• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My camera (Fuji X-E2) has some built in conversions for film (Provia, Velvia etc), but whilst they do make for gorgeous colours, they also tend to give flesh quite a waxy look. Not sure why.

Replichrome looks like it might give me the colours without the undesirable effects. Might give it a go.

Have a look at the VSCO packs as well, I have the slide pack 04 and the newest one 05. they have built in profiles for Fuji RAWs and give some great images.

Sickbean

Have a look at the VSCO packs as well, I have the slide pack 04 and the newest one 05. they have built in profiles for Fuji RAWs and give some great images.

Nice, will have a look.

If I were to get this and use it on Fuji RAWs, does that mean it would be better to stop Lightroom from converting to DNG during import?

Nice, will have a look.

If I were to get this and use it on Fuji RAWs, does that mean it would be better to stop Lightroom from converting to DNG during import?

I imagine it would be better not to convert to DNG but I usually keep the RAWs as-is so can't say for sure. Might be worth using a test image to see if it makes much difference.

Red

Question for semi-pros and amateurs who have made money on their photos:

Do you guys have a separate bank account set up for business? I am starting to get more paid jobs and I usually request checks be made out to my name, but I've had a few saying "To: [my name] Photography". I don't do enough to call myself a professional, but at the same time I want to appear more professional than hobbyist.

RayStorm

Here is some stuff I did recently, tips and criticism would be welcomed. :D

I'm not the biggest fan of black/white pictures in general, so read at your own risk:
Your first picture seems rather busy and it's hard to make out finer details in the background, especially when only viewing at a size that fills my screen. Perhaps leaving it coloured offers a benefit. As of now due to rather similar brightness many things just flow into one another a bit.

The fish... hm... is it part of a fountain or something? It might be more satisfying to show more of the water splashing down and perhaps cut a part of the fish of.

I think the most interesting part of your "selfie" is the girld with the dogs and backpacks and (your) reflection. And they end up coming a bit short I feel. Then again, without the rest of the arch and the upper part of the window, which in itself has some interesting reflections it might be a bit nondescript. Perhaps looking for a window with similar reflection but without a person and all those other things in front of the window it would be better? especially seeing that the person and her belongings are somewhat blurry as well.

The Subway picture I like quite a bit at first glance.

No Trespassing: Perhaps a bit more of the harbour in the background inside the frame?

Final picture: The lights are really interesting, the scale is too, as is the steel construction and overhang. I'm undecided whether a different frame or just focussing on one of the elements might work better for me. Perhaps just framing the two people that are walking away from you and roughly the lower quarter of your picture? I think that might work better, convey the scale of the steel construction, having a clear focus (the people that would fill a third of the frame instead of 1/6th as now) and removing the half shadowy guy that's coming up to you and whose clothes and shadowy half merge with the steel beams.

Tugatrix

I'm impressed with replichrome, I use them on some shots I never used before and damn this is really good

14746511466_9701bed756_c.jpg

14583044947_f90c5b05ee_c.jpg

14768387495_456cd10cd2_c.jpg

owlbeak

Hi Photography-GAF. I'd like to share some photos of mine, mostly taken with my iPhone 4S since I didn't have my DSLR on me at opportune times. But these are some of my favorite photos I've taken.

Go easy on me! :)

untitled-1uxrte.jpg

untitled-37vpn3.jpg

adssxk0u.jpg

untitled-4qwra6.jpg

untitled-5ebr8n.jpg

untitled-64trqo.jpg

Damaged

Hi Photography-GAF. I'd like to share some photos of mine, mostly taken with my iPhone 4S since I didn't have my DSLR on me at opportune times. But these are some of my favorite photos I've taken.

Go easy on me! :)

untitled-1uxrte.jpg

untitled-37vpn3.jpg

adssxk0u.jpg

untitled-4qwra6.jpg

untitled-5ebr8n.jpg

untitled-64trqo.jpg

Nice pictures, honestly though for me I think the borders take a little away from them but that is just my tastes

Damaged

Fantastic shot. How do you create such an effect?

Thanks a lot :D.

It started out as a failed panning shot to be honest but I messed about with the tone curves in Lightroom and upped the saturation a little until I got something I was happy with.

The main guy was a then little under exposed so I went in close with a -0.50ev local area adjustment just to bring him out of the image a little. I then think I just corrected the barrel distortion and added a slight vignette to focus the eye to the centre and that was about it.

May have adjusted the contrast, blacks and clarity as well but cant remember

Edit:

This is the original shot

There's so much great work in this thread. Here are a few of my recent shots, any feedback is much appreciated.

Church Door (Sony A6000)
14771961572_7791885ed5_b.jpg

Bus Boy Grabs a Breather (Galaxy S4)
10518219_334213603396835_72378088_n.jpg

Red

Impressive shot with the S4, FunnyBunny. I wish there were more smartphone photos posted here. I think phones are underutilized in photo-centric communities, but they can still produce good work.

MikeDown

Banned
I'm not the biggest fan of black/white pictures in general, so read at your own risk:
Your first picture seems rather busy and it's hard to make out finer details in the background, especially when only viewing at a size that fills my screen. Perhaps leaving it coloured offers a benefit. As of now due to rather similar brightness many things just flow into one another a bit.

The fish... hm... is it part of a fountain or something? It might be more satisfying to show more of the water splashing down and perhaps cut a part of the fish of.

I think the most interesting part of your "selfie" is the girld with the dogs and backpacks and (your) reflection. And they end up coming a bit short I feel. Then again, without the rest of the arch and the upper part of the window, which in itself has some interesting reflections it might be a bit nondescript. Perhaps looking for a window with similar reflection but without a person and all those other things in front of the window it would be better? especially seeing that the person and her belongings are somewhat blurry as well.

The Subway picture I like quite a bit at first glance.

No Trespassing: Perhaps a bit more of the harbour in the background inside the frame?

Final picture: The lights are really interesting, the scale is too, as is the steel construction and overhang. I'm undecided whether a different frame or just focussing on one of the elements might work better for me. Perhaps just framing the two people that are walking away from you and roughly the lower quarter of your picture? I think that might work better, convey the scale of the steel construction, having a clear focus (the people that would fill a third of the frame instead of 1/6th as now) and removing the half shadowy guy that's coming up to you and whose clothes and shadowy half merge with the steel beams.
Thankyou for your feedback, that really helps me pin point the things I am needing to improve. Again thankyou I will take all that into consideration :D

Laieon

Recently moved to South Korea, here's some of my favorite pictures from the first 2 weeks.

I've been considering upgrading from a T1i to something better, but I still feel like I'm pretty happy with what I can do with the T1i.

Tips will always be appreciated!

FiC2s2p.png

ubtSvas.png

vpjsArX.png

3J2pHH1.png

nZ1aJRa.png

ENF7OWq.png

Damaged

Processed an old roll of film that's sat in my fridge a couple of weeks

I need to start shooting film more often again

Darkkn

Thanks man, I'm using a 5d with a 50 1.8. I usually shoot multiple images and merge them together in photoshop to create more extreme dof and a square crop.
Great shots, love your style! How do you merge multiple pictures with dynamic elements, like that smoking girl pic?

Took some pics with my Nexus 5. I haven't really been good at taking advantage of this pretty good camera that i always have with me...

On sunny day the picture quality is really quite nice for web usage.. Software features like HDR+ and 'blur' help lessen some of the disadvantages of smaller sensor. It's really making me contemplate exchanging my x100s(phone would replace the usecase for this camera) for mirrorless system with more versatile zoom lens.

2014-07-30 05.44.23 1 by Henri Kotka, on Flickr

2014-07-30 05.33.07 1 by Henri Kotka, on Flickr

alterno69

Banned
Sup fellow photographers. I've been thinking about going to the states to work as a photographer, not permanently, just going there for a short season and shoot some weddings. Anyone here doing this kind of work that could use a second shooter? I'd be ok just making enough for me travel and acommodation expenses. I'm based in the south of Mexico, it doesn't have to be this year but it would be nice to start planning for next year even.

I'm a pretty cool dude and i have decent equipment, couple of 5d MkIII, Black Magic Cinema Camera(i could do either photo or video)

It would be great to partner with a gaffer and go there for a month or something, would do wonders for my portfolio.

Here's my website for anyone interested. Send me a PM anyone if you think we could do this.

http://nobelgomez.com/

FG2 by aandres_gm, on Flickr

I think the 40 2.8 is the next lens I'm getting. My favorite shots are always those I shoot at 40.

I have the 40 2.8 and use it with my 6D as a 'normal' lens. I haven't tried it with an APS-C camera though. It is a very compact lens and the build and optical quality is actually very good for the price. AF performance is okay, but not super quick, and the maximum aperture isn't that large.

Herr K

Banned
I have the 40 2.8 and use it with my 6D as a 'normal' lens. I haven't tried it with an APS-C camera though. It is a very compact lens and the build and optical quality is actually very good for the price. AF performance is okay, but not super quick, and the maximum aperture isn't that large.

I know it isn't that large. My other option is the 50 1.8, the problem is that the nifty fifty isn't super sharp unless you stop it down to 3 or something near that, and I'm not a fan of the build quality. The 40 is sharper wide open, and coming from the 18-55, even a 2.8 helps.

diaspora

Brofist. Though the pancake was never really designed around being fast in the first place right? IIRC, the STM design was more about smooth and silent video focusing with dual-pixel sensors. I still love the size, form factor, and focal length though.

alterno69

Banned
I had a photo shoot last monday with a couple that hired me to cover their wedding next month, it rain like hell the night before so i didn't know what to expect, originally the plan was to go to the beach but since it was likely to rain by sunset, we decided to go somewhere else earlier than planned just in case.

We went to a ranch that belongs to a close friend of the couple and we had a great time.
NGP_1537-1024x682.jpg

NGP_1467-682x1024.jpg

IMG_7987-682x1024.jpg

IMG_8013-682x1024.jpg

We did go to the beach in the end and we had a great sunset :D

NGP_2124-682x1024.jpg

NGP_2050-682x1024.jpg

NGP_1875-682x1024.jpg

I already booked a couple more gigs thanks to those pictures so i'm pretty happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom