• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007 - Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

thatbox said:
mrkgoo, this is a fantastic picture, and I definitely like it more than your first bunny submission. I wish the sky above the trees weren't blown out; with some definition there this photograph would be incredibly otherworldly. Although, if anywhere had to be blown out, the spot behind the clump of trees is pretty much perfect, and looking at it some more I'm not sure why I though more definition would improve it. The white silhouetting the trees is pretty powerful, too.

Thanks for the comments. I probably will change it - and the reason it's blown out is because that's the sun there.

A reason I shot my rabbit (which is black and white) was more to be 'clever' and different with the theme. But normally that annoys me, so I went out today to shoot some other stuff, and the above is what I got. I was curious at what a landscape would be like in black and white, or even in portrait orientation.

Here's the colour version:
4zdafdf.jpg

I think this is still stronger... kind of struggling to get tones right when taking for a b&W image. Any tips, anyone?

samusx: shots like that, even if they are rush jobs (not that yours looks like one), often are still breathtaking. What software do you use?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mrkgoo said:
AirBrian: Nice!
Something I took with assignment in mind - not sure if I'll replace my rabbit pic, though:
52dxg04.jpg

efs17-55mm, 17mm, f8.0, 1/80s, iso100

jal: I have same sentiments as Aidan.

Why the hell would you choose the stupid bunny picture over this?

Edit: I mean, the exposure is all over the place, but Jesus, it's a hell of a lot more interesting than a damn bunny rabbit.

Forsete

Gold Member
Autumn am coming

leafs3.jpg

leafs2.jpg

I found this cute little wabbit in our yard.. Didnt manage to take any goods shots without scaring it. :/

nin1.jpg

Forsete

Gold Member
Autumn in america is so beautiful.. You guys have so many leaf-trees that turn into such impressive colours. Here where I live we mostly have Pinophyta (? not fimiliar with the english term) trees, which just turn brown during the autumn. :/

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Another post of photos from a camping trip about a week ago. I love camping and never pass up a chance to bring my camera along!

792428723_718164f401.jpg

792394501_9d49373a79.jpg

793285598_f1392b98d9.jpg

792380705_fb81280797.jpg

792376317_ed624fa057.jpg

792346627_21812f94f6.jpg

mrkgoo

sp0rsk said:
Why the hell would you choose the stupid bunny picture over this?

Edit: I mean, the exposure is all over the place, but Jesus, it's a hell of a lot more interesting than a damn bunny rabbit.

:( My rabbit was black and white, so I thought it'd be a neat 'take' on the theme - but then I realised I was doing the very thing that often annoys me ('clever', but not really that clever interpretations). The landscape shot is something I've photographed dozens of times before. It's some NZ native trees on the crater edge of the largest volcano we have in the city here. Perhaps my single commonest place I go to take images.

Timbukto: lovely images - I'm a fan of powelrines and things :)

Aidan: your images are always so distinctive in colour - what PP do you do? DO you use RAW? The pictures seem very 'green/yellow'.

aidan

mrkgoo said:
Aidan: your images are always so distinctive in colour - what PP do you do? DO you use RAW? The pictures seem very 'green/yellow'.

I do use Adobe Lightroom for PP. I usually adjust the levels and contrast a bit and then notch up the saturation/vibrancy a hair, but in the end I think the abundance of color simply stems from the fact that I literally live in a rainforest. Green is a very abundant color in my area!

I don't think I shoot in RAW. I only use my simple little Point and Shoot and I think it spits out JPEGs. This is somewhere that my lack of photography knowledge comes into play.

Thanks for the compliment! :)

fart

Savant
i'm back! sort of... hopefully not for long. so, i went out and bought a 50/1.8 about a month ago and have been MFin like a mofo with it.

DSC_6957.jpg

and then i decided to spend some time shooting exclusively in B&W to practice seeing tonality. spr0ks was nice enough to tell me what the current assignment was as well, so i did a little shooting for that on the way to and from my office.

DSC_7572.jpg

here's a better conversion of what i ended up with
DSC_7594.jpg

for those who missed it, the shadow of the tree is behind (ie, retro to) the bikes (tree behind bikes, get it?) but the actual tree is somewhere in front of the bikes. is the future ahead of us or behind, etc. har har har. i'm sure nobody missed that the framing is way too tight and it's OOF though.

Memles

From the White Stripes concert I attended on Friday (All photos from my Flickr page):
810190008_ac4dfa178e.jpg

810189842_e931915cb0.jpg

I submitted the next one for the photo assignment...but really by default, I had nothing else that worked.

810189808_79d762c63f.jpg

810189774_40904b5d1a.jpg

810189658_d0dcb691b7.jpg

All taken with my brother's Panasonic something or other...it has Image Stabilization and 6x zoom, which made it a good "Raise camera over head and hope the picture turns out decently.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
AirBrian said:
This is a really interesting subject, but I think you could have done it justice a lot better. This is the best of the series by far, it still has problems though. What the re-occuring problem is in them is that you don't really seem to decide on how you're going to present what you're taking a photo of. Here the horizon along the middle seems a little clumsy and not really considered, if more attention had been given to the structure itself and gradiation in the tones of the water on either side I think this could have been amazing.

I like your first and third, starchild. They're nice.

thatbox

Banned
It's been awhile since I've used Aperture, but in Lightroom the Recovery slider can bring some detail back from blown out areas at the cost of a smooth transition from the completely white spots to the surrounding areas with detail information. The result of being heavy-handed with the technique looks like those lights in your third picture - a harsh, unnatural boundary between the blown out bit and its bordering pixels that were salvageable. Also, what's your Flickr? I'd love to have your stuff in my contacts feed.

A closer look at your image confuses, me, though, because the middle lights above her head don't exhibit the same symptoms. Did you do selective sharpening on the rest?

asa

Humphrey Bogart said:

WOAH! It's funny how I sometimes think that interesting photos should have interesting people, high buildings or insane landscapes or stuff like that. Then someone who actually has talent brings stuff like this on the table and I see how stupid I am.

Zio

you guys are good. lots of talent. i love all of the pics.

i was wondering...
asa said:

does that plane say "AAAAIR" on it? :lol if it does, i find that very amusing for some reason.

AirBrian

mrkgoo said:
Here's the colour version:
4zdafdf.jpg

BlueTsunami said:
Jesus christ mrkgoo...thats a beautiful shot

The shadows and the curving hill bending the shadows. Just wow
Yeah, what he said. :p Seriously though, absolutely stunning!

pjberri said:
This is a really interesting subject, but I think you could have done it justice a lot better. This is the best of the series by far, it still has problems though. What the re-occuring problem is in them is that you don't really seem to decide on how you're going to present what you're taking a photo of. Here the horizon along the middle seems a little clumsy and not really considered, if more attention had been given to the structure itself and gradiation in the tones of the water on either side I think this could have been amazing.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I agree. I did struggle with trying to frame it properly. It's like I knew what I wanted to photograph, but I just couldn't get it like I wanted to. Heh, I was also torn between trying to get the underwater street signs and tree tops in the frame as well as the actual concrete dike.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Here's a few from the first leg of my vacation here in Greece. I have a bunch that I took yesterday that I still have yet to get going, but these should do for now.

Starting off with a few animals at the house.
max.jpg

horiocats1.jpg

horiocats2.jpg

And some random stuff.
goniflower.jpg

leaf.jpg

sandals.jpg

ho.jpg

basili.jpg

sandcastle.jpg

And now for the new love of my life; She was one of the cutest kids I've seen in ages. So much energy, so happy. She's skip to me every few minutes and say, in Greek, to take her pictures, and pose and smile and swing about, then rn up to me and ask to see them. I wish all "models" were that easy to "work" with. :lol

roula1.jpg

roula3.jpg

roula2.jpg

That's enough for now, and probably the only ones for a few weeks, until I return home. Hopefully you guys like these.

aidan

792450973_b792c71584.jpg

792387049_a8c2d52fee.jpg

792362303_9f5a7ffbc5.jpg

792354235_9c18be8bda.jpg

These're the last of the big batch of photos I uploaded. I'll have to get out and start shooting again!

B-Ri

some random vandal kids and local pseudo gangs decided to take a bat to my car.

Destruction is a form of creation.

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

pixelated

Wasn't able to post up for the photo assignment. I had one but felt it wasn't good enough and I was in the middle of vacationing. Got some new stuff. A wide angle and a polarizer. I'll get to play some more with them while in vegas this week.

With the wide angle was my only possible entry
bwcoinjar.jpg

wide angle
optimustf2007.jpg

polarizer
flower.jpg

mrkgoo

Aidan: Stop it, stop it! Great photo overload!

B-RI - sucks about your car. I like how you went and took some good pics though...:D

Pixelated: the coin pic is interesting. Optimus is cool looking - what wide angle are you using? I've been toying with the idea of (eventually) getting a 10mm (16mm FOV)...because when I got my 17, it was so much fun, but I get a little annoyed at the lack of close-focusing... (also reminds me a lot of my 20th prime I took a while back (I might dredge it up later).

I just got a polariser for my 17-55! Amazing what it can do - but I'm still learning - been waiting for a really nice day and time to get a few interesting shots.

aidan

Humphrey Bogart said:
*Awesome pics of videogame folk*

I can't believe nobody else commented on these! There're great and I'm intensely jealous that you were able to be in a position to take them!

Good job!

Glad you like the photos, mrkgoo!

mrkgoo

4vpk037.jpg

efs17-55mmIS, 17mm, f8.0, 1/50s, iso100

676d8vn.jpg

efs17-55mmIS, 21mm, f8.0, 1/250s, iso100

4v7aixf.jpg

efs17-55mmIS, 17mm, f8.0, 1/125s, iso100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom