• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
So without spoiling anything, how amazing is this season's finale going to be if it's following the book?

The finale to the second book isn't too amazing, unless you count what is about to happen in episode 9, which I'd personally call the finale.'

don't worry, seasons 3 and 4 won't disappoint finale wise. if you're looking for going out with bangs, those are the seasons you have to wait for. Without spoiling anything

Dany

Banned
It all depends, with whats happened with Cat and Jamie in the previous episode, they can move any storyline anywhere now, it feels.

So without spoiling anything, how amazing is this season's finale going to be if it's following the book?

The ninth episode will include the climax of the book (just as the ninth episode of season one did), and should be amazing. Dunno what will happen in the finale episode though, but I'd imagine it'll have some big stuff in it

The finale to the second book isn't too amazing, unless you count what is about to happen in episode 9, which I'd personally call the finale.'

don't worry, seasons 3 and 4 won't disappoint finale wise. if you're looking for going out with bangs, those are the seasons you have to wait for. Without spoiling anything

I need to finish book 4 still, but the end of book 3 was definitely a highlight for me.
I had to stop myself from squealing like a little girl at the end of 3 when Littlefinger kicks Lysa to her death.

Amir0x

Banned
I need to finish book 4 still, but the end of book 3 was definitely a highlight for me.
I had to stop myself from squealing like a little girl at the end of 3 when Littlefinger kicks Lysa to her death.

book 3 is being split up into two seasons - season 3 and season 4. I am presuming that <MAJOR ASoS Spoilers, Non-Readers Do Not Click Unless You are Dumber than Shit>
Season 3 finale will be red wedding with Robb/Cat and season 4 finale will be Tyrion killing Tywin

Season 5 and 6, which I assume will be Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons mixed together if we get there, will be the ones where it'll be reaaal interesting to see how they approach it. It'll be the most structurally unique from the books by necessity.

book 3 is being split up into two seasons - season 3 and season 4. I am presuming that <MAJOR ASoS Spoilers, Non-Readers Do Not Click Unless You are Dumber than Shit>
Season 3 finale will be red wedding and season 4 finale will be Tyrion killing Tywin

Season 5 and 6, which I assume will be Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons mixed together if we get there, will be the ones where it'll be reaaal interesting to see how they approach it. It'll be the most structurally unique from the books by necessity.

I agree with your idea for the season 3 finale. But the finale for season 4 will have
Tyrion killing Tywin (and it will be heartbreaking as he kills Shae as well), Littlefinger giving Lysa the boot (and there will be much rejoicing, for Littlefinger is amazing), and ending with Zombie Cat.
Yeah, the ends of those two seasons, if they follow the events of the book and split like we are thinking, will be serious shit for the show.

Dany

Banned
I agree with your idea for the season 3 finale. But the finale for season 4 will have
Tyrion killing Tywin (and it will be heartbreaking as he kills Shae as well), Littlefinger giving Lysa the boot (and there will be much rejoicing, for Littlefinger is amazing), and ending with Zombie Cat.
Yeah, the ends of those two seasons, if they follow the events of the book and split like we are thinking, will be serious shit for the show.

Don't forget that SOS
that little fucker, joffery is going to die, which I'd presume would be halfway through seaosn 4 I guess. But yes, end of season 3 will break so many people, I am excited! Also when do the three horns sound for the wildings are coming? halfway through book 3 right?

Don't forget that SOS
that little fucker, joffery is going to die, which I'd presume would be halfway through seaosn 4 I guess. But yes, end of season 3 will break so many people, I am excited!

That little fucker did not suffer enough! Of course, that episode will be awesome to see whenever it does occur, but that event will be the end of whatever episode it is in.

emiliaclarke2011winte6zyak.jpg

Sweet lawd she's amazing as a brunette. (which tends to be the case with most girls :b)

Don't forget that SOS
that little fucker, joffery is going to die, which I'd presume would be halfway through seaosn 4 I guess. But yes, end of season 3 will break so many people, I am excited! Also when do the three horns sound for the wildings are coming? halfway through book 3 right?

Possible season 2 spoiler based on the Soundtrack info released:
The final song on the soundtrack is called 'Three Blasts'

Dany

Banned
Possible season 2 spoiler based on the Soundtrack info released:
The final song on the soundtrack is called 'Three Blasts'

the teaser trailer for this season had the three horns blasting with the tagline being 'cold winds are rising' I'd feel it would be too soon and just ruin the ygritte story

EDIT: yeah, the prolouge was SAM hearing the horns.....right?

Nlroh

Don't forget that SOS

I thought the three horns scene was the prologue of book 3.

Amir0x

Banned
man all this Storm of Swords talk makes me recall... i still can't believe GRRM lost the Hugo Award for Storm of Swords to fucking J.K. Rowling and that Harry Potter garbage. Storm of Swords is written so many billions of times better that it must be a cosmic joke

Dany

Banned
SOS
I don;t think they've talked or shown enough of the white walkers this season for the horns to mean a lot, obviously if its Sam he can exposition what 3 horns mean but I think they would probably pan out to them approaching the wall

ZeroRay

man all this Storm of Swords talk makes me recall... i still can't believe GRRM lost the Hugo Award for Storm of Swords to fucking J.K. Rowling and that Harry Potter garbage. Storm of Swords is written so many billions of times better that it must be a cosmic joke

Hugo's wanted dat mainstream attention.

Nlroh

Which Harry Potter book?

Amir0x

Banned
SOS
I don;t think they've talked or shown enough of the white walkers this season for the horns to mean a lot, obviously if its Sam he can exposition what 3 horns mean but I think they would probably pan out to them approaching the wall

Sam has
already said what three horns mean in the series this season in fact.

Nlroh said:
Which Harry Potter book?

Wouldn't matter which book; even the worst Song of Ice and Fire book is better than the best Harry Potter book. Fuck Harry Potter is so goddamn awful. But the book specifically is Goblet of Fire.

the teaser trailer for this season had the three horns blasting with the tagline being 'cold winds are rising' I'd feel it would be too soon and just ruin the ygritte story

EDIT: yeah, the prolouge was SAM hearing the horns.....right?

I thought the three horns scene was the prologue of book 3.

It was.

Probably gonna be the finale of this season.

Yep.

That's what it looks like based off the soundtrack listing.

Also, that 'The National' version of Rains of Castamere is also on the season two soundtrack, which I found odd.

I think they will play it over the credits so it has a larger impact when it is played in a certain season 3 event.

It also read that the melody is set to the tune Tyrion is whistling earlier this season. I haven't checked it myself yet.

Amir0x

Banned
JordoftheDead, you should totally listen to the Rains of Castamere song by The National, it's sick.

I'm actually wondering if they might play in at the end of Episode 9.

Sam has
already said what three horns mean in the series this season in fact.

Yup. Combined with the obsidian and horn they discovered last episode {ASOS}
plus the soundtrack listing, it seems almost certain they'll end with this season with the three horn blasts and probably a "Oh fuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkk" look from all the Night's Watch guys before cutting to the credits- or maybe they'll pull out to show a bunch of Wights or Others closing in.

You add in the House of the Undying, Qhorin vs. Jon, Ramsay possibly sacking Winterfell and Jaqen changing faces and it should be a solid enough finale.

apana

For me personally they screwed up what was the most compelling story arc of book 2 so yeah I agree with you about episode 9.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah episode 9 will be the real finale if they didn't skimp. They really didn't develop ACOK
tyrion's masterstroke at all though, which pisses me off.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy shit. This is good.

Seriously it's so weird because it's almost exactly how I imagined it sounding when I read the <ASoS major spoilers>
Red Wedding
, even down to the National's deep voice.

Yup. Combined with the obsidian and horn they discovered last episode {ASOS}
plus the soundtrack listing, it seems almost certain they'll end with this season with the three horn blasts and probably a "Oh fuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkk" look from all the Night's Watch guys before cutting to the credits- or maybe they'll pull out to show a bunch of Wights or Others closing in.

You add in the House of the Undying, Qhorin vs. Jon, Ramsay possibly sacking Winterfell and Jaqen changing faces and it should be a solid enough finale.

yes the final episode shouldn't be lame or anything.

For me personally they screwed up what was the most compelling story arc of book 2 so yeah I agree with you about episode 9.

if you mean Arya, I agree.

Also, I was looking up some Game of THrones youtube videos and I saw this video on the side of some crazy Christian girl, but am I the only one who thinks she looks like fucking Oona Chaplin? I mean, I know it's not her... but at least in this video I keep doing a double take. Maybe it's just me.

Speevy

Banned
the side of some crazy Christian girl, but am I the only one who thinks she looks like fucking Oona Chaplin? I mean, I know it's not her... but at least in this video I keep doing a double take. Maybe it's just me.

She definitely resembles Oona Chaplin, I agree.

I don't think she seems so crazy, though. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Amir0x

Banned
She definitely resembles Oona Chaplin, I agree.

I don't think she seems so crazy, though. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

i think all religious people are crazy by default. and i consider all christians who make cheesy youtube videos with index card messages set to lame sappy music some sort of extra crazy. (edit: i genuinely don't even mean that in the sense that they're consciously crazy; I think religion is a sort of corrupted mental condition that should be cured)

But that's a separate topic, mainly I just actually ended up looking this chick up because I thought I had just learned Oona was some weirdo evangelical who makes youtube videos about her faith

Seriously it's so weird because it's almost exactly how I imagined it sounding when I read the <ASoS major spoilers>
Red Wedding
, even down to the National's deep voice.

My brother told me about it because he knows I love The National, and you're not wrong. It just sounds so depressing and ominous. I love it. Reactions seem a bit mixed based on the comments, but Youtube comment sections always make me weep for humanity. :p

I'm glad they picked a credible modern band to do a somber version of it. If they had made it sound like a medieval bard thing people outside of book-nuts would of thought it sounded cheesy, and the song at the moment is on rotation on Triple J in Australia.

That's how my brother heard it. He was driving home from work and he said he nearly had a pants explosion while driving. You certainly don't expect to hear an alternative radio station playing 'The Rains of Castamere' on your drive home.

Amir0x

Banned
My brother told me about it because he knows I love The National, and you're not wrong. It just sounds so depressing and ominous. I love it. Reactions seem a bit mixed based on the comments, but Youtube comment sections always make me weep for humanity. :p

I'm glad they picked a credible modern band to do a somber version of it. If they had made it sound like a medieval bard thing people outside of book-nuts would of thought it sounded cheesy, and the song at the moment is on rotation on Triple J in Australia.

That's how my brother heard it. He was driving home from work and he said he nearly had a pants explosion while driving. You certainly don't expect to hear an alternative radio station playing 'The Rains of Castamere' on your drive home.

That's real cool they played it on the station.

This Rains of Castamere song will be infamous in a year, so it's going to be amazing to see it in action

Finally saw the most recent episode. It's like they took all my problems with this season and made a whole episode from them. Obviously you occasionally need "setting the table" episodes in shows like this, but this entire damn season has been nothing but table setting. It's far more concerned with simply moving pieces around than getting you to actually care about any of them. I'm not liking the show less and less because it's different/worse than the books, it's not at all difficult for me to view an adaptation and its source as different entities. I'm liking it less because it's boring. I love slow-paced stuff in general but I'm hardly invested in any characters anymore.

Not looking to troll or anything, I'm just getting increasingly frustrated and disappointed. This was how I generally felt about the first half of last season as well, but it rebounded sharply with a great back half (ep6-10). S2 hasn't yet hit that point for me. Hopefully Marshall/Martin can make it happen with ep9, I guess.

Anyway. The Rains of Castamere sounds amazing. I only know of them from their song in Portal 2 but this version is just perfect. Moody as a motherfucker. It'll be an excellent credits song.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I feel like I'm in biazzarro land. The cover by the National sounds like a dude in a closet slowly mumbling the lyrics. Half the lyrics are almost lost due to his mumbling nonsense. Maybe people are biased due to liking their past work/glad they got anyone semi known to do a track?

Oh well at least everyone else seems to love it.

apana

I feel like I'm in biazzarro land. The cover by the National sounds like a dude in a closet slowly mumbling the lyrics. Maybe people are biased due to liking their past work/glad they got anyone semi known to do a track?

I like the version by the National but it should just be an additional song on the soundtrack. The official one they use in the show should sound more medieval, like the ones I linked to earlier in the thread except done by professionals.

Amir0x

Banned
sometimes, particularly for visual mediums, you have to modify what might necessarily be the more accurate route for a greater impact

although the Rains of Castamere song you posted apana is probably -technically- more accurate to how music would have sound in any medieval-analog type universe, it's simply not somber enough to
truly represent the horror of what would be going down
in a visual space. It would clash hardcore. Which, again, might technically be accurate, but doesn't necessarily make good television.

In this sense, the version they posted is perfect for the purpose. And it must certainly does not sound like mumbling in the closet, da fug. I've never been a big Nationals fan, I like only like one other song of theirs, but he does have a distinctive voice, and that voice works hardcore here.

Speevy

Banned
This show needs <series>
something very big to counterbalance the death of Cat and Robb. I realize it's what happens, but as a viewer you're going to be like NO NO NO NO NO NO. I don't think a somber piece of music is quite adequate to sell something of that magnitude. I could probably stand Robb going if it happened like right now, but the actress who plays Catelyn Stark makes the other females on this show look like amateurs.

This show needs <series>
something very big to counterbalance the death of Cat and Robb. I realize it's what happens, but as a viewer you're going to be like NO NO NO NO NO NO. I don't think a somber piece of music is quite adequate to sell something of that magnitude. I could probably stand Robb going if it happened like right now, but the actress who plays Catelyn Stark makes the other females on this show look like amateurs.
I agree. I think depressing can work for a book but for a tv show I expect they'll add something to add some sense of optimism

Amir0x

Banned
-Pyromaniac-: What the fuck? A sense of OPTIMISM? Mang, get the hell out with that pussyfication shit. As if they should have played a Lady Gaga track over Ned's death. If the people can't stomach the harsh reality of the moments that take place during the show, they should quit life.

Speevy: what can they possibly <general ASoS+>
do to 'counterbalance' it? No one can balance those scales, ha. I've read the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire books and it STILL doesn't feel like those karma scales were balanced for the shit that went down in book 3. And that's the way I like it!

Realistically, there is nothing they could actually change that would be equal to the task that wouldn't simultaneously destroy some major plot points, since only major characters can pay for major characters. it is known.

Maybe people are biased due to liking their past work/glad they got anyone semi known to do a track?

I had never even heard of the Nationals before, and I love their version of the Rains of Castamere. I listened to some of the other ones on youtube that might be more medieval or authentic sounding, but (and maybe its just their lack of production values) they sound too Renaissance Fair-ish. I guess it would come down to whether this version is heard within the show by some bard singing this exact version or whether its played over a scene.

I imagine its kind of the same problem as trying to adapt some of the songs from something like Lord of the Rings- they might seem ok on the page, but if you don't do it right, they'd end up sounding really goofy in a movie/TV show. For what the Rains of Castamere will likely be used for, it sounds appropriate I think.

Thats not to say we won't hear multiple versions of it either within the show too, considering Tyrion has already been whistling it in previous episodes.

This show needs <series>

Thats kind of the whole point though. {Whole series spoilers}
Robb and Cat dying is balanced by Joffrey dying. Or Tywin. Really, there is no need for "balance." If there is anything great about A Song of Ice and Fire, its that shit just happens. There doesn't seem to be some great karma going on, shit just happens and the characters and people deal with the aftermath and move on as best they can. Seeing how the world and people react and deal with Huge Shit like the Red Wedding or Ned's execution is what makes the books interesting.

And its not like Cat will really be going anywhere, although who knows how the show will handle Zombie Cat.

-Pyromaniac-: What the fuck? A sense of OPTIMISM? Mang, get the hell out with that pussyfication shit. As if they should have played a Lady Gaga track over Ned's death. If the people can't stomach the harsh reality of the moments that take place during the show, they should quit life.

do to 'counterbalance' it? No one can balance those scales, ha. I've read the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire books and it STILL doesn't feel like those karma scales were balanced for the shit that went down in book 3. And that's the way I like it!

Realistically, there is nothing they could actually change that would be equal to the task that wouldn't simultaneously destroy some major plot points, since only major characters can pay for major characters. it is known.
I totally agree. I just think they'll pussy out in some way. Maybe not though. They may even relish the moment like they did the Ned stark death.

sometimes, particularly for visual mediums, you have to modify what might necessarily be the more accurate route for a greater impact

although the Rains of Castamere song you posted apana is probably -technically- more accurate to how music would have sound in any medieval-analog type universe, it's simply not somber enough to
truly represent the horror of what would be going down
in a visual space. It would clash hardcore. Which, again, might technically be accurate, but doesn't necessarily make good television.

In this sense, the version they posted is perfect for the purpose. And it must certainly does not sound like mumbling in the closet, da fug. I've never been a big Nationals fan, I like only like one other song of theirs, but he does have a distinctive voice, and that voice works hardcore here.

Couldn't agree more.

I'll admit up-front that I am a big fan of The National, but I really like when Matt sings in his raspy baritone register. It's sounds like a depressing lament over his drink, and I think it would clash terribly if it was sung in a sing-song bard style completely at odds with the impact of a scene it was in. I think this version sounds ominous as hell.

Still, horses for courses...

frequency

For the general audience, I would be concerned about [spoiler just in case, but nothing specific]
major characters dying and new ones coming in. I don't know of any other show where you would have main characters die so much. It would feel like just a rotating cast with no one to really get attached to and no "main villain" or whatever to hate. There needs to be some constant in the cast that viewers can attach to. Maybe they're trying to do it with Dany, which is why she seems to get more scenes than anyone else this season even though very little happens.

This show needs more Jon Snow.

I listened to some of the other ones on youtube that might be more medieval or authentic sounding, but (and maybe its just their lack of production values) they sound too Renaissance Fair-ish. [/URL]

Yeah, the Renaissance Fair sound should be avoided at all costs. It should sound downright morbid, not sound really fey.

Amir0x

Banned
since Peter Dinklage has the leading casting note in the credits now, I am pretty sure he is who viewers are supposed to latch onto. Tyrion and Arya, really.

Which makes sense, since it kind of felt that way in the books too. But as with most things Game of Thrones, you never should really feel comfortable, and I think that needs to feel the same on the show.

For the general audience, I would be concerned about [spoiler just in case, but nothing specific]
major characters dying and new ones coming in. I don't know of any other show where you would have main characters die so much. It would feel like just a rotating cast with no one to really get attached to and no "main villain" or whatever to hate. There needs to be some constant in the cast that viewers can attach to. Maybe they're trying to do it with Dany, which is why she seems to get more scenes than anyone else this season even though very little happens.

This show needs more Jon Snow.
I predict a lot more emphasis, more so than now on Dany, Jon, Arya, and Bran. Tyrion too duh.

Speevy

Banned

I totally understand what you're saying.

When you read a book, you want something rich that defies conventions. In that sense, the Red Wedding could not be a more perfect way to express how the Starks' sense of justice fails in Westeros. However, as a television viewer, you're not seeing this rich plot before you. You just see two characters who can't avenge Eddard because they're dead themselves. So when I say "counterbalance", I don't necessarily mean a karmic scale. I just mean basically what can they do to allow the audience to move forward. They need to earn it somehow, and lay out its aftermath pretty quickly, else I fear viewership could be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom