• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

bigedole

John is a good man and he will not sit by and watch her burn people to death simply because they didn’t “bend the knee” either he kills her or someone will betray her because this show is heavily hinting at her being the next mad Queen.

I'm not picking up on that at all, the show hinting at her being the next Mad Queen. The stuff with Sam's family was simply a plot device to be interesting and continue showing both sides of her approach. Dany has been wonder girl who sometimes makes mistakes the entire run of the show and that isn't changing. She will either get a heroic/self-sacrificing death or end up on the Iron Throne/Married to Jon as King. There's no other end for her story that makes sense.

I'm not picking up on that at all, the show hinting at her being the next Mad Queen. The stuff with Sam's family was simply a plot device to be interesting and continue showing both sides of her approach. Dany has been wonder girl who sometimes makes mistakes the entire run of the show and that isn't changing. She will either get a heroic/self-sacrificing death or end up on the Iron Throne/Married to Jon as King. There's no other end for her story that makes sense.
Go back and watch the first season. She is just like her brother how everyone must bow down to her or be burnt. She is so entitled. They could go a different way but to me it seems very obvious she is becoming more and more cruel as she ages.

bigedole

Go back and watch the first season. She is just like her brother how everyone must bow down to her or be burnt. She is so entitled. They could go a different way but to me it seems very obvious she is becoming more and more cruel as she ages.

Agree to disagree I guess, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing lol

Good episode, but certainly not great. The writing still feels like season 7. The reunions I've been waiting for all happened this episode - every single one - and every single one of them disappointed. To have had such little emotional impact with so many moments that could've been the big moments of other episodes brings me to the sad realisation that Game of Thrones is going to limp to the finish line. I'm just here for the spectacle now, the electric character driven drama died in dumpster fire of the previous season. #TeamNightKing.

Well, we still have at least one fan-service item left in the Clegane-Bowl. Not seeing a situation currently where that will happen.

I thought the episode was pretty slow, but necessary to set things up. There was a point where I was ready to throw something at my TV regarding Bran/Sam with peanut butter in their mouths about revealing to Jon his lineage, but then it finally happened.

And then Arya saying Sansa is the smartest person she knows. I know she doesn’t know what the viewer does but come on.

bitbydeath

And then Arya saying Sansa is the smartest person she knows. I know she doesn’t know what the viewer does but come on.

I figured there was sarcasm in that statement because nobody respects Sansa.

She still comes off as a bratty child who wants to marry her Prince and live happily ever after... IMO

Kenpachii

Liked the episode. more slow paced and more chill. Not the teleporter type of episodes of season 7.

It's clear to me on how they handled sam / danny and john they are going to ditch danny or clash with her. I could see her die the next episode or a conflict that's going to start where dragons refuse to move with danny or something. It's clear they shoe horned that dragon scene in to make them used towards john for take over.

Sansa is now in her end game. She got steamed ready for all the seasons to be the ultimate little finger but with power that is probably going to hedge a even further conflict between danny and the snows which was already something we saw in the upcoming trailer.

The castle is a perfect place tho to kill everything off next episode that they don't want to use anymore.

Nice episode.

Grinchy

Banned
I hope nothing big happens because I can't watch until tomorrow and spoilers come out 0.00001 seconds after the episode airs. Can't even check my email without yahoo telling me something about Jon Snow.

DKehoe

A theory I've thought about. We've seen that spiral symbol the army of the dead have left behind since the pilot episode. Also saw it in season 6 when Bran sees the Night King's "birth." There was pattern of stones the same way in the pattern where the corpses were laid out in the pilot episode, and then in season 8 episode 1 with the body parts pinned to the wall.

Some think this is just "their symbol" and it won't have importance, but I think it will. Chronologically to the story, the first time it's revealed is season 6. I'm guessing it's some ritualistic symbol of the Children of the Forest. So why does The Night King/army of the dead keep leaving this behind? I'm guessing it's a hint to their goal, the one major reveal we've yet to discover. My feeling is The Night King wants to return to ground zero of when he was turned, where it all began. Maybe there's something there that can break the spell or there is a settlement of Children still living there that he can wipe out once and for all.

I even read one theory that the place he was turned(theorized to be the God's Eye) may be the main source of magic for the realm. That all the magic in the show, the "Lord of Light" resurrecting people, the Weirdwood trees supplying power, the White Walkers and their magic, etc. It all flows back to that one spot. And maybe the Night King wants to go there and destroy the magic source of the realm to either turn them all back to humans, or to prevent anything wicked from happening again in the future, and end the use of magic for all eternity.

I'm hoping it'll be something elaborate and they don't just turn the Night King into some cookie cutter villain who wants to kill everyone, that would be so lame.

Thirdly, the fact that the White Walker spiral is coming to the fore once again is extremely notable. This is something that has dogged the series since the beginning and it begs the question, as to what it symbolises and who it is meant for. Why exactly is the Night King coming south? What is his intention? What is it he seeks exactly?

