• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

hEist

like it.

So, i've got a question. well, it's not about photography, more about copyright etc. and if someone had the same issue or had an idea, how to solve the problem.

Some of my images are sold by Getty Images/ plainpicture (.de). So i don't need to get in touch, if a company uses one of my images, without any license.

But there are some images, that are not on above agencies but on flickr. Copyright still mine.

There is this giant, i mean really giant Chinese company, who is using one of my images on a banner on there site, without asking/licensing etc. Image is only on flickr, well and don't know where people shared it (with my normal watermark on it)

Well, they also placed their own watermark on it... and so far from what i heard, they got about 60 million visits daily (the whole site). So quite a huge damage of my copyright, believing only 1% of them go to the subside(s).
DMCA will definitely not work, servers are in china. I already contacted them thru mail (well, only 2 support addresses are available), don't think they will forward this email up.

I also found the e-mail of the pr guy and mailed him, about the issue and if he could forward the mail to the responsible person. No answer so far.

And right now, i don't know what to do. Well legal things will only work, if i am in china i think. Any idea? (sorry for my english, kinda pissed in moment...)

DD

like it.

So, i've got a question. well, it's not about photography, more about copyright etc. and if someone had the same issue or had an idea, how to solve the problem.

Some of my images are sold by Getty Images/ plainpicture (.de). So i don't need to get in touch, if a company uses one of my images, without any license.

But there are some images, that are not on above agencies but on flickr. Copyright still mine.

There is this giant, i mean really giant Chinese company, who is using one of my images on a banner on there site, without asking/licensing etc. Image is only on flickr, well and don't know where people shared it (with my normal watermark on it)

Well, they also placed their own watermark on it... and so far from what i heard, they got about 60 million visits daily (the whole site). So quite a huge damage of my copyright, believing only 1% of them go to the subside(s).
DMCA will definitely not work, servers are in china. I already contacted them thru mail (well, only 2 support addresses are available), don't think they will forward this email up.

I also found the e-mail of the pr guy and mailed him, about the issue and if he could forward the mail to the responsible person. No answer so far.

And right now, i don't know what to do. Well legal things will only work, if i am in china i think. Any idea? (sorry for my english, kinda pissed in moment...)
hahaha_thats_the_jokex0s96.jpg

Just kiddin', sorry. That sux, bro. Had the same problem, but in a much smaller scale. =/

Damaged

Finally took the plunge into pushing film speeds today and shot a roll of Ilford Delta 400 at 3200. It all went great until I realised that my developer wasn't rated to process it at that speed, ended up roughly working out where it should be and after a massive 28 minute development time in a 20c bath it turned out pretty well.

Mostly really pleased by how little grain there is on these shots, I guess that 120negative really helps there

Darkkn

One thing i really noticed now that i've begun to take interest in photography is how yellow light of street lamps in Helsinki really ruin the look of the winter. Snow is not supposed to look like piss... I find that B&W photos capture the wintry urban look better.

Here's a few I took on a recent trip to Irelend with the Nikon D5200 I purchased last year

Dublin

Ruins of a castle (they used this as a set piece in Game of Thrones, though heavily modified)

The Ring of Kerry

Giant's Causeway

Forsete

Mix: Aw thanks for quoting my pics. :) <3

I went down to the beach today. It was cold (-1) and windy, but the clouds parted and we got some sunshine, which was nice.
12072913056_49d30c0c63_h.jpg

Warning for low flying aircraft :p
12030489924_2d2a46de39_h.jpg

Old church which I stumbled upon on a drive, looked really cool from the road, sitting there in a farmers field more or less. A real medieval building (1200).
12030087245_610ee33444_h.jpg

tch

Great shots guys! I really like Office of yours Animator. I also would love to take part if there was to be another photo competition.

F0NZ

Some images I made while playing around in the backyard with the Macro lens I gave myself for the holidays.

_MG_5149.jpg

_MG_5193.jpg

_MG_5216.jpg

Porcile

Does anyone have wesbite recommendation for making high quality photobooks? I'm not talking Blurb, but rather something closer to professional quality. I want to collate my best photographs from last year into a nice thing.

jourdy

I'll participate!

Here's a pic of the hotel room's view when I visited Namba, Osaka, Japan during the new year.
CfW7zLR.jpg

And at night:
oguWOO3.jpg

SystemBug

here are some pictures i took from my nexus5. I really wish it had a better camera though

tumblr_mz4wx979O91qg5492o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mz59318F9d1qg5492o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mzhwfjYaIy1qg5492o1_500.jpg

I was wondering if there are any decent affordable film cameras you guys could recommend? I'm really looking forward to getting into that

Dude I have this fucking painting in my kitchen wtf. Do tell more.

hahaha, it's a print at my friend's family's (which are pretty religious) house. I switched up the letters on their fireplace as a practical joke... And then his entire family walked in. Didn't tell him, 'till well later in the day.

Don't have anything new to contribute for now (I'll edit them in later). Really loving Animator's and Damaged's work (you guys got me hella jelly).

joshschw

Anyone have any idea why my camera is putting a bright edge at the top of my photos this morning (like the one in the above photo)?

It's a leaky shutter - I had it on my original 1Ds, I never bothered getting it checked into as it only manifested itself at high shutter speeds, like over 1/1250th or something.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

F0NZ

Love 'em. What lens?

Thank you very much.

Over the holidays Canon was running a rebate special on the EF 100mm f/2.8L version of the lens which I couldn't pass up. Ended up getting back $300 in mail-in rebates from Canon USA. Great lens, tack sharp. Absolutely worth the hefty price tag.

All three shots are SOC, no post processing aside from some RAW adjustments.

Animator

Love the colouring on these, and others in your stream. Are you using a preset or just manually adjusting the colours?

Thank you,

Manual mostly. It is a lot of layering and experimenting with color layers/gradients in photoshop. I also have exposure 5 which has some great film stock presets you can then modify to fit your needs. I basically started with that and when I found a preset I liked I went into photoshop and replicated the same look. That way you know how to create the look you want instead of relying on presets.

I also shoot exclusively JPEG instead of RAW ever since I got the Fuji X-E1. Fuji has the best jpeg output out of any camera I used. It cuts down on the time I used to spend editing raw files.

Animator

Noob photographer here.
I welcome constructive criticisms.
Plese comment how can I improve my exposures and composition.

Thanks!

Khaleesi the Dog

Give me Light

Minecraft

Balinese Light

I guess this is a good spot for a nap

Uncharted

Uluwatu Cliff

Your exposure seems correct for all of those. Composition is also great on the tiger, minecraft and cliff pictures. Those are all really awesome. I am not sure if its the jpeg compression from flikr when you post a link but the minecraft one looks like you shot it wide open like f1.4 or something which makes the image look blurry.

Not feeling the Uncharted, dog and that flower picture. They don't work for me compositionally.

Your exposure seems correct for all of those. Composition is also great on the tiger, minecraft and cliff pictures. Those are all really awesome. I am not sure if its the jpeg compression from flikr when you post a link but the minecraft one looks like you shot it wide open like f1.4 or something which makes the image look blurry.

Not feeling the Uncharted, dog and that flower picture. They don't work for me compositionally.

Thanks! I really appreciate this kind feedback. I'm interested especially on what makes a great composition -- what separates a simple point and shoot photo from a photo that tells a story. I'll read some tips on how to make composition better over the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom