• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Took an opportunity to snap some family portraits yesterday. This is my lovely sister-in-law. :)

13859479664_3713149d8b_c.jpg

View on 500px.

Sickbean

Wow, some gorgeous stuff in this thread.

Got my first ever 'good' camera a few weeks ago - A Fuji X-E2. Got a long way to go before I'm up to scratch to do it justice though. Here's the best snap I've managed to take of my daughter -

untitled-7

RuGalz

Beautiful pictures! I really need to buy a macro lens. :( What would you guys recomend? I have a Canon T2i.

Thanks. I'd look for longer macro lens like 100mm. Or you can go cheaper route and use
Raynox DCR-250 (or DCR-150 depends on what lens you own). It gives pretty decent results.

Posted these in the eclipse thread last night, hopefully nobody minds the double post.

Very cool! What's your setup for the 3rd pic?

DBT85

Beautiful pictures! I really need to buy a macro lens. :( What would you guys recomend? I have a Canon T2i.

What lenses do you have? Might be better to ask in the hardware thread but nm.

Extension Tubes are a great and cheaper way of getting into Macro. An extension tube increases the gap between the back of the lens and the sensor, so the image is magnified. They don't put anything in the way so image quality isn't an issue, but they do of course mean less light gets to your sensor, so you have to compensate.

I have a set of Kenko AF tubes for my Nikon.

Aurongel

The one night I wanted to take a picture of the blood moon and we get a surprise snowstorm after a week of warm weather.

Laieon

Thanks. Yea I'd like to have a bit more DOF too but handholding plus wind was making it so difficult!

Thanks. I'd look for longer macro lens like 100mm. Or you can go cheaper route and use
Raynox DCR-250 (or DCR-150 depends on what lens you own). It gives pretty decent results.

Very cool! What's your setup for the 3rd pic?

I was using a T1i with a 55-250mm lens, I shot it in raw using these settings:
f 5.6
ISO 400
1/1250s

It came out like the others (completely black sky), but I accidentally discovered that if I brought the clarity up a bit in Lightroom, it would reveal some stars (unless they're artifacts, but I like the result either way). I also adjusted the contrast a bit so that I could get those really white whites.

Ptaaty

I love these. I'm a sucker for macro/subject isolation with DOF. I feel like I'd like a teeny bit more DOF on the dandelion.

Thanks - I had a few others on the dandelion with more DOF. Kind of a tradeoff to get the look I wanted. For most flower types, usually you would have more DOF and still easily isolate. However - that wasn't exactly what I was going for here.

What happens with more DOF on this shot is the more interesting (to me) center/seed structure becomes obsured. The somewhat dreamy/hazy stuff going on would have been in focus tuffs.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well, there's a bit more to it, the D800 also has superior dynamic range, which, while it does help what I do, is more dependent on the situation. Also the incredible handling. Oh it is sex to hold and use.

What I am really getting at is that your camera is capable of taking most everything you see here, lenses notwithstanding.

Is this where the D3200 fails? Because I just got the lens.

RuGalz

Is this where the D3200 fails? Because I just got the lens.

No, it's a composition of multiple photos. I think it's really bad that the mass market is educated to think everyone *needs* FF to take good photos, which is what most of the manufactures want people to believe.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
No, it's a composition of multiple photos. I think it's really bad that the mass market is educated to think everyone *needs* FF to take good photos, which is what most of the manufactures want people to believe.

The mass niche market? I'm just 1 guy here. :p

All I can do reasonably well is bokeh and elementary composition. I'm learning.

Though it makes sense that's an aggregate of multiple photos because otherwise capturing a sunset and the milky way would be crazy.

RuGalz

The mass niche market? I'm just 1 guy here. :p

All I can do reasonably well is bokeh and elementary composition. I'm learning.

Though it makes sense that's an aggregate of multiple photos because otherwise capturing a sunset and the milky way would be crazy.

Just expressing my annoyance about general trend where people are taught into buying FF or better gears without understanding if it even buys them anything. See it a lot in workshops.

heliconsoul said:

Hey man this is where I grew up! I once got so stoned on that rock in the far distance I thought a farmer was going to burst out of the trees with a shotgun and force me and my friends to jump to our certain deaths (the rustling noise was just a badger) and then down by that bridge a girl showed me her boobs when I was 13. Happy memories.

Here are some of my iPhone photos from a recent trip to Japan:

Hey man this is where I grew up! I once got so stoned on that rock in the far distance I thought a farmer was going to burst out of the trees with a shotgun and force me and my friends to jump to our certain deaths (the rustling noise was just a badger) and then down by that bridge a girl showed me her boobs when I was 13. Happy memories.

LOL, small world indeed :)

Just back from a trip to Edinburgh. Between the zoo, castle and general geography there's a huge range of stuff to shoot. Whiskey too, lots of whiskey.

Edinburgh by Heliconsoul, on Flickr

Took some stuff this past weekend. Still getting used to shooting in RAW and editing later. I feel like I go overboard sometimes.

(Someday I'll find a spot to do these long exposures that doesn't have a fence in front of it. :p )

A lot of very inspiring photos on this thread. Congratulations, guys! They're so inspiring that they basically convinced me to get started on photography too. I won't pretend that I'm coming in as a complete newbie but I'm definitely eager to learn. That said, I have a few questions on getting started. Not sure if I should open a separate thread for them but I thought you guys here would be able to answer the few questions I have.

First off, the camera. What would you suggest for somebody who's just starting? Should I go for a DSLR or a mirrorless one? A friend suggested the Canon EOS 700D. Is it a good camera for beginners like me? I'm definitely all ears for suggestions. If budget is necessary to make a suggestion, I'm willing to shell out $900 tops. Aside from the actual camera, what other accessories would you consider to be essential?

I look forward to reading your tips and suggestions. I'd also like to say thanks ahead of time.

Tugatrix

A lot of very inspiring photos on this thread. Congratulations, guys! They're so inspiring that they basically convinced me to get started on photography too. I won't pretend that I'm coming in as a complete newbie but I'm definitely eager to learn. That said, I have a few questions on getting started. Not sure if I should open a separate thread for them but I thought you guys here would be able to answer the few questions I have.

First off, the camera. What would you suggest for somebody who's just starting? Should I go for a DSLR or a mirrorless one? A friend suggested the Canon EOS 700D. Is it a good camera for beginners like me? I'm definitely all ears for suggestions. If budget is necessary to make a suggestion, I'm willing to shell out $900 tops. Aside from the actual camera, what other accessories would you consider to be essential?

I look forward to reading your tips and suggestions. I'd also like to say thanks ahead of time.

Mirrorless are the future, but they are still not as good as a DSLR.

With 900$ you may consider a Canon 5D Mk II second-hand, the problem is that most probably you would have to buy a lens, given that most people sell only the body of those cameras.

Also see the Nikon's, for photography they are usually better than Canon's.

Collete

Choclate wrapped in household foil usually means it's contains fun ingredients.

Haha
It's actually not homemade. It's an Indian chocolate my grandmother bought when she was in India (she came to visit me recently and gave some chocolate to me...I ate 4/5 chocolate bars so far...This is the last victim <.<)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom