• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer August Cover Revealed: Dishonored (Arkane, Harvey Smith)

ooh shit just bought Dark messiah with steam sales and the hour i played it i enjoyed the fps combat stuff. Should give it more time but yeah just started learning C++ which i find way more interesting :p.

Keep this game on my radar.

ultron87

I don't really see how we've seen enough from this game to be either hyped or pessimistic about it.

All we have is a magazine cover and a glowing write up that was written entirely with the purpose of making you buy the magazine.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
User33 said:
So sad to see ignorant posts like this that look at the perspective and immediately dismiss it.

Look, you have stupid kids out there that will insist Deus Ex and Metroid Prime are first person shooters, well because its in first person and there are guns.

Also getting really sick of the term "dudebro" and would like to see it on the list of NeoGAF banned memes. Its to the point where I see someone use that term as valid criticism that I just assume that person is a fucking idiot. They probably are.

Herla

Skyrim announced -> OMG OMG this game will be awesome OMG game of the forever
New game by the makers of Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah announced -> meh another fps

I hate this world :(

Jarmel

Banned
truly101 said:
Also getting really sick of the term "dudebro" and would like to see it on the list of NeoGAF banned memes. Its to the point where I see someone use that term as valid criticism that I just assume that person is a fucking idiot. They probably are.

Yep, it's one of those words where are people are just throwing around without even knowing what the fuck it means any more.

Anyway good for Bethesda for trying to help sci-fi developers. I heartily approve of that.

derFeef

Majanew said:
lol, that's it? I'm not going to buy that game just because GI hyped it like they had something worthy to reveal. lol, blame GI, Bethesda. :p
Yeah, taht's it. And honestly it is more exciting then a lot of other reveals. Is it because people do not know what to expect from it? I am confused about the reactions but also glad that we are not stuck in this 2-year-sequel cycle for once.

And I am sorry, but making a buying descicions already that is based on artwork and first batch of infos is just silly.

Sloane

Banned
Harvey Smith? Sweet. Hadn't thought I'd be interested in this announcement.

Majanew said:
lol, that's it? I'm not going to buy that game just because GI hyped it like they had something worthy to reveal. lol, blame GI, Bethesda. :p
Satire, right?

Majanew

Banned
Sloane said:
Harvey Smith? Sweet. Hadn't thought I'd be interested in this announcement.

Satire, right?
lol, pretty much. Though I am a tad bummed because I was hoping for another game, but I'm interested to get the GI issue to read about the game. Hopefully, there's some screens. I love screens.

MMaRsu

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Another FPS? This generation is really starting to annoy me.

Wrong.

This seems great, Dark Messiah was awesome!!

.la1n said:
GameInformer hype fails again. Wake [me] up when someone announces a new IP that isn't a FPS.

Can I wake you up? It's not an FPS.

Interfectum

Majanew said:

*looks at BF3 avatar*

anna-screaming-o.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Some here know I'm PC gaming stupid and I won't even pretend to be otherwise. So in regards to Dark Messiah, I'm assuming its the PC game that was well received because the 360 Dark Messiah is considered to be pretty bad. Are they even the same game or is it a really shoddy port?

I got burned hard by bethesdas last new ip FPS, I won't let that happen again with this game. I'll keep an eye on this one however, the player choice and world sound great. First person perspective is disappointing though.

Derrick01

Banned
huuuuurrrrrrrrr duuuuuurrrrrr another fps.

This thread shows an extreme lack of respect for the talent behind this, and a lack of respect for the concept. Of course we have no idea how it'll turn out but it sounds amazing and we need more deus ex/hitman type games.

This is definitely a pleasant surprise.

Herla

truly101 said:
Some here know I'm PC gaming stupid and I won't even pretend to be otherwise. So in regards to Dark Messiah, I'm assuming its the PC game that was well received because the 360 Dark Messiah is considered to be pretty bad. Are they even the same game or is it a really shoddy port?

The console version of Dark Messiah is a baaaad port. If I recall correctly you can't even customize your character...

Dipswitch said:
Sounds interesting...oh wait, Harvey Smith is involved??

I formally retract my enthusiasm.

What is up with this thread? Why all the hate for good concepts and designers who've had a good pedigree in the past. Have I missed something here? Smith was connected to DX:IW, and Area 51 which weren't the greatest, but he also worked on System Shock and Deus Ex so I don't see were all this negativity comes from.

This game sounds great conceptually. I am excited to read more to get a sense of the game mechanics.

.la1n said:
GameInformer hype fails again. Wake [me] up when someone announces a new IP that isn't a FPS.

I'll ask this again - why does the position of the camera alone make the game not worth playing?

Sloane

Banned
Calavera520 said:
What is up with this thread? Why all the hate for good concepts and designers who've had a good pedigree in the past. Have I missed something here?
Seriously, it's almost like people don't want new IPs. Oh, wait...

FTH said:
Speaking of great covers, have you all seen the EGM cover with Bioshock Infinite. Wowza.

Hmm, somehow with even just this peek I'm more interested in Dishonored than I will ever be in Bioshock Infinite. Maybe I'm alone in this but I didn't care for BioShock. I wanted an actual successor to System Shock 1,2 not the pop-philosophy amusement park ride that Levine and crew delivered.

"You can open tears and press B to bring in Ammo, X to bring in cover, Y to bring in a turret!"

-___-

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Most people here didn't play System Shock and Deus Ex + they don't know Arkane, they don't know Antonov, they're are clueless and there's nothing wrong about that.

Wait till gameplay hits.

GJS

Rygar 8 Bit said:
STRIIIIIIDER!
I know people are saying strider due to the legs but it doesn't really look like a strider. It's a guy/cyborg/whatever on robotic stilts.

Dipswitch

Calavera520 said:
What is up with this thread? Why all the hate for good concepts and designers who've had a good pedigree in the past. Have I missed something here? Smith was connected to DX:IW, and Area 51 which weren't the greatest, but he also worked on System Shock and Deus Ex so I don't see were all this negativity comes from.

Ummmm, because he's a hack? Smith worked on Deus Ex and System Shock with Warren Spector and the folks from Looking Glass who deserve the lions share of the credit. So arguably he got a good name in the industry by riding their coat tails, even if this wasn't his intention.

He's then put in charge of Deus Ex 2 and produces one of the most maligned sequels to a beloved series in years. A product so disappointing that he even rags on it (I'll give him props for admitting he fucked up).

Afterwards, he goes on to work on Area 51, which was not only a bad game, but featured ham fisted political commentary that pleased no one. And then he whined that "No one got it". Which wasn't the case at all - everyone got it Harvey, they just thought it sucked.

So yeah, putting Harvey's name on the box isn't likely going to be a strong selling point these days.

Sloane

Banned
subversus said:
Most people here didn't play System Shock and Deus Ex + they don't know Arkane, they don't know Antonov, they're are clueless and there's nothing wrong about that.
Deus Ex was 2,50$ or whatever on Steam just a few days ago and every PC / laptop / netbook can run it, so I'd like to disagree with you on that, good Sir!

Calavera520 said:
I wanted an actual successor to System Shock 1,2 not the pop-philosophy amusement park ride that Levine and crew delivered.
Same here -- but I guess that's a topic for a different thread.

Kinyou

GJS said:
I know people are saying strider due to the legs but it doesn't really look like a strider. It's a guy/cyborg/whatever on robotic stilts.
Well the design is done by the same guy who did Half life 2 so some similarities aren't unlikely.

notworksafe

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was awesome so I'm onboard the hype train. The stealth stuff makes it sound sorta Thief-y too.

aeolist

Banned
I was always disappointed that The Crossing never made it

Good to see Arkane's got some backing that's letting them continue with high-concept stuff, I know they can make something awesome

Timber

stealth action/adventure could mean a number of things and the mag's hype-fueled description leaves room for many questions

but

if you're gonna come in here with a fps? meh! routine then you are a Stupid Man

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Now this is a legitimate surprise and a good one at that.

Finally, an actual sequel to Deus Ex.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Every video game future vision must feature robots on spindly legs. It's mandatory.

Top Bottom