• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q2 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

How did you make that effect? it's amazing

Really? I thought that people would may find it kind of lame. It took me some time and courage to put that up. Thank you for the kind words.

My camera is an old Sony H50. It doesn't have panoramic function, but I always wanted to take panoramas of this place. So I took a lot of photos, and united them with Photoshop, using "drop shadow" on the blending options. Then I used CameraBag 2 to apply a filter on it.

Flo_Evans

love this thing!

Ranger

Unfortunately the top of his nose is a little blown... tried to recover it but I am not to familiar with nikons NX-D software (not many RAW converters out now) might retry in Adobe camera RAW, they have a beta release that supports the 810.

Bramble

You really gotta click this one. I uploaded at full res, the detail is amazing!

DSC_0290

Some dudes grinding some stuff.

Tugatrix

14756053183_33daab355a_c.jpg

(I might have overuse the grain effect)

14549536830_0703a9ca88_c.jpg

14733038321_d371bb03e3_c.jpg

14549607048_96eab9b55b_b.jpg

14736269245_28aabb34da_c.jpg

Photos by NLopes16

More to come soon

Hmm, didn't knew that. But how does it deal with the vignetting? Thanks for the info!

It autocorrects it in the content blend, generally. There's a setting for vignetting correction as well, which is more heavy handed and uses lens profiles, I think.

Adobe Photomerge has been pretty fantastic since about CS4 or so.

Some shots from a family vacation at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Beautiful place.

Twelve Mile Beach by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

Forest by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

Hurricane River by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

Toad by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

More on Flickr.

I really wanted to pick up an ND filter before leaving so I could take cool waterfall pictures, but I couldn't grab one anywhere fast enough that fits the kit lens for the Sony NEX-5. I did grab this one without a filter or tripod after hiking all day to our back country camping spot; it came out alright. It was shortly after sundown and I thought it was worth a try.

Chapel Beach by tylerjacobs, on Flickr

Aurongel

Family photos for some close friends (and their adorable daughter!)

4.jpg

Amazing work.

I nosed through your EXIF data a bit, is it true you shot this with a 5D Classic? Also, how on earth did you get such soft lighting on your subjects during a sunny day?

DD

Photoshop has an amazing auto stitching if you ever want to make seamless panorama photos.

File>Automate>Photomerge

This one started with about 8+ photos! The orig file is 77.5 million pixels and a 225mb tiff file.
Park-City-Pano by QualityPixel, on Flickr
It autocorrects it in the content blend, generally. There's a setting for vignetting correction as well, which is more heavy handed and uses lens profiles, I think.

Adobe Photomerge has been pretty fantastic since about CS4 or so.
Holly shit, it works!

inOYRpTF5U123.jpg

Thank you, guys!

EDIT: and yes, there's a guy giving me the finger. It my f* cousin.

EDIT 2: a new one:

Guaraparí por DD Sardi, no Flickr

Flo_Evans

Bleh. I just noticed photoshop was stripping my EXIF camera data, so I redid them, but didn't convert to sRGB for web, now they are slightly off. And it seems if you replace a photo in flickr it kills all the links.

Hmm, didn't knew that. But how does it deal with the vignetting? Thanks for the info!

I handles vignetting fairly well, but you'll probably want to shoot at an f-stop that does not vignette very much. It also works best if you shoot each image at the same exposure settings. The image I posted was pretty much how it came out of photomerge, but then cleaned up the edges.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Amazing work.

I nosed through your EXIF data a bit, is it true you shot this with a 5D Classic? Also, how on earth did you get such soft lighting on your subjects during a sunny day?

Thanks so much! :)

Those were shot with a Canon 5D Classic + Canon 70-200mm f/4. It's not the most advanced setup, but it does me pretty well.

The photos were taken at about 6:15 in the evening, so, though it was sunny that day, the evening light soften a lot. We were also a few hundred feet above sea level, which put the sun at a more favourable angle for shooting. Evening summer light in this neck of the woods (Victoria, BC) is pretty lovely for photographs.

Flo_Evans

Some shots from a family vacation at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Beautiful place.

I really dig the processing on these. I am always so tempted to grab the definition/clarity/sharpen/contrast slider and crank it to 11. Very evocative and fits the setting perfectly.

I really dig the processing on these. I am always so tempted to grab the definition/clarity/sharpen/contrast slider and crank it to 11. Very evocative and fits the setting perfectly.

Thanks a lot! I am inspired a lot by the VSCO look so I tend to try to drive things on those directions... I also spent a great deal of my time in my teens to early 20s as an designer/art student so I can't help but tinker. ;)

Tugatrix

Why on earth some of my photos look good in Lightroom, but then in some screens they look like they have tons of chromatic aberration

The RAF Red Arrows were displaying nearby last night, so we took the kids down to the beach to watch. Normally I'd take my big camera, lenses etc. But I couldn't be bothered. Just took my little Canon Powershot S120 - but am still pretty happy with some of the shots I got:

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 508 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 468 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 422 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 715 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

jet1911

The RAF Red Arrows were displaying nearby last night, so we took the kids down to the beach to watch. Normally I'd take my big camera, lenses etc. But I couldn't be bothered. Just took my little Canon Powershot S120 - but am still pretty happy with some of the shots I got:

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 508 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 468 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 422 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

2014-07-24 Red Arrows Charmouth 715 by Grumpyrocker, on Flickr

Amazing shots.

Tugatrix

Fëanor

I'm still deciding if I want to spend money on that or get a new lens. I got their sample download that contains presets from both replichrome packs.

Tugatrix

14738821996_b335130072_c.jpg

14761532072_58ea2db4f6_c.jpg

14575382797_e498d73248_c.jpg

I gave a try to replichrome this is the result, I really like the film look on the footage I don't know why but make the shots more beautiful

14759494694_6a65109e60_c.jpg

14575178230_0f3400fbbf_c.jpg

These last two I edit them myself no replichrome

photos by NLopes16

Sickbean

Kind of, It's pretty expensive but really emulates the film look. I'm using the trial and considering to buy it

My camera (Fuji X-E2) has some built in conversions for film (Provia, Velvia etc), but whilst they do make for gorgeous colours, they also tend to give flesh quite a waxy look. Not sure why.

Replichrome looks like it might give me the colours without the undesirable effects. Might give it a go.

besada

Banned
Wow, the lake shore one is stunning, where was that taken?

They're all from Yellowstone/Glacier National Park. That one is St. Mary's Lake in Glacier National Park. We parked on the road and hiked down to the water's edge. It was very cold.

Sickbean

They're all from Yellowstone/Glacier National Park. That one is St. Mary's Lake in Glacier National Park. We parked on the road and hiked down to the water's edge. It was very cold.

Hope you still went for a paddle. We used to paddle in Loch Lomond in the winter, cold enough to snap your tendons!

RayStorm

Damn so many great pictures, so many great photographers!
Here is some stuff I did recently, tips and criticism would be welcomed. :D

Please insert one empty line between each picture. Without that it's a bit difficult to actually discern where one image ends and the next one begins. They ought to have some separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom