• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
My last post seems kinda funny now.

The Mountain that Rides has been recast, again.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/08/mountain-recast/

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is replacing Ian Whyte.

Seriously?

I don't know if you'll find many people complaining about this one, poor Ian Whyte tried his best but he was way to skinny compared to Conan Stevens. Ser Gregor's supposed to be an absolute monster but he looked like a generic solider in season 2...

Edit: Found a picture of the guy with Schwarzenegger, pretty cool :D

Ok. Complaints withdrawn. This guy will work.

someday

Banned
I finally got done watching the first two seasons on NetFlix DVD, but now the wait to buy Season 3 on DVD and watch Season 4 already seems interminable.

I only began watching Game of Thrones this year when FIOS gave me HBO for free during Spring. And I probably only watched two thirds of the season because I would change the channel when characters came on that I had no idea about or things got a bit boring. Then by the final couple of episodes I was totally hooked and cursing myself for not getting on the GoT train earlier. Maybe instead of buying Season 3 on disc I'll just subscribe to HBO next March and then I can catch up with the parts I missed on HBO Go before the first episode of Season 4 airs.

I'd definitely recommend watching the first two seasons before re-watching Season 3.

And I don't mind the recast of Daario. I wasn't all that crazy about him last season because he looked too...something. I don't know. I like the look of the new guy so far.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Recast recast recast recast. Calm down Game of Thrones. I wonder if these are contractual/scheduling issues or just straight up the producers wanting to go a different route. The original Mountain was perfect, and Daario was great. Whatevs.

And I don't mind the recast of Daario. I wasn't all that crazy about him last season because he looked too...something. I don't know. I like the look of the new guy so far.

This is what I liked about him. He just had that strange, mystic thing going on that always caught Dany's eye as well as the viewers, and explained Jorah's skepticism.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd definitely recommend watching the first two seasons before re-watching Season 3.

I think the word you're looking for is "elfish"? :p

I dunno, that's what he looked to me. Like he could be the brother of Legolas or something.

Chuckie

Seems like Daario's been recast as well, Joffrey's little brother or The Mountain is one thing but this is going to be the first really noticeable recast. Michiel Huisman is replacing Ed Skrein for the 4th season:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-books-treme-alum-616705

Edit: Found a comparison pick if anyone's interested:

gotweird.jpg

Wow, second Dutchy in the series! Not too happy with the recast though.

My crazy theory about Daario's recasting, based on nothing: Emilia Clarke didn't get along with the actor and since their characters might be romantically involved, HBO did her a favor.

New mountain is good news, but I kind of liked the old Dario. Comparison shot looks crappy, but we haven't seen him in character yet, so it might get better. I'll have an open mind.

Also, any online betting sites where we can place the bets for who the fourth mountain is going to be?

Jonogunn

I like the actor that played Dario. He had this mysterious look to him and the way he talks. It was very unique.

That and I just hate when movies/tv shows recast ppl

Nameless

Oddly, this is probably the last show that should be recasting people, and at the same time the one that can get away with it the most.

Seems like Daario's been recast as well, Joffrey's little brother or The Mountain is one thing but this is going to be the first really noticeable recast. Michiel Huisman is replacing Ed Skrein for the 4th season:

gotweird.jpg

Well, I don't know what I think about recasting but that guy is solid on Treme, so he should be amazing on this show.

Recasts are irrelevant. Everyone who's been recast doesn't seem to matter all that much. Tommen: didn't even show up in season 3. Doubt it really matters.
Mountain: Seems to just be "generic big ass dude who is intimidating." Again, doesn't really matter.
Daario: Eye candy for Daenerys and to make Jorah a jealous schoolboy. And the first actor doesn't even look much like he did in costume. Once they shave this new guy and put him in a wig, It'll be close enough that I won't care. I didn't like the first guy's acting anyway. FOR ALL WE KNOW the character will get one more scene and immediately die, sending Daenerys into murderous dragonrage and finally getting her ass over to Westeros.

Showaddy

New mountain is good news, but I kind of liked the old Dario. Comparison shot looks crappy, but we haven't seen him in character yet, so it might get better. I'll have an open mind.

Also, any online betting sites where we can place the bets for who the fourth mountain is going to be?

Hah probably why they chose someone with zero acting experience, no chance of him running off to do The Hobbit or some such.

Demon Ice

Banned

aceface

Cross-posted from the beer thread...

Went down to Ommegang Take the Black stout (second Game of Thrones beer) debut at the brewery today. They had plenty in stock (sorry about the blurry cell phone pic):

Cosplayers they hired who stood around looking serious:

My haul...

Tap for the beer they were selling:

I also had a sample, it's a good earthy stout, 7% abv, nothing mindblowing. Similar to the first GoT beer Iron Throne it doesn't seem as complex as the main Ommegang brews (I'm thinking Three Philosophers or Abbey Ale here) and aimed at more of a mass audience.

Vashetti

Banned
^ he looks not too different from the very first actor that the majority of viewers won't notice the difference. It's not like the Mountain has been a big character compared to the Hound.

I look forward to seeing more of The Mountain over the next seasons. I have never read the books but I hope we see his character developed in the future.

I loved how Tywin Lannister, one of my favorite antagonists on the show, wasn't even on camera until Season 2.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I loved how Tywin Lannister, one of my favorite antagonists on the show, wasn't even on camera until Season 2.
He skinned a dear in S1 when and had a conversation with Jaime. He also had his war council and later he informed Tyrion he would be going to King's Landing to act as Hand in his stead.

Maybe you should watch the first season again so you can watch your favourite antagonist. I know I'll run through S1-3 again before S4 starts.

He skinned a dear in S1 when and had a conversation with Jaime. He also had his war council and later he informed Tyrion he would be going to King's Landing to act as Hand in his stead.

Maybe you should watch the first season again so you can watch your favourite antagonist. I know I'll run through S1-3 again before S4 starts.

Ah, I thought all that stuff was Season 2 but you're right, it was actually during the later chunk of Season 1.

Also, never take that tone with me again.

Nah just kidding.

But seriously.

Kozak

Banned
Season 1 is actually pretty amazing in that they fit so many storylines and characters in. Before rewatching I too remembered it to be season 2.

Tash

gotweird.jpg

Maybe I am the minority but I couldn't stand the original Daario. I am a book reader and he was just totally not fitting imho. He came over as way too slimey, snakelike and douchebaggy..I for one am super happy with the recast.

It might have been the chemistry between him and Jorah that didn't work for me at all. Both look and interaction wise.

flyover

Maybe I am the minority but I couldn't stand the original Daario. I am a book reader and he was just totally not fitting imho. He came over as way too slimey, snakelike and douchebaggy..I for one am super happy with the recast.

He had a serious '80s teen movie villain vibe, like Richard Tyson in Three O'Clock High or something.

Dany

Banned
Hmm, that moment was quite fantastic. The show really did a great job delivering it. I wonder what other TV moments would surpass it.

DKehoe

The Mountain has been recast a second time and now Daario is being recast? Is this not kind of odd for a show of this scale?

EDIT: People shouldn't really vote for that moment, especially if it's going to be announced at the Emmys. Wouldn't want it being spoiled for people.

Curufinwe

So I'm getting HBO for free this weekend thru FIOS, but it seems like they don't have Game of Thrones as one of their On Demand shows.

I was hoping I could go thru Season 3 in a few hours just watching the parts I missed earlier this year.

kirblar

Mountain has been recast a second time and now Daario is being recast? Is this not kind of odd for a show of this scale?
Mountain was a result of their first recast just being completely wrong for the part and is a massive upgrade. Daario's definitely weird though.

someday

Banned
So I'm getting HBO for free this weekend thru FIOS, but it seems like they don't have Game of Thrones as one of their On Demand shows.

I was hoping I could go thru Season 3 in a few hours just watching the parts I missed earlier this year.

That's too bad that they took it down. They cycle through the On Demand shows and I guess they don't want to give that away for free this weekend.

Curufinwe

I know now I'll have to subscribe to HBO next year when Season 4 is starting. There's no way I'll be able to wait around avoiding spoilers until it comes out on DVD in 2015.

someday

Banned
I know now I'll have to subscribe to HBO next year when Season 4 is starting. There's no way I'll be able to wait around avoiding spoilers until it comes out on DVD in 2015.

You know, I was able to avoid all GoT spoilers by sticking to this thread and with a little luck. I somehow was always a bit late to the spoilers that got through in here and I just don't google anything GoT related. The Red Wedding was a complete and utter shock to me and it was great.

I'm reading the books now though so I won't be an active participant in this thread next season...I don't really want to join the other thread though because GAF TV threads too often tear shows apart and take all the fun out of them. This thread is one of the few where it's still really positive. Oh well. My problem and fault since I broke down and am mowing through the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom