• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So PhotoGAF, I have a question: As a person on a budget, who desperately needs some lighting, what's my best option? I can pick up a floodlight from work (It's meant for auto emergencies) and can use sketchbook paper to fashion a diffuser, is that a good way to go? I'd like something small, that I can quickly move around.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
1491658_10152213926703277_980451341_n.jpg

Scuderia

Finally got a better lens for taking night photos, just in time for going to Dusseldorf. Still learning lots, but pleased with a few i took.

dhlt25

shot from my first roll with the pentax 645. Didn't even realize how slow the shutter speed was since I didn't turn on the LED indicator.

IMG_20141210_0007 by dhlt25, on Flickr

Also found a dead bee walking home and had some fun with him. They look kinda scary up close

_DSC2725 by dhlt25, on Flickr

am_dragon

So PhotoGAF, I have a question: As a person on a budget, who desperately needs some lighting, what's my best option? I can pick up a floodlight from work (It's meant for auto emergencies) and can use sketchbook paper to fashion a diffuser, is that a good way to go? I'd like something small, that I can quickly move around.

It sounds like you want very cheap or free lighting. If that's the case yes, a shop light, or even a halogen project light for under $15 and you can use anything from tracing paper to a sheet for a diffuser. It will not be easy or portable, but it will be inexpensive.

I wanted to try flash photography so I did some research and bought the following. I was fairly concerned with prices as I didn't want to spend a ton on something I wouldn't use.
Flash - Youngnuo YN 560 III - $75
Remote trigger - Youngnuo RF 603 II - $30
You now have off camera flash capabilities and it's very portable.

Westcott 45" reversible umbrella - $30
Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter - $30
Pipe to handhold umbrella - $5
Adding the umbrella gives you beautiful lighting while still remaining somewhat portable, but it's best if you have someone around the hold the umbrella for you.

Impact Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand 9'6" - $50
Portable, prevents the stand from collapsing when you adjust height. You no longer need a friend to hold umbrellas for you.

Finally we are now well out of the cheap range but I'm going to recommend this anyway. I really enjoyed this series, and felt like I learned enough that it was worth the $75.
DEDPXL OneLight 2.0

It sounds like you want very cheap or free lighting. If that's the case yes, a shop light, or even a halogen project light for under $15 and you can use anything from tracing paper to a sheet for a diffuser. It will not be easy or portable, but it will be inexpensive.

I wanted to try flash photography so I did some research and bought the following. I was fairly concerned with prices as I didn't want to spend a ton on something I wouldn't use.
Flash - Youngnuo YN 560 III - $75
Remote trigger - Youngnuo RF 603 II - $30
You now have off camera flash capabilities and it's very portable.

Westcott 45" reversible umbrella - $30
Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter - $30
Pipe to handhold umbrella - $5
Adding the umbrella gives you beautiful lighting while still remaining somewhat portable, but it's best if you have someone around the hold the umbrella for you.

Impact Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand 9'6" - $50
Portable, prevents the stand from collapsing when you adjust height. You no longer need a friend to hold umbrellas for you.

Finally we are now well out of the cheap range but I'm going to recommend this anyway. I really enjoyed this series, and felt like I learned enough that it was worth the $75.
DEDPXL OneLight 2.0

I'd love to get some off camera flash, but sadly my camera is the A5000, which has literally NO non-popup flash capabilities. If it weren't for that, I'd be all over a remote flash getup.

am_dragon

I'd love to get some off camera flash, but sadly my camera is the A5000, which has literally NO non-popup flash capabilities. If it weren't for that, I'd be all over a remote flash getup.

It may not be optimal but the Youngnuo does have the option to be triggered by your camera's pop up flash. It will work for indoor photography where the environment is controlled and the flash is line of sight to your pop-up flash. Outside during the day this type of triggering will not work.

It may not be optimal but the Youngnuo does have the option to be triggered by your camera's pop up flash. It will work for indoor photography where the environment is controlled and the flash is line of sight to your pop-up flash. Outside during the day this type of triggering will not work.
Woah, hold on, that's awesome. So if I wanted to, could I find a way to mount it to my camera and basically use it as my flash? If so that changes everything. Is there any way to have it then trigger to another remote flash?

dhlt25

Woah, hold on, that's awesome. So if I wanted to, could I find a way to mount it to my camera and basically use it as my flash? If so that changes everything. Is there any way to have it then trigger to another remote flash?

it has to see your built in flash in order to trigger so I don't know if it would work if you mount in on top of your camera. You can use your built in flash to trigger as many flashes as you like as long as they see the built in. Going to be really tricky with multiple flashes tho, i wouldn't do it in your case.

it has to see your built in flash in order to trigger so I don't know if it would work if you mount in on top of your camera. You can use your built in flash to trigger as many flashes as you like as long as they see the built in. Going to be really tricky with multiple flashes tho, i wouldn't do it in your case.
Well I have an a5000 that I primarily use with FD lenses on an adapter, so I think I might be able to find a way to stick an optical trigger to the adapter. Which will help tremendously.

dhlt25

Well I have an a5000 that I primarily use with FD lenses on an adapter, so I think I might be able to find a way to stick an optical trigger to the adapter. Which will help tremendously.

does your camera has a sync port for shutter release cable? you might be able to use it with some radio trigger to trigger flashes.

yeah. To make a camera with such good sensor and no expansion capability is baffling to me. I guess they have to entice to upgrade somehow.

It's just annoying. I figured I'd have SOME way to use other flashes, but there's literally -nothing-. At least it looks like I can grab just the body for $400 used.

anyone ever go through old pictures after you get better at editing and realize you can "rescue" some of the ones that didn't work? feels good mayne

It's just annoying. I figured I'd have SOME way to use other flashes, but there's literally -nothing-. At least it looks like I can grab just the body for $400 used.

Well, if you are just doing studio/indoor stuff, you could use the existing flash as an optical trigger. Just put a white card bouncing the flash away from the subject.

I've done this a few times when I can't find my transmitter :p

ParityBit

I have a question about picture editing software.

My wife just purchased a DSLR camera and for Christmas I wanted to get her a nice software package for her to do editing and photo manipulation. I want to support her hobby!

Any suggestions as to what program to get? We are in the PC world.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom