• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017 Nominees Revealed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So many nominations for AC Origins and Shadow Of War. What a shit E3.
At least for playable games.
Two sequels that in extended play sessions look like substantial improvements over their predecessors? A claim backed up by the majority of hands on impressions people had with the games? Did you just decide that they're both automatically mediocre or do all those positive impressions not count towards anything? I'm not even hyped for Mordor, but i definitely noticed that a lot of good things were being said about it.

spekkeh

Banned
The praise AC keeps getting from the press intrigues me. I saw the trailer in the conference and immediately zoned out because it looks pretty much exactly the same as previous ACs... is there something important I'm missing?

amdb00mer

The hate this game (and the first one) gets on gaf always baffle me

It has to be because MS has the marketing rights. No other reason for it. The game is solid in story, mechanics, and level design. The nemesis system alone is worth playing the game.

Just want to confirm, a game can win "Best of E3" when it was a game a reviewer WATCHED someone else play and never actually got to touch themselves, correct? And when they do, it's like minutes on a show floor as opposed to like hours in their office or on the couch, no?

It has to be because MS has the marketing rights. No other reason for it.

sure..

to me it's just one of those games that is mediocre but gets praised as good so people feel the need to tell everyone that it's the worst thing ever.
i personally think it's mediocre but nothing terrible.

Crossing Eden

The praise AC keeps getting from the press intrigues me. I saw the trailer in the conference and immediately zoned out because it looks pretty much exactly the same as previous ACs... is there something important I'm missing?
The demo was so limited that it did a pretty poor job of showcasing how different this title is beyond the new abilities. There's so many Witcher 3 influences as well as way more sandbox elements not unlike those seen in FC and BOTW.

It has to be because MS has the marketing rights. No other reason for it. The game is solid in story, mechanics, and level design. The nemesis system alone is worth playing the game.
The side quest design was really cookie cutter and disappointing tho, especially since it had no effect on the world overall. As well as the difficulty because I literally never died, nor had to flee....and the only reason I wasn't fully leveled by the second half was because of the fact that some abilities are locked off by story missions. But otherwise yes it's a fun game to play where like Dishonored you're completely OP compared to the enemies.

amdb00mer

sure..

to me it's just one of those games that is mediocre but gets praised as good so people feel the need to tell everyone that it's the worst thing ever.
i personally think it's mediocre but nothing terrible.

The demo was so limited that it did a pretty poor job of showcasing how different this title is beyond the new abilities. There's so many Witcher 3 influences as well as way more sandbox elements not unlike those seen in FC and BOTW.

The side quest design was really cookie cutter and disappointing tho, especially since it had no effect on the world overall. As well as the difficulty because I literally never died, nor had to flee....and the only reason I wasn't fully leveled by the second half was because of the fact that some abilities are locked off by story missions. But otherwise yes it's a fun game to play where like Dishonored you're completely OP compared to the enemies.

I felt the same way about Destiny. I thought it had a mediocre or really lacking story and the quests were generic with the exception of a few. However, it still had some great game mechanics, so while it was not the be-all end-all FPS, I thought it was still enjoyable. Yet some people would disagree and say it was either complete shit or the best thing since sliced bread. Then again, this argument can be applied to almost any game that had polarizing views on quality. I brought up the MS marketing rights because some people hated on Destiny because of its marketing deal with Sony, which is really just a lame thing to do. A marketing deal does not determine if a game is terrible or not.

mas8705

Best of Show
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo)
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft Paris/Ubisoft Milan/Ubisoft)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Monolith/Warner Bros Interactive Ent.)
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Machine Games/Bethesda)

Can we take a moment and point out that out out of the five games shown here, two of these are Switch Exclusives? Not sure what that says about the others, but this is rather fascinating to see the Switch to continue to have this much of an impact in year one. That said, it will be nice if Mario Odyssey does win Best of Show, while it will be a real shocker if Mario + Rabbids takes it.

But if it does win, I demand one simple thing: The Creative Director has to give a speech!

DCrUucVXkAEbNbJ.jpg

This man has become such a delight in the world of gaming and I would love to hear his thoughts if the game he designed for Miyamoto was seen as the "Best of Show" in comparison to Odyssey. Probably won't happen mind you, but hell: It wouldn't be the first time people underestimated this man.

Gurish

Wolfenstein 2 was playbe? didn't see any press gameplay vids.

The fact that AC is nominated even though it looks as dull as always speaks volume of how weak this E3 has been.

mas8705

Wolfenstein 2 was playbe? didn't see any press gameplay vids.

The fact that AC is nominated even though it looks as dull as always speaks volume of how weak this E3 has been.

If I recall correctly, Bethesda does their gameplay within their booths and usually out of the nearby eyes of onlookers. Usually you have to set up an appointment to actually play any of Bethesda's games at E3. Still, it would still be playable (just not in the open like other publishers).

Sad Spiderman didn't make the cut considering they showed gameplay.

They showed gameplay, but did anyone get to actually play Spiderman at E3?

Gurish

If I recall correctly, Bethesda does their gameplay within their booths and usually out of the nearby eyes of onlookers. Usually you have to set up an appointment to actually play any of Bethesda's games at E3. Still, it would still be playable (just not in the open like other publishers).

What about TEW2 than, was it playable? if it was than why it didn't get to the list? :(

Incredible to see the response to Mario + Rabbids. The turnaround is even more astounding. Hope Ubisoft Crying man is happy :)

I love the Rabbids and I love Mario so I'm happy with the list.

AAK

Neogaf voters didn't play games anyways.
Playable game won.
Why does it matter?

I just don't like seeing stuff like Metroid 4 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 getting nominated so high over other games who deserve far greater recognition after their developers worked their assess off getting playable demos ready for the show.

Kolx

If the game had a demonstration by gameplay for the media it should've been included regardless of whether it was playable or not. At least Mario and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus are still there.

What is wrong with you guys? Are you serious with this?

Both games didn't look impressive at all.

MisterR

I think it's more a case of like Dragon Age Inquisition, where it got a ton of praise early in this generation, when there really weren't a lot of great games. Due to the lack of competition they won game of the year awards and stuff that they really probably didn't deserve in better years. So there is some backlash now to kind of mediocre games getting overpraised.

Deku89

I kind of want Mario x Rabbids to win, just to see the resulting shitshow that will follow :p

I actually don't think there would be much of one if Rabbids did win. I think Mario Odyssey is favored to win, but having another Mario game probably wouldn't upset them too much. Plus, it's had a bunch of positive reception.

Crossing Eden

I think it's more a case of like Dragon Age Inquisition, where it got a ton of praise early in this generation, when there really weren't a lot of great games. Due to the lack of competition they won game of the year awards and stuff that they really probably didn't deserve in better years. So there is some backlash now to kind of mediocre games getting overpraised.
But that's automatically assuming that the sequel just MUST be mediocre. Which directly runs in contradiction to the majority of impressions from people who actually had hands on time with it. Which by my knowledge, is what is the deciding factor for whether something is eligible for these awards compared to just watching videos.

If the game had a demonstration by gameplay for the media it should've been included regardless of whether it was playable or not. At least Mario and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus are still there.
There are a dozen award things for that....

my biggest surprise was The Crew 2
that games seems like something I always wanted. Only missing helicopters to be perfect

Rabbids deserves the noms

Really? Skull & Bones is the one that gives you pause? Not the Mario and Dollar Store Minions crossover? Or the fucking Dragon Ball game?

I mean this is obvious bait, but I would be more questioning of Detroit, given David Cage's whole "everything that has to do with David Cage" thing.

Top Bottom