• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017 Nominees Revealed.

Par Score

Boy, those lists just go to show what a garbo E3 this was.

Every category runs middling-to-trash, with the odd sprinkling of greatness.

ookami

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's pretty dumb that they're limiting awards only to games that were playable. They should change the criteria to games that actually showed game play footage over just a title or cg. Anthem should easily be on the list. We were shown a lot of game-play footage. Otherwise, I hope Odyssey wins it. Looked great.

Yeah sure. So that we get awards winning games with broken gameplay ?
I find it fair that they're targeting playable games. They can still make trailer awards nomination categories which would fit for your need.

mclem

Please note: To be eligible for nomination, games be available to voting publications for at least 5 minutes of hands-on time at E3. The following annnounced games were not made playable to Game Critics Awards voting publications at E3 and were therefore disqualified from award consideration:
Cuphead (Studio MDHR);

Did Cuphead really not bring a playable build to E3? That seems remarkable.

Edit: Just seen Geoff's comment. 'kay, then. Still seems odd to me, but fair enough!

mclem

The handheld nominees are BS. Why is Odyssey not there too?
Is this panel of people now defining a console and it's role?

Were all the stations set up in console format? I guess that's a reason to say that you hadn't been able to play 'the handheld version'.

Shadow of War has the most nominations. What a world we live in.

Huber from EasyAllies is going to lose his shit. What he described from the demo he played was a complete clusterfuck. And what made it seem like he was telling the truth is that they had footage of the game rolling at the time he was giving his impressions and it matched what he was saying.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Best of Show

- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft Paris/Ubisoft Milan/Ubisoft)

Best Original Game

Best Console Game

Who the fuck saw this coming?

Wollan

Question: Is 5min playable a new requirement?
I know playable has been a requirement for a while (like: touch these buttons to see it be interactive) but 5mins?

A good thing. Too many premature announcements.

Anyone else surprised by the lack of Dragon Ball FighterZ love? Friend who went to E3 who's not even a fighting game fan said it was easily his best of show. Media seems to feel very differently.

Zedark

Were all the stations set up in console format? I guess that's a reason to say that you hadn't been able to play 'the handheld version'.
Actually, I heard that there were in fact handheld SMO stations, but no one went there for some idd reason, since apparently there was hardly a line for those when there were hours long lines for the docked SMO.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Question: Is 5min playable a new requirement?
I know playable has been a requirement for a while but 5mins?

A good thing. Too many premature announcements.

We've had the 5 minute rule for 2 or 3 years. For a decade+ before that, judges needed to be able to go "hands on," but we didn't specify a length of time. In extreme cases this led to a developer literally handing the controller to a judge for 5 seconds to "prove" the game was real.

I don't think anyone times out the five minutes. Really it just means the jury needs a chance to play the actual game and its systems.

The Hermit

giphy.gif

RqOHTef.gif

My friend who loves DBZ is going fucking nuts.

I think I would react the same if it was Saint Seiya.

Personally though Assassin's Creed looked pretty bad, so surprised to see that get nominated. Good to see Odyssey and Mario+Rabbids, those looked great.

DrArchon

Best Action Game Nominees
-FPS
-FPS
-FPS
-FPS
-FPS

Jesus, why not just call the category "Best First Person Shooter Nominees"?

timberger

Oh dear... that Mordor game looks every bit as boring as the first one, but it's featuring prominently here. Then again, so is Assassin's Creed. Must have been slim pickings this year.

Also, that "original game" list is kind of lol-worthy.

Every single nomination is boring. Not saying I won't play some of those games but man it just goes to show how everything was so samey this e3.

KodaRuss

Mario is going to clean house on this. Wolfenstein should win best console game.

Really excited for those two plus Mario + Rabbits looks like its going to be a lot of fun.

UberTag

Huber from EasyAllies is going to lose his shit. What he described from the demo he played was a complete clusterfuck. And what made it seem like he was telling the truth is that they had footage of the game rolling at the time he was giving his impressions and it matched what he was saying.
Let's not get too worked up even if Shadow of War wins some of these. These awards lost all meaning the year Evolve landed a veritable clean sweep.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z should've been nominated for game of the show IMO
Stick a well known IP on the Guilty Gear engine and everyone goes apeshit.
Makes me even more upset people turned a blind eye to the Xrd releases but at least Arc System Works will get some recognition now.

Kind of strange they aren't counting switch as a handheld because it comes with a TV out dock in the box.
Nintendo doesn't seem to even want to count Switch as a handheld so they're pretty much respecting the maker's wishes on this one.

Kicko

I'm stunned Splatoon 2 wasn't nominated for best multiplayer game. I think it had a fantastic showing, beginning with the excellent invitational tournament on the first day of the show.

It would easily take my vote in that category.

Top Bottom