• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
New quarter new thread.

Here's the last few posts from Q1.

Fëanor;106278338 said:
Went to Kimbros (local music place here in Franklin TN) and took some photos.

kimbros19tjub.jpg

kimbros2kskgq.jpg

My first attempt at street photography whilst walking around York. Spur of the moment and just thought I liked the composition with the dog, and also helped when the dog turned to the camera as I took the photo.

new series I'm gonna start (8Bit Dan) and this is my tribute to infamous
p485054030-5.jpg

Still trying to get better at PS cuz I usually dont do much other than standard touch ups

Fëanor;106494527 said:
I have a thing for clouds.

5fhux6.jpg

29ruro.jpg

3cgu6k.jpg

4a7uba.jpg

1yxul7.jpg

Old Triumph + Ektar, love that yellow
clouds are your friend, is the saying.

These look very nice.

My wife and I went to San Antonio last weekend. Here are a few shots I took. I tried using just a a 50mm 1.8, it's all I took to the river walk. Any critique would be appreciated.

Not bad with your processing, your colors are very pleasing. I would work on your focal points, or points of interest. In the photos of the woman and the drink its very clear, in some of the others its not,

The wife wanted a few picture of her birthday gifts, turns out the light coming in through the window did all the work for me.

Just a few from my trip to Japan.

Any critique would be great, I'm just a beginner! I'm especially lost when it comes to post processing though. I really have no idea where to start and I just kind of slide things around. I'm usually not 100% satisfied with how they come out in the end. Can anyone give me any tips or somewhere solid to start?

DagsJT

Just a few from my trip to Japan.

Any critique would be great, I'm just a beginner! I'm especially lost when it comes to post processing though. I really have no idea where to start and I just kind of slide things around. I'm usually not 100% satisfied with how they come out in the end. Can anyone give me any tips or somewhere solid to start?

Really like the colours, and nice composition too.

I've taken these the last few days. I've yet to start editing any RAW files because I just figured out that I need to convert them from Sony's proprietary format, and I don't have permissions to install a converter on my work computer (where I do most of my photo stuff).

Still learning the ropes. I take a lot of photos and think they're good in the moment, only to hate them when I get back to my computer and have them blown up.

Collete

I'm an amateur photographer compared to everyone else here.
However, I do enjoy the hobby and I decided to get into it recently.
My recent project is growing Cress on various objects and seeing if it's possible.

There are more photos on my tumblr post if anyone's interested in this:
Tumblr Post

RefigeKru

Banned
Some recent stuffs.

pump_1506.jpg

pond2_1506.jpg

bw3_29_1506.jpg

fallenflower.jpg
flies.jpg

I really like your stuff, StopMakingSense. Particularly the landscape stuff, really nice mood to them.

Damaged

I've had an old 1916 Kodak eastman brownie as an ornament for the last fifteen years and finally decided to try a roll of film through it,

Not bad for a 98 year old camera

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
@stopmakingsense - you have very wonderful tones.

I don't always shoot street photography, but it was definitely fun and interesting in Times Square.

All with D800e and 135mm f2.0

I did some long exposure stuff again tonight. I used the NEX's smart remote app, only to find out that it doesn't shoot in RAW with those modes. So I guess I'll have to get an IR remote.

I am rather pleased with how these turned out.

Does anyone have any tips for how to address the way the street lights flared in these pictures?

I hope y'all like doors.

Taken with my Mamiya M645 1000S and some crappy expired Shanghai GP3, I love that camera. Wish it wasn't so damn heavy.

SBH

The quality of pictures in these threads has always intimidated me from posting, as I have just an old crappy pocket camera, but here goes.

Last week I went to the shop, saw the monsters known as swans were back and took this:

TxdoHawk

Still learning the ropes. I take a lot of photos and think they're good in the moment, only to hate them when I get back to my computer and have them blown up.

Sometimes this is just an inevitable part of learning photography, but I'd highly recommend you look into the popular photo processing suites and set up something for yourself. RAW manipulation and modern software are almost unreal in their ability to "save" a photo that looked better in your head and/or on the screen.

Really like the colours, and nice composition too.

Thanks, appreciate it!

More from Japan, might be a bit too much processing, but I've been toying around with Lightroom a bit more trying to mess with things I haven't before.

Again, critique and anything would be appreciated :)

elfinke

As usual, some wonderful pics in here. The train tracks above are terrific!

Here's a small selection of pics I've grabbed in the last week or two, in medium res - though they're clickable for other versions:

(the CA appears worse here than it does in LR... ah well!)

Hi Gaf,

After a break from photography, I've decided to do a Photoshoot with a girl I knew, something for fun, heres the latest pics, hope you enjoy =)

5b5f97bac57e1777cd883e0f8268307c.jpg

c646e6bb7eb815e7e7679b1932a3554e.jpg

9bb0067700ffe79313182682eafafad2.jpg

6d1cffbcc40f021bd0ec08cef9fe9f29.jpg

dd93ed7b1676401669d86b2a9b3bedc1.jpg

4e9e66f3ac75882c832953a8b2ec93dd.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
One of these days when I'm older and fatter I'm going to splurge and get the future equivalent of a D800 + Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S. And then travel Europe/Asia/South America, and during Autumn go to the NE or east TN.

Aurongel

Cute knife what's the brand?

I'm not quite sure, there's no manufacturer markings on it. It was a personalized gift from my girlfriend last Christmas. She's asleep right now so I can't ask her but a quick Google search leads me to this which looks soooorta similar.

Love those edits, would u share how u did that ?

The above is the raw photo straight out of my camera, shot with an 85mm f/1.8:

13768749675_24c5f75075.jpg

-> -> -> -> ->
13767763505_21508975f6.jpg

-Selected the entire image and reduced the magenta saturation to 0 (removes the chromatic aberrations along the knife edge).
-Image > Adjustments > Exposure and raised gamma while decreasing gamma correction to get a more contrasty look.
-Smart sharpened the entire image slightly.

-Then I painted on some blue hues to the entire image and used the polygonal lasso to trim the knife out from the blue hue which makes it look sharp against the background.
-The snow effect is actually from a brush collection found HERE.
-I set the dust particle paintbrush to white and dabbed some dust particles all over the image and then gaussian blurred the layer and added some motion blur.
-I then repeated the dust brush trick on different layers each with a different amount of gaussian blur. By doing this, you create the illusion of depth with the snow by having some layers more blurry than others. With some practice, you can get some convincing results.

-The lens flare is the standard 35mm prime lens flare preset under Filter > Render > Lens Flare. I then trimmed the knife out and put it on top of the lens flare so that the flare didn't reduce the contrast of the knife.
-The slight beams of light trickling down are the result of another random dust layer with a zoom blur applied to it (Filter > Blur > Radial Blur). Cranking up the zoom blur gives it that neat ray of light effect. It's a good trick for nature photography.

-And finally, I went to the exposure adjustment menu and raised the Offset while decreasing the Gamma Correction which gives the shadows that milky/misty look.

Usually I don't like to rely on Photoshop to adjust my photos this drastically but shooting some still lives out in the woods lets me try out some stylized processing techniques that I later adapt into my portrait/nature work.

RuGalz

Got some free time in hand this past month because I'm on furlough to finally snap a few shots at various places. C&C are welcome.

13717286784_6246ed00f6.jpg

13676106485_d4c00178b1.jpg

13772498444_c0da8f0788.jpg

13713800865_6e30167b2a.jpg

13616503224_26a8a3609c.jpg

I'm not quite sure, there's no manufacturer markings on it. It was a personalized gift from my girlfriend last Christmas. She's asleep right now so I can't ask her but a quick Google search leads me to this which looks soooorta similar.

The above is the raw photo straight out of my camera, shot with an 85mm f/1.8:

13768749675_24c5f75075.jpg

-> -> -> -> ->
13767763505_21508975f6.jpg

-Selected the entire image and reduced the magenta saturation to 0 (removes the chromatic aberrations along the knife edge).
-Image > Adjustments > Exposure and raised gamma while decreasing gamma correction to get a more contrasty look.
-Smart sharpened the entire image slightly.

-Then I painted on some blue hues to the entire image and used the polygonal lasso to trim the knife out from the blue hue which makes it look sharp against the background.
-The snow effect is actually from a brush collection found HERE.
-I set the dust particle paintbrush to white and dabbed some dust particles all over the image and then gaussian blurred the layer and added some motion blur.
-I then repeated the dust brush trick on different layers each with a different amount of gaussian blur. By doing this, you create the illusion of depth with the snow by having some layers more blurry than others. With some practice, you can get some convincing results.

-The lens flare is the standard 35mm prime lens flare preset under Filter > Render > Lens Flare. I then trimmed the knife out and put it on top of the lens flare so that the flare didn't reduce the contrast of the knife.
-The slight beams of light trickling down are the result of another random dust layer with a zoom blur applied to it (Filter > Blur > Radial Blur). Cranking up the zoom blur gives it that neat ray of light effect. It's a good trick for nature photography.

-And finally, I went to the exposure adjustment menu and raised the Offset while decreasing the Gamma Correction which gives the shadows that milky/misty look.

Usually I don't like to rely on Photoshop to adjust my photos this drastically but shooting some still lives out in the woods lets me try out some stylized processing techniques that I later adapt into my portrait/nature work.

Thank you kindly =)

Your image is quite sharp, do you use some sort of sharpness adjustment ?! You'r using a full-frame sensor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom