• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

14448302510_f2b4ee538c_c.jpg

14448321938_77063cd2b6_c.jpg

14631686601_b71bed3480_c.jpg

14631668941_3ab974136b_c.jpg

Photos by NLopes16

jchap

There is a supermoon this weekend... Very very bright and it appears large in the sky. Still, I wanted to try some periodic error correction training and a flat frame box I made. So when the full moon is 30% brighter than average you basically get a washed out glow across your entire image.... I messed around and took about 2 hours of exposures on the iris nebula anyway. The good was my light box worked well and my tracking is getting better with the off axis guider. The bad... well you can barely make out the nebula because of the sky glow.

Tonight I will have no such delusions of deep space imaging. I think I might try some HDR shots of the moon through the scope at F/10.

Edit:

I couldn't resist.... Took a few shots of M13 a globular cluster of stars while I was waiting for the moon to rise. Got a lot of moon shots too but I'll mess with them tomorrow.

Mtk5ASc.jpg

i-Lo

jchap those are some amazing shots. Wouldn't be out of place in the Astronomy thread.

D7000 + 1.8G: St. John's harbour aboard an AHTS vessel:

tumblr_n8bb10dum61rqsvqjo4_1280.jpg

Nexus 5: Prelude to anchor handling operation for G.S.F Grandbanks oil platform from aboard an AHTS vessel

tumblr_n8baofkcmv1rqsvqjo1_1280.jpg

Jzero

What do you guys think about the definition of the word selfie? Are all self portraits considered selfies?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I couldn't resist.... Took a few shots of M13 a globular cluster of stars while I was waiting for the moon to rise. Got a lot of moon shots too but I'll mess with them tomorrow.

Mtk5ASc.jpg

Nice!

My telescoping should happen early next year. Currently I'm focused on home ownership with my fiance. Thanks again for your help, I hope to get close to the shots you're getting.

jokkir

So my friend is asking me to be a photographer for his birthday event which is a DOTA 2 viewing party at a theatre. Am I crazy for wanting to take pictures with a QX100/RX100ii instead of a DSLR? I'm really used to this camera and thinks it takes great pictures so far so I'm more comfortable with taking pictures with it. However, the DSLR should, technically, take better pictures, right?

This isn't paid so I'm not caring that much and since it's a theatre I probably won't be using a flash. Also, any tips for taking photos in an event like this?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, I haven't made the jump to a legit camera yet so these are all from my Nexus 4 but I've really grown to love my new hobby so I hope you folks will indulge me a few pictures. It's really helped me get over my most recent breakup.

RayStorm

[]http://i.imgur.com/oQ3YZxt.jpg []http://i.imgur.com/N70qxOo.jpg []http://i.imgur.com/OvcEmnf.jpg
[]http://i.imgur.com/yMQhPM1.jpg

I think the third alley picture is by far the best of that bunch. In fact the first two are a bit plain imho.

The bug picture I like, but I think you should have given the foreground (bug and rock) more space, filling maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the frame.

Fëanor;121228612 said:
I really like the sunset reflection. The other pictures are imho not quite there yet. While the orange moon and the still slightly blue sky are interesting and the buildings in the foreground are as well, the composition could be improved. Unlit as they are they are just not that exciting to be given as much space. The moon is the star of the show but is not featured as such.

Well, I haven't made the jump to a legit camera yet so these are all from my Nexus 4 but I've really grown to love my new hobby.

I think you should make the jump. I believe your equipment limits you. The image quality is a bit of a let down when viewing your photos in full size, because in small they are rather nice.

Some decent shots from yesterday. First time using this camera so any criticism is welcome.

Some more or less general technical critique of the first (and third) picture:
The settings you used are not what you want to use. F25 and 1/25 results in what you got more often than not - a blurry image. I wouldn't go much higher than F12. Consequently when not using a tripod I wouldn't go below 1/Focal Length. In that case 1/50 second.

I believe you also overexposed your images a bit. Which results in the apparently overcast sky becoming even more boring than it would have been otherwise.

Third picture: I think it would have been better to get the statues bigger in the frame, perhaps focusing on one rather than trying to depict all 3. A bit of bokeh (blurring of back/foreground) wouldn't have hurt either. But F11 pretty much killed the chance of that happening.

I think the third alley picture is by far the best of that bunch. In fact the first two are a bit plain imho.

The bug picture I like, but I think you should have given the foreground (bug and rock) more space, filling maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the frame.

I really like the sunset reflection. The other pictures are imho not quite there yet. While the orange moon a still slightly blue sky are interesting and the building in the foreground are as well, the composition could be improved. It's close but not really that exciting.

I think you should make the jump. I think your equipment limits you. The image quality is a bit of a let down when viewing your photos in full size.

Some technical critique about the first (and third) picture:
The settings you used are not what you want to use. F25 and 1/25 results in what you got more often than not - a blurry image. I wouldn't go much higher than F12. Consequently when not using a tripod I wouldn't go below 1/Focal Length. In that case 1/50 second.

I believe you also overexposed your images a bit resulting in the apparently overcast sky becoming even more boring than it would have been otherwise.

Third picture: I think it would have been better to get the statues bigger in the picture, perhaps focusing on one rather than trying to depict all 3. A bit of bokeh wouldn't have hurt either. But F11 pretty much killed the chance of that happening.

Thanks for the critique man. I'm extremely new to photography so I'll take that advice as I try to improve.

It's been awhile since I've had time to approach my ever-growing backlog of photographs. These are from a trip to the San Diego Zoo some time back.

14431120763_990c210191_c.jpg
14409809254_a702fdd6c7_c.jpg
14224352670_fe73379b67_c.jpg
14224306269_3fb5886396_c.jpg

14224216289_117670008f_c.jpg

I went for a climb up the hill that overlooks our village yesterday. It was pretty hazy but I got a few shots I'm happy with. Although it's the highest hill in Dorset (which isn't saying much) the summit is covered in trees, so most of the pictures are from halfway up.

Lewesdon Hill 019 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

jokkir

How do you manage indoor shots like this with such deep focus and so little noise? I've never been able to get sharp, clean photos in dim lighting. Concert and backstage photography is a mystery to me.

I actually have no idea lol. The entire time I was hoping I could keep still enough so it wouldn't blur but I'm sure that a monopod would really help in this situation

More from the same event:
Gaming @ UNIUN night club by simulatron, on Flickr

Bar by simulatron, on Flickr

And random photo from today:
Yellow Station by simulatron, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom