• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: the Super Mario Bros series

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Finally got around to finishing Mario 3. I'm suffering platformer fatigue at this point and am just glad I'm done with it.

If there's one thing I really like about Mario 3, it's that the various secret items and areas in the game are the rewards in and of themselves. One thing I hated about Mario World was that in order to complete it 100% and get to the good stages, I had to replay a lot of other stages and do a lot of searching for secret exits and keys, and at a certain point that just starts to feel like work. Why should I have to spend my time looking for platforms when I could be platforming? In Mario 3 I can just kind of take or leave the extra stuff as I go. Don't feel like jumping through some hoops for some 1-ups I don't need? Then I'll skip that and just take the power-up suits, thanks. Mario 3 kind of hits a certain balance between platforming and exploration that most of the other games in the series don't.

I think my favorite secret in the game is the group of 1-ups placed in some impossible-to-reach location in the World 5 tower. How are you even supposed to retrieve those without a P-wing? I've made it over there without one but haven't managed to figure out how to make it back safely. Anybody good enough to do it doesn't even need the extra lives anyway.

Unlike SMB1 and SMB2J, I greatly prefer the All-Stars version of SMB3 to the original. The music still sucks, yeah, but Mario 3 never had great music anyway. The updated visuals just work much better here than in the other games imo; no more nasty pop-up, vastly improved backgrounds, etc. Those power-up silhouettes in the sky in the original always looked goofy as hell to me. Being able to revisit any world with your current item inventory after beating the game is also a pretty big plus.

Ranking the games since almost all of them are fresh in my mind now:

S-tier: SMB2J
A-tier: NSMB Wii
B-tier: SMB1, NSMB DS, SMB3
C-tier: SMW, SMB2 USA

I'm somewhat perplexed that people still consider SMB3 and/or SMW to be in the same league as NSMBW, let alone better games. Miyamoto has been right every time he's expressed disappointment at how those two games hold up.

What do you guys think? Anyone else still playing through this?

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Something i've always wanted to know...is that a mushroom or a skull on the green flag at the end of SMB1 stages?
It almost looks like a peace sign. I've never been able to figure that out either.

Well, I'm playing through SMB2j right now. I'm in the middle and am trying to finish it in one sitting. I only have enough Wii points for either SMB2USA or SMB3, though (although I've had All-Stars for years, I'm trying to get all of the originals).

I'm surprised that you put NSMB over SMW, but I guess NSMB is more focused.

Alright, I beat Super Mario Bros. 2. It was easier this time, but I managed to do it in one sitting, without using the VC's soft-save, so that's an accomplishment. I also made it to World 9 again (this was only my second run on the NES version).

I guess I may have to play through as Luigi later, just to get one more step closer to the bonus worlds, and I'll probably buy one of the latter two NES Mario games on VC.

Sixfortyfive said:
It almost looks like a peace sign. I've never been able to figure that out either.

I've never ever considered that it was anything but a peace sign. Mario even gives the peace sign later in the series.

Teknoman

Well this is strange. Made it all the way to world 8-1, no warps, yet I havent found a stalk in a block yet :lol I used to run into them all the time as a kid...so dunno how i'm missing them now.

Myriadis

My younger friend just got a Wii and we noticed that it had the Orginal Super Mario Bros 3 there.So we played it up to World 3-6.2-Player Mode,he was Luigi and I was Mario.Fitting to the character,my friend aka Luigi was bad at this game and seldom managed to complete a level (but he was great in clearing the minigames),and I was completing all the levels.I still can tell that it was really fun.Best part was one of these levels in World 3 where the big fish is following you,trying to eat you down in the water.I fell in and managed to Jump 4 times over the fish before it could catch me until I finally reached land again.And I killed the sun.

I finally beat SMB2 (USA) last night! Just 22 years after it's original release :lol

Great game. And I can't understand why people say it's easy. 3-3 is hard, and many of the levels after 3-3 are also hard. Like REALLY hard.

revolverjgw said:
I've never ever considered that it was anything but a peace sign. Mario even gives the peace sign later in the series.
I never considered that it was anything other than a skull. :lol I always thought it was weird it was there. My mind is blown now.

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
I finally beat SMB2 (USA) last night! Just 22 years after it's original release :lol

Great game. And I can't understand why people say it's easy. 3-3 is hard, and many of the levels after 3-3 are also hard. Like REALLY hard.
I'm guessing it's because Mario 1 -> 2j is hard, because 2j is essentially the same game as 1, but harder.

Playing Mario 1 -> 2u like you've done presents two different games with different mechanics, so it's harder to judge difficulty.

Sixfortyfive

You could check what they put on the flag in NSMB/NSMBW and see if it's any clearer there.

I busted this out at the folks' briefly during Christmas and had them try Lost Levels for some lulz. My sister came really close to beating C-3. I was impressed.

I'm also pretty sure that the wind does push you harder in the SNES version.

chris121580

Got the 25th anniversary All-Stars for Christmas and it's bringing back so many great memories. And man, I'd forgotten how tough Super Mario Brothers 2 can be. Screw those flying guys with the pitchfork on 4-2

.la1n

I do not see how it's possible to like 2 (USA) over Mario 3 or 1 on NES. It completely blows my mind. The game felt out of place when I was too little to know it didn't start as a mario title and it feels just as out of place now that I know better. Super Mario 3 is still the best of the series - NES, SNES, 64, GCN, Wii, it doesn't matter. Super Mario World was also a fantastic entry into the franchise that still holds up against any of the 3D iterations / New SMB Wii.

I don't know if Nintendo will ever make a mario game again the likes of 3 / World. I just don't know if they have that kind of creativity left. Prime example is the power up choices for SMG. SMG 2 managed to remedy this problem somewhat but the level designs didn't make them as exciting as they should be.

/end rant

also, bowser jr should have never came to be and should be erased from miyamoto's memory forever here after

Sixfortyfive

It's easy to see why SMB2 USA would be at either the top or bottom of anybody's personal rankings of the series. It's so different from "standard Mario" that it's likely to be preferred or disliked over most of the rest of the franchise for that very reason. What's odd is when somebody puts it in the middle or just genuinely enjoys it as much as any other entry. As much as I might bitch about that game, I generally regard it as an above average platformer that just isn't for me.

Also, NSMBW is twice the game that either SMB3 or SMW could ever hope to be. I don't even think it's a matter of opinion anymore.

.la1n said:
I do not see how it's possible to like 2 (USA) over Mario 3 or 1 on NES. It completely blows my mind. The game felt out of place when I was too little to know it didn't start as a mario title and it feels just as out of place now that I know better. Super Mario 3 is still the best of the series - NES, SNES, 64, GCN, Wii, it doesn't matter. Super Mario World was also a fantastic entry into the franchise that still holds up against any of the 3D iterations / New SMB Wii.

I don't know if Nintendo will ever make a mario game again the likes of 3 / World. I just don't know if they have that kind of creativity left. Prime example is the power up choices for SMG. SMG 2 managed to remedy this problem somewhat but the level designs didn't make them as exciting as they should be.

/end rant

also, bowser jr should have never came to be and should be erased from miyamoto's memory forever here after

SMB2 was objectively the most creative game in the series though.

As to why one may prefer it to Mario 1... maybe because it stays varied, for one?

Sixfortyfive

cartman414 said:
As to why one may prefer it to Mario 1... maybe because it stays varied, for one?
I wouldn't give it that much credit. Sand digging + key retrieval and the pain in the ass backtracking it entails rear their heads often enough to be a blight on the entire game. Nothing in Mario 1 is that dull.

Mario 1 is also more varied than people give it credit for, just not to the same degree as SMB3 and beyond. Usually, the four stages of each world draw from rather different categories (overworld, underground, underwater, high elevation, cheep cheep bridge, etc).

ismaboof

I can't beat SMB 8-3 anymore lol
And is it just me or does the Wii version of All Stars seems to have a bit of input lag?

Sixfortyfive

ismaboof said:
I can't beat SMB 8-3 anymore lol
Find the two mushroom/flowers in that stage and do your goddamned best to keep them.

And is it just me or does the Wii version of All Stars seems to have a bit of input lag?
Get a better TV.

So lately we have been playing all kinds of NES games and World 8 in SMB3 is waaay harder than I remembered it to be. Granted, I was slightly drunk but is the all-stars version easier than the NES version?

Sixfortyfive

PetriP-TNT said:
So lately we have been playing all kinds of NES games and World 8 in SMB3 is waaay harder than I remembered it to be. Granted, I was slightly drunk but is the all-stars version easier than the NES version?
No.

.la1n

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm somewhat perplexed that people still consider SMB3 and/or SMW to be in the same league as NSMBW, let alone better games. Miyamoto has been right every time he's expressed disappointment at how those two games hold up.

Miyamoto is so old and out of touch I hardly take a second glance and the things he says. I love the guy but seriously, if he downplays SMB3 or SMW then he is simply doing his marketing bit for NSMBW.

edit: and believe me when I say I LOVE NSMBW. SMB3 and SMW will hold up well past NSMBW ever will. We will not have a thread in 10 years that says "let's replay NSMBW." However, you will see tons of "let's replay SMB3, SMW" pop up as they have throughout the years since the games were released.

mokeyjoe

Requeim said:
The Nes version of Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island are the best platformers ever made

also, Super Mario World is mediocre as fuck

that is all

Wow, really? I still think SMW is the closest to perfect any game has achieved. Never got into SMB3 much, too many frustrating parts.

SMW2 is good (and gorgeous), but doesn't feel very Mario.

My most played has to be the orginal Super Mario Land on the Gameboy. Perhaps because it was so easy. I completed it 3 times in one sitting once (just to see if the 3rd completion changed the enemy placement like the second). Good times.

.la1n

PetriP-TNT said:

Wait until you fight all the way to bowser only to have him destroy you with no lives left. true story. I cried.

I was also 5 years old

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sill4 said:
My favorite Bowser fight.

Have you played NSMB Wii?

Anyway I have to agree with SixFortyFive on NSMB Wii's superiority. I think I prefer SMB 1 and 2's physics and purity, but otherwise it is my favourite.

SMB is simply astonishingly good though. It is hard to believe that it is so damn old.

Teknoman

.la1n said:
Miyamoto is so old and out of touch I hardly take a second glance and the things he says. I love the guy but seriously, if he downplays SMB3 or SMW then he is simply doing his marketing bit for NSMBW.

edit: and believe me when I say I LOVE NSMBW. SMB3 and SMW will hold up well past NSMBW ever will. We will not have a thread in 10 years that says "let's replay NSMBW." However, you will see tons of "let's replay SMB3, SMW" pop up as they have throughout the years since the games were released.

I dunno about that. The Wii stages are pretty fun to run through. The collecting factor in all the recent Nintendo platformers does kinda dampen things a little (for me anyway). I guess the best way to replay would be to start a new file?

Sixfortyfive said:
I wouldn't give it that much credit. Sand digging + key retrieval and the pain in the ass backtracking it entails rear their heads often enough to be a blight on the entire game. Nothing in Mario 1 is that dull.

Mario 1 is also more varied than people give it credit for, just not to the same degree as SMB3 and beyond. Usually, the four stages of each world draw from rather different categories (overworld, underground, underwater, high elevation, cheep cheep bridge, etc).

The levels are mostly single tier though, and a few of course are recycled. Should have been 6 or 7 worlds, tops, since they clearly didn't have room for 8 unique ones.

I'm not really going to participate in this thread per se, but I did want to offer some relevant observations.

Somewhat inspired by Chrontendo, I'm playing each and every Famicom/NES game in order of release, as best as I can figure. The difference in quality between SMB and every Famicom game out before it is just staggering. I think that goes for most video games that came out before SMB too. In terms of ambition and scope, I'm sure there were pre-SMB video games that were very forward thinking, but just in terms of visual design, level design, and especially CONTROL, SMB is just years and years ahead of everything else at the time.

It is amazing to think about though: think of how playable SMB is even today. And then think of how incredibly primitive its contemporary games seem! It's like Babe Ruth : baseball :: SMB : video games. It's almost like Miyamoto was playing by a different set of rules.

Finally beat Super Mario Bros. :D

Felt like a boss. And no matter how many times I died, I felt like it was always within my reach. Which is why it probably took 4 hours total over the past week or so. :lol

I also started to play the Lost Levels and I am so happy it saves at each level so I never have to do an entire World without getting a game over.

m.i.s.

Banned
Well I finally beat SMB3 on GBA on perfect clear on all worlds - yay me!!!!

Fantastic game. Yes, I know the GBA version is easier than the NES / All-Stars version but I just wouldn't have had the time to rack-up 99 lives and play it on the NES. Love the widescreen aspect of the GBA version and the removal of that status bar to give a full screen view of the action. Nintendo did a fantastic job in converting it for the smaller screen.

Top Bottom