If you guys are interested the writer of that last episode talked a little bit about the symbol in an interview with The New York Post

Him talking about it openly like this makes me think it won't led to some big reveal but is more just background info about The White Walkers. Here's the quote (I'm spoiler tagging it in case anyone wants to avoid reading it):

As we saw with Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven, the spiral pattern was sacred to the Children of the Forest, who created the Night King by sacrificing a captured man in a spiral “henge of stones.” The Night King then adopted the symbol as a sort of blasphemy, like Satan with the upside-down cross.

dcll

Banned
Got is one of the best shows ever but man they could do without the dragon riding scenes, so cheesy. It looks bad now and it will for sure age bad

Jon Neu

Banned
Show banned: (duration pending) sexualization of minors.

HBO going to catch some shit online for that.

Well, the actress is an adult.

The first half of the episode was a bit shakey, but the last half was awesome. Really loved how everybody was preparing for the big battle while remembering how all started.

The Jenny of Oldstones song is amazing.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Well, the actress is an adult.

The first half of the episode was a bit shakey, but the last half was awesome. Really loved how everybody was preparing for the big battle while remember how all started.

The Jenny of Oldstones song is amazing.

I know she’s 22 IRL but Arrya is not 18, plus it looked to me like she was wearing a bodysuit.

manfestival

Felt like this service was too much fan service and filler when we have such little time left hopefully nothing is rushed later on as a result of this

Jon Neu

Banned
I know she’s 22 IRL but Arrya is not 18, plus it looked to me like she was wearing a bodysuit.

Yeah, obviously Arya is a minor. But so is Dany in the books.

We've seen before in the show how you can go to a brothel and fuck with minors. Is just the world they live in.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This episode stalled out for the most part. The plot didn't advance much, and there were only a handful of meaningful interactions. Brienne's moment resonated but not much else. Theon and Sansa, maybe, but Sansa is so often insincere and has so little range of expression that I can't connect with whatever it is she's experiencing.

The lack of book material to adapt is glaringly obvious. Tormund likes Brienne and boasting. Tyrion is now an idiot. Dany is smug and indignant. Sansa is smug and devious. Arya likes murder and Gendry. Bran is a tree. Jaime is a good guy now. All the character moments reinforce these broad strokes attributes without detail or nuance. That would all be fine if the plot moved forward, but since it didn't, it came off as a waste of precious little remaining time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This was better than last week. I still feel like Bran is underused though, and didn't really get the kind of character closure that everyone else is getting. Hell, Bran didn't even have any tactical or strategic value. He still can't be bothered to explain to even one person what he is, what he sees, what happened during the Long Night when the Night King was beaten last time, or literally anything aside from sitting there like a stump. Tyrion is still being underused and it doesn't feel like he's come full circle in any way, or gained some new insight or closure.

Arya's finally being humanized a little bit. Jamie had a ton of character moments. Jon had good moments with his Night's Watch brothers, and in the crypt. Sansa has been actually good all season long, which shocks me. Brienne had a great moment. Dany is still mostly unlikable, and they rushed her biggest realization at the end without any emotional input from her. Davos is basically the same guy no matter what. Little bit of new lore for Giant's Bane was a little interesting. Not a single shot of the dragons, or any kind of emotional or strategic input from Dany on anything.

Decent episode, but not what I expected from one of the last 6. This is going to be the biggest rush job ever.

This episode stalled out for the most part. The plot didn't advance much, and there were only a handful of meaningful interactions. Brienne's moment resonated but not much else. Theon and Sansa, maybe, but Sansa is so often insincere and has so little range of expression that I can't connect with whatever it is she's experiencing.

The lack of book material to adapt is glaringly obvious. Tormund likes Brienne and boasting. Tyrion is now an idiot. Dany is smug and indignant. Sansa is smug and devious. Arya likes murder and Gendry. Bran is a tree. Jaime is a good guy now. All the character moments reinforce these broad strokes attributes without detail or nuance. That would all be fine if the plot moved forward, but since it didn't, it came off as a waste of precious little remaining time.

Dany is the worst honestly. She is arrogant and single minded. She gave 0 fucks about banging her family but was pissed at the fact that he has the claim.

Then the scene with Dany and Sansa she (Dany) was all friendly until there was a hint of a possible issue and then she rips her hand away instead of massaging the situation to gain loyalty.

I personally hope she gets the Night Kings spear thru the eye.

Hell let them all die. Then let the final episode be the dead killing everything in Kings Landing and leaving the iron islands as the last survivors of the conflict.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dany is the worst honestly. She is arrogant and single minded. She gave 0 fucks about banging her family but was pissed at the fact that he has the claim.

Then the scene with Dany and Sansa she (Dany) was all friendly until there was a hint of a possible issue and then she rips her hand away instead of massaging the situation to gain loyalty.

I personally hope she gets the Night Kings spear thru the eye.

Hell let them all die. Then let the final episode be the dead killing everything in Kings Landing and leaving the iron islands as the last survivors of the conflict.

Yep, Dany has zero diplomacy, charisma, leadership, or gravitas. She blames Tyrion for giving her bad council, which Sansa rightly notes that she shouldn't be following blindly regardless.

Yep, Dany has zero diplomacy, charisma, leadership, or gravitas. She blames Tyrion for giving her bad council, which Sansa rightly notes that she shouldn't be following blindly regardless.

Yup. I caught that dig as well. She is not one I find Like able or even an honorable ruler. She had to buy her army and she happens to have dragons. It’s everyone she surrounds herself with that’s like able and honorable. She carries none of those traits. It’s frustrating because I’m not sure if it’s really how she is meant to be or if it is the writing or acting on the show. I’m only on book 2 so I can’t make a direct comparison.

And I don’t see jon wanting to rule so he would probably accept the north and let her have the rest. But she’s probably too arrogant to even accept that. If she was smart she would take that offer to keep him off the throne.

Jon Neu

Banned
Hell, Bran didn't even have any tactical or strategic value.

He is going to be the decoy to make the Night King vulnerable, I don't know how that is not tactical or strategical value.

Tyrion is still being underused and it doesn't feel like he's come full circle in any way, or gained some new insight or closure.

Tyrion in this episode was the best Tyrion since season 4, but I still feel he has a plan that has not been revealed yet.

Decent episode, but not what I expected from one of the last 6. This is going to be the biggest rush job ever.

Well, I don't know what people expect. There is going to be a big battle, a lot of people is going to die, then they will deal with the aftermath and a new era will be born.

There's not much else to tell, history wise.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yup. I caught that dig as well. She is not one I find Like able or even an honorable ruler. She had to buy her army and she happens to have dragons. It’s everyone she surrounds herself with that’s like able and honorable. She carries none of those traits. It’s frustrating because I’m not sure if it’s really how she is meant to be or if it is the writing or acting on the show. I’m only on book 2 so I can’t make a direct comparison.

And I don’t see jon wanting to rule so he would probably accept the north and let her have the rest. But she’s probably too arrogant to even accept that. If she was smart she would take that offer to keep him off the throne.
I still haven't figured out what "having the north" even means honestly. Do they send King's Landing money? Food? Warriors? Seems like the benefit of Dany having the north is pretty much nothing.
Well, I don't know what people expect. There is going to be a big battle, a lot of people is going to die, then they will deal with the aftermath and a new era will be born.

There's not much else to tell, history wise.
I was expecting "The Long Night 2," not "The terrible evening." I expected years of battles to beat back the white walkers, let alone finalize the ownership of the Iron Throne.

Last edited:

I still haven't figured out what "having the north" even means honestly. Do they send King's Landing money? Food? Warriors? Seems like the benefit of Dany having the north is pretty much nothing.

I think mostly warriors and a defensive outpost. Ned still reported to Robert and left to serve him.

She is too arrogant to not have people follow her. She could have worked with Sansa to fulfill something to their liking in order to gain small amounts of trust. She wants to come out of no where and just have people blindly swear allegiance with no effort on her part. Sure she is there fighting for “Jon” but she would have to deal with the walkers when they made it down south anyways.

Jon Neu

Banned

I'm pretty sure becoming an independent kingdom is very different from pretty much every point of view.

All the Starks would be alive if the North was independent at the beginning of the story.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Vassal state vs independent. As part of the Seven Kingdoms, the North would be under direct command of the Iron Throne, pay taxes, and be responsible for taking part in its wars and defense. An independent North would do its own thing.

Dany talks of breaking the wheel and freedom, but she sure seems indignant about anyone refusing to kowtow to her.

Smoke6

This was better than last week. I still feel like Bran is underused though, and didn't really get the kind of character closure that everyone else is getting. Hell, Bran didn't even have any tactical or strategic value. He still can't be bothered to explain to even one person what he is, what he sees, what happened during the Long Night when the Night King was beaten last time, or literally anything aside from sitting there like a stump. Tyrion is still being underused and it doesn't feel like he's come full circle in any way, or gained some new insight or closure.

Arya's finally being humanized a little bit. Jamie had a ton of character moments. Jon had good moments with his Night's Watch brothers, and in the crypt. Sansa has been actually good all season long, which shocks me. Brienne had a great moment. Dany is still mostly unlikable, and they rushed her biggest realization at the end without any emotional input from her. Davos is basically the same guy no matter what. Little bit of new lore for Giant's Bane was a little interesting. Not a single shot of the dragons, or any kind of emotional or strategic input from Dany on anything.

You nailed it!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
xV3N6yY.jpg

Jon Neu

Banned
Years of training with the 3ER just to be bait? Seems kind of silly. He can command animals and study all of existing history. You'd think he'd have a little more to contribute than sitting in the garden.

The Night King killed a dragon with a spear, what animal is Bran going to bring to the battle?

And Bran "wasn't ready" to begin with, he made a mistake and the Night King marked him when he wasn't fully trained yet. He is still pretty much an apprentice against the Night King, who just happens to have been around for centuries.

I'm sure he is going to be more than a simple decoy because he is a natural talented skinchanger and greenseer, but he is still a child.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I like the overall feeling of "this is the end.", not just for the characters in the story, indeed Westeros itself, but for the show as well.

The Arya scene made me feel creepy.

I know Arya is 18, the actress 22. But we have watched her grow up, like a sibling of ours or something.

I don’t have an issue with her laying with her man. But perhaps not show her disrobing?

I like the episode otherwise.

Top Bottom