• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about picture editing software.

My wife just purchased a DSLR camera and for Christmas I wanted to get her a nice software package for her to do editing and photo manipulation. I want to support her hobby!

Any suggestions as to what program to get? We are in the PC world.

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with Lightroom, it's got a little bit of a learning curve but it's very powerful. If you're feeling really generous get her the Creative Cloud Photography Package.

czk

Typical COD gamer
Here are a few pictures of my trip to Andalusia and Gibraltar this year:

0022andalusia-22.jpg

0241andalusia-241.jpg

0287andalusia-287.jpg

0337andalusia-337.jpg

0358andalusia-358.jpg

0397andalusia-397.jpg

0421andalusia-421.jpg

0445andalusia-445.jpg

0462andalusia-462a.jpg

Such an amazing place, you can view my trip here if youre interested in this region.

ParityBit

Can't go wrong with Lightroom, it's got a little bit of a learning curve but it's very powerful. If you're feeling really generous get her the Creative Cloud Photography Package.

Awesome! I think I will get Lightroom 5 then. Any suggestions on a new user book? on Amazon they recommend "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)"

Tugatrix

I have a question about picture editing software.

My wife just purchased a DSLR camera and for Christmas I wanted to get her a nice software package for her to do editing and photo manipulation. I want to support her hobby!

Any suggestions as to what program to get? We are in the PC world.

Thanks!

Lightroom and Photoshop work great together, one complement the other

Awesome! I think I will get Lightroom 5 then. Any suggestions on a new user book? on Amazon they recommend "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)"

I haven't referenced any books yet but I can recommend a few YouTube channels that are extremely helpful.

I've mainly been focusing photography on my other hobby, but here's a photo I thought I'd share here anyway. Mom found an old lens (Literally, several years older than me when she got it) in the closet, popped in on with an adapter, and holy cow! It's my best lens.

Red

I've mainly been focusing photography on my other hobby, but here's a photo I thought I'd share here anyway. Mom found an old lens (Literally, several years older than me when she got it) in the closet, popped in on with an adapter, and holy cow! It's my best lens.

Lenses never go out of style. I have some lenses nearing 40 years old that take great photos and rich, dreamy video. I regret not using them more.

Lenses never go out of style. I have some lenses nearing 40 years old that take great photos and rich, dreamy video. I regret not using them more.
Oh I'm aware, the shocking part was that it was left in a closet for years. Of my lenses, the newest one is the worst.

Groof

Hey Photo-GAF! Photography has been a hobby for a while, but I don't take as much photos as I used to. Not near as good as you peeps in here, so I figured I'd get some critique on this piece I took today:

Fire & Ice by groofington, on Flickr

Forgive the cliche name, not a lot of thought was put into it. Other than that, what do you think? Taken with a Sony NEX-5R and Canon FD 50/1.4.

There's a lot more, mainly regular travel stuff on my Flickr. Feel free to take a look and tell me what you think!

Hey Photo-GAF! Photography has been a hobby for a while, but I don't take as much photos as I used to. Not near as good as you peeps in here, so I figured I'd get some critique on this piece I took today:

Fire & Ice by groofington, on Flickr

Forgive the cliche name, not a lot of thought was put into it. Other than that, what do you think? Taken with a Sony NEX-5R and Canon FD 50/1.4.

There's a lot more, mainly regular travel stuff on my Flickr. Feel free to take a look and tell me what you think!

I like it, nice light going through the leaf and it had a nice contrast with the iced leaves, although I feel like the photo would be nicer if it was actually cropped down to the bottom left 1/4 of the photo... The rest of it just starts kinda looking mushy. and there's some nice detailed ice on the leaves that get lost in the out of focus area.

(I know there's an inconsistency in the tones between the b&w shoots, they're from different films and I've also been messing around with some post processing.)

Groof

I like it, nice light going through the leaf and it had a nice contrast with the iced leaves, although I feel like the photo would be nicer if it was actually cropped down to the bottom left 1/4 of the photo... The rest of it just starts kinda looking mushy. and there's some nice detailed ice on the leaves that get lost in the out of focus area.

Thanks for your feedback! Do you mean cropping it like this: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8635/15887627510_a357069dff_h.jpg ? I understand what you mean by that it starts looking mushy. Might be a distraction?

Thanks for your feedback! Do you mean cropping it like this: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8635/15887627510_a357069dff_h.jpg ? I understand what you mean by that it starts looking mushy. Might be a distraction?

Yea, I'd say even a tad more than that, then again that's what I've been taught.

I took a photo of my brother once where the angle was looking down to him (He was 2 at time time, another tip that I learned, don't take all photos of kids from above them) with bunch of leaves around his feet. At the time I wasn't really aware of how to properly use aperture so the leaves came out mushy as well. I didn't really catch on to it until I showed it to my professor and he pointed it out. I still love the photo because it holds sentimental value, but I can see where's he's coming from (I'd post the photo, but I don't have a scan of it).

Groof

Yea, I'd say even a tad more than that, then again that's what I've been taught.

I took a photo of my brother once where the angle was looking down to him (He was 2 at time time, another tip that I learned, don't take all photos of kids from above them) with bunch of leaves around his feet. At the time I wasn't really aware of how to properly use aperture so the leaves came out mushy as well. I didn't really catch on to it until I showed it to my professor and he pointed it out. I still love the photo because it holds sentimental value, but I can see where's he's coming from (I'd post the photo, but I don't have a scan of it).
I see! Leaves do make for quite a busy background. Definitely something I will keep in mind. Should I have used a lower aperture to capture more detail? I think I was at about f4 on that one. It was particularly cold out so I wanted to keep my shutter speed high because I was shaking quite a bit hehe.

I see! Leaves do make for quite a busy background. Definitely something I will keep in mind. Should I have used a lower aperture to capture more detail? I think I was at about f4 on that one. It was particularly cold out so I wanted to keep my shutter speed high because I was shaking quite a bit hehe.

Keep in mind, I've mostly worked with P&S film cameras for the past year, so they're others on here who are more qualified to answer this, but it's--

higher aperture=More focus, more depth.

Lower aperture=less focus, less depth. ( I think I got that right, I forget. It's an easy concept that can be weird to grasp sometimes)

So it's really up to you, I personally don't think that some lack of focus is a bad thing, and it depends on what you're shooting. They're more implications of what happens with your aperture, and also the lens you are using. Maybe the Camera equiment thread can help with that (I personally find that side of photo-gaf a bit scary. ha)

For your OG shoot, a higher f stop (aperture) would probably have been better.

Groof

Keep in mind, I've mostly worked with P&S film cameras for the past year, so they're others on here who are more qualified to answer this, but it's--

higher aperture=More focus, more depth.

Lower aperture=less focus, less depth. ( I think I got that right, I forget. It's an easy concept that can be weird to grasp sometimes)

So it's really up to you, I personally don't think that some lack of focus is a bad thing, and it depends on what you're shooting. They're more implications of what happens with your aperture, and also the lens you are using. Maybe the Camera equiment thread can help with that (I personally find that side of photo-gaf a bit scary. ha)

For your OG shoot, a higher f stop (aperture) would probably have been better.
Huh, I always had it as higher aperture = open wider & lower number and lower aperture = more closed & higher number. Maybe I had the terminology twisted on that one! But I meant a higher f stop. And since I mostly use manual lenses I feel like I have the feel down on what does what, but maybe not on actual usage.

Anyway, thank you very much for all your input and feedback. I really do appreciate it, because even though it's just a side hobby that I don't delve into as often as I want, I would love to improve as much as I can. Maybe I'll post some older photos to get more feedback from you lot. Glad I saw this thread. So much talent!

Mik2121

Taking the links straight off my Facebook page. If the photos don't show up please let me know.

I'm still a complete newbie when it comes to photography even though I've had this camera for over a year. I just don't have enough time (maybe?) to go around taking photos and practicing.

Anyway, these pics are from a trip I did this summer.

10562621_10152444116128153_660508616683421949_o.jpg

10497521_10152444116138153_6169824478681286133_o.jpg

460165_10152444116123153_1603384699091111218_o.jpg

10007304_10152444116193153_554751305159608368_o.jpg

10582789_10152444116188153_1313878663665496766_o.jpg

10548301_10152444116198153_393465726327558781_o.jpg

10467023_10152444116253153_8786116651042932710_o.jpg

10507108_10152444116248153_9127359392336070680_o.jpg

10494488_10152444116308153_7732316539298836923_o.jpg

10608305_10152444116353153_8509969178310462386_o.jpg

I think all the post processing might be overdone. Not so much in colors (even though I played with them a bit in a few pics), but rather sharpness and other things. I can tell now :/

Sami+

Taking the links straight off my Facebook page. If the photos don't show up please let me know.

I'm still a complete newbie when it comes to photography even though I've had this camera for over a year. I just don't have enough time (maybe?) to go around taking photos and practicing.

-

I think all the post processing might be overdone. Not so much in colors (even though I played with them a bit in a few pics), but rather sharpness and other things. I can tell now :/

They look fine to me, I was actually going to recommend you do a bit more color editing, lol. It's possible the over-sharpening was drowned out by horrible FB compression though.

dhlt25

some more pics
This was taken with my new nikon F3. First attempt at scanning at home using my canon flat bed. I wish I could afford better scanner or film scanning wouldn't be so expensive.

IMG_20141221_0027 by dhlt25, on Flickr

An attempt at long exposure during the day. Harder to do than I thought, impossible to review image due to harsh sunlight so I had to guess exposure from the camera meter. Can't compose once filter is on and had to watch out for wave while the camera is going. Got hit by a giant one and almost kill my camera.

_DSC2829 by dhlt25, on Flickr

Damaged

Honestly I think they look great, as others have said though Facebook does horrible things with pictures with regards to sharpness and scaling. Maybe start using the likes of Flickr or 500px and see if you are happier with the look?

some more pics
This was taken with my new nikon F3. First attempt at scanning at home using my canon flat bed. I wish I could afford better scanner or film scanning wouldn't be so expensive.

IMG_20141221_0027 by dhlt25, on Flickr

An attempt at long exposure during the day. Harder to do than I thought, impossible to review image due to harsh sunlight so I had to guess exposure from the camera meter. Can't compose once filter is on and had to watch out for wave while the camera is going. Got hit by a giant one and almost kill my camera.

_DSC2829 by dhlt25, on Flickr

Nice shots, I always wanted a Nikon F3 :) what film did you use?

dhlt25

Honestly I think they look great, as others have said though Facebook does horrible things with pictures with regards to sharpness and scaling. Maybe start using the likes of Flickr or 500px and see if you are happier with the look?

Nice shots, I always wanted a Nikon F3 :) what film did you use?

the F3 is pretty awesome. Really hefty for the size and build like a tank. Metal everywhere. Taking apart the prism and focus screen feels like I'm taking apart a gun. The ability to use all of my nikon glass is also a plus.

For the shot I used expired kodak portra 400. Not the best film for daylight landscape but it's the only one I have left.

Damaged

the F3 is pretty awesome. Really hefty for the size and build like a tank. Metal everywhere. Taking apart the prism and focus screen feels like I'm taking apart a gun. The ability to use all of my nikon glass is also a plus.

For the shot I used expired kodak portra 400. Not the best film for daylight landscape but it's the only one I have left.

I have an old FE and its similar, they really used to build them well :) I quite like Portra 400 landscape though I have never shot any expired

This was on Portra, really like the way it behaves with strong directional light

dhlt25

I have an old FE and its similar, they really used to build them well :) I quite like Portra 400 landscape though I have never shot any expired

This was on Portra, really like the way it behaves with strong directional light

I kept all my films in the freezer so expired ones are not too bad. Portra 400 is a nice film but it's a bit too fast for landscape, esp with older camera that can only go to 1/500s. I usually shoot ektar 100 or fuji superia 200 when I'm out hiking.
Some nice pictures on your flickr :). I want to get a bronica also.

Damaged

I kept all my films in the freezer so expired ones are not too bad. Portra 400 is a nice film but it's a bit too fast for landscape, esp with older camera that can only go to 1/500s. I usually shoot ektar 100 or fuji superia 200 when I'm out hiking.
Some nice pictures on your flickr :). I want to get a bronica also.

Yeah I couldn't see allot of the usual signs of expired film on your shots to be honest :) I suppose the one good thing about living in the UK is that 400 asa in winter isn't particularly fast haha! There is always Portra 160 but for some reason I never seem to get as good results compared to the 400

Thanks allot, yeah they are great fun and I found it to be a great way to get started with medium format. Considering the price of them there is some great glass out there for them as well :)

HKnightz

Hey guys just got a nikon d7000. Would love to get some advice on photography from you talented bunch. I'm a beginner to this wondrous world and would love to learn!

Sami+

Testing out VSCO filters in Lightroom.

Baby by Discoid, on Flickr

Lilia by Discoid, on Flickr

Hey guys just got a nikon d7000. Would love to get some advice on photography from you talented bunch. I'm a beginner to this wondrous world and would love to learn!

Welcome. :) I just started about a month ago and I feel like I've already improved a ton. I'm thinking of buying a f1.8 50mm lens for my a6000 right now. Be sure to post your stuff here dude!

Grums

Neo Member
Looking for some advice, about to buy either a Fuji X100, X-E1 with 16-50mm or a Ricoh GR.

I have used the X100 before and loved it. I can get the X-E1 with 16-50mm the cheapest, the X100 and GR about the same.

Can anyone comment on the image quality between the 3? Especially interested in how the X-E1 compares to the X100. Is the quality the same or would one have an advantage?

Thanks.

dhlt25 : Really like the top pic. Looks like a nice place!

Testing out VSCO filters in Lightroom.

Baby by Discoid, on Flickr

Lilia by Discoid, on Flickr

Welcome. :) I just started about a month ago and I feel like I've already improved a ton. I'm thinking of buying a f1.8 50mm lens for my a6000 right now. Be sure to post your stuff here dude!

They look great!!! I just got those filters the other day and adore them (My favorite being the Push & Pull VSCO 06). Here was one I just did 10 minutes ago:

15935975557_af3c2cd1d0_c.jpg
[/url]C5 (1 of 1) by astronomicalphotography, on Flickr[/IMG]

I sharpened up the eyes for a nicer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom