• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q4 - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iacobellis

The secret is using the tone curve:

Original:

Edit:

Settings:
tonecurve.jpg

To get the funky colours you need to tweak the individual colour channels instead of just the RGB like so:

tonecurve2.jpg

What would be the best way to do this in Photoshop? I've always had a hankering to use this "look", but could never really come up with the surefire way of manipulating it.

Some fabulous photos in this thread. Mine aren't so good - but I thought I'd share a few from walks in my local area in the last few days. Although originally from Manchester in the north of England I have moved round quite a bit in recent years, but have found myself more at home here in Dorset than anywhere else. So I think I'll be staying.

Break in the Trees by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

Golden Cap by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

House Favoured by Light by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

Iacobellis

An Exposure-Layer.

(i used your original shot, Pepto. If you don't mind.)

Ah, okay! I've tried this before but could always give it another go. Thanks!

I had my first go at shooting light trails yesterday morning. It was, sort of successful. My best photo had a partial chain-link fence obstructing the left side, so I scrapped the photo. I did the same routine this morning and got better results.

I shot this photo at around 6:30 this morning as the sun was rising. 30 second exposure. I applied adjustments in Photoshop and sharpened it a bit. I'm not the best with manual focus.

DSC_5277.jpg

What could I do to improve my next shot?

Damaged

Seeing as my D7000 is away getting fixed I decided to spend the day walking about Liverpool getting to know my Bronica ETRS

RayStorm

Golden Cap

I think if you cropped the bottom third of the picture it would profit (thus the horizon being the middle of the picture) and it having a very wide aspect ratio.

The bushes in front distract me more than they add. I like the clouds and the way the light streams down through them.

Krabardaf

An Exposure-Layer.

(i used your original shot, Pepto. If you don't mind.)

I'd personally rather use the curve layer actually.It's easier to tweak than in lightroom, where you can't scale the tool window. And you have access to separate RGB/CMYK curves, just like in LR.

Love the effect too, a subtle use can really change the mood of a picture. Tweaking the blue curve is kind of magic. Used it on theses recently :

JackAubrey I love where you live, i'll try to visit once :)

I'd personally rather use the curve layer actually.It's easier to tweak than in lightroom, where you can't scale the tool window. And you have access to separate RGB/CMYK curves, just like in LR.

Love the effect too, a subtle use can really change the mood of a picture. Tweaking the blue curve is kind of magic. Used it on theses recently :

JackAubrey I love where you live, i'll try to visit once :)

Love the look you've got there. What exactly did you do to the blue tone curve?

Edit: I live in West Dorset in South West England. I live in a village a few miles inland. So the coast is only 15-20 minutes drive away.

Krabardaf

Yeah the trip for me would be longer, coming from Belgium, but i've been in UK quite a few times already.

Best advice is to play with the curve and see what works best. But basically, while tweaking the blue channel, raising the lowest anchor ( whitening the shadows ) will get the shadow blueish, and lowering the higher one will make the highlight yellow.
Understanding why would involve understanding the additive synthesis, there should be an article on wiki if you want, no rocket science here.

The cool thing is that both effect works well together. Not generally the case with red and green curves imo.

Took a couple of screenshots :

No adjustments
normalovujo.jpg

Blue shadows
shadowsuuuwz.jpg

Yellow highlight
highlightsyouax.jpg

Both
bothckunb.jpg

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Been a while since I've checked out these threads - some great shots here. Is there a general theme to the shots, or is it anything shot recently?

Damaged

Been a while since I've checked out these threads - some great shots here. Is there a general theme to the shots, or is it anything shot recently?

Whatever you fancy sharing really, we used to have a regular competition but that died down sadly

Zajora

I've never really done much photography before, but I bought a Sony Nex-F3 so I've been fooling around a bit..

ibhYXrgyJ9E2QW.jpg

idZRDEBbiY6Pt.jpg

iQp7ysVBP1BBA.jpg

I figure this is probably a good place to ask questions, so:

How do you manually focus on things that are moving? If I try to get that shallow depth of field effect on a moving target it seems like it's impossible since by the time I've focused the lens the distance has changed and something else is in focus.

Also, right now I'm just using the lens that it came with, which is 18-55mm. Should I think about getting other lenses, or will this one suffice?

Iacobellis

I've never really done much photography before, but I bought a Sony Nex-F3 so I've been fooling around a bit..

ibhYXrgyJ9E2QW.jpg

idZRDEBbiY6Pt.jpg

iQp7ysVBP1BBA.jpg

I figure this is probably a good place to ask questions, so:

How do you manually focus on things that are moving? If I try to get that shallow depth of field effect on a moving target it seems like it's impossible since by the time I've focused the lens the distance has changed and something else is in focus.

Also, right now I'm just using the lens that it came with, which is 18-55mm. Should I think about getting other lenses, or will this one suffice?

Not sure about the answer to your first question (sorry!), but a lens everybody should have (or at least start with) is a 50 f/1.8. The photos that come out of it are amazing and it is definitely worth your dollar. The higher aperture will allow to achieve a very shallow depth of field, while also taking in more light.

Pre-focus to a certain distance in anticipation of the subject being at that distance. Or practice the manual focus maneuver as much as possible until it becomes reflex.

The lens you have is good for now. Take photos and figure out what you like to photograph and see what your lacking when you want to take one. You'll probably want a telephoto that starts at the longer end of that 18-55mm (eg 55-250 or whatever lens has a similar length for the camera equipment you've settled into). Don't worry so much about the f-stops right now, though if you keep up with this you'll probably eventually want to get into some faster glass (more expensive). Just take photos really. Take your camera with you everywhere and see what you like to shoot.

Damaged

One of my few shots from the last race meeting that wasn't in the rain

Edit: Some more medium format love as well

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
@guess is that that building they're remodeling on smith street on the south end of downtown?

hEist

And then I see you post and I'm reminded why I don't take that much pictures anymore :p Very nice light and use of blur as always!

haha thanks. Don't be ridiculous. Just post. The more you make, the more you show, the more you learn. That's how i did it.

How'd you like that EKTAR film, Damaged? A classmate told me that the photos came out with more saturation. Just finished my first roll (35mm) of it today.

Really digging your B&W photo of the building, Guess. Has a cool abstract vibe to it. I like the angular spiral shooting out to the left.

Damaged

How'd you like that EKTAR film, Damaged? A classmate told me that the photos came out with more saturation. Just finished my first roll (35mm) of it today.

Really digging your B&W photo of the building, Guess. Has a cool abstract vibe to it. I like the angular spiral shooting out to the left.

Fairly pleased, yeah the saturation is quite strong on some shots but less noticeable on shots in strong sunlight. That's my first roll of it shot but I have a few more to use to get used to it. Let me know how you find it as im looking for a good 35mm colour film

Gonna drop these here from yesterday. Went up to Maine for the weekend.

10278354775_0d243bf87b_c.jpg

10366910216_e47b141b96_c.jpg

10366901415_d743ca9fa3_c.jpg

10366896585_c9d7187da3_c.jpg

10367114503_3a0a5b319c_c.jpg

DD and Damaged, Great stuff there!

Edit: Bottom of page :-/ figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom