• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer October cover story revealed: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Kard8p3

Instro said:
Last thing I remember hearing about the game world was that they were trying to design something that was more dense(more things to do, more people, integrating dungeons, etc) rather than increasing the size over TP.

Yeah I remember reading that but for some reason I seem to remember them recently saying it would be the biggest Zelda game.

BY2K said:
Why, what he do?
He changed Kard8p3's name to BurntPork in the quote because someone a while ago attacked/criticized him mistaking him for BurntPork. BurntPork and Kard8p3 have similar looking Ghirahim avatars, it was pretty funny.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sigh.

Guys, the artwork in general is fine, it's just that those two particular ones feel kind of off for some reason. Some of the previous artwork that was posted around E3 was much better looking.

Lo_Fi

Wow, that definitely looks like a photoshop filter was thrown on it. I said the same thing about the art that they had at PAX.

Also, who is that stupid looking guy on the back? He looks terrible.

ASIS

KefkaTaran said:
Since we're doing 25th anniversary retrospective stuff in addition to Skyward Sword content, we actually have more articles than normal for our online stuff. There will be a new article at least once every other weekday, but quite a bit of stuff will be posted with just a day inbetween.

The full list of planned online content can be found at our hub if you're interested. Subject to change, etc., but this should pretty solidly reflect what will be put out.
huh? what is that ?????? at the bottom? Is it a surprise or what exactly?

Shiggy

Lo_Fi said:
Wow, that definitely looks like a photoshop filter was thrown on it. I said the same thing about the art that they had at PAX.

ghira13u8f.jpg

Lord Ghirahim

ghira2buit.jpg

The cover consists only of E3 artworks ;)

Nintendo-4Life said:
huh? what is that ?????? at the bottom? Is it a surprise or what exactly?

Yeah, a surprise, but as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread it's restrospective-related, not Skyward Sword.

Kard8p3

Lo_Fi said:

That's Demon Lord Ghirahim and he's fabulous.

gdt

Signed up for another year of GI because of this issue. Also went against my policy of never supporting GS and put money down on the collector's edition. I always use Amazon, but this game comes out on a Sunday.

When should I expect this issue at my house? I asked the guy if there was a waiting period before I started getting issues delivered, he said no....

gdt5016 said:
Signed up for another year of GI because of this issue. Also went against my policy of never supporting GS and put money down on the collector's edition. I always use Amazon, but this game comes out on a Sunday.

When should I expect this issue at my house? I asked the guy if there was a waiting period before I started getting issues delivered, he said no....

Appreciate the sub, for what it's worth. :) If there really is no waiting period, the issue should show up any time in the next two weeks or so. Kind of a long period, but since we have so many subscribers, we ship from a lot of different facilities, so it depends which one is sending to you, how close they are, etc.

BY2K

Membero Americo
siren_circle-thumb-650x1004-12364.png

People are looking WAAAAAAAAAY to hard into this, God damn.

I mean, it's not Valve we're talking about here.

solarus

Dat cover 0_0 I wish UK magazines had covers of that quality, EDGE used to until the new redesign and now it's more cluttered :/

sublimit

Banned
Can't wait to read how incredible the game will be and how this will be the BEST Zelda EVER!!!

Seriously,this magazine's only reason of existence is to kiss the asses of all (usually western) major publishers and help promote their games in return of some "free bones" of exclusivity...It's a quite sad practise when you think about it.

WillyFive

sublimit said:
Seriously,this magazine's only reason of existence is to kiss the asses of all (usually western) major publishers and help promote their games in return of some "free bones" of exclusivity...It's a quite sad practise when you think about it.

It's ironic. I went from Nintendo Power to subscribe to Game Informer (because I thought it wasn't going to be good after Nintendo no longer published it), and I ended up not renewing my subscription, because almost everything about felt like it was an ad. Game Informer felt more like an ad than Nintendo Power did, which is, in fact, an ad.

I miss having Nintendo Power, but I'm done with magazines.

BY2K said:

No, it's Zelda.

BY2K said:

I mean, it's not Valve we're talking about here.[/QUOTE]

People always try to find some dumb complicated theories when the series isn't all that complex at all...

Chittagong

Gold Member
BY2K said:

It's Nintendo.

They made stars secretly spell U R MR GAY in a Mario game cover.

And the sequel's cover had a hidden message YA I M, R U?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Stumpokapow said:
Last Japanese published game on the cover: January 2011, Tomb Raider (Square Enix) Image

Last Japanese developed game on the cover: February 2007, Blue Dragon (MS) Image

Last Japanese developed Japanese published game on the cover: October 2006, Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) Image

Last Nintendo game on the cover: July 2004, Metroid Prime 2 Image

Last Japanese Nintendo game on the cover: November 2001, Luigi's Mansion / Gamecube launch lineup Image

Also, there have been only two Wii exclusive games on the cover. Red Steel and Epic Mickey.

And is there a way we can put this into context? When was the last time there was a Western-developed game on the cover of Famitsu?

sublimit

Banned
Willy105 said:
It's ironic. I went from Nintendo Power to subscribe to Game Informer (because I thought it wasn't going to be good after Nintendo no longer published it), and I ended up not renewing my subscription, because almost everything about felt like it was an ad. Game Informer felt more like an ad than Nintendo Power did, which is, in fact, an ad.

Lol indeed.And what's worse than their articles are their interviews where the interviewer always asks the most vanilla questions a developer would want to hear.
It's no surprise that one of their staff,after she did a couple of interviews and articles about Crystal dynamic's Tomb raider,she later on was hired by the studio as a PR person.

But you know people always get what they deserve.Until they wake up and throw these trash of "information" away,we'll continue having this kind of "journalism" forever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dave Long said:
Wow. You know, I used to often say here and at another board how Nintendo was getting systematically pushed aside by the US press. I didn't realize how bad it really was.

I don't think this is because GameInformer is necessarily pushing Nintendo aside.

Having a cover on GameInformer is a powerful piece of advertising for game developers. GameInformer is not just the most widely circulated video game magazine in the US, it's also one of the mostly widely circulated magazines period. Literally millions of these things are printed every single month.

For the last five years or so, the cover of GameInformer has been all about exclusive game announcements by Western developers. Publishers pretty much have to drop their pants and beg to get on the cover. And it's important for GI to get these exclusive announcements, because those exclusive announcements are the only thing that keeps this magazine above just being a bonus for buying GameStop's card.

Now Nintendo, for those same past five years, has been very controlled about when and how they announce their games. They want to announce stuff on their own terms. They want to showcase games on their terms. I don't think GameInformer has been a part of their strategy.

I don't know the specifics of their agreement with GameInformer, but I think I've got a pretty good idea why they're doing this. Since it's been announced, everybody's been talking about Skyward Sword in terms like "This is a new Zelda game and it's going to be great. Plus it has Motion Plus support". There's not as much talk about why people are excited for this Zelda game, it's more talk about how this game is simply going to follow in the legacy of the series.

I think it's a good bet that Nintendo wants people to be excited for "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword", not "That New Zelda Game That Is Coming Out". Perhaps they see the cover of GameInformer to be the right channel to change those attitudes.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sennorin said:
Anyone know how long Game Informer takes for these features to be publicized?

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/zelda.aspx

Obviously not during week-ends. Otherwise, KefkaTaran (who works for Game Informer) said there will be at least one new article every week-day. (But it won't be all about Skyward Sword, but some about the Zelda series as a whole, from what I understand.)

Kazerei

Banned
BY2K said:
http://www.zeldainformer.com/assets_c/2011/09/siren_circle-thumb-650x1004-12364.png

Hehe, I love reading Zelda theories. They can make pretty big stories out of the smallest details.

Kard8p3

jett said:
30-second ad for a 50-second video, fuck yeah.

edit: please tell me the game's overworld isn't going to be the skies

I thought it was already known that this was the case.

Anyway I was liking the bird riding music there even if we only heard a few seconds. I was glad to see there was no fade to black before falling to the surface.

Kard8p3

MasterShotgun said:
Oh man, I'm gonna love falling from the sky. That view of the sky behind Link right before he landed was fucking beautiful. Same for the animation. It's possibly some of the best I have ever seen.

I take it
Eldin Volcano = Death Mountain

Was death mountain in the eldin province in Twilight Princess?

Top Bottom