• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
kitzkozan said:
You aren't making any sense by using the word masterpiece. :] I understand that you strongly connected with the first game more because of how it was presented and what it tried to pull off, but no. Masterpiece imply mastery and there's none of that in the game which I finished for the fifth time 2 weeks ago.

Having a ridiculous amount of random loot from containers or random battles relatively to a small backpack size is not an example of mastery in any shape or form. Overabundance of money with about nothing to spend on except the best weapon.Lot's of guns, but you only need to buy the best which are specter. Biotic giving you too much control over combat and I won't talk about the rest of the flaws which are more than well known.

You would never dare say that the first Star Trek movie is a masterpiece, even if it had plenty of great moment (awesome presentation of the enterprise + awesome musical piece + soundtrack, solid special effect for the time, etc) and sci-fi concept (with NASA and Asimov having an input as well). Of course, the pacing was absurdly slow given the running time or paperthin plot and the original version had an infamous sequence where they just stare at a long corridor inside the AI entity (one of the biggest WTF were they thinking moment I have seen in a movie along with the eternal road driving sequence in Manos: the hand of fate...). Mass effect is flawed as a game just as much as the Star trek motion picture and yet you call it a masterpiece?
Well, ultimatey this would boil down to a semantics argument about the word 'masterpiece'.

Let me briefly explain why I call it a masterpiece:

Never before has a videogame been able to create what feels to me like an epic and cinematic hard sci-fi space opera game.

This is due mainly to visual design reminiscent of the techno-optimist sci-fi aesthetic of the 1960-70s. And to the fantastic electronic music. Combine this with large levels on alien planets and some decent RPG and Shooter gameplay, and you have something of a dreamgame come true for me.

Masterpiece for me is not necessarily a 'perfect' game. Lots of things in Mass Effect could have been better but the sum was so much greater than the parts that for me this was a masterpiece.

HK-47 said:
Doesnt make much sense that she would leave the base. But she has a big fanbase for obvious, retarded reasons.

ME1, the comic then ME2 and Shadow Broker DLC...., I think the character got enough exposure and development to put her again as a squadmate character...

Lakitu

st5fu
A couple of little things I noticed from the Gamefaqs thread:

-The game will apparently be much bigger. Don't know what that means, but bigger is better isn't it?
-Exploration will be handled in a different way as opposed to ME 1 and ME 2.

Hopefully we get some more in-depth stuff soon.

Dennis

Banned
ColonelColon said:
Wow, really? I guess he doesn't necessarily look like he's pumped up with steroids, if that's what you mean.
Chris Redfield is the new standard of masculinity that all male videogame protagonists must be measured against.

Gravijah

DennisK4 said:
Well, ultimatey this would boil down to a semantics argument about the word 'masterpiece'.

Never before has a videogame been able to create what feels to me like an epic and cinematic hard sci-fi space opera game.

This is due mainly to visual design reminiscent of the techno-optimist sci-fi aesthetic of the 1960-70s. And to the fantastic electronic music. Combine this with large levels on alien planets and some decent RPG and Shooter gameplay, and you have something of a dreamgame come true for me.

Masterpiece for me is not necessarily a 'perfect' game. Lots of things in Mass Effect could have been better but the sum was so much greater than the parts that for me this was a masterpiece.

ME1 will always hold a special place in my heart. Especially this specific loading screen. Missing the amazing music with it, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Speedymanic said:
He can die in ME1 on Virmire. Space racist shoots him in the back.

And other return that doesn't make any sense, why not stay on the home planet and help co-ordinate some kind of counter attack.

No you shoot him on Virmire. Only a pussy wouldnt do the job personally.

I mean unless you really wanted to get shot in the face by Wrex.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Relaxed Muscle said:
ME1, the comic then ME2 and Shadow Broker DLC...., I think the character got enough exposure and development to put her again as a squadmate character...

Who was talking about exposure?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DennisK4 said:
Just as important is the return of the bigger and more open levels from the first game.

ME2 had small corridor levels. So boring. And they had ugly grimdark visual design as well.

The first game had luscious green and watery alien worlds.

That were still corridors.

Wiggum2007

From the gamefaqs poster regarding whether there is a new Normandy:
No. The Earth military was taking it apart and examining it apparently, but we get the same Normandy from ME2, though new rooms and sections have been added on.

Seems like a good compromise between not having to throw in a convenient plot device to get yet another Normandy, yet still allowing them to make some modifications to the ship.

APZonerunner said:
This image is the best. However, it made me search for more funny ME related art, and, I gotta say... there's some really disturbing artwork of Garrus out there. Jeez.
This has always been one of my favorites. Not of garrus, but just in general.

Wiggum2007 said:
From the gamefaqs poster regarding whether there is a new Normandy:

Seems like a good compromise between not having to throw in a convenient plot device to get yet another Normandy, yet still allowing them to make some modifications to the ship.
Awesome! I was beginning to get concerned that they would swiftly destroy #2 at the start so we could get a shiny new one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EatChildren said:
I swear there's still a bit of revisionist history going on. People seem to act like Mass Effect's worlds were perfect, and everywhere you visit in Mass Effect 2 was shit. Subjectivity and all, but in terms of location and art variety ME2 takes a giant steaming shit all over ME1. The mood sure changed, not necessarily for the better, but there are absolutely more places to visit, more things to see, and a greater variety in world arts.

No one ever says that. They just wish the uncharted world thing had been improved instead of nixed. And all the worlds lack compared to the pacing and progression of Noveria or Virmire.

ColonelColon said:
Wow, really? I guess he doesn't necessarily look like he's pumped up with steroids, if that's what you mean.

He doesn't need to be, he's basically a cyborg/reanimated corpse, with muscle weaves, skin weaves and neural implants all over.

This does sound promising, yet I find it hard to trust Bioware after they butchered DA2. Hopefully the levels will be opened up more, although it’s more likely they’ll make them even more linear, sigh...
Let me guess, you land the Normandy on Earth and it will basically just be one straight line.

Red

MalboroRed said:
He doesn't need to be, he's basically a cyborg/reanimated corpse, with muscle weaves, skin weaves and neural implants all over.
I guess it's questionable just how human Shepherd is at this point.

HK-47 said:
Who was talking about exposure?

Sorry, somehow my reply ended being some random thought....

Typographenia said:
Awesome! I was beginning to get concerned that they would swiftly destroy #2 at the start so we could get a shiny new one.

Was there really a need?, it would have been a problem if you could totally destroy the ship in ME2, but that's not the case..

Also, since *probably* EDI is coming back, doing some retcon or stupid explanation to how she was attached to another ship it would be harder than actually going the "same ship, new rooms" solution...

Edit:Also I hope you can change your male/fem-shep and put him/her long hair....,if Ashley got it my Shepard should too..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way

and that, is likely, the extent of ME 3's storyline - continuing ME2's trend :(

i liked 2 though, so still excited even if the story is almost sure to disappoint again.

nubbe

The world in ME2 is more living and the gun play is better for sure.

But ME2 don't have shit on ME1 when it comes to the entertainment experience.

hermit7

op_ivy said:
and that, is likely, the extent of ME 3's storyline - continuing ME2's trend :(

i liked 2 though, so still excited even if the story is almost sure to disappoint again.

Well honestly that is how ME1 was in terms of story. It may have been more fleshed out, but it was that way none the less.

And KOTOR, and DA:O etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
webrunner said:
Well she's a woman, what do you expect?

omg guys stop talking about female shepard, you are ruining male shepard for me!!! every topic

/male shepard players.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Was there really a need?, it would have been a problem if you could totally destroy the ship in ME2, but that's not the case..
There wasn't, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they had. If they were bringing back old squadmates from 1 and having to figure out what to do with the ones from 2 I assumed they might do another redesign to better work with everyone.
Or whatever other bizarre reasons they might have come up with.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hermit7 said:
Well honestly that is how ME1 was in terms of story. It may have been more fleshed out, but it was that way none the less.

i guess it was when boiled down to its core, but it was certainly not as blatant (and dull) as ME 2. the story seemed to have more legitimate twists and never *felt* like a fetch quest for teammates to build up to a final battle - unlike ME2

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
hermit7 said:

In ME1 you got everyone on the Citadel save Liara and that was that. One would think you wouldnt have to recruit people for a massive invasion by space monsters. They would be lining up.

Patryn

Relaxed Muscle said:
Sorry, somehow my reply ended being some random thought....

Also, since *probably* EDI is coming back, doing some retcon or stupid explanation to how she was attached to another ship it would be harder than actually going the "same ship, new rooms" solution...

Edit:Also I hope you can change your male/fem-shep and put him/her long hair....,if Ashley got it my Shepard should too..

No probably. Tricia Helfer and EDI are confirmed to be coming back.

hermit7

op_ivy said:
i guess it was when boiled down to its core, but it was certainly not as blatant (and dull) as ME 2. the story seemed to have more legitimate twists and never *felt* like a fetch quest for teammates to build up to a final battle - unlike ME2

Well there were more story missions that didn't automatically lead to the right conclusions. And you felt that they were building up to something.

ME2 had you go on 20 different missions to recruit a crew and then you had "story" missions that were bland as hell. There was no twists, no surprises that lead you into new situations.

If they can iron out the story and keep the gameplay mechanics which admittedly were far superior in 2 than 1 it would be a hell of a lot better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Patryn said:
No probably. Tricia Helfer and EDI are confirmed to be coming back.

Hmm.

I wonder if she can join my lesbian romp...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HK-47 said:
Go back the Bioware boards that spawn you, gotdamn slash ficcer.

Quiet robot!

EatChildren

Do we have any full scans yet? Or still those original photos?

EatChildren said:
Hmm.

I wonder if she can join my lesbian romp...

Shepard : "Hey EDI, you like it in the ass"

EDI: "Yeah, Shepard and yours will easily fit the trash compactor"

Shepard: "......"

EDI:"That was a joke.....actually I created a human doll using some strange technology that wasn't around six months ago, so I can actually have sex with you"

...I can see it, it could work.

EatChildren

Relaxed Muscle said:
Shepard : "Hey EDI, you like it in the ass"

EDI: "Yeah, Shepard and yours will easily fit the trash compactor"

Shepard: "......"

EDI:"That was a joke.....actually I created a human doll using some strange technology that wasn't around six months ago, so I can actually have sex with you"

...I can see it, it could work.

She could upload herself to Legion, then me, Liara and sex robot can visit Ashley and make her change her space racist ways through the power of interspecies girl love.

Also Tali can watch.

kitzkozan

DennisK4 said:

I expected that kind of response and it make sense. :]

I think the biggest reason as to why a lot of you ME fans think it's a modern masterpiece is because of the lack of competition within the genre. Most rpg are fantasy, very few have even tried to tackle on something else including sci-fi. Xenosaga and Star ocean certainly ain't the competition or proper standard of sci-fi rpg / adventure lawl. :p There's Star control II, but it's such an old game and few have played it (also different from ME as it's ship based gameplay and an adventure game but the feeling of exploration blow ME out of the water).

Angry Fork

Will be able to explore planets in ME3 and find stuff? Either with the Mako or something else whatever it may be. Yes or no.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SCII is also a comedy. Of course that doesnt stop the Orz from being terrifying

We will be having *parties* now or else we will *frumple*

Gravijah

Angry Fork said:
Will be able to explore planets in ME3 and find stuff? Either with the Mako or something else whatever it may be. Yes or no.

you will explore with your mind, son. use your imagination!

Patryn

Angry Fork said:

Don't know. All we know is that exploration will be different than it was in either ME1 or 2.

EatChildren said:
Do we have any full scans yet? Or still those original photos?
There's one where you can see Kaidan (in fancy new armor) and Liara (who looks pretty much the same as in LotSB). Shepard also seems to be holding the Mattock Heavy Rifle from the Firepower DLC.

Gravijah

Fimbulvetr said:
So the "upgrade" was to the world's biggest jawline or the clingy reptilian jailbait?

Thank god I waited for Ashley.

i will support your anti-miranda crusade if you take back what you said about tali

Angry Fork said:

Bioware never does exploration right and I don't expect them to get it right with 3. We need more western rpgs set in space though, maybe someone who knows how to make exploration fun like Bethesda.

Maybe they'll make it more like 1 but even that wasn't handled right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom