• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

Kandinsky

Why are people acting like this is something new, Uncharted games, for example, lasts around the same money/hours ratio.

so like i predicted its about as long/a little bit longer than the Tanker from MGS2....
i predict 6 months after both games are out a GOTY edition will come out with them all on one disk. It's blatantly obvious that this is the tutorial mission/DLC that has been stripped off the main game to milk money from people

I for one am disgusted

i'm also disgusting since it means nothing to me as i'll still buy both....i'm scum

MormaPope

Banned
Again, the end time is not the time it took you to beat the game. The end time only counts current mission times, not cutscene times, time spent at menus, and does not count time accrued during retires.

Dude, c'mon now. I started Rising at 11:00 PM the day it launched, browsed GAF, ate shit, all while playing Rising and finished it around 5-6 in the morning. Rising isn't a secret long length game, plenty of people scrutinized the length of the game.

Cutscenes aren't included in MGR's clear time.

Didn't know that. Guess Armstrong was the reason why my time got jacked up on my first playthrough.

Well, if you remember, Konami are supposedly deciding on the release date for Phantom Pain based on the performance of Ground Zeroes.

If it does poorly, they will delay the release.
So they want to see if the game's new mechanics fly?

Because if sales are low what good is a delay unless they revamp the game?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question - still having my morning coffee here.

KugelBlitz

Neo Member
Unless it's been confirmed -- it doesn't sound like they had completed it (edit: Ah, yeah, I read it wrong, it does appear that it may be the case) it merely sounds like they were given 4 hours to try the game.

Either way, I'm still rather interested, though if I'm honest I was never really considering a day one purchase.

I'll approach this like any other game -- Hold off and get an impression from multiple reviews -- even if it is a MGS title.

But let's not jump to conclusion yet, Gaf.

That's fine. I was hoping for 6-8 hours, but as long as it's tight and packed to the brim with interesting content and stellar level design i'm more than happy. I despise 40+ hour games that are padded, repetitive, and boring. I'm hoping the trend going forward is more ~10 hour games that have no filler and are memorable experiences.

Are you sure you're talking about real time and not in-game time? Did you play it on easy?

I used real time, I did it all in one sitting and enjoyed the fuck outta it, never died on my first run and did not watch codecs. Also first play through was on normal, then I did every other difficulty which obviously took longer.

EDIT: just checked my notes, It was 5 hours 21 minutes on my first run, sorry bout that bit of exaggeration.

Longer than I expected tbh lol

Honestly 4 hours is longer than I thought it would be...

Yeah, it is actually. I feared it would be shorter, seeing as it's being billed as a prologue/demo. Still though, $20 or bust for me.

Guys I just got back from 1990, I can't believe I spent $40 on Mega Man 3 when I can beat it in just over an hour.

Barring the whole "charging money for a demo" thing, which is admittedly shady, when the hell did # of hours to completion become the metric by which we judge a game's value?

I just hope Phantom Pain comes out later this year instead of getting pushed into 2015.

I'm pretty sure PP has been all but confirmed to be (at least) 2015 from various comments from Kojima & others (along the lines of, "we have a long way to go" and things like that).

The term is perfectly clear. They played through the [insert whole, complete] main mission plus extra content in 4 hours. The inserts are superfluous because it's already implied directly in the term. That's why it's cut and dry.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/through

Here are some definitions.

Preach.
Seriously, I was getting annoyed of people arguing through ≠ completed the mission.

mattp

That's fine. I was hoping for 6-8 hours, but as long as it's tight and packed to the brim with interesting content and stellar level design i'm more than happy. I despise 40+ hour games that are padded, repetitive, and boring. I'm hoping the trend going forward is more ~10 hour games that have no filler and are memorable experiences.

problem is, it appears that the entire thing takes place in that one map they've shown in every video
which is...very underwhelming

Sojgat

Well, if you remember, Konami are supposedly deciding on the release date for Phantom Pain based on the performance of Ground Zeroes.

If it does poorly, they will delay the release.

post-29069-imgur-the-simple-image-sharer-Rj2e.gif

So Konami are telling fans to buy Ground Zeroes or they'll have to wait longer to get their hands on the main game?

That's basically holding The Phantom Pain for ransom.

so remind me again, what games comes out for PS4? Phantom pain or Ground Zeroes?

I am really sad that I cant tell the difference in graphics from a PS3 to PS4...I am far from impressed with Kojima productions with this game. Usually they are amazing with graphics, look at MGS4

Didn't know that. Guess Armstrong was the reason why my time got jacked up on my first playthrough.

If you mean dying to Armstrong, then all runs that end in deaths aren't counted either.

The only thing that MGR counts is the last successful run from one checkpoint to the next. Retries, runs that end in deaths, cutscenes, menus, and I even think VR missions and codecs (someone correct me if I'm wrong on those two), don't count.

Taker34

Banned
The most disappointing thing for people is that Konami presents Ground Zeroes as some kind of small MGS-standalone title. Even though people often enough bought full priced games in order to play a highly anticipated demo (which probably contains less than an hour of gameplay). It's all about how you present these products. The name of the game doesn't imply that it's basically a big demo. How about MGS: Prologue?
Personally, I can't wait to play this title and that's why I'm going to spend 40€ on this.
I found out that a games price doesn't determine content and length... it's the only explanation why I spent about 500€ on the Mass Effect trilogy. Didn't find the value in my game boxes, btw - it was rather hidden in the depths of Tali's butt, I think.

So don't buy games with countervalue in mind. That's just wrong.

I'm not really one to replay games, so i think i'll play this on hard and really force myself to learn the mechanics of the game, to avoid just breezing by cheaply. It'll likely extend the length a bit and i'll get more satisfaction from beating it.

post-29069-imgur-the-simple-image-sharer-Rj2e.gif

So Konami are telling fans to buy Ground Zeroes or they'll have to wait longer to get their hands on the main game?

That's basically holding The Phantom Pain for ransom.

Could be worse... could pull a capcom and tell you that Ground Zeroes performance will dictate whether Phantom Pain is ever even released... then cancel Ground Zeroes a few weeks before release (and thus cancelling Phantom Pain as well).

Cool so they spent ~4hrs to beat the main mission and experiment with the extra OPs? Did they say if they completed all the extra OPs?

I'm sure I'll be replaying the main mission and extra ops numerous times, so this is definitely worth 40 dollars for me.

And people spent $60 just to play the MGS2 demo and $40 for the Rising demo when they came with ZOE, so I have no problem with paying $40 for ~4 hours of Kojima directed glory.

I agree too, but we have to leave it open for argument since none of us have actually played it.

I'm not even saying he did finish the mission, but anyone arguing that 'played through' isn't explicit enough is being willfully obtuse. Maybe the writer chose a bad wording for the sentence though, so like you said let's hope it's longer.

Grief.exe

If you mean dying to Armstrong, then all runs that end in deaths aren't counted either.

The only thing that MGR counts is the last successful run from one checkpoint to the next. Retries, runs that end in deaths, cutscenes, menus, and I even think VR missions and codecs (someone correct me if I'm wrong on those two), don't count.

I spent at least an hour and a half perfecting the Armstrong fight alone.

When I entered the fight, my Zandatsu skills were lacking, by the end, I was very accurate.

And people spent $60 just to play the MGS2 demo and $40 for the Rising demo when they came with ZOE, so I have no problem with paying $40 for ~4 hours of Kojima directed glory.

A) ZOE 1 was a pretty good game and it only cost $50, plus the demo.
B) The Rising demo came out for free like two months later in Japan and three months later in North America... and the early version was bundled with two great games.

That's not really comparable to a $40 standalone prologue.

MormaPope

Banned

After getting annihilated over and over I went to GAF for advice, got some advice, restarted the chapter and searched the final areas extensively for nano paste. The in game time might not reflect it but Armstrong was a choke point time wise for me.

I actually forgot the in game time and guessed it was 5 hours, based on me thinking cutscenes and retries counted. Replaying it recently I can beat Rising in a little over 2 1/2 hours. So I guess my actual time for my first playthrough was a little over 4 hours.

Not to defend this whole thing, but...Zone of the Enders was also a 4 hour game and it was full price + The literal MGS2 demo. $50 instead of $60, but the point still stands. Still more than GZ costs for the same amount of content, no real extra ops equivalent either.

Does that make this pricing okay? No. But there's been worse before. Hopefully the extra post game content is fairly substantial...not holding out hope but we don't know yet. Also keep in mind that only the next gen box copy is $40, the digital next-gen is $30 and the digital current-gen version is even $20. There are cheaper options avaialable to everyone than $40.

If you think $40 is too much don't get the box copy. If you think the game as a whole is a rip-off then vote with your wallet and don't get it at all. Buying anything Metal Gear because "I'm a fan and I need it" isn't a good mentality to have if you really feel like it's too much!

RangerBAD

A) ZOE 1 was a pretty good game and it only cost $50, plus the demo.
B) The Rising demo came out for free like two months later in Japan and three months later in North America... and the early version was bundled with two great games.

That's not really comparable to a $40 standalone prologue.

Right. The free demo did eventually come to console storefronts in the case of Rising.

After getting annihilated over and over I went to GAF for advice, got some advice, restarted the chapter and searched the final areas extensively for nano paste. The in game time might not reflect it but Armstrong was a choke point time wise for me.

I actually forgot the in game time and guessed it was 5 hours, based on me thinking cutscenes and retries counted. Replaying it recently I can beat Rising in a little over 2 1/2 hours. So I guess my actual time for my first playthrough was a little over 4 hours.

I feel like you've completely moved the goal posts here after being proven wrong, but whatever.

Could be worse... could pull a capcom and tell you that Ground Zeroes performance will dictate whether Phantom Pain is ever even released... then cancel Ground Zeroes a few weeks before release (and thus cancelling Phantom Pain as well).

That Mega Man Legends 3 hate still soldering on...

Thorgi

I'm honestly glad to have yet another excuse not to buy a game from Konami. They treat both their developers and fans like garbage.

Carlisle

Yeah, it's actually more than I expected when people were saying it's just the tutorial prologue. Clearly it's much more than that and even longer than some $60 dollar games that came out last gen. It also makes me a little more unsure about whether TPP will include GZ when it comes out.

Still don't like the idea of spending $40 for part of a game, but it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Forkball

Ground Zeroes is a glorified demo. I paid $8 to play the MGS3 demo because I had to buy a magazine to get it. It's just inflation now.

maxcriden

Ha, yeah that was a huge disappointment. They were all just little clips and nothing at all substantial. So stupid.

I think at the time I didn't have an XBox so I mostly picked it up to play the 5 new VR missions included. Of course, MGS2: Substance ended up coming to PS2 the following Spring and I picked that up, much better value and extras in that one.

Top Bottom