• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
boda-nobel-gomez-fotografia-www.nobelgomez.com01-de-febrero-de-2014-22.jpg

Really lovely.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I recently had an opportunity to do some newborn photos for some very good friends. Their daughter is a joy to photograph.

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Damaged

Are these good tripod for travelling?

http://www.banggood.com/Professional-Portable-Travel-Photography-Camera-Tripod-Unipod-p-76317.html

http://dx.com/p/beike-bk-457-professional-traveler-s-ballhead-tripod-black-196840#.UwSb1fmSzh4

Any comment? Not looking for anything to expensive as I am not a professional and I am just going to attach my Canon Powershot S100 on it.

I have one of these for travelling which was pretty cheap and it will hold my Nikon D7000 and my Bronica so should manage the powershot no problems

https://www.hama.com/00004213/hama-traveller-mini-pro-tripod-black

Rookje

Hey guys, I have a newbie question.

I have an NEX-6 w/ a portrait lens. I want to shoot some "photobooth" style portraits some friends during a snow trip in a cabin. What would you recommend for lighting? Should I get some cheap lightbox or umbrella kit?

Fëanor

Been attempting to photograph the night sky lately. First clear night sky in a week!

35sec exposure
skywide2j9uyt.jpg

53sec exposure
skywide3odumt.jpg

15sec exposure
skywidegcuvf.jpg

centracore

Fëanor;101860667 said:
Yeah, this is gooooooooooooooooooood!

Where is this at?

Haha thanks! It's about 30 minutes outside of Regina, Saskatchewan (Canada).. saw the northern lights were at Kp5 the other night so grabbed my gear and drove out of the city to escape the light pollution.

RayStorm

Please feel free to critique my critique.

ITS STOPPED RAINING!!!!!! WHOOOOO!!!!

Not too sure about that last shot, any critique welcome

I actually like the last one best. It's rather clear, not too many distracting elements, the focusing is nice, the main lines running towards the same point, not too busy.

The first one in contrast for me is a bit too busy with all those people, cars, waves, the child on the right trying to reach the waves. If it was just one or two fishermen with their rods and no cars I think I'd like it better.

I like the desaturated colours in all your photos, gives them a certain melancholic vibe
I wonder whether the Mountain in the first picture would gain from losing much of the grass in the foreground.
The second picture at first glance seemed rather busy. Perhaps a bit too much. At least that was my thought when I first saw it after you posted it. Now I'm not so sure anymore.
The third I really like, probably my favorite. Clear lines, clear focus on a large object in front.
The noise on the Highway picture I could do without. And I'm not entirely certain about the truck in the distance or what I presume to be your navigation system on the right half of the dashboard. But in general it's rather pleasant to look at.

Finally processed some more pictures from the summer.

Waterways of Venice by Sec0nd, on Flickr
Reflected by Sec0nd, on Flickr
City life Praha by Sec0nd, on Flickr
Venice at Night by Sec0nd, on Flickr

To me Waterways is close, but something and I can't quite tell you what is missing.
Reflected is a really nice idea. Took me a second to realize what is actually going on there.
City Life does nothing for me I'm afraid. Just a rather ordinary street scene.
Venice at Night is close again. Perhaps if the silhouetted persons in front were to be a little more eye-grabbing by higher contrast and there were no non silhouetted people in the background it would grab me more.

The first few from a weekend in Hong Kong. Really fun place to shoot

I like the idea behind your second picture. But I think also showing the stairs at the bottom would benefit it. And I'm not the biggest fan of the building on the left. But the skyscraper in the back with the pink lights in the clouds, the scaffolded building on the right, the small winding road down towards the skyscraper with lit shops on both sides I do like a lot.
The third is my favorite, perhaps of all pictures I commented in this post. I like the colours and the contrast between cold blueish background and warm orange front, I like the action it depicts with the vendor working, the steam rising. What I just noticed and not like is the third arm that grows out of the shoulder of the man. But other than that, great.

And the rest

I like the escalator, I like the J&S Shoes for pretty much the same reasons I like the food stand picture.

I think your first picture works better with colours than without.

Damaged

Please feel free to critique my critique.
I actually like the last one best. It's rather clear, not too many distracting elements, the focusing is nice, the main lines running towards the same point, not too busy.

The first one in contrast for me is a bit too busy with all those people, cars, waves, the child on the right trying to reach the waves. If it was just one or two fishermen with their rods and no cars I think I'd like it better.

Thanks, bizarrely the local paper has asked to print the third image this week so you must be onto something. I agree with you about the image being busy on the first but had to give it a try :)

aparisi2274

Here are a couple of shots I took a couple weeks back of a snowy Central Park. I took these with my iPhone as I was not expecting to shoot anything that day, and therefore did not have my professional camera with me...

12749256165_a3a78320cf_z.jpg

12749393363_19b84ae9f3_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom