• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2014 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Grexeno

Gamergate is the biggest fail of the year, end of discussion.

Games broken at launch is second, but not all that close.

Corpekata

Banned
1. Gamergate
2. Ubisoft launching multiple AAA games that were borked on at least one platform. Constant dev foot in mouth disease.
3. Square thinking it was a good idea to announce a PC port of FF7 at a major conference. That's like a twitter announcement at best.

Gamergate. An appalling and embarassing movement that put mainstream acceptance of gaming back years while silencing many strong voices within the industry.

Honorable mention to Ubisoft's PR branch this year. It's like they were trying to emulate 2013 Microsoft.

100% agree with Gamergate being FOTY 2014, just shameful all round. just thinking of the vile rape/murder threats, driving people from their homes, nothing else in this industry has made me more angrier this year.

GoaThief

Driveclub - most broken big name game in a considerable time. Not just a little bit ropey either, full blown mess of missing core features and highly disruptive issues rendering much of it literally unplayable.

Can't say I follow anything much to do with gamergate, from what I gather it isn't really a fail of sorts.

cakely

I really don't want it to be GamerGate, but it probably should be.

After that ... AC: Unity or or Halo: MCC. Both were cases of a major company screwing over fans just to make a holiday release date.

mp1990

Banned
I can't say GamerGate because,tbh i don't have idea what they talking about,i just know there are people wanting to kill people because of ... reasons ? I'll call Watch_Dogs. Not only a terrible downgrade,but one of the worst games i play in a long time.
Sorry if i'm talking bs about gg,this is the only thing i read about it

Anth0ny

1. Broken fucking games (Drive Club, Halo MCC, Ubisoft)
2. Destiny

still don't know what gamer gate is. I've managed to ignore it this entire time.

ultron87

Gamergate.

It was the final form of a disgusting trend that has been going on for awhile. It literally drove women away from the Industry. It could cause even more women to never even try writing about or making games in the first place. It also did a ton of damage to the perception of games in the wider culture. That is way more harmful than a broken game, though that general trend is certainly second place.

2San

Can someone point me to a quick summary of what Gamergate is?
From my memory:

Woman who made games had sex with man who was a reporter while cheating on her then boyfriend.
Ex Boyfriend exposes this.
Woman gets all kinds of hate attacks, because reporter supposedly wrote positive articles about the games of the woman (which wasn't the case).
More attacks on Woman and other women in the glorious name of ethics in videogame journalism (which makes the women an odd choice to attack).

Philly40

Gamergate. An appalling and embarassing movement that put mainstream acceptance of gaming back years while silencing many strong voices within the industry.

Honorable mention to Ubisoft's PR branch this year. It's like they were trying to emulate 2013 Microsoft.

Nailed it.

It sort of seems trivial mentioning driveclub and MCC, but at least these have improved since launch, gamergate started badly and got exponentially worse.

Gestault

Ubisoft.

Simply put, in terms of game quality issues, publisher/audience relations, and now even press relations, I can't think of a bigger set of "oh what the hell" moments in a single entity.

Ubisoft.

I got really hyped for AC after AC4, but the lack of reviews before it came out made me too cautious to preorder it. The mess that was the launch made me never want to touch it. I did pick up a PS3 copy of Rogue that I am looking forward to, but it's still in it's packaging. I was also excited for FarCry 4, but the AC launch kept me from picking it up. Ubisoft has shown me that they are not ready for current gen hardware. Their actions show me they are not ready to be honest about it either. The constant sales of season passes as a way to get people to pay double for their game also turns my stomach. The microtransactions don't bother me that much. If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel then why not pick up pennies?

Driveclub - most broken big name game in a considerable time. Not just a little bit ropey either, full blown mess of missing core features and highly disruptive issues rendering much of it literally unplayable.

Can't say I follow anything much to do with gamergate, from what I gather it isn't really a fail of sorts.
If having the gaming community associated to harassment and death threats and as a result making national news all around the world and the front page of the New York Times isn't a failure for gaming, I honestly don't know what could qualify.

maxcriden

I'd say Ubisoft's PR and buggy issues as well as the MCC and DCossues, so I suppose just bugs overall. Also, please do note vote for Yoshi's New Island unless you actually played it. ;)

woen

AAA disappointments this year for the general GAF opinion (ACU, WD, Destiny, Driveclub, broken games, pretty bad PR to the core gamers, all the delays, the real or dreamed "downgrades") etc), considering how much backslashs threads we got here.

And of course the reactionary movement that called himself "gamergate".

NotLiquid

Ubisoft. Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Unity and The Crew were all a slew of broken (literally) promises, and Far Cry 4, while good, felt simply too much like more of the same to make up for it. PR has been bad for them all around.

iNvid02

1. Gamergate

Broken Games (ACU, Halo MCC, Driveclub et al)
Destiny and the case of the vanishing content

Kriken

Gamergate is such an embarrassment, I don't even know where to start

Runner ups are broken launches (MCC & DC) Ubisoft and Destiny hype

SxP

Gamergate.

Ubisoft would have won easily any other year, but Gamergate is just on another level entirely.

Destiny

Don't play Ubisoft games (had planned on getting Watch_Dogs but that ship had sailed long before it came out)

Don't care about GamerGate, although I find the whole thing was incredibly stupid to begin with

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gamergate. An appalling and embarassing movement that put mainstream acceptance of gaming back years while silencing many strong voices within the industry and making others scared to pursue careers in the industry.

my vote. this has made lot of friends this year in the industry have a rough time.
also, it's embarrassing... we've worked too hard for too long for mainstream acceptance, only to be set back so much by people's fear of change. save that for politics.

seriously, it took generations to get the image of players out of the basement and into the living room. and we're willingly trying to go back into the basement? it's dreadful.

From what I remember what Destiny was supposed to be and what it has become in the end (don't care about ongoing construction), Destiny!

One could say the rushing out unfinished games could be the fail of the year in a broader sense.

Edit: I've seen the Gamergate thread on the front page a couple of times and always wondered what this was about, peeked inside and read something about a twitter campaign or something. I don't even have a twitter account and deem anything twitter related as noise, not important. Then again I'm pretty disconnected from everything social media.

Servbot24

Banned
GamerGate. Seems to be a pseudo-movement run by genuinely horrible people under a vague, meaningless guise of "ethics in journalism".

Runner-up is Ubisoft. Forget the bugs. They just do terrible design.

Top Bottom