• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017 Nominees Revealed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
2017 Nominee Fast Facts

Games With Multiple Nominations

Four Nominations:
Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Three Nominations:
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Destiny 2
Super Mario Odyssey

Two Nominations:
Call of Duty: WWII
Detroit: Become Human
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Hidden Agenda
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlords
Sea of Thieves
Skull & Bones
Star Wars Battlefront II
Total War: Warhammer II

Publisher Breakdown
Ubisoft - 14 Nominations (+11 from 2016)
Sony Interactive Entertainment - 7 Nominations (-2 from 2016)
Bethesda - 6 Nominations (+2 from 2016)
WBIE - 5 Nominations (+1 from 2016)
Nintendo - 5 Nominatinos (+2 from 2016)
Activision - 5 Nominations (+3 from 2016)
EA - 5 Nominations (-5 from 2016)
Bandai Namco - 4 Nominations (+4 from 2016)
Microsoft - 4 Nominations (-3 from 2016)
Annapurna Interactive - 3 Nominations (New)
TaleWorlds Entertainment - 2 Nominations (New)
Sega - 2 Nominations (Same as 2016)
505 Games - 2 Nominations (Same as 2016)

Nominee Breakdown by Platform
(Multiplatform games are counted in all appropriate platform tallies. Information based on announced platforms for each game/product as of 6/26/17, hardware nominees excluded.)

PC: 49 Nominations (-1 from 2016)
PS4: 49 Nominations (+2 from 2016)
Xbox One: 44 Nominations (+1 from 2016)
Nintendo Switch: 17 Nominations (New)

Four Nominations:
Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom

What a time to be alive.

silva1991

Being nominated for Best of Show, among others, I'd say yes.

Yeah. At Ubisoft and nintendo booth.

Cool. Wish Sony did the same with their biggest games.

giphy.gif

RqOHTef.gif

This game looks incredible. Last time I bought 2D DBZ game was on the PS2 before the 3D ones came out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm not sure this needs to be emphasized but there is a massive difference between the five minute edited down demos that pubs make for the conferences and the hands on demo stations they make that people write impressions articles/videos about. They were still a lot of playable games at e3 this year.

Pinky

Banned
Mario + Rabbids really went from being a "WTF is this" title to a major head-turner. Glad to see so much positivity and hype for this game.

jett

D-Member
Surprised by all the Assassin's Creed love. The rest is fine I guess..

Shows what a boring show it was this year.

Shadow of Mordor 2 being nominated for best of show says it all. I imagine Mario will rightfully sweep.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
The handheld nominees are BS. Why is Odyssey not there too?
Is this panel of people now defining a console and it's role?

Yeah, no Switch games in the handheld section gave me some pause. I'm assuming they didn't consider it to be part of that category.

Also DBFZ is taking the fighting game award easily

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah, no Switch games in the handheld section gave me some pause. I'm assuming they didn't consider it to be part of that category.

Also DBFZ is taking the fighting game award easily

Nintendo officially calls the Switch a home console. So no matter what we say, it will be classified as such.

The handheld nominees are BS. Why is Odyssey not there too?
Is this panel of people now defining a console and it's role?

one would assume that you'd have to submit your games for the proper categories yourself and nintendo is not gonna call the switch a handheld anytime soon.

Nintendo officially calls the Switch a home console. So no matter what we say, it will be classified as such.

I'm guessing after 3DS support dries up the handheld category will just be relegated to mobile, and everything else will be treated like a console.

Not sure why Hidden Agenda is under the Mobile/Handheld category. I get that's it's controlled by your a smartphone/s but you still need a PS4 to play it

Taker666

Shadow of Mordor 2 being nominated for best of show says it all. I imagine Mario will rightfully sweep.

Maybe not, depends on how the voting works.

If it's just the game with the most votes that wins (as opposed to giving points for each game on a sliding scale)..then you could well see something like Shadow of Mordor 2 winning (as Mario Odyssey and Mario+Rabbids might split votes).

sinonobu

Banned

If it's just the game with the most votes that wins (as opposed to giving points for each game on a sliding scale)..then you could well see something like Shadow of Mordor 2 winning (as Mario Odyssey and Mario+Rabbids might split votes).

Even if there's some split of votes, mario odyssey will still win easily.

jett

D-Member
looks so damn good. Can't wait for this game.

I just wish the animations weren't 24fps. It's just too choppy for me. Maybe if they added motion blur (ONLY in the cutscenes) that would make it better?

They're disabling animation interpolation on purpose. Nothing's stopping this game from looking as smooth as a regular game. They just don't want it to.

Well that would be funny to say the least.

kewlmyc

Going to be lots of personal opinions in this thread lol.

Shame Spiderman, Uncharted and Cuphead didn't meet the criteria. I think they would have shaken up the nominees.

I am pulling for Odyssey as GotS.

Would be kinda bs for a game that's not even playable to win awards in a category with other playable games. It'd be like a trailer winning Sundance awards against actual movies.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's pretty dumb that they're limiting awards only to games that were playable. They should change the criteria to games that actually showed game play footage over just a title or cg. Anthem should easily be on the list. We were shown a lot of game-play footage. Otherwise, I hope Odyssey wins it. Looked great.

phanphare

Banned
I know Mario Odyssey will probably win Game of Show but I hope Mario Rabbids somehow steals it

in terms of pre-E3 expectations vs. what was shown that game knocked it out of the damn park

blakep267

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's pretty dumb that they're limiting awards only to games that were playable. They should change the criteria to games that actually showed game play footage over just a title or cg. Anthem should easily be on the list. We were shown a lot of game-play footage. Otherwise, I hope Odyssey wins it. Looked great.
If you can't play a game, why would you judge it as "fun". This isn't the most exciting game trailer awards. You can script a pretty fantastic trailer but have a completely unplayable game otherwise

Sephzilla

looks so damn good. Can't wait for this game.

I just wish the animations weren't 24fps. It's just too choppy for me. Maybe if they added motion blur (ONLY in the cutscenes) that would make it better?

I'm pretty sure the animations are in 24fps to make it mirror the anime a little more?

BY2K

Membero Americo
No Spiderman in that list means it's a fail list lol.

So you went through the list and noticed that Spider-Man wasn't there, yet you missed the warning in red and the following quote saying that Spider-Man was not eligible because it wasn't playable by the voting publications.

How does that work, exactly?

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
yeah this is weird, I played multiple times in other thrade shows too. Maybe they didnt have a session for the jury?

Yep it was playable in past years - I remember Kanye playing it out in the public at Xbox booth. All they had this year was the trailer in the Xbox conference, think they are focused on finishing it up.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley

It's always been a requirement that voting publications can play a game for a short amount of time to prove it's real and not a scripted demo. A few years ago we added the 5 minute requirement so a game could really be tested.

FelipeMGM

Yep it was playable in past years - I remember Kanye playing it out in the public at Xbox booth. All they had this year was the trailer in the Xbox conference, think they are focused on finishing it up.

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification Geoff!

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
It's shocking to me that The Evil Within 2 was not playable. Isn't that game coming out this year?

Correct it wasn't playable and yes, due in Oct. I'm not sure what went into that decision - probably lots of factors. Even Uncharted: Lost Legacy wasn't playable and that ships in August!

FelipeMGM

Correct it wasn't playable and yes, due in Oct. I'm not sure what went into that decision - probably lots of factors. Even Uncharted: Lost Legacy wasn't playable and that ships in August!

My guess is that they are so focused on trying to finish the game for this year that they couldnt afford the time to build up a proper demo and just putting the build they have right now wasnt an option either

Dantrist

My choices in categories I care about. Since I haven't played them of course it's really just about which one looked best to me (except in the case of Gran Turismo... that game seems to have issues but its style just fits me more than the other racing games)

Best of Show
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo)

Best Original Game
- Dragon Ball FighterZ (Arc System Works/Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Best Console Game

Best PC Game
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Machine Games/Bethesda)

Best Mobile/Handheld
- Metroid: Samus Returns (MercurySteam/Nintendo)

Best Action Game
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Machine Games/Bethesda)

Best Action/Adventure Game

Best RPG
- Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (Level 5/Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Best Fighting Game
- Dragon Ball FighterZ (Arc System Works/Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Best Racing Game
- Gran Turismo Sport (Polyphony Digital/Sony Interactive Ent)

I was about to post this exact list :p

StarPhlox

Looking over this it seems like E3 was actually better than a lot of people are going to remember it. I'm really excited about Mario + Rabbids and Mario Odyssey but still skeptical of Assassin's Creed: Origins.

Chobel

Surprised at the amount of nominations Shadow of War got. I wasn't even expecting it to show up in the list of nominations at all.

Top Bottom