• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Just a update. The Otterbox Defender fits perfectly with a GSM model and 2000 mAh battery.
Man your phone must look like a tank. Got the commuter myself...ill find out soon how it fits with the Verizon extended battery. All indications are that it fits but the plastic is slightly raised on the bottom. Some people take off the cover but not sure how I feel about that. Maybe it can be modified.

DarkFlow

Banned
Man your phone must look like a tank. Got the commuter myself...ill find out soon how it fits with the Verizon extended battery. All indications are that it fits but the plastic is slightly raised on the bottom. Some people take off the cover but not sure how I feel about that. Maybe it can be modified.
Well I only got it because Amazon did not have a commuter on prime. Plus I like the belt clip. It's for sure bigger but not overly huge.

Piano

Banned
If I jump ship from stock rooted 4.0.4 to AOKP will my phone be noticeably faster / more responsive? I'm not all that interested in the extra features afforded to me by custom roms but am looking to make my Verizon Nexus leaner and meaner if I can.

On leankernel at the moment.

DarkFlow

Banned
If I jump ship from stock rooted 4.0.4 to AOKP will my phone be noticeably faster / more responsive? I'm not all that interested in the extra features afforded to me by custom roms but am looking to make my Verizon Nexus leaner and meaner if I can.

On leankernel at the moment.
It will be. They also have a lean ICS rom that's about 60mb and strips out a lot.

rozay

Banned
Does 4.0.4 on the verizon nexus fix the microphone cutting out mid call and lackluster radio? Wondering if it's safe to start recommending this phone to friends again.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Is the Verizon OTA IMM76K 4.0.4 the same as the 4.0.4 leaked a month ago?
Yes, should be. MD5 sums match I believe.

Does 4.0.4 on the verizon nexus fix the microphone cutting out mid call and lackluster radio? Wondering if it's safe to start recommending this phone to friends again.
I think I've heard a few people report it doesn't for them (mic mute). That seems like a very tricky bug to track down for Verizon (and an inexcusable one too). From what I gathered it seems to effect certain regions more than others and could be related to the cell towers there. I've also heard of it effecting other LTE phones and not just the Nexus, although the Nexus seems to have a pretty high rate of occurrence.

thespot84

Yes, should be. MD5 sums match I believe.

I think I've heard a few people report it doesn't for them (mic mute). That seems like a very tricky bug to track down for Verizon (and an inexcusable one too). From what I gathered it seems to effect certain regions more than others and could be related to the cell towers there. I've also heard of it effecting other LTE phones and not just the Nexus, although the Nexus seems to have a pretty high rate of occurrence.

I've been having problems, and maybe more after the 4.0.4 update, with people not being able to hear me....

rozay

Banned
Yeah, sadly I can't recommend people to buy a phone that doesn't work as a phone. Shame the GS3 is coming out so late on Verizon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've had no problems with calls on my Verizon GNex. Texts sometimes fail or are late, but calls have been smooth sailing. And I've tested it in both the heart of Boston and Boondocks, CT.

4.0.4 has been awesome for me. A lot smoother, more subtle animations, better stability (in some areas.) However the camera not being able to connect at the worst moments is still present. Lame.

DarkFlow

Banned
Right but I'm not sure if stripping any of that makes the phone any faster. I'm not at all strapped for storage space.
Well I meant it strips out a lot of apps and framework to make to fly. it's too basic for my tastes but others like it.

I got the Otterbox Commuter. Fits the Verizon phone with the extended battery but there is that slight gap on the bottom between the rubber and the hard plastic

kehs

Banned
The only thing I don't like about the app is the lack of filter tuning, it's to general.

Plus some videos won't play because it's mobile/ad supported.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
App is OK but I don't like how it doesn't let me listen to a vid if I turn the screen off.

Cudder

My Galaxy Nexus is still on 4.0.2.

This shit is not even funny anymore, they call this a Nexus device? My Nexus One saw more update action than this. Google dropping the ball on this device is seriously making me want to go iOS.

This shit is not even funny anymore, they call this a Nexus device? My Nexus One saw more update action than this. Google dropping the ball on this device is seriously making me want to go iOS.

It's easy to install the updates yourself, why wait for an OTA?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I can understand being annoyed, but the empty threat of going to iOS is a bit much. Come on. ICS is awesome in any incarnation and while 4.0.4 makes things better it's not as much of a killer update it's made out to be.

Also I updated manually using the cache clear trick, it's not that hard. Three minutes, literally.

Nicktendo86

Well I've taken the Nexus plunge, what a fantastic phone. Two questions however if anyone knows:

Any word on when Twitter might get updated to allow you to sync contacts on the people app? I know an older version of Twitter allowed this but the newest one doesn't...

Also I have an official mesh case, does anyone know if this is compatible with the official extended battery?

SimleuqiR

Well I've taken the Nexus plunge, what a fantastic phone. Two questions however if anyone knows:

Any word on when Twitter might get updated to allow you to sync contacts on the people app? I know an older version of Twitter allowed this but the newest one doesn't...

Also I have an official mesh case, does anyone know if this is compatible with the official extended battery?

Sadly I don't think you will ever see the contact sync functionality from either Twitter and Facebook through their Android app.

gutshot

So I've had my phone for less than 3 weeks and already it's got a scratch right in the middle of the screen. I have no idea how it got there. Any chance I could go into Verizon and raise a stink and they'd give me a new one?

zatara

So I've had my phone for less than 3 weeks and already it's got a scratch right in the middle of the screen. I have no idea how it got there. Any chance I could go into Verizon and raise a stink and they'd give me a new one?

Raise a stink about something else wrong with the phone, something that wouldn't be the result of physical damage. Like calls dropping, and demand a new phone, and while they are looking at your phone bring up convo about other stuff so they aren't really paying attention to the phone.

Nicktendo86

Sadly I don't think you will ever see the contact sync functionality from either Twitter and Facebook through their Android app.

Bummer. I have already downloaded a third party app to sync Facebook which works pretty well, will have to do the same with twitter I guess.

Lucky for you, as a Galaxy Nexus owner it's easy to hack it in.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1631796

You can install this rooted, modified 4.0.4 directly over the stock 4.0.4. Then you follow the directions to install the Facebook sync mod and disable Google's lockout. Suddenly the Facebook Android app magically starts working for contact sync. Then you win and you can go deposit your checks now.

Someone should mention to Google that the last company which went around purposely locking out competitor's software from accessing features in their OS was Microsoft in the 1990s and it didn't go so well for them with the US Government. Maybe they should stop doing shit like that.

Nicktendo86

Lucky for you, as a Galaxy Nexus owner it's easy to hack it in.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1631796

You can install this rooted, modified 4.0.4 directly over the stock 4.0.4. Then you follow the directions to install the Facebook sync mod and disable Google's lockout. Suddenly the Facebook Android app magically starts working for contact sync. Then you win and you can go deposit your checks now.

Someone should mention to Google that the last company which went around purposely locking out competitor's software from accessing features in their OS was Microsoft in the 1990s and it didn't go so well for them with the US Government. Maybe they should stop doing shit like that.

Wow, thanks for this, will give it a try. As I say have downloaded HaxSync which works pretty well and I've installed an old version of Twitter before the lockout to get sync working but this is all a bit silly. One of the big features of ICS was the people app and how it brings your contacts social media posts together
so long as they use Google+

Mœbius

Hey guys, I've just joined the Nexus (and Android) club. Sure this has been asked before, but the thread is long and I didn't see anything in the OP relating to it so...

Sim is in, phone is charged - what are the first things I must do once I power it up? Any recommendations for settings, apps etc.?

Thanks!

Nicktendo86

Hey guys, I've just joined the Nexus (and Android) club. Sure this has been asked before, but the thread is long and I didn't see anything in the OP relating to it so...

Sim is in, phone is charged - what are the first things I must do once I power it up? Any recommendations for settings, apps etc.?

Thanks!

Welcome to the club! One thing I have learnt from my GS2 is do not leave brightness on full as you may get burn in. I have found about 60% brightness on the nexus is perfect. Also if you want to actually hear the clicky noises of key presses etc download an app called volume control, the default max volume of the external speaker is really low.

Other than that have fun!

Mordeccai

Anybody else trying out the Linaro builds coming out? Flashed AOKP 38 w/ linaro last night, gonna let it run on my phone for today and maybe a bit of tomorrow before I report on battery life.

=pirateben]Hey guys, I've just joined the Nexus (and Android) club. Sure this has been asked before, but the thread is long and I didn't see anything in the OP relating to it so...

Thanks!

The first thing you need to know: if you want decent battery life, keep the screen off of max brightness. To be honest I use mostly google apps on my phone, so I can't really comment on apps you should download. But definitely browse through the market and check the top app lists for all of the categories you're interested in, no reason to not try all of the apps out!

This is related to the brightness kind of, but make sure you have a screen time off on there too (unless you're obsessive like me on turning the screen off every time you put the phone down).

Other than that, I really have no extra advice. Have fun is pretty much the root of it! Its a sexy device.

SimleuqiR

Thanks!

Your first Android phone? Ever? Do you use Google Gmail contacts at all?

I just read about this app:

http://www.androidtapp.com/migration-transfer-contacts/

Migration+-Contacts-checklist-550x977.png

Might be helpful to move contacts from one platform to the other (if not using Google to store your contacts).

I would recommend Nova Launcher to better customize/ organize the app drawer.

Also Power Controls which allows you to place said controls in the Notification bar.

Top Bottom