• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you,

Manual mostly. It is a lot of layering and experimenting with color layers/gradients in photoshop. I also have exposure 5 which has some great film stock presets you can then modify to fit your needs. I basically started with that and when I found a preset I liked I went into photoshop and replicated the same look. That way you know how to create the look you want instead of relying on presets.

I also shoot exclusively JPEG instead of RAW ever since I got the Fuji X-E1. Fuji has the best jpeg output out of any camera I used. It cuts down on the time I used to spend editing raw files.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty new to the whole post-process thing, I've only just started using Lightroom and it can be a little daunting processing RAW, especially when my previous digital photography experience is just importing from a cheap point and shoot!

sarcastor

12111619815_71cf1bc232_c.jpg

12092705575_b999c63c72_c.jpg

12092638055_a213f2bacf_c.jpg

MattPearce

Neo Member
The focus is all wrong on this one because I didn't get a chance to take a better shot before the frog jumped out of my nephew's hands, but I still really like this photo:

Frog by MattPearceNZ, on Flickr

Cat by MattPearceNZ, on Flickr

And another frog (this photo is from not long after I got into photography, wish I hadn't blown the colours out so much in processing now).

Frog by MattPearceNZ, on Flickr

gatisimo

These are excellent! Wish I had results as impressive as these when I snap photos of my pets.

Anyone have some tips or a link to some tips for off-camera flash photography? I don't have umbrellas or softboxes or anything, just an SB-800 I'd like to shoot remotely.

RefigeKru

Banned
bottle.jpg

ears.jpg
edge.jpg

end_1506.jpg

fell_1506.jpg

forest_1506.jpg

puddle_1506.jpg

swamp_1506.jpg

Had a trip through one of London's forests. Haven't had the heart to photograph in months; still a bit raw. Hah. I'll want to start posting often, favourite thread on GAF really.

Animator

Thanks! I really appreciate this kind feedback. I'm interested especially on what makes a great composition -- what separates a simple point and shoot photo from a photo that tells a story. I'll read some tips on how to make composition better over the net.

Study good movie cinematography from cinematographers like Roger Deakins:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005683/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Also rent this set and watch it, it is amazing:

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty new to the whole post-process thing, I've only just started using Lightroom and it can be a little daunting processing RAW, especially when my previous digital photography experience is just importing from a cheap point and shoot!

Since you have a x100 I would recommend shooting jpeg and experimenting with the fuji film modes like Astia/Velvia in the camera.

MattPearce

Neo Member
These are excellent! Wish I had results as impressive as these when I snap photos of my pets.

Anyone have some tips or a link to some tips for off-camera flash photography? I don't have umbrellas or softboxes or anything, just an SB-800 I'd like to shoot remotely.

Thanks a lot for your kind words :)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
posted this in q4 thread...took it on jan 3

dXv3m2K.jpg

took this while riding a boat back to Iloilo from Guimaras. Awesome weather in the Philippines

any tips/improvements? i'm a total noob with this stuff and want to learn. did some stuff on it with Lightroom. I'm not sure if the "path" i took was the right one lol.

here's the original

3qcVmYi.jpg
1) Shoot in RAW
2) Edit in Lightroom

As a minimum, you should be doing those to improve your photos.

Mik2121

I got my first reflex camera just last month and barely had any time to practice with them, let alone even learn about ISO and all that stuff. Today I tried and practiced some. The photos ended either boring or noisy or blurry. I picked two and did a bunch of post-process (ideally I'd like to take photos good enough that they don't need any, but that will take thousands of photos of practice before I can take anything like that).

Anyway, here are the two photos. I didn't see any thread rules so I hope over post-processed photos are also ok... :(

s2SdKvm.jpg

bgHE2Aq.jpg

First is taken from my window, second is about 10 mins walk from where I live.

Animator

Love those Aruarian Reflection. Would love to travel there someday.

I got my first reflex camera just last month and barely had any time to practice with them, let alone even learn about ISO and all that stuff. Today I tried and practiced some. The photos ended either boring or noisy or blurry. I picked two and did a bunch of post-process (ideally I'd like to take photos good enough that they don't need any, but that will take thousands of photos of practice before I can take anything like that).

There is nothing wrong with doing post processing. Only the final image matters. Don't limit yourself with dumb purist ideals.
--

Light by 35/50, on Flickr

random question does anybody have a link to the huge photography hardware official thread? i can't find it i fail at search :/

anyway i was currently shooting with a panasonic gf1 (mostly with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake and sometimes with the 25mm f/1.4) but wanted to update. currently debating on switching over to a fujifilm x100s...or a panasonic gm1. can anybody weigh in on this? (i also use a canon 7d but that's not really gonna change much)

seems like my options are:

1) switch to x100s and sell all my m4/3 stuff
2) switch to x100s and keep all my m4/3 stuff for maybe another body down the line
3) stick with only m4/3

halp?!

edit: holy shit it was on the FIRST PAGE of the community forum i am stupid. :/

mrkgoo

Geez, you guys - I don't shoot as much as I'd like any more, and I post even less - but I just take a peek in again, to post some stuff, and well, amazing stuff. I had to go back and change some of what I wanted to post, because it's pretty lame by comparison.

Fëanor

I tried capturing the skies and welp I got this.

There's a lot of light pollution so I need to figure where to go for this type of photography.

starsandtreese7xh1.jpg

stars01axp.jpg

westhavenice1ll7b.jpg

Maiar_m

dunno, if it's my eyes/monitor, but it is a bit too much sharpening. i would decrease it a bit in my opinion.
but overall good work.

On all of them? Weird, it seem fine on mine, but I'll be careful in the future. Thanks a lot for feedback!!

Edit: no, you're right, I messed up her face :p

hEist

On all of them? Weird, it seem fine on mine, but I'll be careful in the future. Thanks a lot for feedback!!

Edit: no, you're right, I messed up her face :p

it's fine in this one (cause it's brighter then the others)

on the other vertical and the first i saw it only, cause i saw the bokeh in the background and her hair, was definitely a bit too much for my eyes, but had to ask, if it's my monitor.
And yeah, the last one is definitely too much, when you look at her face, the noise in it make it look harder.

overall i would decrease it bit (sharpening).

Maiar_m

it's fine in this one (cause it's brighter then the others)

on the other vertical and the first i saw it only, cause i saw the bokeh in the background and her hair, was definitely a bit too much for my eyes, but had to ask, if it's my monitor.
And yeah, the last one is definitely too much, when you look at her face, the noise in it make it look harder.

overall i would decrease it bit (sharpening).

Totally agree on the sharpening, cheers, but the overexposure I dig ^^ (though I'll admit digging it doesn't make it right). Thanks a lot for the feedback, again, it's been too rare in these threads.

sneaky77

I would to get more proficient at lightroom, does anyone know of any good video tutorials out there? even if its a few bucks and not totally free I could live with that

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My photo has gone viral!
awesome. Congrats.

for once I was in on the beginning of something going viral!

I would to get more proficient at lightroom, does anyone know of any good video tutorials out there? even if its a few bucks and not totally free I could live with that
I highly recommend these guys https://shop.platformpurple.com/?shop=2083
I bought the from camera to print and screen series. Learned a lot.

otherwise, just google what you are specifically looking for information on for Lightroom. There's tons of free content out there.

alterno69

Banned
So, i had a wedding this saturday and i took my newly bought sigma 35mm 1.4 and man does this lense delivers. I can't believe how sharp it is wide open. It was basically my first time using it cause i got it like a couple of days before the wedding so i was kinda worried about the formal shots in 1.4 but basically 95% of my shots were perfectly sharp and in focus.

Believe the hype.

Here's my favorite shot from the event

Be kind and take a look at my website, www.nobelgomez.com, just finished it a couple of weeks ago, you can see the rest of the shots from the event there, 90% of them taken with a 5d Mark III - Sigma 35 mm combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom