• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Highness by RapidCancel

A little late, but a lot of good!

Previous thread: GAF Photography Q2 - 2014 by captive.

Here's a few blasts from the past...

Some notes on my choices for this OP, and for your kind consideration when posting in this thread:

1) If you have watermarks on your image, it won't be featured here.
2) If you are banned from the site, you won't be featured here.
3) I've only featured images that were posted in the previous GAF thread between the dates 1 April and 31 July.
4) This thread is about a month late.
5) I've only featured a few shots from any one single user, this is to save space so I can fit more of other people's great work into this OP!
6) I'm sorry if I missed out your great photo, show us your recent work and you may well get featured in the next OP!
7) This thread is best viewed at a minimum resolution width of 1920 pixels.
8) Please EMBED images up to a maximum resolution width of 1600 pixels.

13603356023_a807fd5e60_c.jpg
13603998694_d5dc3f21c2_c.jpg
13604593534_88417cf018_c.jpg

Fëanor;108028563 said:

madp0k

I missed out on my photo being in the new thread by 3 hrs lol
last photo best photo

But looking at the shots in the op, it doesn't hold up anywhere close, some amazing work there people, truly beautiful work.

alterno69

Banned
Sup fellow photographers. I've been thinking about going to the states to work as a photographer, not permanently, just going there for a short season and shoot some weddings. Anyone here doing this kind of work that could use a second shooter? I'd be ok just making enough for me travel and acommodation expenses. I'm based in the south of Mexico, it doesn't have to be this year but it would be nice to start planning for next year even.

I'm a pretty cool dude and i have decent equipment, couple of 5d MkIII, Black Magic Cinema Camera(i could do either photo or video)

It would be great to partner with a gaffer and go there for a month or something, would do wonders for my portfolio.

Here's my website for anyone interested. Send me a PM anyone if you think we could do this.

http://nobelgomez.com/

Addnan

How many Canon 600D users in here? Always loved photography but never really had the money to start it up with a half decent camera, now do. Thinking of jumping in with an entryish level DSLR, rather that going all out. Just trying to work out if the 600D is the camera I should be going for.

Tugatrix

How many Canon 600D users in here? Always loved photography but never really had the money to start it up with a half decent camera, now do. Thinking of jumping in with an entryish level DSLR, rather that going all out. Just trying to work out if the 600D is the camera I should be going for.

I have one, now I'm realizing his limitations, but it's excellent to learn and explore photography you can't go wrong with it

Canon lenses are good but the company is way behind in sensor technology. Get something with a Sony sensor - a Nikon, a Fuji or (obviously) a Sony. You'll get better detail, better low light performance and better dynamic range.

Falch

From the previous thread:

Thanks a lot :D.

It started out as a failed panning shot to be honest but I messed about with the tone curves in Lightroom and upped the saturation a little until I got something I was happy with.

The main guy was a then little under exposed so I went in close with a -0.50ev local area adjustment just to bring him out of the image a little. I then think I just corrected the barrel distortion and added a slight vignette to focus the eye to the centre and that was about it.

May have adjusted the contrast, blacks and clarity as well but cant remember

Edit:

This is the original shot

Thanks for the explanation, I'm always interested in hearing how a pic came together.

MikeDown

Banned
Just took these using my D5000, not sure if I like any of them. Also I love the above photography, I get frustrated sometimes not being that skilled. As usual I would always loved feedback and criticism.

Also my question to all you great photographers, how often do you end up having to travel out of town for the shots you want? Or do you find enough material to work with at home?

Really love all these photos, each has such great personality and composition and colors are amazing! Sooo good.
14689427361_c3ccd76792_z.jpg

14576518487_21e3976df3_z.jpg

14790206662_f975bb0ffc_z.jpg

14668616745_c08f771197_z.jpg

14624201289_3b22c9c6c5_z.jpg

14809056354_b948ca7ca8_z.jpg

frankielo.jpg

Damaged

From the previous thread:

Thanks for the explanation, I'm always interested in hearing how a pic came together.

No worries, I'm still really finding my way with lightroom and have had allot of help from these threads. Got to pay back when I can haha

love it. my favorite out of all the great photos shared.

super edit. i love what the people are looking at. are they happy?, are they upset? that's how i look at it. fuck sunsets and buildings.

Thanks allot, really glad you like it. Honestly though I do enjoy sunsets and buildings as well. Variety is a good thing :)

DD

Just took these using my D5000, not sure if I like any of them. Also I love the above photography, I get frustrated sometimes not being that skilled. As usual I would always loved feedback and criticism.

Also my question to all you great photographers, how often do you end up having to travel out of town for the shots you want? Or do you find enough material to work with at home?
Your pics are great, mate, specially the first, the second and the last one, IMO. You're nod bad as you think you are, really!

About the question, I'm not a great photographer, but I'll give my answer anyway. ;(
You not always have to leave your house to make some shots. Why don't you try macrophotography, for example? You'll find surprising how many stuff you have around you that makes a great photograph.

I took these at my building, some of my personal favorites:

Quando as cores se vão... by DD Sardi, on Flickr

Teheheh by DD Sardi, on Flickr

Damaged

These are really nice :) I know what you mean about getting frustrated with photography skills, think it happens to everyone who picks up a camera regularly.

I'm certainly not a great photographer but I'll answer the question as well. Personally I dream of being a travel photographer / photo journalist so I try to get out to new places as much as I can but there is allot to be said for revisiting old haunts regularly. I have one spot near home I go to regularly through the year and its nice to see it change with the seasons.

In short for me new locations and people keep things fresh but its dangerous to rely on that, I get lazy easily and shooting the same place again makes me work harder for a better shot.

EDIT: Also forgot to say thanks to FatTony12000 for starting the new thread with an Awesome OP!!! Good work :)

jchap

I recently bought a Hyperstar lens for my SCT (Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope) which attaches in place of the secondary mirror and converts the scope from F/10 to F/2. Having a wider field of view is nice for some larger objects and its incredible how fast you can get reasonable results with such a low f-stop. The following are about 2 hours worth of messing around with the setup on Monday night. Each of these three images are stacks of only 1 minute exposures. I mainly decided to spring for the lens for some of the larger nebula which are out during the fall and winter (horsehead, orion, etc.). Looking forward to making some serious attempts with it.

Andromeda:

Veil Nebula:

Cressent Nebula:

I was a bit worried about the quality of the images as it is only designed for aps-c sensors and I have a full frame. There was some bad vignetting but flat-frames managed to make it all usable. I also didn't do any collimation before taking these shots. I need to make a slight tweak as the stars were deforming in the corners of the image. It wasn't bad enough to cause coma but it still bothers me.

Grums

Neo Member
I recently bought a Hyperstar lens for my SCT (Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope) which attaches in place of the secondary mirror and converts the scope from F/10 to F/2. Having a wider field of view is nice for some larger objects and its incredible how fast you can get reasonable results with such a low f-stop. The following are about 2 hours worth of messing around with the setup on Monday night. Each of these three images are stacks of only 1 minute exposures. I mainly decided to spring for the lens for some of the larger nebula which are out during the fall and winter (horsehead, orion, etc.). Looking forward to making some serious attempts with it.

Amazing stuff. I'd love to know more about how to go about astro photography. How much would it cost to get into it. Can you recommend a decent beginner scope, what is a good camera choice, what lens must you use. I have seen a few telescopes for sale locally but can never tell which are decent. I also just have a Fuji x100, should would need to sell it for a DSLR. Also, how do "image stacks" work? Could you recommend any sites to read up on it to get started. Im just considering it at the moment. Also, to get these types of images do you have to travel into the hills or mountains away from light pollution? The skies in Ireland arent always great either, so not sure how often I would actually be able to use it. Any info would ge great, thanks.

eXfyMX.jpg

jchap

I'd love to know more about how to go about astro photography. How much would it cost to get into it.

Astrophotography is a money pit but you can start off pretty cheap. You can do pretty decent with a DIY barn door mount and a wide angle or zoom lens on a DSLR. If your Fuji can take long exposure pictures (I'm not familiar with the camera) you could even use it. It will at least introduce you to guiding concepts and the importance of the mount. If you skip this step I would recommend jumping to a decent German Equatorial Mount as the cheap ones really aren't good for more than whetting your appetite. If you were to spend money in one place first, it would be on a good mount. You will get bad results even with the best telescope without a mount capable of guiding it accurately.

Can you recommend a decent beginner scope, what is a good camera choice, what lens must you use. I have seen a few telescopes for sale locally but can never tell which are decent.

For an entry level scope I would recommend a apochromatic doublet or tripplet refractor. Make sure it has extra low dispersion glass. I would recommend a variant of the ED80 or ED80T. Lots of different companies make them. The doublet designs run 400-600 and the triplet designs from 700-1000+. Triplet designs are a little bit better in terms of chromatic dispersion (they use 3 lenses to correct for this instead of two) but either one is fine. These scopes are pretty good for wide angle astrophotography (similar in framing scale to the pictures I posted) and if you ever decide to move to a nicer instrument the ED80s make great guide telescopes for focal lengths up to 2000 mm.

I also just have a Fuji x100, should would need to sell it for a DSLR.

Yeah you would need either a CCD sensor or a DSLR and a tring to adapt to the telescope. DSLRs are nice because they are dual purpose and can be used for normal photography but the best results will come from monochrome CCDs and colored filter combinations. There are also one shot CCDs that aren't too expensive (500ish) that you can use to start out with if you don't want to get a DSLR. These starter CCDs have pretty small imaging sensors but produce nice results. Large sensor astrophotography CCDs are very very expensive (10k+) so DSLRs are a great option if you want to use a big sensor. You should keep in mind that commercial DSLRs have cut filters which will attenuate H-alpha emissions (deep red nebulous areas). Even with this filtering you can take nice images but the cameras can also be modified to remove the cut filters for better results. There are DIY instructions out there to do it to your camera yourself or you can pay for professionals to do it. Also, Canon makes a camera that is already modified like this (60 Da). I have a modified Canon 6D.

Also, how do "image stacks" work?

Stacking images works to increase the signal to noise ratio in the image. When you take raw astrographs at long sample times the images are typically noisy and the very faint dust trails or nebulous regions can be close to the noise floor. By taking lots of exposures and averaging them, the signal representing real data is always there and stays at the level captured in each image while the noise, which is random, is averaged towards zero. In this way you separate faint details from the background noise. The more shots you stack, the more aggressively you can level stretch the image without it looking like a noisy mess. Increasing exposure time also increases signal to noise ratio so balancing the two methods are key to getting good results. You can either stack in Photoshop or use free software such as deep sky stacker which performs automatic alignment and more advanced averaging algorithms.

Below is a raw image from the Veil Nebula image posted above. There is very bad vignetting (fixed by flat frame subtraction), thermal noise (fixed by bias and dark frame subtraction), and bad signal to noise ratio (fixed by stacking). This is representative to what you get out of the scope on a raw shot. Of course I was just messing around with a new toy on a Monday night with this target. I could have improved my results a lot by increasing my exposure time to pick up some of the fainter nebulosity. Still the results of stacking and image correction greatly improve the end result.

Ji6rMdpl.jpg

Could you recommend any sites to read up on it to get started. Im just considering it at the moment.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/QUICK.HTM

Has some good information. The author also published a book on DSLR astrophotography which I have heard good things about.

Also, to get these types of images do you have to travel into the hills or mountains away from light pollution? The skies in Ireland arent always great either, so not sure how often I would actually be able to use it. Any info would ge great, thanks.

The shots above were taken in my front yard in northern VA. I live out side the metro area but I am surrounded by pretty bad light pollution from Washington DC and the surrounding metro area. I use a light pollution filter which seems to help quite a bit and I try to pick targets not sitting right over the city. Point is, you don't need the darkest skies for good results (but it does help a whole lot).

TxdoHawk

Nothing overly exciting to contribute. I'm between cameras, trying to get an x100s off Craigslist, so I've been shooting with a 5S. My new side job gives me lots of excuses to snap in random places, though, so I'm looking forward to more output.

2014-07-30 08.05.03-1 by TxdoHawk, on Flickr

2014-07-26 06.13.30-2 by TxdoHawk, on Flickr

I forget if I shared anything from it back then, but I hit up the Coney Island Mermaid Parade last year. Still mad I missed this year's.

DSC01058.jpg by TxdoHawk, on Flickr

MikeDown

Banned
Alright so photography-GAF I have a question, I'm looking at several wide angle lenses for my D5000. My understanding is I will not be able to auto focus with either of theses, which is fine cause I can just manually focus. But can you see any major pros/cons between them? I am a nub when it comes to lenses.

Tugatrix

Alright so photography-GAF I have a question, I'm looking at several wide angle lenses for my D5000. My understanding is I will not be able to auto focus with either of theses, which is fine cause I can just manually focus. But can you see any major pros/cons between them? I am a nub when it comes to lenses.

They won't be wide in you camera, your camera has an dx sensor that is a cropped one, so you'll end up with narrow photos not wide

Pepto

Banned

The first lens (AF-S) will autofocus on the D5000 but the second (AF) wont. You can check the compatibility here.

As Tugatrix said neither of those lenses are wide angle. Try playing with the widget on tamron's page to see the differences in focal lengths: http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Andromeda:

Veil Nebula:

Cressent Nebula:

I was a bit worried about the quality of the images as it is only designed for aps-c sensors and I have a full frame. There was some bad vignetting but flat-frames managed to make it all usable. I also didn't do any collimation before taking these shots. I need to make a slight tweak as the stars were deforming in the corners of the image. It wasn't bad enough to cause coma but it still bothers me.

Holy shit. Bookmarked for a Big Bend trip early next year if house budget allows it.

MikeDown

Banned
thanks for the replies, I would like to get some sort of wide angle lens, make things easier, wouldn't have to take as many shots.

tried another selfie

only after taking the pictures did I realize I had such great reflections, so I salvaged what I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom