• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

I don't have to tell myself anything, the scene was filmed with her, with a lot of witnesses.

The fact that you can't believe it's her body because you have some kind of trauma, it's not my business.
Trauma? What are you on about?
Look, if you need to believe that it's Maisie Williams to get your rocks off at night, then believe what you want.

But anyone with a brain sees the composition of the shots and knows exactly what's up.

Jon Neu

Banned
Trauma? What are you on about?
Look, if you need to believe that it's Maisie Williams to get your rocks off at night, then believe what you want.

But anyone with a brain sees the composition of the shots and knows exactly what's up.

I don't have to believe anything, I just looked at it. She also talked about it and how the scene went, how everybody tried to not look at her naked and how the director told her what to do. But I guess she is lying because it's humanly impossible that she has that body, right?

If you think they wasted CGI budget to insert a body double because you can't believe that's her body for some kind of fucked up reason in your head, that's fine.

Ridiculously stupid, but fine. People have the right to be stupidly dense.

I don't have to believe anything, I just looked at it. She also talked about it and how the scene went, how everybody tried to not look at her naked and how the director told her what to do. But I guess she is lying because it's humanly impossible that she has that body, right?

If you think they wasted CGI budget to insert a body double because you can't believe that's her body for some kind of fucked up reason in your head, that's fine.

Ridiculously stupid, but fine. People have the right to be stupidly dense.
Okay, you're showing your age here (CGI? lol). Do yourself a favor and educate yourself by looking up the process of filming body doubles.

Or continue to live in ignorance while jerking off to body doubles. Doesn't matter to me either way. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Settle down ppl.

It was her ok, as confirmed in her interview.
I never denied that she was naked on set (likely with pasties - hence the reason the close-up shots are cut off directly above her nipples). I was replying to, SPECIFICALLY, the side-boob shot being a body double before I got pounced on by Maisie William's #1 fan over there.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Okay, you're showing your age here (CGI? lol). Do yourself a favor and educate yourself by looking up the process of filming body doubles.

Or continue to live in ignorance while jerking off to body doubles. Doesn't matter to me either way. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We see Arya's face all the time while she is getting naked. Please, expain to me how you can make a body double with the same exact face of the actress without restorting to CGI. Enlighten me, please.

Because thats what they made with Cersei and her walk of shame, it was Lena's head CGI'ed into the body of a double. And you see, they admitted that it was a double, both the show and the actress. But I guess now they are lying, right? It has to be that they are lying, there's no other possible explanation!

And you sure seem to be obsessed with jerking off.

Kadayi

Banned
I never denied that she was naked on set (likely with pasties). I was replying to, SPECIFICALLY, the side-boob shot being a body double before I got pounced on by Maisie William's #1 fan over there.

It doesn't sound like it was though, based on the interview, and what was agreed upon with the writers as to how the scene would play out. If the actress wasn't entirely comfortable doing it they'd have just not filmed it beyond the kiss and probably the post-coital scene.

Because thats what they made with Cersei and her walk of shame, it was Lena's head CGI'ed into the body of a double. And you see, they admitted that it was a double, both the show and the actress. But I guess now they are lying, right? It has to be that they are lying, there's no other possible explanation!

They did that because Lena Headey was pregnant at the time IIRC. Not sure whether she'd have done the walk herself otherwise though because it would be asking a lot though given the number of people on set.

Last edited:

bigedole

im gonna say jamie as well

My take:

Almost definitely dead (at some point before the end of the show, maybe not at Winterfell) - Jaime, Beric, Jorah, Theon, Hound, Varys, Cersei, Bran, Tormund, Melisandre
Could go either way - Jon/Aegon, Greyworm, Arya, Brienne, Tyrion, Davos, Bronn, Gilly
Almost definitely alive - Dany, Sansa, Missandei, Gendry, Sam

That's everyone considered "Main Cast". What do you guys think? Any names you'd move around?

TheUsual

Gold Member
My take:

Almost definitely dead (at some point before the end of the show, maybe not at Winterfell) - Jaime, Beric, Jorah, Theon, Hound, Varys, Cersei, Bran, Tormund, Melisandre
Could go either way - Jon/Aegon, Greyworm, Arya, Brienne, Tyrion, Davos, Bronn, Gilly

That's everyone considered "Main Cast". What do you guys think? Any names you'd move around?
I'm getting the vibes Dany is gonna die and probably from someone alive. Her character has been really bland lately and it looks like they're turning her into a mad queen with her obsession with the Iron Throne.

Jon Neu

Banned
It doesn't sound like it was though, based on the interview, and what was agreed upon with the writers as to how the scene would play out. If the actress wasn't entirely comfortable doing it they'd have just not filmed it beyond the kiss and probably the post-coital scene.

The writers literally let her decide how much she wanted to show. They would never care about it if it was a body double, because then it wouldn't be Maisie's body.

But it can't be real, she can't have an average good looking body. That's not possible for a young female.

bigedole

I'm getting the vibes Dany is gonna die and probably from someone alive. Her character has been really bland lately and it looks like they're turning her into a mad queen with her obsession with the Iron Throne.

I still don't agree with this take. The Iron Throne has been her character from day 1, that + dragons. She's still trying to make nice with everyone and look at a bigger picture. My hunch is she will be left alive as ruler of ashes, which I think is a fitting end to her arc, or yield to Jon as King.

Kadayi

Banned
My take:

Honestly, I don't know. I would hope that Sam & Gilly survive so they can recount events at the end to an incredulous Hotpie at the Inn in the final episode, but beyond that, I think everyone is potentially under the knife at this point in time.

For those about to die, I salute you for the entertainment you've bought me over the years.

Last edited:

dan76

... that was a poor episode last night. I was hoping the battle would at least start but it was another "reunion" show. Last weeks opener was good, this was more of the same. 4 episodes to go and this is what they spend time on? Still, next week is where we should start thinning out the herd.

I also thought one of the shots of Aria looked weird, but me and the gf were watching that through our hands as it was so damn awful.

Kadayi

Banned
... that was a poor episode last night. I was hoping the battle would at least start but it was another "reunion" show. Last weeks opener was good, this was more of the same. 4 episodes to go and this is what they spend time on? Still, next week is where we should start thinning out the herd.

I also thought one of the shots of Aria looked weird, but me and the gf were watching that through our hands as it was so damn awful.

82 minutes apparently and the longest battle scene filmed so far. Entire episode is going to be this: -

tenor.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Gonna stock up on tissues

bigedole

It's weird to me to complain about the battle not starting. GoT has always been a character driven-drama focused show, first and foremost. Only with the last 2 seasons did significant attention get paid to creating these great battles. I loved all the character interactions and take it as the shows last attempt to foreshadow/show where everyone is at in their relationships. I do agree with Evilore that it's clear the writers are struggling since running out of book material, it's clearly less subtle/clever than the earlier seasons, but it's still good and I think will prove to be successful in lending emotional weight to what is about to come.

eot

Banned
I liked it more than Ep 1 of the season, the dialogue was a lot better I thought. I get that they can't put the battle earlier than Ep 3, but having two slow build up episodes in a season with just 6 episodes feels strange, because you can't help but think of how little is left. Anyway, Bran aka most boring character in the show killed it for once. The fireside chat took up a little too much screen time IMO, it wasn't heartwarming enough to justify it.

Not super looking forward to the battle episode though, aside from Blackwater I think they tend to be boring. I didn't like the battle at the wall, or the battle of the bastards, they put me to sleep. This one might be better since I expect them to eat shit. I guess both Jon and Dany will survive, since they need to squeeze more drama out of the R+L=J thing, but Grey Worm is dead for sure. I wonder how the rest will make it out of there though. Maybe they barely hold off the walkers with major losses, only to realize most of the army went somewhere else.

edit: oh and I thought Jenny of Oldstones was a nice touch for book readers

Also, Tyrion continues to suck, but that was also true in the books (ADwD)

Last edited:
Again, the composition of the shots is a dead giveaway. Obscured face in a nude wide shot? There's a very good chance that's a double. Also, she specifically states she didn't want to flash the camera yet the side-boob shot has nipple anyway so...

Whatever, you guys are free to believe what you want. We've taken up enough space in the OT for this crap :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Jon Neu

Banned
Obscured face in a nude wide shot?

That scene had the same light as any other scene inside Winterfell with candles (the Brienne scene becoming a knight had the same exact light, for example). Winter has come, there isn't that much sunlight anymore and they rely on candles. That's why everything is so dark all the time.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's weird to me to complain about the battle not starting. GoT has always been a character driven-drama focused show, first and foremost. Only with the last 2 seasons did significant attention get paid to creating these great battles. I loved all the character interactions and take it as the shows last attempt to foreshadow/show where everyone is at in their relationships. I do agree with Evilore that it's clear the writers are struggling since running out of book material, it's clearly less subtle/clever than the earlier seasons, but it's still good and I think will prove to be successful in lending emotional weight to what is about to come.

Pretty much. I'd also add that I think one of the other reasons it probably feels a bit weird/slow compared to normal is that it's the entire story has essentially narrowed down to Winterfell. There is no switching between characters in different geographic areas like there usually is. So it feels a bit "smaller".

That being said the next 4 episodes are 80 mins long. So each of the next episodes will have a lot of time to advance things. I expect the entire battle will take place and end during the next episode. Then you'd have three 80 min episodes to sow up the end.

manfestival

Hahaha, what?

How in the world you can draw any different conclusion after watching the 7 seasons of the show? Or even reading the books?

The show was always about the human heart in conflict with itself.
Then why don't you respond to the guy I was actually responding that apparently genuinely was not expecting that. I was expecting Winter and War but the entire show clearly isn't just that.

honestly nothing has really happened these past two eps. plus all the acting feels very wooden and off character for the majority of them. very little plot advancement. I guess its due to having no detailed source material and very little actual story arcs going on. they know they have these two battles as the key plot points (dany learning of snow being aegon could be one i guess). so theres not much else that needs doing.. and I think it comes down to the characters actually have nothing to do other than wait for battle... and thats exactly what the viewers have to do as well. just sit around and wait.

arya love scene... felt so forced. there has been so little to that "love" story, that it feels like it was just reignited in eps 1 briefly and then she uses him on their first date. their passion during the scene for each other was unfounded. should have been more awkward

Last edited:
honestly nothing has really happened these past two eps. plus all the acting feels very wooden and off character for the majority of them. very little plot advancement. I guess its due to having no detailed source material and very little actual story arcs going on. they know they have these two battles as the key plot points (dany learning of snow being aegon could be one i guess). so theres not much else that needs doing.. and I think it comes down to the characters actually have nothing to do other than wait for battle... and thats exactly what the viewers have to do as well. just sit around and wait.

arya love scene... felt so forced. there has been so little to that "love" story, that it feels like it was just reignited in eps 1 briefly and then she uses him on their first date. their passion during the scene for each other was unfounded. should have been more awkward
That was less about love and more about her just wanting to fuck before she dies which I bet everyone here in GAF would probably do the same I know I would

Kadayi

Banned
I think slower episodes up front is great. These characters are meeting up for the first time in years as they're all facing their deaths at Winterfell.

Agreed there's every chance that most of these characters are going to die tragic and horrible deaths next episode, so I'm happy to see them get in some choice interactions and a bit of closure before we say goodbye to them forever. The thing I keep thinking about the most is the first trailer is Arya running terrified through Winterfell, and just how bad things are likely to go, for even her to lose her composure so much.

We're probably not getting any 'kiss me hardy' Nelson like deathbed scenes in the middle of the action versus people just getting outright savaged to death ala Hardhome and lots of this: -

ThoughtfulWiltedBluefish-small.gif

From all and sundry.

I really can’t imagine the entire war taking place entirely in Winterfell I feel like they will have to retreat at some point

bigedole

I really can’t imagine the entire war taking place entirely in Winterfell I feel like they will have to retreat at some point

If I had to guess, Winterfell is fucked. A contingent will escape and make their way south, there'll be drama with Cersei and she(+ Euron) will be killed somehow and then humanity makes their last stand around KL and wins with some tearjerking fantasy fuckery. Who knows who's left in the aftermath and what's around to rule over.

Fbh

It was ok but a bit slow, IMO these first 2 chapters could have probably been combined into a single 80 min episode.
Remembering how the red wedding episode flowed, it was also pretty lighthearted and even comedic at times before it all went to hell, so I was half expecting something bad to happen towards the end, but I guess next episode will have that covered.

-I'm hoping there's more to Bran's plan than he is saying. Because with a massive number advantage and some magic GPS on Bran, the night King would be dumb to expose himself personally when he can just have his minions do the job.

- While I dislike her, Daenerys has a point. With her looks and dragons she is undoubtedly a Targaryen. Jon Snow's claim to his true identity and to the throne is basically "because my best friend and my magic brother say so"

- They are obviously not going to be the only ones to die but both Jamie and Theon now have the biggest death flags ever in this show

- The Arya scene wasn't that bad. Yeah we have seen her grow up but she is an adult and ultimately doing something natural. The fact she went from running for her life to being a top tier fighter from one episode to the other with not much explanation is way more distracting

ruvikx

Banned
I want the white walkers to trick Winterfell by sending a smaller force & deliberately lose (like Robb Stark did all the way back in season 1 when he captured Jaime), then attack the Iron Islands using full force (hello? A dragon which breaths ice could effectively create a bridge across the water... like Alexander the Great did in Tyre one-upon-a-time).. whilst Winterfell wrongly believe they've been victorious. I then want to see the white walkers attack King's Landing with ships & effectively catch the north in a pincer movement. Because that would be the unexpected thing to do. Attacking Winterfell meanwhile seems so generic & horribly predictable in a clichéd sense.

We also need some drama between the Iron Throne candidates because that's also what this show is about. So far, season 8 has been very mundane. Jaime also cannot die "heroically" in the next episode because that would also be... predictable. Just like Jon renouncing his claim to the Throne in favour of Daenerys. The latter hasn't ever earned the right to rule, she just believes it's her birthright. Game of Thrones is an inherently anti-totalitarian show & therefor, cannot allow anyone to end as a "winner" & divine monarch of sorts. Even a feminist power fantasy hasn't earned that right.

manfestival

It was ok but a bit slow, IMO these first 2 chapters could have probably been combined into a single 80 min episode.
Remembering how the red wedding episode flowed, it was also pretty lighthearted and even comedic at times before it all went to hell, so I was half expecting something bad to happen towards the end, but I guess next episode will have that covered.

-I'm hoping there's more to Bran's plan than he is saying. Because with a massive number advantage and some magic GPS on Bran, the night King would be dumb to expose himself personally when he can just have his minions do the job.

- While I dislike her, Daenerys has a point. With her looks and dragons she is undoubtedly a Targaryen. Jon Snow's claim to his true identity and to the throne is basically "because my best friend and my magic brother say so"

- They are obviously not going to be the only ones to die but both Jamie and Theon now have the biggest death flags ever in this show

- The Arya scene wasn't that bad. Yeah we have seen her grow up but she is an adult and ultimately doing something natural. The fact she went from running for her life to being a top tier fighter from one episode to the other with not much explanation is way more distracting
Yep you are approaching this to how I felt. It was nice getting the warm and fuzzies but it felt like there could have been a more effective use of time here since we only have so much time left in the show. I just hope this doesn't lead to rushed scenes in the upcoming episodes.

I feel the direction has struggled since the story continued beyond the books. Also, I personally feel it has become a little more predictable and less shocking.

Jon Neu

Banned
I really loved how Bryan Cogman (the director of the episode) said that the episode was a love letter to this characters while trying so hard to not burst out in tears.

I really felt the episode showed the humanity of this characters, or I would say it bring back the humanity of those characters that started to feel a little bit incoherent some time ago. The episode did a wonderful job of being the ominous night before the end of the world, with the impending apocalypse upon their heads bringing the best and most sincere emotions of every character in a time where there is not time for anything else. The Brienne scene perfectly encapsulates that feeling of camaraderie between people of all sides that once tried to kill each other but now can sit together, share a cup of wine and crack jokes about their probably incoming death.

This is not filler, this is what the show needed the most.

Raynes

What an abysmal episode. This was the antithesis of what Game of Thrones is about, and George went out of his way to go subert the tropes in normie fantasy stories like LOTR, but here we have them all out and proud. I don't watch GOT that "warm and fuzzy" feeling, I watch it to see the realities of conflict, both within and externally. Sure, show us how characters want to spend their last moments, but don't drag it out for a whole episode in your last season and turn it into a fucking musical. The only time this would be justified if there is immediately followed by a tragic twist in the very same episode like in Red Wedding. It was such a cringey episode. Does anyone actually care about Grey Worm and Missandei? If so why? Arya is just an unbelievable and unlikable character, Maisie Williams is a shit actor and Maisie is all I see in Arya, not Arya. This is precisely true with Daenerys and Emilia Clarke. Even those two started off well in the first season, but as the seasons progressed you could see them bringing in more of their own horrid personalities into the mix instead of staying in character. It's like they took their characters becoming more confident as cue to be themselves. I think these two need to take notes from better actors like Sophie Turner, Sophie is a very convincing Sansa.

It was such a boring episode, no source material means this show is dead inside. I'm glad it's ending, I just want to see how George wanted to end this shit that he has no intention of finishing himself.

3/10

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is precisely true with Daenerys and Emilia Clarke. Even those two started off well in the first season, but as the seasons progressed you could see them bringing in more of their own horrid personalities into the mix instead of staying in character. It's like they took their characters becoming more confident as cue to be themselves. I think these two need to take notes from better actors like Sophie Turner, Sophie is a very convincing Sansa.

Emilia Clarke's a charmer and an ultra-expressive goofball. I don't think any of it is self-insert. She doesn't even use her eyebrow powers as Dany.

eot

Banned
(hello? A dragon which breaths ice could effectively create a bridge across the water... like Alexander the Great did in Tyre one-upon-a-time)
It it breathed ice it wouldn't have melted a wall of ice

Arya is just an unbelievable and unlikable character, Maisie Williams is a shit actor and Maisie is all I see in Arya, not Arya.

I agree with this part, I don't like her acting

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
This was the antithesis of what Game of Thrones is about

and turn it into a fucking musical

You know this show is based on a a series of books called "A Song Of Ice & Fire", right?

Books in which songs not only are important, they are literally the memory of the world.

I'm sure the show still has another song for the ending, probably with the title of "A Song Of Ice & Fire". And maybe it's going to be sang for more than 20 seconds like Podrick did in this episode. So brace yourself, it's going to make you feel like you are watching La La Land or something!

June

The last episode is the kind of episode I would love if the writing was better. But a lot of the characters don't feel as true anymore and everything is occurring at such a fast pace that there's not enough time for proper reaction and consequences. For instance Jaime, the dude who killed Dany's father, being accepted into the walls after a short conversation, and allowed to freely roam around? And how many character reunions have we witnessed in the space of two episodes? The revelation to Dany about Jon only getting a short reaction shot?

The show is still enjoyable and all but the quality of season 1-4 has long dissipated, and that fact is always in the back of my mind when watching these new eps.

Reactions: eot
Speculation time?

Nothing shown of King's Landing or Euron or the Golden Company. Also, the Night King and his dragon were not present at the undead battle lines.

It'd be wise for the Night King to not be where all the things that can potentially kill him (and thereby end the war) are, and he has mobility. Raze King's Landing? Cersei has to remain in play, though, so probably not yet. It's unlikely he exposes himself unnecessarily, though.

We had such a sentimental build-up here that I expect The Battle of Winterfell to end up a total loss for the living. Jon and Dany may both survive to scoop up some of the Fellowship and other key players for a final battle in the south. It's possible one of the live dragons dies in this battle, though, and the last living dragon dies in the final defense of the south. Dragons are trump cards, and right now Team Living has more of them. That has to change.

There's still another Miguel Sapochnik episode after next week's (episode 5), which probably involves the Iron Fleet and the Golden Company. There's also Melisandre who went to Essos to bring back probably a bunch of Red Priests et al. The remnants of the north and all the power of the south and essos vs the army of the dead. Jon sacrifices.

Ep 3 the heroes are totally fucked. Ep 5 for the final battle that transforms Westeros. I expect the Iron Throne to get melted by dragon fire one way or another.

Hmm I have also heard other folks speculate this could be the case. NK goes to wreck Kings Landing and add to his army. Winterfell gets decimated by the rest of his army + new dead army from the Winterfell crypts. Those who survive Winterfell (including Jon) retreat to the Iron Islands and regroup.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I think Brienne will die next episode. Maybe a few other characters like the Hound and Theon. Jaime will probably live to confront Cersei later.

Jon Neu

Banned
For instance Jaime, the dude who killed Dany's father, being accepted into the walls after a short conversation, and allowed to freely roam around?

Danny still loved Khal Drogo when he horrifically killed her brother.

Danny knows perfectly that his father was a crazy psychopath and that killing him prevented the death of thousands.

She didn't really cared about her father, she was just testing if Jaime was trustworthy, and Brienne make the case for him with the help of Sansa.

And how many character reunions have we witnessed in the space of two episodes?

Well, that's what happens when characters that haven't seen each other for years come to the same place.

I mean, I don't know what literally people expected?

Last edited:

Raynes

Emilia Clarke's a charmer and an ultra-expressive goofball. I don't think any of it is self-insert. She doesn't even use her eyebrow powers as Dany.

Instead of becoming Daenerys, she tries to be how Emilia Clarke be if she was Daenerys rather than actually being Daenerys. A good actor is so good they just become their character and you can't really understand how the fuck they managed to do that when they're nothing like said character. The very best people in the show for this are Joffrey, Ned and Cersie. When you watch their interviews you don't really understand how they managed to bring that character to life. But with show Daenerys you can very easily see Emilia Clarke and her thought process. Watch this part of the BTS on this episode, you can clearly see how how Emilia is interpreting the events as Emilia and not Daenerys. You're not meant to act by thinking "how would I (Emilia) act if I was this character", the character is the character and it is completely separate from you and you imagine the character, not yourself. Imagine how Jack Gleeson would channel Joffrey, he's becoming Joffrey even though he says he can't relate to Joffrey in the slightest, but you can tell he understands him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom