• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's CEO: PS5 is entering the latter half of its life cycle, hardware sales pace to start falling from the next fiscal year

Justin9mm

I'd say this was the least exciting gen for seeing what the console can do. I feel because of the pandemic, PS5 started off real slow and previous generation consoles would have had a bit more leap in terms of optimisation to push the console to its limits. Gaming studios overall have performed pretty poorly and the state of games have been terrible. On top of that we have seen price increases when quality has generally gone down. Much like everything else in the world. The Pro would basically be brute forcing 60fps on games that OG PS5 can't achieve because optimisation has been shit.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I'd say this was the least exciting gen for seeing what the console can do. I feel because of the pandemic, PS5 started off real slow and previous generation consoles would have had a bit more leap in terms of optimisation to push the console to its limits. Gaming studios overall have performed pretty poorly and the state of games have been terrible. On top of that we have seen price increases when quality has generally gone down. Much like everything else in the world. The Pro would basically be brute forcing 60fps on games that OG PS5 can't achieve because optimisation has been shit.
I think you are right, the first years also had the chip shortage and the console was nowhere to be seen in stores.

It helped Nintendo but it really took the wind out of this generation’s sails.

Ecotic

Consoles really need the drastic price cuts that used to happen by mid-generation. Back in the day the PS2 kept unlocking fresh tens of millions of buyers at $200 and lower. There were even entire developing countries that were suddenly viable new markets at $99.

But apparently that's just not possible anymore because chips and components just scarcely get any cheaper.

Bombolone

Gold Member
wtf. this gen is hot garbage.
I get it hyperbole, but it feels less magical than previous.
I knew when the PS5 and XboxSeries were spec'd it was going to be a mundane gen.

Glad I upgraded/built a PC this time around.

Edit. Wasn't a fan of the PS4 as well.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

They ready to announce that PS5 Pro
If true...

h41qJLF.gif

RickSanchez

From this point forward, anyone who can afford it should build a decently powerful PC and keep upgrading it every few years. I believe you can manage a 3060 with a 5800X3D with 16 GB RAM in under $1200 or equivalent. You'll have to be a "Patient Gamer" but you will eventually get everything on one platform with the ability to mod/tweak/cheat/reshade anything that allows it.

No need no get any console unless you are really into Nintendo's exclusives.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Games can't have 5 years development cycles. And...
Want to sell consoles? Well, you better release some good exclusives from time to time.
From the top of my head, games that could help sell consoles:
-Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2
-New killzone entry
-New Resistance entry
-Shadow of Colossus 2
-Days Gone 2
i think they forgot why AA / A exist as filler and the filler itself could be hit. i feel like square enix also have this problem. too focused on AAA will runs out money faster and the dev cycle is too long for investment, also still need to face uncertain income later on. the gamble is quite high, what if their slow AAA not hit much as they anticipated? sony and square have lot of 2nd or 3rd tier back before, but now they are seems forgot about them.

Woopah

i think they forgot why AA / A exist as filler and the filler itself could be hit. i feel like square enix also have this problem. too focused on AAA will runs out money faster and the dev cycle is too long for investment, also still need to face uncertain income later on. the gamble is quite high, what if their slow AAA not hit much as they anticipated? sony and square have lot of 2nd or 3rd tier back before, but now they are seems forgot about them.
From the sounds of the next 13 months will only be AA and new IP from Sony, so I wouldn't say they have forgotten about those games at all.

makaveli60

Like the PC.
But at least you won’t have to deal with the shit that comes with PC gaming. Anyway, I just want to see games finally that are proper leaps over lastgen. The only game so far IMO is Ratchet and Clank, that showed what is possible on this gen if you put in the effort.

Bergoglio

Worst Playstation since the brand was founded. In terms of internal first party exclusives, in four years they have published 3/4 titles with strong commercial appeal.

- Console with the least new internal IPs
- Console with the most timed-exclusive third party retail deals since the PS3
- Their biggest studios will release cross gen titles, considering how titanic the production times are.
- In 2023 they mostly only had Spiderman 2
- In 2024 the exclusives offer are essentially temporary third-party content, no internal productions
- No big titles until April 2025, unless postponed. The major candidate is Sucher Punch but none of Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Polyphony will be able to release a title considering their output in 2022.

Last edited:
Worst Playstation since the brand was founded. In terms of internal first party exclusives, in four years they have published 3/4 titles with strong commercial appeal.

- Their biggest studios will release cross gen titles, considering how titanic the production times are.
- In 2024 the exclusives offer are essentially temporary third-party content, no internal productions
- No big titles until April 2025, unless postponed. The major candidate is Sucher Punch but none of Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Polyphony will be able to release a title considering their output in 2022.

If you compare it to the first 4 years of any other playstation released, you'll see that the support is as good if not better.

You're also ignoring a slew of titles that maybe don't interest you, but I very much doubt you played all the other games you'd mention in the first 4 years of PS1-4.

Woopah

Does it really matter if something is internally developed or not? There are still games Sony are publishing.

hussar16

There hasn't ben one killer next gen game yet. Tekken 8 is pretty cool but come on where are the next gen blockbusters. This is why sony should not be suprised when they make cross gen games instead

hussar16

If you compare it to the first 4 years of any other playstation released, you'll see that the support is as good if not better.

You're also ignoring a slew of titles that maybe don't interest you, but I very much doubt you played all the other games you'd mention in the first 4 years of PS1-4.
Except the support here is basicly upgraded ps4 games .they are not true next gen games at all.sony has ben playing around with fans for 4 years now not releasing one next gen game. Spiderman 2 ain't next gen either. It sucks but it's true with the other consoles you knew you were playing something not possible on last gen here it's just ps4 plus. First game to wow me was avatar tho but first party is nonexistent

Im glad i got my gaming pc so that i dont have to deal with this console gen nonsense.
Next gen starts when i decide it does (aka i buy a new gpu / cpu when i want).

Except the support here is basicly upgraded ps4 games .they are not true next gen games at all.sony has ben playing around with fans for 4 years now not releasing one next gen game. Spiderman 2 ain't next gen either. It sucks but it's true with the other consoles you knew you were playing something not possible on last gen here it's just ps4 plus. First game to wow me was avatar tho but first party is nonexistent

That's because you have a false impression of what next-gen actually is.

There are PCs light years ahead of PlayStation 5 in terms of power. What next-gen games are running on PC but aren't running on PS5?

Spider-Man 2 isn't running on PS4 unless you're running it sub 1080p30.

The PS5 is more next gen compared to PS4 than PS4 was to PS3 in my book, but if you're expecting big visual leaps from a single frame, you're a bit delusional. We're not going from 16bit to 32bit. You're not even going to see jumps like from Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear Solid 2.

That being said, not sure how you can look at Death Stranding 2 and not think it is really pushing the envelope.

MikeM

From this point forward, anyone who can afford it should build a decently powerful PC and keep upgrading it every few years. I believe you can manage a 3060 with a 5800X3D with 16 GB RAM in under $1200 or equivalent. You'll have to be a "Patient Gamer" but you will eventually get everything on one platform with the ability to mod/tweak/cheat/reshade anything that allows it.

No need no get any console unless you are really into Nintendo's exclusives.
I’ve been having a lot of fun buying $10 games on Steam that I have never played before. My current one, Dying Light , has been a blast.
And just to think that they are 100% bottle necked by that awful Zen2 CPU in the current boxes….

Real shame.
Even if they went zen3, devs would still find ways to be inefficient with it. Problem with being the lowest- target box.

At this rate, the only real next gen game this console gen will be GTA 6.
If you guys set expectations on a "real next gen game" one the only game that costs like 1 billion to develop then yes...this will most likely be the only real next gen game you'll get until RDR3 or GTAVII in 10 years from now lol.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
man NGL the CEO really should have kept quiet with this one. Recently in gaming spaces the PS5's reputation has gone down the gutter and now italian plumber cock is the hottest new thing to put in your mouth because of this statement. All the Nintendrones are coming out the woodwork to shit talk the PS5

Last edited:
man NGL the CEO really should have kept quiet with this one. Recently in gaming spaces the PS5's reputation has gone down the gutter and now italian plumber cock is the hottest new thing to put in your mouth because of this statement. All the Nintendrones are coming out the woodwork to shit talk the PS5
Sony's PR has been kinda bad lately, they should evaluate how much their stock price fell because of how things were explained.

But they gotta do some homework regarding first party too.

All facts! Great video!

Totoki doesn't care about console wars. He's appropriately advising shareholders on the profitability and the state of the product.

Maybe he could have been a little bit more tactful in his delivery. He's kind of a random CFO coming in and looking at playstation with how he wants to change it.

I'm familiar with Totoki, so it was hilarious to see people happy with him taking over for in the interim and replacing Jim Ryan just because he is Japanese, but Totoki isn't a gamer, he doesn't care about video games at all.

One of the biggest problems for SIE is their new structure that replaced heads of regions with a more centralized approach. There is no Jim Ryan successor who is an obvious choice, combined with most of the original heads of Sony gone now, there is also no obvious choice for moving forwad.

If Totoki makes the wrong choice in naming a CEO of SIE, he can probably kiss being the next Sony Group CEO goodbye. He needs to get them to shift from just revenue to profits, and to being more debt free and cash heavy. With more cash on hand they can acquire more companies and grow more quickly.

He'd probably love to buy a few gaming companies, but he doesn't want to finance them, especially with interest rates being so high. So he knows needs to cut costs in order to achieve expansion. Either that or start getting serious margins out of existing structures.

He may have to look outside of Sony in order to find his CEO, but that's pretty difficult too as it will rile existing SVPs at SIE, so he has to at least put on a show that he is considering them for the job. He'll likely want a Japanese CEO or at least someone who knows Japanese. He has to work hand in hand with this person. It may be easier for him to make a major Japanese acquisition and install their existing head as head of SIE, but there are no obvious choices for this. What Japanese companies have a strong understanding of growth? The only one is really Capcom, but Capcom's CEO is 83 years old.

Sony is in a strong position right now, a lot of that thanks to Jim Ryan, but they have serious growing pains and how they navigate that will determine how they succeed in the future, but Jim Ryan is really one of the last few options from people who were there from the start.

Top Bottom