on too long

Last edited:

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
So, no more AAA exclusives for a good time, when more than 3 years of launch most part of PS5 catalogue are enhanced PS4 games, and we havent see any "Next Gen" game that looks on par with Matrix demo which isnt even available...And that's how they wanna convince everyone to invest on a Pro model? Hahahahahahaa. I have PS5, and like lotta of its features, but for me still feels like this generation hasnt properly take off...and with this statements...probably ir won't until they make you pay for another system (the Pro)...Naaaaaah....This plus all the Xbox drama (and lack of good exclusives)...worst console gen by far. Gonna stick to PC for the next years i guess...

Top Bottom