• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2014 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Necrovex

Yeah, GamerGate wins the cake. That whole debacle was an embarrassment for the games industry.

The other shit involving Ubisoft, like Unity and Watch Dogs, takes second place, but honestly that is minuscule compared to GamerGate.

1. The sheer number of shite quality titles, delays, and PR blunders associated with them experienced this year...my goodness
2. Taking a complete game and breaking it into a dozen pieces called dlc and expansions. Most of these games weren't worth half their initial retail values (see ACU, Destiny, and driveclub for reference, and their recent half off sales).

TI82

Banned
Ubisoft and Nintendo.

Ubisoft because the broken games. How can you seriously let your biggest franchise release the way unity did? You couldn't just delay it? Seriously?

Nintendo because, I'll let the sales numbers for the Wii U speak for themself.

Yudoken

Without question for me Ubisoft.
Even sold the key for a free game because I don't want to have any product from them until they learn from their mistakes and bring out an working, good game out. (Crosses fingers for Rainbow Six Siege and The Devision for pc).

mp1990

Banned
Ubisoft and Nintendo.

Ubisoft because the broken games. How can you seriously let your biggest franchise release the way unity did? You couldn't just delay it? Seriously?

But this was the best year on Wii U history man,how could Nintendo be wrong ? Best exclusives and i think that it was the year with most consoles sold ? Seriously,this year the only company you can't criticize is Nintendo.

Ridley327

But this was the best year on Wii U history man,how could Nintendo be wrong ? Best exclusives and i think that it was the year with most consoles sold ? Seriously,this year the only company you can't criticize is Nintendo.

Your first time with TI82, I take it.

EGOMON

Ubisoft I change my view on them 180 degree to the point I promised myself not to buy their games again

sasliquid

I'm also saying gamergate, only thing to make me genuenily feel bad about gaming at any point

Followed by broken games/Ubisoft

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

It's like Vita coming in fourth a couple of years ago. The console is fucking tip top, don't label it Fail of the Year just because no one bought it.

TI82

Banned

They came out a year before their competitors and still are falling behind in every way. They failed to properly market their device. They failed to take advantage of the unique value of their console (the screen). The list goes on and on. There may have been some games you liked this year but this year was really horrible for Nintendo. I remember reading that the Wii U is selling less than the Dreamcast when it was pulled from the market. And that it is currently the lowest selling console they've ever produced, lower than the GameCube which was considered such a failure that they had to completely change their hardware development philosophy.

Just don't see how it can be anything but a failure.

My vote goes to #Gamergate

Ubisoft and Nintendo.

2014 has been the best year for the Wii U though so far haha.

Gamergate is not only the FOTY, it's the worst thing to occur in many years.

Runner-up: PR blunders in general. Ubisoft especially. Square, Microsoft, Bungie, CD Projekt Red to a lesser extent.

d1rtn4p

Has to be ubisoft and the stuff that AAA publishers are getting away with. Truly the most dangerous threat to the industry, especially if we let it happen. I dont really care how many girls play games, I feel that whole thing is just both sides sabre rattling...

mp1990

Banned
They came out a year before their competitors and still are falling behind in every way. They failed to properly market their device. They failed to take advantage of the unique value of their console (the screen). The list goes on and on. There may have been some games you liked this year but this year was really horrible for Nintendo. I remember reading that the Wii U is selling less than the Dreamcast when it was pulled from the market. And that it is currently the lowest selling console they've ever produced, lower than the GameCube which was considered such a failure that they had to completely change their hardware development philosophy.

Just don't see how it can be anything but a failure.

I think you didn't get the thread objective,it's the year failure. Nintendo made the wrong moves in Wii U launch,but this year was a blast for them. Best exclusives,MK8 and SSB selling like water,they're having profit again. You can say that Wii U first years were an failure,but this year is going great for Nintendo imo.

Kade

I don't think Gamergate could be described as anything but failure. Its existence is failure, failure to execute on "original intent", failure to be taken seriously, failure to rid itself of all negative traits and associations. Just absolute 110% grade A failure.

I can't say Ubisoft because Far Cry 4 is fucking great.

I can't say 343 and the Master Chief Collection because the singleplayer still works perfectly fine.

I can't say Destiny because despite all its flaws, I played it for 70+ hours and enjoyed it.

Gamergate is nothing but a neverending Rube Goldberg machine of failures and nothingness that won't accomplish anything.

Sure, there's been some really broken and shitty games this year, but as an awful gaming related event, nothing, NOTHING compares to Gamergate not even close.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
We got a hard year.

Destiny. By all means it is not a bad game. It's a solid game, just overhyped to stupid levels. Where the defining game of the generation was just a mediocre Borderlands clone.

DriveClub. Broken game at launch and content still handed out which was promised at launch. Also the big game to show PSN+ worth for the gen...TBA.

Halo MCC. Taking 4 classic games and breaking every single one of them. You can't just wreck new games, you have to wreck old ones too.

But those are all games... Nothing comes close to GamerGate. Carnival of Stupid.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Halo MCC is by far the biggest fail of the year for me. I've never had to refund a game in my life. I got a refund for MCC. To see the Halo name tarnished like that is an absolute shame.

Gamergate as well for me. Embarrassing and offensive to the industry, anyone who takes this hobby seriously, and just baseline human deceny

GamerJM

Banned
Gamergate. It pains me to not vote for Ubisoft but nothing is more of a failure than that mess of an unorganized campaign that taught me that video game culture really is every bit as awful as many outsiders believe.

TI82

Banned
I think you didn't get the thread objective,it's the year failure. Nintendo made the wrong moves in Wii U launch,but this year was a blast for them. Best exclusives,MK8 and SSB selling like water,they're having profit again. You can say that Wii U first years were an failure,but this year is going great for Nintendo imo.

Still feel like this year was a wasted opportunity. They had an entire year headstart on software development and this is all they could do? Not to mention their OS, accounts systems, etc are still fucked.

But Ubisoft still takes the cake for me this year.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Still feel like this year was a wasted opportunity. They had an entire year headstart on software development and this is all they could do? Not to mention their OS, accounts systems, etc are still fucked.

"This is all they could do"

Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Super Smash, and Bayonetta 2. Four GOTY contenders.

Mman235

Gamergate, to the point it's probably the most embarrassingly awful and regressive thing to happen to the industry since it became an industry. So, so bad that publishers shamelessly releasing multiple unfinished games doesn't even rank in comparison.

Edit: Oh hey "both sides" bullshit already, when there's only one side and everyone else's reactions to it.

mp1990

Banned

They did fucked up,but i see that this year they could rebuilt themselves from these terrible last years,even that they're aren't in best form.

My vote goes to Destiny because I was scammed out of my money for that piece of shit game.

I stopped buying Ubisoft games many many years ago...I think around the time of Assassins Creed 1....since then I have bought one...Rayman Origins (which was excellent).

Don't know what Gamergate is so doesn't apply to me.

Master Chief Collection probably would be my number one but after seeing the bullshit Microsoft tried to pull (the reasons for being last years FOTY winner) I vowed not to buy their console ever again and I am not that hungus for games that I would go back on this. Basically Microsoft, Ubisoft and EA are all dead to me and that is why I rarely get burned nowadays. Activision and Bungie are now on that shitlist so even less chances of getting burnt moving forward.

Gamergate, hands down.

At best, it's a collection of extremely confused individuals worried about a collusion between media and game makers that has not actually been proven to exist. At its worst, the movement created an atmosphere of fear and hostility that, in some cases, drove people from their homes and their jobs. Either way it's a shit show and it makes us all look bad.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Gamergate. Never been so embarrassed to be labeled a "gamer."

Honorable mentions:
AssCreed Unity
Driveclub launch
MCC launch
Destiny— content debacle and nose-diving hype post-release
Order 1886 marketing

Has to be ubisoft and the stuff that AAA publishers are getting away with. Truly the most dangerous threat to the industry, especially if we let it happen. I dont really care how many girls play games, I feel that whole thing is just both sides sabre rattling...

Ugh...

GamerJM

Banned
Logged in to vote for GamerGate, and propose that in the years to come this award gets renamed "the GamerGate award".

I feel like doing this would be doing a disservice to most future failures, I doubt most of them will be as downright toxic as GG was.

Top Bottom