• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

Ezquimacore

Banned
"hello guys this is John, the game runs at 6k and 60 fps, buy it and aloy is cute too"
E2khFjjWYAMsmdS

Dacon

Banned
She’s not a super model no, and that’s just fine.

Would love to see how the wives of many members on NeoGAF look like, it would be an incredibly interesting thread.

The lady they modeled her after is beautiful, but the weird Uncanny Valley that Guerilla Games' character live in makes her look strange.
I never understood this argument. I just assume it was some light hearted trolling.
Looks like an actual flesh & blood woman.

What does that even mean? What looks off about her?

Look at the way her face blows up whenever she's talking. Not to mention she strangely looks like a less attractive version of the woman they modelled her after. If she wasn't specifically modeled after a real life woman who is very beautiful I think there'd be less of this.

I don't think they did it on purpose mind you, GG just has some weird issues with animating and modeling faces. The first Horizon had this problem big time whenever people were talking to Aloy. It was like watching manikins talk to each other. The faces look better here, but they still all look fucking weird.

Last edited:
You all are killing me with these mockups. Just too funny! Amazing how many talented people there are that can produce such things so quickly too! Now, if we could see a re-do of the game trailer but with THIS character model...THAT would be hilarious and amazing. :)
Just go to a Wal-Mart on Black Friday in the South and you'll see plenty of women that look just like that battling for survival.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I guess he would know which games we should be masturbating to since he was bragging about playing AO games earlier too.
Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

I don’t understand why this is controversial. I really don’t. She’s a little chubby in the face. That’s true. Chubbier than the first game? Yes. It’s obviously intentional. It couldn’t possibly be her age “showing” when you take Dr. Sobeck into consideration. The devs made the conscious choice to make her face a little chubbier. Talking about it isn’t sexist or insensitive because she’s not real. Will it make the game less fun? No. It will probably make the cutscenes a little funnier than they need to be. If that sentiment makes you feel uncomfortable than.. I don’t know.. grow up? I’m not going to let her looks dissuade me from buying the game, but I’m also not going to pretend like I don’t prefer my video game characters, men and women, to be beautiful.
I don't think this IS controversial at all. Some people had just noticed the change and commented on it while some others offered some possible technical explanations for it and then some other people lost their minds that anyone would even ask such questions. THAT's the only controversy. Heck, I don't think even that has penetrated beyond internet forums and the like.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The lady they modeled her after is beautiful, but the weird Uncanny Valley that Guerilla Games' character live in makes her look strange.

Look at the way her face blows up whenever she's talking. Not to mention she strangely looks like a less attractive version of the woman they modelled her after. If she wasn't specifically modeled after a real life woman who is very beautiful I think there'd be less of this.

I don't think they did it on purpose mind you, GG just has some weird issues with animating and modeling faces. The first Horizon had this problem big time whenever people were talking to Aloy. It was like watching manikins talk to each other. The faces look better here, but they still all look fucking weird.
I agree with this. I won't try and pretend to know that GG has some kind of motive for this at all. If they ANNOUNCE they did something on purpose, then fine. Till then I agree that the most likely explanation is just technical issue and/or how the studio handles facial animations. I don't think they have the experience at that, that a team like Naughty Dog does for example.

I don't think it's bad at all anyway. The character looks a bit different and I just thought when I looked at it that she looked good but that she just looks a few years older now. No big deal. The game looks amazing and I hope the story is really well done too!

ZywyPL

Banned
Make a believable character and make him/her make sense and I'm all in, whether she/he looks super beautiful or average/ugly.

That's the point. We have for example Control, where the main character isn't a 10/10 either, but is much more believable, well written, perfectly fits the world and surrounding events, whereas Aloy seems out of place since the very day they revealed the game.

Heavenly Sword has been thrown into discussion in the other thread, and again, very believable, likeable character, despite somewhat potato face. And on the other end of spectrum there's Quiet from MGS5, where you just have to ask yourself wtf is wrong with this chatacter, why it's even here.

So the looks is just a tip of the iceberg, it does help obviously, they might tweak Aloy to be more acceptable, acclaimed, just sticking to the actual real life model would be enough, but instead they make her even less likable with that punchable face, the only thing lacking is her yelling "I want to speak with the manager!"...

if it was a male character=no one would complain about looks=no thread on neogaf=problem solved

f2a.png

That's the thing - why purposely put a female character as the lead role only to make her look like a dude anyway? And yes the game would've been better received if you were a dude blasting throught dinos like in Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Turok etc.

Or just add a simpl character creation tool like everyone who makes open-world RPG is. Problem solved.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Aloy is a very plain looking girl. Not ugly, but not a face I would look at twice in the real world.
I am sure the women of the world are super concerned about passing your 'look twice' test.

Unless you look like a fucking rock star.

I literally saw John Stamos (walking with some woman, not RRS) at Disneyland and I LITERALLY had never seen such pretty people in my life. No Photoshop, not lighting. They LITERALLY looked like they do on magazine covers. It was so fucking impressive and unique.

So yeah, if you look like that, you get a pass for your insulting, sexist, super embarrassing statement. I'll give you a public apology AND a 50 PSN gift card.

Please upload your picture to this thread so we can judge you? I'll put a poll on twitter and if your looks rate 9 or above the video apology AND the gift card are yours!

JAFFE

Last edited:
I am sure the women of the world are super concerned about passing your 'look twice' test.

I literally saw John Stamos (walking with some woman, not RRS) at Disneyland and I LITERALLY had never seen such pretty people in my life. No Photoshop, not lighting. They LITERALLY looked like they do on magazine covers. It was so fucking impressive and unique.

So yeah, if you look like that, you get a pass for your insulting, sexist, super embarrassing statement. I'll give you a public apology AND a 50 PSN gift card.

Please upload your picture to this thread so we can judge you? I'll put a poll on twitter and if your looks rate 9 or above the video apology AND the gift card are yours!

JAFFE

Aloy would still fall into the "plain" category for me, whether I was the best looking or the ugliest guy on the planet. My looks aren't relevant to how attractive she is.
Your post reads like something from Reset.

cormack12

Gold Member

JAFFE

giphy.webp

Do my own teeth need to be in said picture? I've loaned them to cousin merle who is attending a wedding this weekend. And it means I'll have to turn up and ask for them back. Which would be awkward.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

JAFFE
I'm the spitting image of Rock Hudson
post AIDS

Pay up Jaffe

DonJimbo

You all are killing me with these mockups. Just too funny! Amazing how many talented people there are that can produce such things so quickly too! Now, if we could see a re-do of the game trailer but with THIS character model...THAT would be hilarious and amazing. :)
She Looks Like the mother of the Guy who wanted money for a dialyser But Used the Money for drugs 😂😂😂

JAFFE

60IfLgd.jpg

Have I been summoned to post pics of myself

8xdbQw4.jpg

please don't ban me KTHANXBYE!

JAFFE

BQkWVlL.jpg

Last edited:

NahaNago

I don't believe in this new trend of stupidity with turning dudes into girls, and girls into dudes.
She doesn't look like a dude though and neither is Sony treating her as a dude. They simply decided not to make her a super attractive female. Aloy tends to wear skirts to cover her behind when wearing pants and wears a vest to cover her chest so Sony is very clear that she is female and wants to avert the male gaze. The majority of her outfits in the last game are like this.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
She doesn't look like a dude though and neither is Sony treating her as a dude. They simply decided not to make her a super attractive female. Aloy tends to wear skirts to cover her behind when wearing pants and wears a vest to cover her chest so Sony is very clear that she is female and wants to avert the male gaze. The majority of her outfits in the last game are like this.
I'm all for characters that wear appropriate clothes, but Aloy looks feminine in Zero Dawn. In this sequel, she looks like a fat dude.

llien

JL was thrashed for this:

2493.jpg

#taliban

Seriously, is this some JRPG or something? Why are dudes so dressed, while lady is so... well, not covered with clothing?

Dampf

Chubby faces are cute. I hate these skinny model faces. I'm glad she looks the way she does here...

Top Bottom