• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Best of 2016 awards + Reader's Choice

Not spoiler tagging the lists. Each winner has an entry, read them at the link

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...rmer-best-of-2016-awards.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Our full Top 50 list is featured in the latest issue of Game Informer, but that won't stop us sharing our picks for 2016's best platform exclusives, genre standouts, multiplayer experiences, and more. Read on to see which games took home honors, including G.I.'s Game of the Year award.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...oice-best-of-2016-awards.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Nearly 20,000 of you participated in the polling this year, which is great. Thanks for taking the time to make your voices heard, even if your opinions were wrong (KIDDING). Without further ado, here are the complete results, in all of the categories.

GI:

Best Sony Exclusive: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Best Microsoft Exclusive: Gears of War 4
Best Nintendo Exclusive: Fire Emblem Fates
Best PC Exclusive: World Of Warcraft: Legion
Best Mobile/Handheld Exclusive: Clash Royale
Best Action Game: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Best Adventure Game: Firewatch
Best Competitive Multiplayer: Overwatch
Best Cooperative Multiplayer: Overcooked
Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter V
Best Racing Game: Forza Horizon 3
Best Role-Playing Game: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood And Wine
Best Platforming Game: Inside
Best Puzzle Game: The Witness
Best MMO: World Of Warcraft: Legion
Best Rhythm/Music Game: Audioshield
Best Shooter: Overwatch
Best Simulation Game: Stardew Valley
Best Strategy Game: Civilization VI
Best Sports Game: NBA 2K17
Best VR Game: Chronos
Best Remaster: Ratchet & Clank
Game of the Year: Overwatch

Readers:

Best Sony Exclusive: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Best Microsoft Exclusive: Gears of War 4
Best Nintendo Game: Pokémon Sun & Moon
Best PC Exclusive: Civilization VI
Best Mobile/Handheld Game: Pokémon Go
Best Action Game: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Best Adventure Game: Firewatch
Best Competitive Multiplayer: Overwatch
Best Cooperative Multiplayer: Dark Souls 3
Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter V
Best Racing Game: Forza Horizon 3
Best Role-Playing Game: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood And Wine
Best Platforming Game: Inside
Best Puzzle Game: The Witness
Best MMO: The Elder Scrolls Online – Dark Brotherhood
Best Rhythm/Music: Rock Band 4: Rivals
Best Shooter: Overwatch
Best Simulation: Stardew Valley
Best Sports: FIFA 17
Best Strategy: Civilization VI
Best Remaster: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
Best VR Game: Arkham VR
2016 Game of the Year: The Witcher 3: Blood And Wine

LordKano

2016 Game of the Year: The Witcher 3: Blood And Wine
tumblr_m0tq0c3odQ1qe6dvp.gif

Staf

I think CD project red should release a free armor DLC or something so they can win 2017 again!

Overall good list by both the staff and the readers. There is a lot of great games on there.

Crazy though that they had 20,000 people poll and a Witcher 3 DLC won GOTY from the fanbase. Nuts. That said can't blame them, its a fantastic addition to one of the greatest RPG's ever made.

Yeah listing Ratchet and Clank as a remaster is weird considering it is a ground-up remake but whatever, I'm glad it's on the list somewhere

scoobs

Readers got it right. TW3 expansions are better games than anything else actually released this year (although DOOM is pretty close in my heart)

Realeza

Banned
Somebody explain to me how in the mother of fuck is "Clash Royale" better than something like Fire Emblem Fates or SMTIV Apocalypse. Please.

bj00rn_

Banned
Good list, overall. I've never heard of Audioshield, though, is it really better than Thumper?

It's really damn good, and it's a unique experience as well. however it deserves more than just a one guy developer.. it's not exactly polished in every way.. and needs some licensed music baked in.

GRaider81

I haven't played the game or have any interest in doing so due to it being a FPS. I understand completely why it's so beloved just by watching it.

Yep,

I hated Pokemon Go but totally got why it was such a phenomenon.

Even if you don't like something its usually pretty easy to figure out why its so popular.

VesperZ

Neo Member
I love reading all of these best of 2016 articles and lists because of the variety you see and all the great game represented. It puts a smile on my face thinking back to all the fantastic games that came out last year.

robotrock

Banned
Good list, overall. I've never heard of Audioshield, though, is it really better than Thumper?

I don't really think they are comparable. Audio Shield is more like an Audio Surf type of thing in VR, and it's super neat.

Thumper is a vision of hell

Wozman23

As others have said:

Audioshield over Thumper?! Never heard of it, and although it looks interesting, Thumper was an extremely unique beast that won't be topped easily in my eyes.

And simply calling Inside a platformer is a bit of a stretch. It's more of a sidescrolling puzzle game. Lumping sidescrollers, pure platformers, and puzzle platformers all together seems a bit foolish. It really takes away from many of the other greats within those genres, like Unravel, 140, or even 3D games like Grow Up.

While I couldn't quite see my way to name W3:B&W GOTY, it was darn close. Although I preferred the story arc and execution in Hearts of Stone, it was still probably the best full expansion of a modern RPG, all things considered.

Zemm

How is compared to HoS?

I prefer B&W mainly because of the new location which is beautiful. The characters and storytelling is the usual very high standard, but with HoS I was starting to get a bit bored of that area since we played in it for 40 odd hours with the main game. Toussaint was a much needed change.

Ultimadrago

I prefer B&W mainly because of the new location which is beautiful. The characters and storytelling is the usual very high standard, but with HoS I was starting to get a bit bored of that area since we played in it for 40 odd hours with the main game. Toussaint was a much needed change.

Agreed. I largely prefer the main story in Hearts of Stone, but all of the additional content (including sidequests) on top of a solid tale makes Blood & Wine take the cake for me. No one who enjoys The Witcher III should skip either though.

Top Bottom