• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsguy

13775932143_1779a7d3a1_b.jpg

Herr K

Banned
Could you guys help me with a gear-related question?

A couple weeks ago I had ordered a Refurbished Canon T3i from the Canon Store. The camera was $383 (+ $3X thanks to shipping and taxes) because it was on sale. Well, turns out my order may be cancelled due to weird circumstances, so now I have no camera. My budget remains basically the same, around $420. What are my options? I'd rather get new or refurbished, no used gear.

I saw the Pentax K500 is $420 on Amazon, but I don't know how to feel about it. It has a better sensor than the T3i, but I'd be losing the tilty-screen and the wireless flash ability.

Thanks guys.

Tugatrix

A couple weeks ago I had ordered a Refurbished Canon T3i from the Canon Store. The camera was $383 (+ $3X thanks to shipping and taxes) because it was on sale. Well, turns out my order may be cancelled due to weird circumstances, so now I have no camera. My budget remains basically the same, around $420. What are my options? I'd rather get new or refurbished, no used gear.

I saw the Pentax K500 is $420 on Amazon, but I don't know how to feel about it. It has a better sensor than the T3i, but I'd be losing the tilty-screen and the wireless flash ability.

Thanks guys.

I have a 600D/T3i and I'm learning a lot with the camera, It's a good beginner camera.

Before you make a choice pay attention to the lens each brand offers to the camera, the kit lenses usually are not great and you end up needing to buy new and better lenses, so you must choose a camera taking that in consideration

Herr K

Banned
I have a 600D/T3i and I'm learning a lot with the camera, It's a good beginner camera.

Before you make a choice pay attention to the lens each brand offers to the camera, the kit lenses usually are not great and you end up needing to buy new and better lenses, so you must choose a camera taking that in consideration

Thanks, and yeah, the ecosystem is an important thing, that's why I was on board with Canon. Thing is, the Refurb T3i would be $100 more now, and the taxes would also grow. I simply can't afford that, so I have to look for alternatives.

Thanks guys.

If you're interested in Photography only (and not much on video)

You can get the 100D, 1100D, 550D which are all cheaper than the 600D and have pretty much the same quality.

You can get them on Amazon for around 387$ with the Kit Lens 18-55, if you have extra money to spare, i'd recommend the 50mm f1.8 and you're ready to go =)

(or this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZvAFCt5Sk xD )

Scuderia

Got my first DSLR a few week back, thought i'd give it a run up in God's own County this afternoon. I'm still a massive newbie, bear in mind!

RuGalz

Thanks guys.

Eh, unless you are hardcore sports photographer or video is very important to you or are more interested in FF then I don't recommend Pentax. The sensor performance between K500 and T3i to T5i are pretty big. Not sure about what you mean losing wireless flash with K500. Don't forget you get much better viewfinder and second dial on K500 too. (Why is second dial such big deal? Because on Pentax camera, you don't need to leave the Hyper Program mode most of time. In Hyper Program mode, one dial will change the shutter speed and put the camera into Shutter priority mode and the other will turn the camera into Aperture priority mode all without having to switch modes. And a touch of green button will reset it back to regular program mode.)

Tugatrix

Got my first DSLR a few week back, thought i'd give it a run up in God's own County this afternoon. I'm still a massive newbie, bear in mind!

Nice pics, might want to add a Lens hood to your kit if you don't want lens flare like the first and second pic...

Herr K

Banned
Guys thanks for your answers. I'm working something out with Canon, so I believe the T3i is still on. I am interested on shooting video as well, and maybe even going FF in the future, that's why I chose Canon. Plus, ML is pretty great.

Again, thanks for the help! I hope I can star posting in a few days.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Seriously, with something like a Nikon D800 and a really good lens, you could point and shoot while sneezing in low light and get 100 ISO vividly at 1/600th second exposure...photography is such a cash enabling hobby.

Though I want. I really really want. Plus some traveling adventures.

Aurongel

Thank you kindly =)

Your image is quite sharp, do you use some sort of sharpness adjustment ?! You'r using a full-frame sensor ?
Most of that sharpness is actually straight out of the camera, my new 85mm f1.8 has been pretty spectacular so far. Any additional sharpening was done via smart sharpen with radius and sharpening set to 30%.

No full frame either, just my 60d. It's mostly from the prime lens honestly, I barely even need to add digital sharpening now.

DBT85

Not sure on the rules in photography threads here, but there is a bit of nipple in one of the images above.

A couple from last weekend. Never posted in a thread like this anywhere and these are still part of an ongoing edit (currently boxing up to move house, divorcing, working!) Any thoughts good and bad are welcome.

DBT-2014-04-05-Beaulieu_&_Winchester-0032.jpg by Darren Thomas, on Flickr

Should have used a smaller aperture to get the other eye sharp :(

DBT-2014-04-05-Beaulieu_&_Winchester-0004.jpg by Darren Thomas, on Flickr
First time in my life I've ever turned my camera on a stranger. Really nervous just taking it. Too far away so this is a huge crop.

DBT-2014-04-06-Beaulieu_&_Winchester-0201.jpg by Darren Thomas, on Flickr
Another huge crop, but with wildife they are so prone to running away!

Tugatrix

I need some help, can't access my flickr, I used to enter with facebook account and now I can't, I tried to enter with my yahoo ID and says my account is deactivated, wtf is going on

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I need some help, can't access my flickr, I used to enter with facebook account and now I can't, I tried to enter with my yahoo ID and says my account is deactivated, wtf is going on

I had been receiving a message when logging in for awhile that they are taking away Facebook and Google login. I just migrated mine over to my Yahoo login the other night. Might need to contact their support.

Glasshole

Banned
Can someone tell me the rules? I'd like to post some of my work, but it's nudes, lingerie or partly nudes, and I don't want to get banned...

AnkitT

Finally got around to shooting some new stuff! Freelensing using weak lighting and no tripod turned out to be more challenging than anticipated but I a couple turned out okay-ish. Also tried out golden spiral cropping for the first time:

Tugatrix

13828178793_888600ae86_b.jpg

13828761274_a76f0e34ef_b.jpg

13828285855_42f078462c_b.jpg

13829382604_b8c95901c2_b.jpg

13829096343_8424200f51_b.jpg

These last two are almost the same, but with one I mess around with the colours on Lightroom camera calibration settings, I must say that on Lightroom the effect is much more noticeable than on flickr don't know why...do my screen need calibration?

13828759863_1e44d40a42_b.jpg

(normal)

13828806583_c7b6252472_b.jpg

Leibniz

A few from my last vacations on Europe last february. I did my best, I'm a total newbie on phography, but tried to get the best from my canon sx500 :p. The album has 100+ pics in case any of you guys wanna check it out. It was such a great trip.

teh_pwn

A few from my last vacations on Europe last february. I did my best, I'm a total newbie on phography, but tried to get the best from my canon sx500 :p. The album has 100+ pics in case any of you guys wanna check it out. It was such a great trip.

Looks like a blast! Great photos for that camera. Really shows that the subject matters most.

Damn your delicious D800. I just got a really good lens. It will shame the D3200 I have but soon....

Anyone know if Nikon is about to rev the D800?

Oh, very little about these you can't do with the D3200. In fact, the flower shots were done with a cheap used 20 year old Nikon 35-70 2.8 lens. I have the D800 because I have actual use cases for the MP count.

DBT85

Damn your delicious D800. I just got a really good lens. It will shame the D3200 I have but soon....

Anyone know if Nikon is about to rev the D800?

The D3200 is a great camera, have no shame. Lenses will go between bodies and are the worthier placement of your heard earned.

Doubt tthey'll touch the D800 till its been out about 2 - 2.5 years, they don't tend to too much.

Jzero

For those who download and use presets, what are your favorite ones?

There was a popular set of presets that cost like $30 but i can't remember the name of them.

teh_pwn

Oh, very little about these you can't do with the D3200. In fact, the flower shots were done with a cheap used 20 year old Nikon 35-70 2.8 lens. I have the D800 because I have actual use cases for the MP count.

Well that's good to know. So the biggest thing about the D3200->D800 is not having a cropped sensor? Otherwise the additional resolution is typically gated by the absurdity of 36 MP pictures and how much light a lens can capture?

And also Nikon's marketing department needs to work on their numbers. I guess photography=>ISO=>lower is better so maybe it makes sense. Except D800>D600 so no it doesn't make sense.

Well that's good to know. So the biggest thing about the D3200->D800 is not having a cropped sensor? Otherwise the additional resolution is typically gated by the absurdity of 36 MP pictures and how much light a lens can capture?

Well, there's a bit more to it, the D800 also has superior dynamic range, which, while it does help what I do, is more dependent on the situation. Also the incredible handling. Oh it is sex to hold and use.

What I am really getting at is that your camera is capable of taking most everything you see here, lenses notwithstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom