• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuderia

A few from BTCC today, the weather was poor which didn't help. I got mostly shite, but managed to grab a few decent ones (i think).

Also, since the track is next to an international airport...

13955153615_d3c10ee2b3_b.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Austin:

Going to do some astrophotography over the next few months.

Those waves are gorgeous

Thanks a lot. I turned out a lot like I had hoped.

Here's some stuff from this weekend. Tried my hand at getting some nice shots of the dark sky. A little noisey-- any tips on reducing noise? I wanted to try getting some Milky Way shots, but I think I might be running into some hardware limitations soon (Sony NEX-5).

DSC02420 by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

DSC02426 by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

...and a couple of stone faced Easter portraits (they wanted to see what their iris' looked like; the little guy had trouble staying still long enough to get a good focus unfortunately).

DSC02441 by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

DSC02446 by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

Tugatrix

Here's some stuff from this weekend. Tried my hand at getting some nice shots of the dark sky. A little noisey-- any tips on reducing noise? I wanted to try getting some Milky Way shots, but I think I might be running into some hardware limitations soon (Sony NEX-5).

What ISO did you use for those photos?

To reduce noise you may need a better camera, sorry no easy way to put it. You can try lower ISO with exposures longer than 30 seconds on bulb mode, but I'm afraid the movement of the stars may be noticeable on the photos.

But still they are very good I did no better in mines, also summer is coming and the milky way is more noticeable during that time, gonna try some then.

teh_pwn

What ISO did you use for those photos?

To reduce noise you may need a better camera, sorry no easy way to put it. You can try lower ISO with exposures longer than 30 seconds on bulb mode, but I'm afraid the movement of the stars may be noticeable on the photos.

But still they are very good I did no better in mines, also summer is coming and the milky way is more noticeable during that time, gonna try some then.

Flickr says 400 and 800. Is flickr wrong sometimes about meta-data?

I'm gonna try somewhere near Enchanted Rock TX over the next 2 months with a D3200 + Nikon 14-24 mm f/2.8D @ something like:
1. 30 seconds
2. 14mm
3. ISO ??

Any tips?

RuGalz

I'm no expert on this but I have read a bit on the subject off and on. One way to reduce the noise would be photo stacking using software such as Deepskystacker. (You push the ISO as high as you are comfortable with on your camera and then stack multiple photos to remove noise.) Framing wouldn't be the same from frame to frame so if you want to include foreground element you will have to take a picture how you want the foreground to be framed and then composite the final milky way picture onto it.

It really depends on what you want to achieve: is it clear image of milky way? or is it star field without trail? Really good astro photos are going to need tracker + photo stacking. Astro photography can get as complicated as you want it to be. You can find a lot of info just Googling the subject.

Tugatrix

Flickr says 400 and 800. Is flickr wrong sometimes about meta-data?

I'm gonna try somewhere near Enchanted Rock TX over the next 2 months with a D3200 + Nikon 14-24 mm f/2.8D @ something like:
1. 30 seconds
2. 14mm
3. ISO ??

Any tips?

Mine usually don't get it wrong but is always good to ask to the source

found this tutorial to reduce noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rydg7JGTAbw

ISO 3200 give the best results with a decent tripod

teh_pwn

Read a bunch of stuff. Basically this and that video above. I'm ordering an intervalometer to take stacked shots.

Still seems my aperture is going to limit the quality, but it's a dark area away from most light pollution so it should turn out alright.

teh_pwn

Oh, am I going to need multiple batteries? Even if I take maybe 50 shots at 30s?

There is a lot of good information being posted in here right now. I definitely want to keep trying, and if I understand correctly...

I took those shots above with the OSS 16-50mm f3.5 kit lens. I do have a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 for this body too. Should I try that lens for better result? Will the shorter focal length allow me to let in more light? I liked the kit lens because of the wider angle, but maybe the cropped lens could provide some better results light wise.

RuGalz

There is a lot of good information being posted in here right now. I definitely want to keep trying, and if I understand correctly...

I took those shots above with the OSS 16-50mm f3.5 kit lens. I do have a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 for this body too. Should I try that lens for better result? Will the shorter focal length allow me to let in more light? I liked the kit lens because of the wider angle, but maybe the cropped lens could provide some better results light wise.

Wider lens allow you to have longer exposure before star trail becomes visible so it might be a wash here for what you are trying to do.

Wider lens allow you to have longer exposure before star trail becomes visible so it might be a wash here for what you are trying to do.

I see. I've been doing some visual research on Flickr, and I think I'm going to spring for the Sigma 19mm f2.8 some time soon for this purpose. It seem as if people are having some success with that lens + my camera setup.

To disrupt all of my posts with no pics:

DSC02503 by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

The cherry blossoms are in bloom.

inner-G

Banned
I did some long exposure stuff again tonight. I used the NEX's smart remote app, only to find out that it doesn't shoot in RAW with those modes. So I guess I'll have to get an IR remote.

I am rather pleased with how these turned out.

Does anyone have any tips for how to address the way the street lights flared in these pictures?
I miss DT Champaign. Awesome photos.

Saad

There is a noise reduction application in the store, but not sure how useful it is.
I have a NEX-5 too, here's is my attempt at long exposure from couple of weeks ago:

I miss DT Champaign. Awesome photos.

It's a nice town. I've been living here for the past few months for work.

Fëanor;109157403 said:
Is that dust in the pictures?

My lens was dirty that night. I didn't realize it until I had the photos on my computer at home. Rookie hour.

There is a noise reduction application in the store, but not sure how useful it is.
I have a NEX-5 too, here's is my attempt at long exposure from couple of weeks ago:

Nice shot. I haven't tried any of the apps in the store yet. They seem pretty expensive without a way to try it out. :(

Tugatrix

Fëanor;109162917 said:
Love clouds, so I went out and got me some!

cloudcvx20.jpg

cloud2fcapj.jpg

cloud3wlb6w.jpg

Great ones, especially the last one, love that tones

I was to go take some photos of my hometown from some hills surrounding the city, today, but unfortunately it's raining

aerts1js

Just a couple of shots I've been working on this month. The top is from South Korea and the bottom was taken in Thailand.

czk

Typical COD gamer
awesome work.
name?

on instagram: sebastianskopek

thx hEist & aidan :)

I love photos like these that prove eye, framing, composition, and technique trump gear.
yes, definitely!
I realized this not so long ago and spent a fortune on gear in the past :(.

The sooner a ambitious photographer realizes this the better. Photography is all about the lighting, moment, finding interesting perspective and not FF shallow DOF madness.

hEist

yes, definitely!

The sooner a ambitious photographer realizes this the better. Photography is all about the lighting, moment, finding interesting perspective and not FF shallow DOF madness.

/followed.
keep on the good work. really liking it.

sneaky77

yes, definitely!

Those photos are great I am gonna follow ya too

teh_pwn

If I wanted to practice stacking photos, how would I do it?

I was thinking I could stay within the outskirts of north Austin and capture a few major stars and use that. Would that be enough? Or is that insufficient for the stacking software alignment?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
If I wanted to practice stacking photos, how would I do it?

I was thinking I could stay within the outskirts of north Austin and capture a few major stars and use that. Would that be enough? Or is that insufficient for the stacking software alignment?
What do you mean for stacking software alignment?

Pretty sure stacking software was specifically invented for startrail shots.

Ive used them (helicon focus) to focus stack, just need a tripod and keep the camera in the same position the software really does a good job lining everything up.

Fëanor

Bunch of sunset stuff I have from some time-lapse sequences I did last year.

dsc_5751epccv.jpg

dsc_4729oqcg1.jpg

1213mqfy4.jpg

dsc_8555wqejj.jpg

Gif from one of my sequences. Rather short one at that.

franklinroad11gf4v.gif

sunset1fidfo.gif

captive

since no one likes posting on the last post of a page...

queue ten posts of people posting photos now

captive

Yesterday's photos.

Just a couple of shots I've been working on this month. The top is from South Korea and the bottom was taken in Thailand.

some instagrams with my s4 mini

eb05634cc71711e3b8c20002c9ded948_8.jpg

926140_1397853060489730_724845527_n.jpg

2d6e0678b72611e387440e846d77b329_8.jpg

b7b54930b2cc11e3a2291296008b41ab_8.jpg

927891_294584667361644_443700039_n.jpg

Fëanor;109300071 said:
Bunch of sunset stuff I have from some time-lapse sequences I did last year.

dsc_5751epccv.jpg

dsc_4729oqcg1.jpg

1213mqfy4.jpg

dsc_8555wqejj.jpg

Gif from one of my sequences. Rather short one at that.

franklinroad11gf4v.gif

sunset1fidfo.gif

I took this last year sometime, film doesnt have a date stamp.

One by WRY Photo, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom