• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

dukeoflegs

If the game is 4 hours but has a good amount of Outer and Extra Op missions like Peace Walker I would be happy to pay $40/$30. I have almost 200 hours in Peace Walker if I got a quarter of that much time in GZ, I wouldn't complain.

Gartooth

Will GZ be included with Phantom Pain on its release? If so then I'll just play them together, I'm willing to wait.

Guys I just got back from 1990, I can't believe I spent $40 on Mega Man 3 when I can beat it in just over an hour.

Barring the whole "charging money for a demo" thing, which is admittedly shady, when the hell did # of hours to completion become the metric by which we judge a game's value?

I just hope Phantom Pain comes out later this year instead of getting pushed into 2015.

boeso

Are they going to release a demo?

We had four hours of exclusive hands-on time with Ground Zeroes, which we used to play through the main mission and experiment with extra modes.

Or not. That's a shambles if true, a shame and a shambles.

Do you have a link that expands on this? Based on what you said exclusive/more content could mean the weird per-order missions for either console.

Nope. There are platform-exclusive preorder missions AND format-based exclusives (physical will have them, nothing extra for the digital.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732382

gHh3r7K.png

Zomba13

Will GZ be included with Phantom Pain on its release? If so then I'll just play them together, I'm willing to wait.

I still want clarification on this.

If it is included then yeah, this release of GZ is a demo and it's stupid to have to buy it. If it isn't included and Phantom Pain starts where GZ ends then GZ is just a short game set in the same world with the same engine, an Episode 1, a Case 0 or something.

Chun-Li

Ha, yeah that was a huge disappointment. They were all just little clips and nothing at all substantial. So stupid.

little clips? It had all the cutscenes in the game (no sound but fully movable camera), character models (used and unused), environment models, the soundtrack, the script for the game, all the trailers made, a few VR missions and other tidbits.

It was basically a behind the scenes type thing. Very awesome item for a fan to have.

Batzi

Banned

Or not. That's a shambles if true, a shame and a shambles.

4h? Still more than I get out of a typical COD campaign and it's cheaper. Might buy

they said they played 4 hours through the main mission. They DID NOT say they completed it and that it was 4 hours long. If they did indeed finish the game then you should be expecting a review very soon which is highly unlikely.

AHA-Lambda

Exactly. It's okay for people to want to wait for a price they feel justifies the amount of content but to call it a demo is just plain wrong.

It's a prologue to a bigger game how is it not? Is GT5 Prologue not a demo now?

they said they played 4 hours through the main mission. They DID NOT say they completed it and that it was 4 hours long. If they did indeed finish the game then you should be expecting a review very soon which is highly unlikely.

Played "through" implies completion and even if they did embargoes restrict review until release so that point is moot.

TITLE "Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission within 4 hours"

We had four hours of exclusive hands-on time with Ground Zeroes, which we used to play through the main mission and experiment with extra modes.

eCysq.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Guys I just got back from 1990, I can't believe I spent $40 on Mega Man 3 when I can beat it in just over an hour.

Barring the whole "charging money for a demo" thing, which is admittedly shady, when the hell did # of hours to completion become the metric by which we judge a game's value?

I just hope Phantom Pain comes out later this year instead of getting pushed into 2015.

I don't get this mentality either. There are bad games that last 10+ hours, the amount of time it takes to beat something isn't the ultimate gauge of value. It can be part of the value process, sure.

FoneBone

If this sells well, I expect "prologue" releases like this to be come increasingly common over the next few years. We've already got Squenix talking openly about trying to monetize games before they finish development.

Xav

Unless I can get Konami to provide a review copy for me, I certainly won't be playing this until it hits PlayStation Plus or something.

Erban1

Their use of the word "through" is a pretty dead give away that implies they played start to finish. This game has probably been done for a while, at least the main mission.

Rising was 6 hours max, and was sixty bucks(more for me since I had to have that lamp). None of these games are really long, curb your expectations.

I love the MGS series so I'll buy this day 1. 4 hrs for a regular user probably means 6-7 hrs for me since I always try to play stealth and take my time looking around and checking out the area in any MGS.

Sojgat

Probably in some altered/improved state, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

Of course there will be no confirmation of that anytime soon.

IvorB

Wait.. is this the one in the desert with the saucily dressed sniper, the one with a guy in the hospital or the one at night with the lizard-faced guy? I'm genuinely confused.

maxcriden

I am curious if they are including cut-scenes or if they skipped them because they only had 4 hours. If this is 4 hours with out cutscenes that seems reasonable. MGS 4 was about 4 hours of gameplay.

It's hard to imagine reviewers/journalists playing through a MGS game and skipping cutscenes.

Also, average time to beat MGS4 is 18 hrs. Minus approximately 10 hrs of cutscenes (best figure I can find online, feel free to correct me), that's about an average of 8 hrs of gameplay for a regular run.

RangerBAD

Their statement doesn't confirm anything either way, but it's still going to be too short for the price point for most people. Konami made a mistake, nothing new.

It's hard to imagine reviewers/journalists playing through a MGS game and skipping cutscenes.

Also, average time to beat MGS4 is 18 hrs. Minus approximately 10 hrs of cutscenes (best figure I can find online, feel free to correct me), that's about an average of 8 hrs of gameplay for a regular run.

We can add cutscenes into that four hour figure too.

kick51

Banned

looks like "they gave us four hours to mess with it"

highly doubt that means they beat the story, extra missions, and all the difficulties.

Wait.. is this the one in the desert with the saucily dressed sniper, the one with a guy in the hospital or the one at night with the lizard-faced guy? I'm genuinely confused.

The rainy nighttime one. With other bonus missions set in the same location at different times of day.

MormaPope

Banned
Nope. There are platform-exclusive preorder missions AND format-based exclusives (physical will have them, nothing extra for the digital.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732382

gHh3r7K.png

I still don't know what's being excluded or included or what constitutes "bonus content". Are extra ops missions ie side missions introduced in Peace Walker considered bonus content in Ground Zeroes?

Whatever the case is I'm still going digital unless the bonus content actually adds $10 worth of content.

I don't get this mentality either. There are bad games that last 10+ hours, the amount of time it takes to beat something isn't the ultimate gauge of value. It can be part of the value process, sure.
If it's Super short it should be a budget title, or cheaper, in the UK it's retailing at full price for the next gen retail versions... Regardless of quality that's expensive, and I don't take issue with shorter games usually (journey etc are not overpriced to me) .

Betty

Banned

The one at night in the camp.

The one with the desert is Phantom Pain, which is, according to Kojima, 300 times larger than Ground Zeroes.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It always takes me longer to play it than most people, but 4 hour is a bit short.

Oh well, I haven't had a new console MGS game to play in over five years, I'll take a glorified $40 demo. I've wasted more money in worse ways.

Top Bottom