• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2013 Thread: Fail Of The Year

parski

The biggest game launch ever being a framerate abomination. Maybe that's more of a failure of the medium and a vast majority of its consumers.

EGM1966

1 - The original XB1 reveal. Nothing tops that for failure as the resultant 180s and region altering sales show

2 - EA - 'gotta love their consistency. This year they messed up BF online too and I'd argue surpassed their previous lows.

3 - Digital Foundry becomes a communication and explanation channel for all we miss-understood about the XB1. I never bought into the DF is outright biased angle although I did recognize there was clear contextual bias in much of the writing in the articles - i.e. there was acceptable personal preference subtly apparent behind the facts but it didn't get in the way for the most part. But this was just something to behold - from supposedly independent tech opinion pieces and factual comparison of multi-platform titles to outright PR front for another company

4 - Geis - surely nothing more needs to be said than his name?

Plasma

Banned
I know the Xbox One DRM thing probably will and should win but the worst thing this year for me personally was Aliens: Colonial Marines. My favourite film of all time, Gearbox talked it up so much before it was released, there were trailers that made it look like it would live up to the talk and it comes out and it was a steaming pile of shit.

oceanskie

Banned
Has to be SimCity.

Much like Battlefield 4 that followed, SimCity's launch was a total clusterfuck. However, unlike BF4, SimCity's fundamental technical and design flaws are FUBAR with no hope of ever being fixed.

This game, much anticipated prior to its release, has irreparably harmed the entire franchise. The SimCity name is likely to be met with strong cynicism by gamers in any future releases.

FoolMeOnceSmirk.jpg

That said, SimCity can still be marketed as 'Award-winning game of 2013' for the Most Disappointing Game of the Year Award and this FOTY on GAF

NeoGAF fast conversion into Gamefaqs 2.0

Such is life when a gaming website becomes massively popular. The dregs get let in with the rest of us well-meaning folk.

I'd have to vote for the further declination of gaming "journalism." The coverage of Sim City and the Xbone after their issues were laid bare for all to see was nothing short of embarrassing. There are some gems out there like John Walker, but for every one of him there seems to be three Arthur Gies, that bet-welshing coward.

shem935

Banned
1. Xbox one drm
2. Ea anything this year- sim city, BF4, NBA Live
3. Ouya- had to be reminded the thing even came out
4. Vita and WiiU sales- very sad about this one but both have floundered in 2013

X1. Just misstep after misstep all year long. DRM, Always On, $499, Why Would I Live There?, We have a system for those people, Microtransactions in all first party games, Hryb raging on Angry Joe, TV SPORTS TV SPORTS TV SPORTS, 3GB ram for OS, The big fuck you to indie devs,180s due to low preorders.

GetemMa

One more vote for MS.

It will probably turn out okay for them but their PR side of the business was a complete disaster from May through the Fall.

Edit: Dishonorable mention for EA.

BF4 was unplayable for over a month (but I do love it now that it is up and running)
SimCity was a DRM nightmare, and then the game sucked to boot
Dead Space 3 seemed like another game from another series
NCAA Football is gone forever
NBA Live is awful
Madden is still a mediocre product, with little hope for improvement

level44

Xbox One

The lying,
the back tracking,
the Don Mattrick,
the always on,
the NSA approved camera,
the used game block,
the awful PR,
the 'over delivering value',
the 'have you seen Titanfall',
the 'We've got a console for that. Xbox 360',
the cloud,
the 'only possible on xbox',
the 100 million dollar controller,
the games with gold,
the 720p,
the TV, the sports, the Collardoody,
the fake live UI,
The console bans for early users
the betamax design,
the $499,
the weaker hardware,
the 'deal with it'

Usobuko

Banned
What's amazing is that you can't pinpoint a single thing of the Xbox One this year that was so terrible. It's just all of it.

The 180s, the DRM, the price, Adam Orth, 720p, "We have an offline console, it's called the Xbox 360", terrible Kinect 2.0 voice recognition, lack of actual Twitch streaming, even the @Xbox fake tweets from just days ago.

All of it combined makes the beautiful shit sandwich that is Microsoft's Xbox One launch.

Also, the impeccable timing of NSA scandal.

Would be a good thread to dig out since I faintly remember posters telling non-Americans that one should be perfectly okay with it unless they have 'something to hide' from others.

1) SimCity
2) Xbox One...its initial reveal, E3 reveal, DRM, messaging, Adam Orth, NSA, initial treatment of indies, etc...

3) Battlefield 4
4) Wii U
5) COD: Ghosts, etc being 720p on Xbox One

Honorable mentions:
- launch of GTA Online
- patching in always-online for NBA 2K14
- launch of Total War: Rome II
- Ouya
- VGX
- Games journalism, especially Polygon

Xbox One DRM and Microsoft's total PR clusterfuck.

xbone, but is in no way fault of xbone's pr. how could pr sell a system that was like that? it was the business and technical decisions on the xbone that made it the way it was. if i were to fault anyone on xbone, it was the business and tech divisions not the pr.

The Xbone reveal was so bad that we had gamers thanking Sony for letting them pay for online multiplayer. "Thanks, Sony, for being slightly less anti-consumer!" Xbone wins.

And I wonder if Iwata sent a thank you card to 38 Studios for taking some heat off him for last year.

1. Microsoft - DRM, Kinect required, dropping 360 like a dead weight, TV, a laughable amount of 180's, still sticking to some of their shitty policies (indies have to be day and date), weak hardware, microtransactions in everything and probably the most idiotic PR gaffes the industry has ever seen clustered into one year ("we have a system for offline users...", "WE CREATED DIRECTX", etc.).

Runners up:

2. EA - Sim City, BF4, Dead Space 3, microtransaction bullshit, NBA Live, fucking over Respawn, gutting Criterion, more timed exclusive bullshit than ever before and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

3. Games "journalism" - Overlooking the fanboys masquerading as legit writers like Arthur "$10" Gies, "Sony's doing it too" was the go-to line before E3 and yet it turned out to be 100% quality grade bullshit. How many admitted that they made stupid assumptions? I can't remember any. Sony execs were actively encouraging the NoDRM twitter campaign and yet these brilliant minds thought they were still going to do it? Wow.

Personally I figured it out even before then, as I didn't think there was any chance Sony were just going to give up on all the countries they've established their brand in that have rubbish internet. And pulling something like that off would require a shitload more servers that Sony probably had no interest in spending all that money on.

spirity

SimCity. They're still pumping out dlc and expansions for that game and to date it still isn't working properly, and it never will.

The xb1 drm nonsense runs a pretty close second however.

Kerned

Banned
The Xbox One debacle. I've never seen anything like it. To watch a company like Microsoft make error after error in almost every aspect of their new console was really something special.

prwxv3

The xbone. It's doing pretty well but almost everyone thought it was Microsofts generation to dominate before either console was revealed. everyone thought the next xbox was going to be more powerful then the next playstation because of sony's financial problems and the exact opposite happened and a higher price. Then all the unbelievable PR. WiiU sales is at a close second place

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
People seem to be forgetting that the Xbone DRM didn't actually happen.

Sim City gets my vote, for actually being released in the state it was. An actual product released with actual problems beats panicked community outrage (which didn't even impact sales in the end, at least not nearly to the degree people here believed it would) every time.

SykoTech

Xbox One DRM/Online Check-In.

Dangerously close call. Almost got screwed over big time. So glad gamers spoke up against it and Sony decided not to go along with it. I would absolutely hate to see such a thing become the standard.

And screw all those gaming journalists acting like it was nothing.

IN&OUT

Banned
1- Xbone (everything from disastrous reveal to specs)
2- Sessler " I fear for my life" drama.( which end up being " itsfuckingnothing.gif"
3- Gimping PS4 games for parity with Xbone then patching resolution later.
4- BF4 online.
5- Twitch banning Playroom streams then adding 30 seconds delay to chat.
6- You Tube banning gamers everywhere for nothing.

Otheradam

Xbone fiasco. All of it. Probably Fail of this decade in gaming. They learned absolutely nothing from Sony's epic fuck-ups with the PS3 launch- pricing, arrogance, etc and somehow manage to top them.

Jabba

Banned
1. Vote for Xbox One debacle. From the beginning.
2. The BF4 online situation.
3. Game Journalism as an entity this coming gen. There were some good stuff, but overall it was quite substandard. Resolution doesn't matter, no difference tween 720 and 1080p. Chiming in with Microsofts DRM and future business practices at time of reveal.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Simcity

As bad as Xbone fiasco was, I gotta give recognition to EA for ruining a beloved franchise so completely and in such a insulting way.

Congrats EA, fuck you

sappyday

Xbox One DRM situation

When announcing that your console is able to do something that older consoles have always been able to do and having everyone cheer because of it then you know there is something wrong

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
1. Xbone

Does it really need any explanation? Everything about it has been a disaster from the hardware, to the price, and most especially Microsoft's ridiculously anti-consumer behavior.

That it as now lost its grip to Sony in the former Xbox strongholds of North America and the UK is a fail of epic proportions by Microsoft.

Green Starman

Neo Member
This was great year with also amazing failures, but EA was definitely king of failures this year.

Runner ups:
2. Xbox One Pre-release.
3. Geimu JournaliZm.
4. Micro-transactions and DLCs, OVERLOAD!!!
5. The Nintendo E-shop in general.
6. Sport games in general.
7. VGX (THE WHOLE SHOW)
8. GTA Online fiasco.
9. Phil Fish.
10. Wii U and Vita sales (also games like SM3DW and Tearaway selling badly at launch).

Top Bottom