• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Universal Next-Gen Stance

Kuga

360 - Depends how it turns out against PS3/Wii. Not many games on the 360 appeal to me. However, XBLA is a selling point for me if they can flesh out their libary more.

PS3 - Wait until I price drop. Buy eventally unless PS3 is a total disaster. If this console gets the games, I'll bend over like every other consumer who's buying one.

Wii - Day one purchase. Plenty of games I want. Looking forward to Trauma Center Wii and LoZ:TP.

PSP - Maybe if Disgaea Portable ever ends up localized in the US/PAL

DS - Already have. Already matches my GBA collection, which is noteworthy.

For now, I'm going DS/PS2/Wii/PC(Got a nice one a week ago)

ziran

wii:

when the controller was revealed at last year's tgs i realised nintendo had completed the final step in returning to the company i loved!

over the years i've discovered, through huge amounts of trial and error, playing literally thousands of games since the late 70s, i love nintendo developed games more than any other. it's a pretty big blanket statement when you consider the amount of internal teams the company has, but imo they have a commonality in the kind of games they make, which is difficult to define but saying it's fun, simple gameplay with depth, is a reasonable, concise description.

every great nintendo game has this ethos from fire emblem to brain training and creates a definite uniqueness in what a nintendo game is. for example, thinking fire emblem is purely hardcore isn't entirely correct imo. it's the most approachable srpg i've ever played (along with advance wars) and dispenses with the tedium found in other examples of the genre using beautifully streamlined play mechanics and quickly gets down to why srpgs are so great, i.e. the strategical chess-like battles, which intelligent systems does brilliantly. brain training is also a nintendo game through and through for similar reasons. it rewards the player for achieving satisfying goals using a simple intuitive control method and has enough depth to keep people playing for a long time. ead, intelligent systems, spd1, spd2, game freak, task force development, hal and retro studios are all amazing teams.

during the gc and this generation as a whole, i lost much of the interest i had in videogames. nintendo wasn't making the quality i'd come to expect and released many mediocre or even bad games like luigi's mansion, waverace bs, mario sunshine and wind waker. even the original pikmin, a much anticipated new nintendo franchise, was somewhat disappointing. however, reading between the lines there was obviously a huge amount of upheaval going on behind the scenes as nintendo expanded and restructured their internal teams, and also nurtured upcoming producers and directors. during the time of four swords adventures on gamecube, which was a great game, i noticed things began to fall into place as the quality of nintendo's releases improved. the ds was proof nintendo had made it back to their former glory with amazing games like nintendogs, advance wars ds, mario kart ds, animal crossing, brain training, big brain academy, nsmb, etc. i love these games and they represent a renewed interest for me in videogames, and after reading the impressions about wii and seeing the videos i'm pretty sure i will love the console.

can't wait, wii is my most anticipated console ever! :)

ps3:

i enjoyed the ps1, it had many great games, but i've disliked the ps2. it's not like i haven't tried, or that i expected to dislike it, i didn't, i was genuinely excited for the console when i bought it. however, i've played just about every game hyped for the system but they do nothing for me.

i've thought about why ps2 has disappointed me so much, i think it's because many games feel like i've played them before and now i find them uninteresting, and they do nothing new which i find worthwhile. i'm also bored by the overly immersive cinematic, narrative, often realistic, gaming experience, which is why i have no interest in ps3. it looks to refine this experience further, from the announced titles and sony's rhetoric. ps3 represents a version of videogaming i dislike.

xbox 360:

not a fan of the xbox and i've still seen nothing on 360 which interests me.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PS3 - If the visuals are even remotely close in-game to what we've seen demos of (motorstorm), next gen will look splendid indeed. Shocking, really. Regardless of all gaffes they may or may not have made in the past year, and regardless of price, they still have Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. Those two alone would keep the PS3 alive, with or without the support it is expected to get.

Wii - The visuals have severely depressed GAF, but the potential for so-called "fun" (have any of you heard this weird word?) by using the wiimote for different actions does seem compelling. There are a few gems coming out, but we collectively at GAF aren't sure whether this is the second coming of the SNES or the second coming of the GC. The first could be a revolution in mainstream gaming, the second could be a disaster for the future of Nintendo. Regardless, they still have Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon. Those franchises alone will carry the machine, regardless of other support or lack of graphical prowess.

360 - Taking America by storm. The sports games, the FPS's, the... Honestly I'm not qualified to talk about this one. Somebody else fill this in. The only thing I know is that its pretty big in the States and pretty dead in Japan. It will have an almost 10 mill lead on the PS3 by US launch, but will that be enough?

Someone said it earlier: next-gen really is beginning to shape up. And it's freaking exciting.

Vangellis

360: Ive had one for awhile now. Personally I think its a great system I was most interested in XBLA before I bought it. Im not disappointed at all. What impresses me the most about the xbox 360 is the improvement from the original xbox. The original xbox was ok, but it was a bit clumsy overall imo. The xbox 360 is really well thought out, the design, xbox live the marketplace, little details like turning the system on from the gamepad etc. They seem to have really taken the time to think about the design. Its very solid, so Im often confused by the bashing of the system. Game line up could be better and the damn thing sounds like a jetplane lol, but I like the system.

PS3: I find Sony to be so arrogant and its disgusts me. Their attitude makes it hard to justify buying the system anytime soon. "Next gen doesnt start till we say so?" lol please. I enjoy my PS2 it great, and has some of my favorite games on it but that in no way justifies Sonys attitude, a little humility and humbleness would help them be a better company imo. I could careless about the blue-ray format, maybe Im jaded but I see them including that drive not because they care about games. They care about getting their disk format in as many households as possible. What better way than using their sony fan base as pawns to create a some statics on how many blueray players are out there... even though most gamers could careless. Gamers just see PS3 and think ps2 rocks so the ps3 should too... shouldnt it? Personally I will buy into a new format after its been adopted fully, Im not some pawn for them to play with. Gamewise a few of the games look really nice, but are they "Next gen doesnt start till we say so?".... hell no, not even close. When you put the best of the Xbox 360 and the best of PS3 side by side they are the practically the same.The difference currently lies in the talent of the developer at this point. It should be a given that PS3 games should look better, the system is more expensive, and is newer. I will sit the PS3 out till the system's price tag becomes reasonable or till I see a game that is so amazing I have to have it. Currently Ive seen nothing thats floored me. Please dont bother flaming and calling me a fanboy for dissing the ps3. I just dont buy the sony hype bullshit. I have no brand loyalty, loyalty is for family and friends not corporations.

Wii: I enjoy alot of the Nintendo franchises. Love Metroid, Zelda etc... To be honest Im not sold on the Wii at all. Im going to let a friend of mine get it first. Its sounds fun at parties and after a few drinks, but do I really want to swing my arm all over the place when I play? Sounds really tiring. I prefer to separate my game and exercise time. I usually play a game to chill out. I also always play at night before I go to sleep. I dont think my wife is going to enjoy me whipping the nuchuck around to swing a sword at 11pm while Im laying in bed. The Xbox 360 or PS3 wireless gamepad is good for my play style. I love the innovation and design of the system looks very solid. Im was very interested in the virtual console but after hearing their crazy prices I was a bit turned off. I would prefer a monthly fee with access to all the games, rather than owning them... sort of like renting or something. Im interested but I just do see the system fitting how I play games currently. I think it will be a smash hit in Japan though.

snatches

Wii: Too expensive for what it is. Will buy 3 years from now @ $99 and buy top games for cheap.
360: Bought at launch, makes waiting for PS3 to be cheap + MGS4 that much easier.
PS3: Game consoles should not be $600, period. $399 + compelling software = purchase.

Wii: Played it the other day, will definitely purchase on day one. An outstanding piece of entertainment with an already huge plethora of games I want.

PS3: Love everything about it so far. I'll have to buy one next year as I can't afford it just yet but I do understand the pricing and it seems to be a great system.

360: Bought one at the beginning of the year and sold it a month later. Just not a fan of the games on it, though it is a good system. Just not for me.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Next gen is too expensive in a way that I find obscene. We have regressed.

i agree. I'm afraid the industry as a whole (****en dual SLI PCs included) might be in for a rude awakening this christmas

hyp

Jonnyram said:
Last gen sucks.

I can't stand 480i now I have a HDTV.

i can attest to that too. i've got my HD setup exclusively for my 360... and eventual PS3.
LC32GA5U_lg.jpg

480i on an HD set looks so damn bad that i had to hook up my last-gen consoles to a gimpy 14" CRT for my ps2/gc/xbox. it's like having a mini-HD set. :lol
toshiba_14af45-150-150.jpg

m0dus said:
I won't go TOO much into the folly of selling the system a month later, especially knowing that the big titles were coming out in the fall. To say nothing of the good shit that came out in feb-march (GRAW, FightNight, etc) :) but that's another thread

Well I have played some of the better games like Oblivion, Ghost Recon, etc. My roommate has a 360 and most of the "good stuff," and I'm still not really a big fan.

TigerKnee

Blue Geezer said:
360: not going to buy it. ever.
Wii: day one purchase
PS3 maybe if it dropped £200.
DS: ds lite me want!

now:

360: have it and dead rising madden 07 fight night and graw
wii: pre ordered.
PS3: maybe if it dropped £200.
DS: have it and 10-11 games.

So.. What made you change your mind about the 360?

Dahbomb

PS3 - Action gaming heaven, lots of exclusives and lots of bells + whistles. Negative on the price side. Blu-Ray = Trojan strategy. Still the obvious powerhouse on the block, with the most multimedia features. Stuff like 7 controllers seems a bit overkill, but as it should be... I need overkill stuff for an overkill price. :lol

360 - Solid overall console/price/hardware/software. Nothing TOO outstanding but everything seems to be solid. Great online infrastructure. Lacks some key exclusives that the PS3 has which could make all the difference in the world.

Wii - Zelda Twilight Princess = Stealth Trojan Strategy.

Overall though, my opinion of next-gen is that with the expansion of the industry, the company execs feel the need to find EVERY SINGLE oppurtunity to rape our wallets. I mean for crying out loud, I was actually RELIEVED when Sony announced $42 controllers for Japan... :lol

Among the $60 game prices, the higher console prices, the online transactions + purchases + Accessories to get hooked up to online, the microrapeages, the high priced accessories, the HD upgrading with buying cables, the stealth trojan rapeages (Blu-Ray + Zelda TP), last ditch add ons (HD-DVDs) and "money hatting" I am seriously getting considering selling some organs to game next-gen. :lol

Current generation FTW, screw all you HD whores!

ElectricBlue187 said:
i agree. I'm afraid the industry as a whole (****en dual SLI PCs included) might be in for a rude awakening this christmas

I have a feeling they won't get a rude awakening until the next wave of consoles hits in 5-6 years when new players jump into the scene and give us what we actually want.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Before
PS3: Launch day purchase! I can't wait, truly magical
PSP: First system to buy at launch. I think is the best purchase ever made
Wii: WTF, ok i'll buy it for my nephew
360: Damn you MS, you abandon my dear Xbox. I hate you and will not be fooled twice!
Last Gen: Can't wait for next gen

Now
PS3 : OMFG I must own Motorstorm and Resistance on day 1
PSP: Damn piracy killing my PSP! Still waiting for killer apps especially RPGs FF7:CC
Wii: At those prices, you have to be kidding me. I'll just let my nephew have my PS2
360: Got one enjoying XBL. Felt in the MS trap. Mostly play Halo 2 (controller kicks ass) though. Waiting for killer app. Prey, GRAW and COD just don't cut it for me.
Last Gen: Playing great games recently, and with FF12 coming, Next Gen doesn't seem as necessary.

WARCOCK

Banned
PS3- Growing interest, DMC4 and GT5(Finally fine italian engineering included) might sell me the system. Really disgruntled with the price and the fact that the only interesting games are ps2 games with a nice new coat of paint (Rofl at sonybots calling waggle a gimmick and failing notice that mgs4 so far is mgs 2,3 WITH BACK FACING THE FLOOR ACTIONZZ!!!?). Nice attempt at original new titles from third and first parties too bad they all suffer from a major case of teh suck. K, LETS WATCH HIPPOS RUN OVER MEREKAT COLONIES WEEE!!!1 GTA FOR NATURALISTS!!!1 give me a ****ing break. Resistance? well its non-halo console fps. I really dont give a **** about all the high res. HDMI stuff and especially not blue ray. It makes me laugh that all the SDF whores are lashing out at PCs' for being way to expensive and ignore the fact that if you want proper high res. and sound you are going to shell out probably twice as much for it then a beefy pc. What might tip the balance? FF13 being godly or a matsuno come back(instant purchase). Matsuno should be on ps3, sadly i think his eccentric style cant be reproduced with waggle.

Wii- Looks fun, concept still remains to be proven. Will not replace controller as standard console experience but could prove to be a worthwhile alternative and perhaps even beyond that. Im giving the console the benefit of a doubt, no doubt mario and zelda are going to own though.Will not spend 250 for it though.

360- Great value in my eyes, best of next gen. Very similar visual quality to ps3 and since i dont care to pay over 2000 dollars for a moderate to barely noticeable general difference in my media, the whole BLU RAY/HDMI out of the box is really meh imo. Sadly the games for it just dont appeal to me. OG content that seems cool are the mistwalker games,some of the capcom stuff and Halo related stuff which will find its way on PC anyways with a better framerate!

PC- This one seems to be really pushing the bar this time, provided you have bank. Crysis still is the game to beat in terms of visual quality and not by a longshot. Supreme Commander pushes the envelope in terms of gaming in general the new concepts and level of detail seem out of this effin world, not to mention the scale. Source is picking up, moreso then HL1: portal,tf2 and a huge amount of free third party mods(some of which turn up to be gems like CS and DoD). Also let me make it clear that console source is going to be garbage unless you can take control of console commands to optimize net code and fps settings(my pc pushes about 250 fps which is excessive interesting to see how it turns out on consoles prolly locked 60, which is horrible for good CS/DoD players), still need to deal with garbage controls and lack of contact with the pc community.). Quakewars, C&C3, future Blizzard games, potential bioware titles(could be on consoles too. ALL OF THIS AT A PRICE TAG OF 1k!!!111

Kolgar

A year ago I was cautiously optimistic about Sony's "spring 2006" launch for PS3. It was the only system I cared about.

Now I own a 360 and don't really care about PS3 or Wii.

I may buy a PS3 when it hits $199 or if I decide I want a cheap BR player to take advantage of my 1080p TV. Or if Team Ico's next game is as good as Shadow of the Colossus.

As for Wii - I've been drifting away from Nintendo the past couple generations and the waggle wand + last-gen graphics has pretty much taken me out of the game.

genjiZERO

Nothing has changed for me

PS3 - has all the Japanese games so I'll buy it. Basically whichever system FF is on is the system I'll buy. Everyone knew a year ago it would be on the PS3 so I wasn't at all shocked by FF13 (not even about how awesome it looks!). Right now what's holding me off is the price. I'll get one when the non-tard is going for $500US

Wii - I was psyched about it last year... but so far none of the games (except Mario and Zelda) seem remotely interesting), the pricing sux and the regional lockout is obtuse. Now I'm totally holding off until a price drop and some interesting games come out.

360 - didn't care a year ago and don't care now. It doesn't have any Japanese games at all and I don't care about online, so it doesn't have anything to offer me.

DS - has some awesome games... but I don't really need/want a handheld. But really the best place for games last year and now. I haven't played mine in months

PSP - I bought it to use as an mp3 player... what a mistake that was! Last year Lumines was the only game worth owning. Now it's got a slightly better library, but again... I don't really need/want to play handhelds. I can't remember the lsat time I even turned it on.

koam

CajoleJuice said:
Wii sucks.
Xbox 360 sucks.
PS3 sucks.
You suck.

Last gen FTW.

winner!

Now
PS3 : OMFG I must own Motorstorm and Resistance on day 1

Wii: At those prices, you have to be kidding me. I'll just let my nephew have my PS2

:lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think "next gen" is a very low value proposition for most gamers and mostly represents game companies perfecting the art of wringing out maximum dollars for a minimum of content. It will of course have many pleasurable moments, but that march will not relent, it will only become more slick from the provider side.

With content delivery extremely tied to proprietary platforms, huge technical budgets involved in most projects, etc. I think the idea that the media will broaden and offer us something more than just entertainment is more and more a pipe dream. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, it just is what it is.

I think when the majority of hard core fans are more interested in the marketing and loyalty issues of gaming you can see that the imagination is just about as dead in the market as it seems to be in most development houses.

Ok, my gaming view is pretty jaundiced lately :lol

Ikael

Past
360 - This is the Xbox 1.5. The software lineup just confirms that the very only taste and market that Microsoft cares about is the American one. Since I am European I am simply going to ignore it. The PS3 is probably gonna trounce this system both in library and specs.
PS3 - It is a console better planned and put together than the 360. It will have the sequels to some of my favourite sagas, and then some surprises. I cannot wait to see what the third parties are gonna come with. I will eventually buy it for sure.
Wii- When the remote was unveiled, I was completely pumped about its possibilities. I thought that this system could own badly. I just needed to see which software will proove that this was the control of the future...
PSP- I had the suspiction, even back then, that this could offer nothing but downgraded PS2 games on the go.
DS- It interested me, but it seemed more like a curiosity to me than a serious platafform.

Present
360 - Did I said that it was just another xbox... wait. Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragoon, Banjo, Viva Piñata, Assassin's creed... woa. That's a lineup light years ahed of the one that the previous Xbox have. Now it we have something besides sports and FPS games. And Japanese exclusives too. Very well done. I will buy it when these aforementioned titles comes out, or if there's a price reduction. It can be a very solid competitor against Sony.
PS3 - The price, the controller, the target renders, the library... this is looking each time more like the N64. Also, it dissapointed me the lack of surprises. No single exclusive title that has impressed me besides White Knight. Graphics looks great but deffinetly not better than the 360's ones. It seem that it is all on the developer's talent. And developers seems to go extremely conservative when making games for the PS3. It offers me way too similar experiences to this current gen, and at 500€, not to mentiont that some of its games just look... boring.
Wii- The hardware and price has putted my interest down. Specially dissapointed to see how little ideas and good franchises had been adapted to the wiimote. I want my Nights Wii *sigh* However, the possitive impressions about its games keeps my interest alive. Trauma Center and Excite Truck might not be the most prestigious franchises ever, but it seems that they will be a blast to play. And the remote seems to live up its expectations :)
PSP - My paranoias were confirmed. I wasn't interested on the GBA because all it could offer were downgraded SNes games on the go, so no, I am not interested in downgraded PS2 games either.
DS- Shit, this might be the machine that introduces me in the handled ghetto. Non replicable, unique experiences FTW!

ronito

PS3: $600?!!! But it does have the big games I'd love to play. I know I'll eventually get one, but it will be years and years down the line.

Wii: $250?!!! Overpriced for what it is. Still Zelda: TP, the VC and new ways of playing games will most likely make it the first Next gen console I will buy.

360: I can play FPSes and Space Marine games on my CPU just fine thanks. Still though Blue Dragon and Lost Odessy are very intriguing. But, I'm pretty sure that I wont be getting this just for those 2 games, so I don't ever see myself really getting a 360 unless the software lineup changes dramatically.

Bezz

Banned
Playstation 3

+1 purchased since the day it was announced. Im just in love with Sony, Kutaragi, and Kaz. ps3 will be my console of choice this gen and I will spend most of the money there. With DMC4, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, JRPGs, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, and many more games to come I cant go wrong. I know Ken is not popular around here, but I think everything he has done up to know is great. 600 dollars is a lot of money, but I get many things (too long to list) and (AT LEAST) 6 YEARS OF STRONG SUPPORT.

XBOX 360

Who im I kidding? I have never been a fan of the xbox. I have an xbox and I probably bought 9 games for it. LIVE is great, but I feel that is the only thing it has over the competition (LIVE=Online gaming, Arcade, etc) and the whole "overheating issues" just pushed me away from it. I dont think I will buy one until 2008.

Wii

Never been interest. IMHO the controller is stupid, but hey, many people love it. Might buy one when Zelda and Mario (really the only thing the Wii has) are in the cheapo bin and the Wii is 150 dollars.

Handhelds

NDS when Pokemans hit the States, and a PSP when PS1 emulator comes. I think the PSP will come first:)

AniHawk

AniHawk, 2004
PS3: Gonna be completely awesome and give me all the games I could possibly want.
360: Gonna be completely awesome and it's coming out next year and the games are gonna be awesome.
Revolution: It'll have Mario and Zelda and Fire Emblem so it's a buy.

Handhelds:

DS: Nintendo is doomed
PSP: We have a new handheld king

AniHawk, 2005
PS3: Gonna completely kick ass. Sony would never rape their customers with the pricing of the system.
360: $400? Microsoft is ****ing crazy. I'm never paying that. I hope the 360 dies and dies hard.
Revolution: Nintendo's last console.

Handhelds:

DS: Why did I not resist the urge to buy system.
PSP: Must. Resist. Urge. To buy system.

AniHawk, E3 2006
PS3: $600? Sony is ****ing crazy. I'm never paying that. I hope the PS3 dies and dies hard.
360: Wii60 FTW! ^_^
Wii: Wii60 FTW ^_^

Handhelds:

DS: Awesome, but overpriced
PSP: No games no sale.

AniHawk, Present Day
PS3: Overpriced, will buy when it's $300
360: Overpriced, will buy when it's $300
Wii: Overpriced, hey it's already under $300

Handhelds:

DS: Awesome, but overpriced
PSP: No games no sale.

Idioteque

PS3:Always planed on getting one. Will get it when I have $500 saved up.
Wii: System is looking better now. Will start saving for one after I get a PS3.
360: Don't ever plan on buying one.

nilay

ps3 = when cheap and has mgs4 and ff13
x360 = own but it sits there collecting dust
wii = launch + zelda + trauma center *drool*
current gen = too many sexy game like okami still waiting to be played <3
ds = hawt

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
at e3, i was totally down on ps3. the games (other then heavenly sword and mgs4) didnt impress, and the price just blew my mind. since then, i've decided i could likely afford the tard pack, and the games have come together quite a bit. i'm still not sure i really need 2 next-gen consoles, but i'm also quite sure i wont be able to resist the ps3 temptation for long... doubt i'll even try to get one at launch though.

my opinion on wii hasnt changed in the slightest, in fact, its worsened quite a bit. the waggle wand still doesnt seem to really do anything that i couldnt do better on a twin analogue set up, the games dont interest me, and the price is absurd. i cannot see myself ever getting one.

D3VI0US

No 360 until Halo 3 unless Gears is really amazing and Guitar Hero 2 comes out on the same day as on PS2.

No Wii until Punchout, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, and Contra's are online or Mario Galaxy comes out and isn't crappy like Sunshine.

No PS3 for now, it will be the last next gen system I purchase and I'll get one eventually unless there is a must have game out for it but nothing in the pipe really gives me a chubby.

360: I bought at launch. I was impressed with the graphics over the current gen, but in hindsight it wasn't the best thing but it was nice to have one when DOA4 and especially Oblivion came out. I also could not stop playing Dead Rising and cannot wait for Gears of War.

Wii: The $250 price isn't too bad since it comes with a game (I consider it one). If they games are $50 that's fine, and it'll be nicer if they do what some of the 360 games do, and drop after a few weeks. I'll be getting one at launch with Trauma Center, Red Steel and Zelda.

PS3: After e3 I wasn't too impressed because I didnt' see enough game footage to see what the games were actually going to look like. Here lately I've become really impressed with the PS3 games but there is nothing I want at launch. MotorStorm looks AMAZING but it is a game I probably wouldn't play all that much. My girlfriend and I are holding out for DMC4 and MGS4 respectively.

I see alot of tables turned. I was initially in the mind that GAF loved the Wii and that the PS3 was trash. Not entirely surprised that the PS3's recent impressions have followed through with their initial promises (to an extent). I always had faith in the PS3 through the good and bad. Still not a launch buy, but if I have the money MGS4, DMC4, GOW3 and Resistance is more than enough to justify a purchase.

How can GAF as a whole possible have a unified stance? I mean seriously, this is a public forum, with lots of different people, with WILDLY different views on games. Seriously I'm just Joe Schmo videogame player and with 50 odd posts in this thread, if I post my views I count for 2% of the forum population, and frankly I definatly shouldn't be given that sort of representation.

Now of course if you actually meant "Hey GAF, sound off on your opinions on next gen" Here's my two cents

Wii: Like Nintendo says, playing is believeing, so I'm waiting until I play it to see if it's compelling

X360: Awesome. Will got one this holiday season, no doubt in my mind.

PS3: That White Knight video was cool, but I seriously need to see more gameplay footage from compelling games to make me consider this.

PS3---unimpressive art design in most titles(almost everything looks so slick, so polished, so uncreative----paint by numbers alien/monster designs do not an impressive game make)

Xbox 360---fares better than the PS3 but still no killer apps for me(hopefully Gears of War will give me an awakening) Still holds a lot of promise though

Wii---FUN.

Mar

Martoo said:
My position has pretty much stayed unchanged from the orginal plan of:

Before:
Wii: Launch day.
PS3: When Silent Hill 5 is released.
360: When I have the spare cash lying around. Dead Rising wants my money.
PSP: When Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins is released.

How it looks now:

After:
Wii: Worried about the game prices. If they end up costing the same as 360 games, I'm going to start questioning my purchase.
PS3: Starting to warm to the system a little more, getting a little more excited. But again, when SH5 is released.
360: Dead Rising and lots of cool stuff on XBLA. I'll pick one up for Christmas I think.
PSP: Purchased and loving UGnG.

Quoting myself because I forgot to mention one system:

Before:
DS: Best system I've owned since the SNES / Megadrive combo.

After:
DSLite: Even better than the DS and now boasts the largest software collection I've had since the SNES / Megadrive combo.

Overall stance on next gen: Great time to be into gaming. Our favourite franchises (or most of them) are getting new versions with better graphics and control methods. Competition is heating up and will ensure developers put 100% into their games.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that everything looks so damn expensive. Why are games back at $120 (Australian prices)? I haven't paid that since the first Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. I think it's very worrying, especially for Nintendo games that have no excuse to be at that price.

Cosmozone

My stance didn't change that much, but it at least did.

Wii:
Why is there only a white console for launch! I wanted a black one so bad!! >:-( Eventually I'll break and get it at or soon after launch. More expensive than I anticipated, but the pack-in game and Wii channels make up for it. Since the complete experience is very dependent on online, I'm a bit anxious, being the first time going online with a console, I'll need a wireless setup. Very interested to try the controller for myself. And it has Super Mario Galaxy, the only next-gen game so far that holds up graphically to last-gen's Okami. Ok, Heroes and PS3's White Knight are not far behind.

PS3:
Not many interesting games, but that's expected. There will be more later. I originally planned to not buy it before 2008. That somewhat shifted to 2009 now, gives it time to sort out problems, drop the price and build up a library. Where is my Silent Hill 5 Konami? I will need a HDTV, too. Or a projector? Haven't decided yet. Stuff still too expensive as well.

Xbox 360:
Hard- and Software is ok, I guess. It seems that the console is too noisy und not too reliable, though. People who bought this should have waited at least until 2008. I definitely won't buy it.

PSP:
Still too expensive and the movie function is completely useless. But it has some games that interest me and the console looks great (not the white one). I'll reconsider when price has dropped at least to €160 (Currently at €200).

DS(L):
I have one er two. Don't have too much time to play it, though. What a pity.

Current Gen:
Eventually the winner for now. Backlog is still huge. And that white Wii colour might change my earlier decision to get a home console at launch for the first time. And it has Okami which will arrive in early 2007 in Europe.

Then:

360: Not interested. The only Xbox games I was interested in came to PC.

PS3: Maybe, since I really enjoy my PS2.

Wii: YES PLEASE.

Now:

360: Slightly more interested due to the fact that there are actually JRPGs being developed for it, but I want to wait and see if it'll actually persist or not. Otherwise, still not interested.

PS3: Beautiful graphics but that's about it. Not worth $600.

Wii: Slightly less enthusiastic due to the price. Still will probably get, but want to wait and see.

For now, I'm perfectly happy with this gen and past gen's backlogs. I don't think I'll get any of these until late 2007 at the earliest.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
From one year ago?

Well for starters Wii is now a serious contender, which in itself is a huge turn around from a year ago when it was all about Xbox 360 vs. PS3, while Nintendo wasn't even looked at.

PS3 went from sure winner to uncertain winner, which is also a big turn around in a negative way. This time last year Sony could do no wrong, and although they've shown some pretty impressive games at TGS it's definitely not comparable to last year, the fact that the system has been delayed a lot and the price is higher than expected has a big deal of influence on that.

The 360 was always perceived as a serious contender but now it's getting the acclaim it deserves, it's not as much of a jump as Nintendo's but it is still very considerable. The fact that Sony is definitely under delivering on their hype has benefitted them a lot and the Xbox 360 is in a much better position.

For me personally, my stance remains the same as it was a year ago and a year before that, which is that Nintendo will surprise a lot of people with their success this gen, I think even with their recent momentum the surprise factor will still be there.

Xbox360/PS3: 65nm or bust!
Wii: I'm still wary about the remote. It doesn't look all that precise and doesn't seem like it brings anything new enough to the table to justify the weak hardware.

Pimpbaa

Then:

360-Very interested in getting due to my love of the original xbox.
PS3-Same goes for this.
Wii-Not a chance due to the limited enjoyment I got out of my gamecube, plus early reports of being underpowered.

Now:

360-I refuse to buy shoddy hardware. Fix your shit MS.
PS3-Launch hardware for $500 bucks american, and that's just the core model? NO!
Wii-Will be my only "next-gen" system until the other 2 get their shit together.

Jokeropia

Nothing has changed. I already own a 360 and will be getting a Wii launch day. PS3 is the least appealing system and since it's also the most expensive I don't see a purchase in the foreseeable future.

I don't see how the Wii price is a big deal really. I expected $199 but $249 with a game is pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Jokeropia said:
I don't see how the Wii price is a big deal really. I expected $199 but $249 with a game is pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

I think many are highly underestimating the promise of Wii Sports and actually have the audacity to not even consider it a real game.

I read hands-on upon hands-on and for the most part, people say it's really fun stuff. I even heard bowling rules and that was one I wasn't sure of regarding the controller. Don't let peoples' shouts of basic fool you, control-wise these games seem to have some depth.

SpacLock

- Xbox 360 Is a great system. My stance on it right now is, i got my moneys worth and nothing more. When Gears of War and Halo 3 come out, my 360's value is going sky rocket.

- PS3 also looks promising. I'm not going to judge it before i get my hands on it, but from everything i've read and have seen it looks like it's going to be a hell of a system. I do not care about 1080p or Blu-Ray, all i want is games in 720p. I don't care for motion sense control bullshit and i hope alot of games don't depend on it. I also don't care for vibration that much so no worries about them deciding to keep it out. I don't like the price at all.

- Wii is looking alright. I know the virtual console is going to be cool and games like wario and mario are going to be great. From everything i've heard about Zelda: TP it sounds like it's going to be the greatest Zelda yet. I think the controller idea is very cool but i'd never want that to be the standard for all console gaming. If anything, I think the Wii will be a good secondary system and nothing more. Will i buy a Wii? Probably not.

Top Bottom