• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-Ra

13913204479_9dc1490ed3_h.jpg

14119918993_605e18de83_h.jpg

14096738582_065c7217cd_h.jpg

14096617181_38fd8a0c35_h.jpg

The just-visible spider webs in the unfocused part of the last shot was a happy accident.

Fixed1979

First trip outside with my camera. Really tried to get some highspeed and lowspeed shots for my intro class but totally disappointed with the results. I didn't realize how difficult...actually impossible...it is to get a low shutter speed shot during the day without a filter, I managed to get up to 1/4" when the clouds were completely covering the sun, after that it was useless. The high speed shots faired better, but after reviewing the pictures I'm not really happy with my angle or my subject. And I didn't notice the piece of garbage on the other side of the creek, thankfully I have lots of time to find something better to shoot and most likely order in a filter.

HSCreek by fixed1979, on Flickr

Here are a couple other ones taken on the same walk about, which I'm not totally embarrassed by.

Prints by fixed1979, on Flickr

leaf by fixed1979, on Flickr

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Great shot, love starfields.

Lessons learned:
1. Deer are seriously a threat to mankind. Only armored vehicles should be used west of Austin at night.
2. Don't bring lots of nice beer in a cooler and forget a bottle opener.
3. Be absolutely sure you know how to spot the center of the galaxy. Sagittarius is a very difficult thing to find on mobile apps. Internets are thin out in west central Texas.

Also the milky way was in no way defined like that with natural vision. I was hoping it would be. The sky was only brighter where it was. The image I posted was a stack of

4. I think a quality timer/camera is needed. I had another set of images that just would not stack in photoshop. I suspect it's because the timing between shots was off, or I didn't apply a precise foreground mask, or someone drove through and messed up the lighting in one shot, or I accidentally nudged the tripod ever so slightly screwing up the alignment/median algorithm. You sort of prepare for these things but when you're outside with 0 light whatsoever it's different.

Damaged

^ Love your motorsports stuff and the Japan pics you posted in the other thread. What races do you usually cover?

Thanks allot :) I have worked with the UK and European historic F3 associations the past year or so now which is allot of fun. Sadly it's not something that I think I'll be able to carry on doing much in the UK as getting media passes is getting more difficult, especially the level of public liability insurance you need.

Edit: my pictures from last year should be on the race reports of both these sites - http://www.1000ccf3historicracingassociation.org.uk/ and http://www.f3historic.com/ (sadly missed this years European race at mugello)

Going to be back in Japan in a week so will be posting a load more pictures here soon!

Hey guys, I'm a tad new to photography and the only training that I've had with DSLR cameras was back in high school media arts, but I've been thinking of getting a camera so that I can take proper pictures for my blog.
Right now I'm looking at a Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2MP DSLR, would this be a good choice for a beginner?
I don't think I'll be getting any extra lenses or things like that, but I would to take pictures on something that's not a cellphone.

Thanks allot :) I have worked with the UK and European historic F3 associations the past year or so now which is allot of fun. Sadly it's not something that I think I'll be able to carry on doing much in the UK as getting media passes is getting more difficult, especially the level of public liability insurance you need.

Edit: my pictures from last year should be on the race reports of both these sites - http://www.1000ccf3historicracingassociation.org.uk/ and http://www.f3historic.com/ (sadly missed this years European race at mugello)

Going to be back in Japan in a week so will be posting a load more pictures here soon!

How tough is it to get media passes? Always wanted to try that at a motosports event, but don't really know what it entails. Came back from the MotoGP race in COTA last month and it always sucks that there's some sort of chain fence blocking your photos or not being able to get as close as you want.

Damaged

How tough is it to get media passes? Always wanted to try that at a motosports event, but don't really know what it entails. Came back from the MotoGP race in COTA last month and it always sucks that there's some sort of chain fence blocking your photos or not being able to get as close as you want.

In the UK you need proof that you are working for magazine, have been published and have public liability insurance up to 10 million pounds... In France I left a €50 deposit....

It's an amazing experience hanging over the wall while people throw cars at you haha.

Give it a try, I only got started by asking once and bluffing my way into it.

In the UK you need proof that you are working for magazine, have been published and have public liability insurance up to 10 million pounds... In France I left a €50 deposit....

It's an amazing experience hanging over the wall while people throw cars at you haha.

Give it a try, I only got started by asking once and bluffing my way into it.

Welp, guess that rules me out lol. Maybe some day then :( Until then, I'll just take pics at track days or something.

Has anyone ever published a photobook just to put on their own coffee table or anything from flickr? How was the quality and etc?

Fixed1979

I always get an urge to travel every time I come in here! Picked up an SEL5018 earlier this week but haven't had much of an opportunity to use it. I also had a remote and ND filters show up today so I'm pretty excited to mess around with those over the weekend.

^ What's the story with that last shot there 3up?

Untitled by O. S. E., on Flickr

Took the EF-S 55-250mm out to Claremont Gardens today. Still getting to grips with it, like what auto focus and exposure modes to use.

The first two shots were a complete fluke, but I like the chaos in them.

The cat seemingly had the run of the whole gardens.

Banquo

Neo Member
Hey, my first post here at Gaf. I've been checking your photos for a long time now and have seen some awesome stuff.
I wanted to share some of my latest too, most of them taken with the Sony A7r.

Aurongel

Hey, my first post here at Gaf. I've been checking your photos for a long time now and have seen some awesome stuff.
I wanted to share some of my latest too, most of them taken with the Sony A7r.

Welcome to GAF friend.

I have to ask how you took these two shots, they look like a combination of low shutter speed and panning but i'm not sure.

Herr K

Banned
There was a show yesterday and I took a couple pictures. With the 18-55, this is the best I could do

Maybe I went a little over with the saturation. Yes, they're screenshots. I was easier that way, sorry.

Banquo

Neo Member
Welcome to GAF friend.

I have to ask how you took these two shots, they look like a combination of low shutter speed and panning but i'm not sure.

First one through panning and the second one was just a low shutter speed shot (1/13 s/F5) :)

Fëanor

Went to the farm!!!

Well they made it into a dog park/trail park.

farm7lbv0.jpg

farm1bjxyu.jpg

farm29ma0c.jpg

farm306zlt.jpg

flowerxay5f.jpg

dsc_0114-2adxlq.jpg

Wish I could do better with the moon, oh wells. 18-200mm lens its an awesome all purpose piece of glass. Flower was 50mm f/1.8.

Damaged

Right, one last racing shot before I spam this place up with pictures when I get back from my Japan trip in a couple of weeks, you have all been warned...

Just developed a Kodak Portra 400 roll. Shot with a Rollei35. Had an open question for all about how you process your film? There's a local camera store but they've stopped developing film. I've just been taking in my rolls into Walgreens (All Purpose pharmacy store for Non-Americans), can't complain so far but was curious if others mailed them out to places that specialize in developing or just stick to local stores that can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom