• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Evolve (TurtleRock(L4D)/2K, PC/PS4/XB1, CryEn, 4v1 PvP) [Screenshot]

Dragoshi1

This could be really cool, sorta reminds me of a Steam game that's been out fir a bit, with players going up against a single player controlled monster.

However, that means that people will most probably fight over who gets to be the monster. Just like in L4D and Primal Carnage when teams are being decided at the start of a match.

Superflat

This idea of having one formidable bad guy is pretty awesome. Alien: Isolation, Evolve, Outrise. It's a really cool trend, if they get this concept right.

Evolve can be an awesome Predator-esque experience. I love playing 4-8 player "scenario" multiplayer games like L4D with my friends so this sounds perfect.

inkls

VRaFnMQ.gif

ANOTHER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER FOCUSING ON MULTIPLAYER PLEASE BE EXCITED.

Fuck this gens publishers. Fuck em all for never doing anything different or at least single player focused without a gun. Fuck folks for forgetting how great 3rd person hand to hand combat is in games.

Sick of all this shit. I never have anything to look forward to in games these days.

Count the amount of games with either 3rd person or 1st person gun combat released in a year. Was this shit needed? Do we really need more? Seriously, sick of this shit. Stop paying attention to these things. Remember the old Devil May Cry games? Remember when 3rd person had a sword? Remember when games weren't put together mainly for multiplayer shlock with a gun and they focused on rewarding and LASTING EXPERIENCES in single player?

Yeah I cant either anymore. They've been shoveling this shit with both hands for so long I cant even see around it anymore to any games that might be different. From now on if they tease a cover or ANYTHING it should come with warnings about FPS or gunplay focused combat being involved. Bored to fucking tears these days.

At least the multiplayer I do use in Fighting games has some fucking depth to it thats deeper than run and shoot or hiding and even those games I go on record daily as saying they need to put FAR more single player content into them like MK9 did (which wasn't even that good combat wise).

So how many fps or 3rd person multiplayer shooter games does this make for next gen? Please be excited.

Yeah, we get it, you don't like it...

Omega

Banned
Count the amount of games with either 3rd person or 1st person gun combat released in a year. Was this shit needed? Do we really need more? Seriously, sick of this shit. Stop paying attention to these things. Remember the old Devil May Cry games? Remember when 3rd person had a sword? Remember when games weren't put together mainly for multiplayer shlock with a gun and they focused on rewarding and LASTING EXPERIENCES in single player?

Yeah I cant either anymore. They've been shoveling this shit with both hands for so long I cant even see around it anymore to any games that might be different. From now on if they tease a cover or ANYTHING it should come with warnings about FPS or gunplay focused combat being involved. Bored to fucking tears these days.

At least the multiplayer I do use in Fighting games has some fucking depth to it thats deeper than run and shoot or hiding and even those games I go on record daily as saying they need to put FAR more single player content into them like MK9 did (which wasn't even that good combat wise).

1. What's the difference between a gun and a sword? You do the same objective, just with a different tool.
1a. Want a sword and a multiplayer game, there's Chivalry

2. Those games still exist. Stop just looking at the AAA front.

PS4 is the best thing to happen to gaming, and this is coming from a PC gamer. Maybe all you people crying how vidya gaems are just shooters will be able to see that there's more to video games than just AAA titles. Stop being such a snob and look at indies. This isn't 2008, indies aren't just platformers anymore so there's no excuse.

ultron87

So how many fps or 3rd person multiplayer shooter games does this make for next gen? Please be excited.

So the big ones are Destiny, Titanfall, and The Division. Now there is this as well.

One is like Borderlands, one is pure competitive, I'm not really sure what The Division actually is, and Evolve is a 4 v 1 co-op game. Those all sound like pretty different experiences. Unless Division is like one of them. But then that has a unique setting compared to the others.

Jaronin

Banned
I have never actually played any L4D but it seems to get good reviews from FPS fans. Ill have to take a look.

I wish the numbers were a little bit better. Maybe something like 4 monsters against 12 hunters but I digress. Turtle Rock, you got the juice now.

shandy706

l4d but aliens not zombies

I can't stand L4D...I hope it brings something more interesting to the table with Aliens.

Something about the zombies and the way L4D handled annoyed me when I would play it. Tried multiple times to get into it.

Edit**

I missed the line somehow "multiplayer shooter where four hunters face-off against a single, player-controlled monster."

I'm not sure if I'm interested or not. Playing as a massive alien in an "open world" like setting might be really cool.

deleted

I'm on board! Loved L4D and the principle of 4 vs 1 could open some amazing experiences - and if I have nobody to play with atm I can always wreck some teams as the alien.

shaowebb

1. What's the difference between a gun and a sword? You do the same objective, just with a different tool.
1a. Want a sword and a multiplayer game, there's Chivalry

2. Those games still exist. Stop just looking at the AAA front.

PS4 is the best thing to happen to gaming, and this is coming from a PC gamer. Maybe all you people crying how vidya gaems are just shooters will be able to see that there's more to video games than just AAA titles. Stop being such a snob and look at indies. This isn't 2008, indies aren't just platformers anymore so there's no excuse.

1. There is plenty of difference between combat that involves circle strafe or cover fire vs having to get in someones face, do split second side steps, MAKE READS TO THEIR ACTIONS, and not drop the combo so you dont get your face handed to you for getting so close to the enemy. Fighting up close and fighting far away are HUGE leaps in depth and gameplay changes. Dont even try to compare Godhand or Devil May Cry to FPS in terms of combat depth. The gap is staggering in depth.

2. Telling someone they are not allowed to have any AAA to look forward to is stupid. Remember God of War? AAA action with combos? Yeah shit defined the PS3 more than the dump bin of shooters and he became Iconic. Single player up close combat builds relationships between the player and their avatar. Multiplayer shooting doesnt. Focusing so hard in this industry on AAA genres that have a staggering oversaturation is BAD for the industry.

The word you are looking for is "stagnate" it sums up what this genre is doing for the industry at the rate its firing out into next gen and the amount it saturated last gen.

Bor

Neo Member
The more i think about this game, the more hyped up i get. C'mon now, i need some sort of gameplay trailer.

So the big ones are Destiny, Titanfall, and The Division. Now there is this as well.

One is like Borderlands, one is pure competitive, I'm not really sure what The Division actually is, and Evolve is a 4 v 1 co-op game. Those all sound like pretty different experiences. Unless Division is like one of them. But then that has a unique setting compared to the others.
Ehh, this is kindof stretching the term co-op, don't you think?

Its versus. 4 versus 1. Competitive multiplayer, but asymmetrical.

I've never seen team based shooters described as co-op games.

Also, is this 4 vs 1 just one mode of the game? Any hints on additional modes?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to complain about a supposed overabundance of FPSs, go start a new thread.

Multiplayer shooting doesnt. Focusing so hard in this industry on AAA genres that have a staggering oversaturation is BAD for the industry.

The word you are looking for is "stagnate" it sums up what this genre is doing for the industry at the rate its firing out into next gen and the amount it saturated last gen.

So how many Co-Op Competitive Shooters were on last gen?

I can only think of 3 Lfd1/2 NS2.
If you honestly think that all shooters play exactly the same and CoD = L4D you're delusional. The same can be said if you think the special infected in L4D1/2 had no depth. I can understand not liking something, but clearly there is a demand(even on Neogaf) as this thread has shown.

ultron87

Ehh, this is kindof stretching the term co-op, don't you think?

Its versus. 4 versus 1. Competitive multiplayer, but asymmetrical.

I've never seen team based shooters described as co-op games.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm probably dipping into my tabletop thinking where you'll sometimes see games described as "co-op" where most of the players are on a team but there is also an enemy player involved (who is sometimes hidden at the start).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kind of promising to have another co-op shooter from TurtleRock after the shit show that was L4D2.

Alienous

When am I not going to want to play as Godzilla?

Being a member of the squad is like being a wheel on the car in the Street Fighter bonus stage minigame.

Haters gonna hate. I'm excited. Think the concept sounds fun, I look forwarding to reading the GI article when my issue arrives.

So how many Co-Op Competitive Shooters were on last gen?
What makes this co-op competitive and not say, Battlefield? Or is Battlefield a co-op competitive game too? Killzone? Team Fortress?

Are all team versus games co-op competitive now? What exactly are we using as the differentiator here?

Left 4 Dead had both co-op and competitive versus as distinct modes. Just trying to be clear here really.

Sojgat

"Remember when 3rd person had a sword?" WTF are you talking about? Just last year I remember playing:

Anarchy Reigns
MGR
DmC
Arkham Origins
Injustice: Gods Among Us
DOA5U
Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Remember Me

I hear people also like Dragon's Dogma, W101, AC4: Black Flag, etc. I think some God of War game even came out... All contain combat not focused around shooting, all with significant single player campaigns.

There are plenty of new titles in all genres, but people happen to really like FPS and TPS games. Evolved even looks likes it's putting it's own unique spin on things.

Bor

Neo Member
What makes this co-op competitive and not say, Battlefield? Or is Battlefield a co-op competitive game too? Killzone? Team Fortress?

Are all team versus games co-op competitive now? What exactly are we using as the differentiator here?

Left 4 Dead had both co-op and competitive versus as distinct modes. Just trying to be clear here really.

I guess you should ask how many asymmetrical competitive fps games there were last gen. I cant think of many

Alxjn

The game features a separate solo experience according to the article. Turtle Rock is leaving those details for another time though.

Monster Foot Race with guns is my official classification.

Edit: Honestly this "asymmetrical competitive fps games" is the best I could give it.

Quentyn

The game features a separate solo experience according to the article. Turtle Rock is leaving those details for another time though.

Cool, someone should probably put that in the OP. Is there anything about the number of modes or the number of players in the article? Is it always 4v1?

I guess you should ask how many asymmetrical competitive fps games there were last gen. I cant think of many
Me neither. But asymmetrical competitive fps seems an apt description.

Nice. Will keep an eye on this.

I have no interest in the 4v1, but I had so much fun with Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 both solo and co-op that they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Alxjn

Cool, someone should probably put that in the OP. Is there anything about the number of modes or the number of players in the article? Is it always 4v1?

They only talk about the 'main hunt mode'.

- 4 classes. Medic, Assault, Support, Trapper.
- Each class has multiple characters to choose from.
- Multiple monsters to choose from as well, each with their own unique abilities, but they only talk about Goliath.
- 3rd person when playing as the monster.
- Goliath's abilities: Breathing Fire, Leap Attack, Charge Attack, Rock Throw. Also some stealth abilities if you want to stalk the hunters. You start out with two abilities of your choosing, and as you evolve you unlock more.
- Levels feature 'wildlife simulation', including carnivorous plants. Goliath evolves by hunting the wildlife. Hunters get special temporary bonuses for killing 'elite wildlife', faster health regen, extra damage, etc.

Shtof

This sounds perfect for me. I love MP games, but I am usually a poor team player. With this I can hopefully only play monster.

Quentyn

- Multiple monsters to choose from as well, each with their own unique abilities, but they only talk about Goliath.
- Goliath's abilities: Breathing Fire, Leap Attack, Charge Attack, Rock Throw. Also some stealth abilities if you want to stalk the hunters. You start out with two abilities of your choosing, and as you evolve you unlock more.
- Levels feature 'wildlife simulation', including carnivorous plants. Goliath evolves by hunting the wildlife. Hunters get special temporary bonuses for killing 'elite wildlife', faster health regen, extra damage, etc.

That sounds great. Thanks for the summary.

ultron87

This part sounds really cool. Should lead to a nice push and pull over important resources.

Alxjn

Little bit more:

- You don't need a full squad to play. AI fills in the empty spots. This goes for the monster too.
- Players can revive each other like in Left 4 Dead. Three-Strikes rule applies here as well.
- All the Hunters have jetpacks.
- Team Monster can win multiple ways. Either kill all 4 Hunters at the same time or complete an objective. The objective example they give is take down a shield
generator at a mining facility. Sounds like it's guarded by AI. Each level has it's own unique objective.

jcracken

Banned

Dishonored.

Sdoots

A lot of games have combat in either a 3rd person or 1st person style, and feature guns. That's been a trend since the mid 90s. You aren't blowing anyones mind here.

Do we need any more? You may be tired of them, but clearly others aren't, so it would seem we do. I'll pay attention to what interests me, and right now, Evolve, titties, and motorcycles interest me.

I do remember the old Devil May Cry games. They were awesome. They also had third person gun combat. Not disregarding the melee being the focus, but I just think it's worth pointing out that there was an entire playstyle in the third game dedicated to firearms.

I love fighting games, but at this point you're just making yourself sound like an elitist. I'm pretty sure one guy brought up your love of them out of the many people in this thread, and yet you still went off on a tangent about how they are clearly superior to these by the numbers shooters. We get it, you don't like shooters.

Also, MK9 was baller as hell.

derFeef

Any mention of smaller monsters or wildlife attacking the players? Otherwise I can't imagine a down but now out mechanic and medic and whatnot.

I loved Left 4 Dead and still play it on occasions, and I really like the idea behind this. Don't care if it's a shooter, as long as it's different and fun, sign me up. Bring on the footage.

The Lamp

This is not HL3. I am not flipping out over this. Fuck you GI for lying.

Screw HL3. L4D is more fun.

This is fucking awesome. I'm hyped as hell.

Top Bottom