• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The Arya scene made me feel creepy.

I know Arya is 18, the actress 22. But we have watched her grow up, like a sibling of ours or something.

I don’t have an issue with her laying with her man. But perhaps not show her disrobing?

I like the episode otherwise.
It's fine. This is the first time she's even had a slightly relaxed conversation, or done anything but murder people. It's a good thing lol.

And she doesn't want to be a child actress forever. She's 22. Time has passed. I think Harry Potter did a nude play after his movies. Child actors seem to have to go to great lengths to make everyone realize they're not kids anymore.

Last edited:

iorek21

You seem to forget that the last 4 episodes have the length of 6 normal episodes.

Still, spreading events and actually moving the plot forward (at least a little bit) would do no harm, it would actually improve the pacing, considering we're in the endgame now

It's fine. This is the first time she's even had a slightly relaxed conversation, or done anything but murder people. It's a good thing lol.

And she doesn't want to be a child actress forever. She's 22. Time has passed. I think Harry Potter did a nude play after his movies. Child actors seem to have to go to great lengths to make everyone realize they're not kids anymore.
I don’t want to see Harry’s dick neither :messenger_pouting:

Jon Neu

Banned
Still, spreading events and actually moving the plot forward (at least a little bit) would do no harm, it would actually improve the pacing, considering we're in the endgame now

I don't know what "plot" you want to move forward. I'm pretty sure if we had the battle of Winterfell in the first episode, everybody would complain that the show has become too Hollywood and rushed, missing the old times when everything had time to breath and the characters made sense as relatable human beings.

Which is exactly what is happening right now, and I'm absolutely loving it.

BlueAlpaca

The problem with Dany's character is that the show wants to make her the good guy but she's not. Danny's an entitled brat with a mercenary army willing to kill thousands and orphan thousands just to get a throne she has a 'right' to because her ancestor also slaughtered enough people to sit on it. Somewhere along the way she liberated slaves, that's nice but there are no slaves in Westeros so she's not liberating anybody. Now maybe if Cersei attacked Danny in Essos as a pre-emptive strike and Danny thought she has no choice but take out the Lannisters and perhaps replace them with a council - bring "democracy" to Westeros - then she could be a hero of sorts. I don't know, I"m not a writer, but the show doesn't do a good job with her. Now she doesn't have to be either good or bad, but a complex character with a bit of both but it's clear D&D don't have anywhere near the talent to pull that off.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Speculation time?

Nothing shown of King's Landing or Euron or the Golden Company. Also, the Night King and his dragon were not present at the undead battle lines.

It'd be wise for the Night King to not be where all the things that can potentially kill him (and thereby end the war) are, and he has mobility. Raze King's Landing? Cersei has to remain in play, though, so probably not yet. It's unlikely he exposes himself unnecessarily, though.

We had such a sentimental build-up here that I expect The Battle of Winterfell to end up a total loss for the living. Jon and Dany may both survive to scoop up some of the Fellowship and other key players for a final battle in the south. It's possible one of the live dragons dies in this battle, though, and the last living dragon dies in the final defense of the south. Dragons are trump cards, and right now Team Living has more of them. That has to change.

There's still another Miguel Sapochnik episode after next week's (episode 5), which probably involves the Iron Fleet and the Golden Company. There's also Melisandre who went to Essos to bring back probably a bunch of Red Priests et al. The remnants of the north and all the power of the south and essos vs the army of the dead. Jon sacrifices.

Ep 3 the heroes are totally fucked. Ep 5 for the final battle that transforms Westeros. I expect the Iron Throne to get melted by dragon fire one way or another.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Gee... I wonder if Theon Greyjoy is going to die? I mean, these episodes are pretty sombre as it may be the last time we'll see certain characters but Theon might as well be writing his epitaph.

I'm also suspicious of the crypts. Putting people next to the remains of dead people doesn't seem like the best idea, given that they can start a World War Z chain reaction if a White Walker or Night King gets there. Speaking of the Night King, if I were him I'd just send a token army to pin Winterfell down and bypass them for King's Landing.

A giant undead army from the North would pale to all the dead you could raise in the South. I don't think they burn bodies like the Wildlings and given all the dead recently plus the million or so at Kings Landing, I know where I'd be raising an army.

Last edited:

pr0cs

I liked the episode but agree that the fanservice feels a bit late considering how close we are to the end.
There were some really good parts though, Jamie finally feels like Jamie in the books, him going back to his sister in season 6-7 just felt so fundamentally wrong compared to the redemption arc that he should have had with losing his hand.
I seriously lol'd when Bran said "the things we do for love", for me his actor really has been killing it this season, he's suitably creepy and cool at the same time. Agree though that they should have had a scene with him explaining what happened to him tho

bitbydeath

Good episode but it just felt like more of episode one. I hope this next battle isn’t over too quickly like battles previously on this show. They should have got the Vikings crew to show them how large battles should be handled.

Jon Neu

Banned
Good episode but it just felt like more of episode one. I hope this next battle isn’t over too quickly like battles previously on this show. They should have got the Vikings crew to show them how large battles should be handled.

If you think the battle of the bastards was quick, I don't know what else to tell you.

Well, yes; that the battle of Winterfell is going to be the longest battle on a TV or Movie ever, longer than the ones on Lord Of the Rings.

bitbydeath

If you think the battle of the bastards was quick, I don't know what else to tell you.

Well, yes; that the battle of Winterfell is going to be the longest battle on a TV or Movie ever, longer than the ones on Lord Of the Rings.

It was quick compared to Vikings standards.

Kenpachii

Worst episode.

Jamie felt rushed and completely unreal how they handled it.

John snow felt like he didn't even wanted to be there this episode.

Danny is getting side lined big time, it's clear she's going to die or they want to ditch her. As her role is kinda void atm. John took her claim, john is the guy everybody loves, him taking the throne would also make sense on every level. Sansa is basically danny 2.0 now that can rule the north. Danny's army is most likely going to die next two eposides and the remains will probably join john, because what else can they do.

So the only thing that she got left is dragons? one will probably die with the AA artillery nightwalkers spears. Which results in john having one dragon left that with the setup of the first episode probably will move him with some left over cast back into cersei castle.

Basically its clear they wanna kill danny off she aint going to make it.

Then the Arya part was straight up creepy, they could have left that out. as we all saw her grow up. But guess they needed there edgy 2 minutes they always seem to slam in any episode.

Sansa by far the best character so far in this season, she basically is danny 2.0 and felt more like danny then danny herself.

I liked the slow and chill start of the first eposide. however for the second episode it just felt like they got nothing to tell anymore other then 2 clashes and be done with it. It could have been handled far better and already moving into clashes. Either its budget they have issue's with or simple they are out of content and just want to spend all the money on the last two episodes.

WIth the trailer at the end for episode 3, i don't even think winterfall will be completely overrun in that episode. It will be overrun on the fact that we saw in a earlier season the iron throne room being destroyed which means the army is going to pass winterfall. So the clash will go into episode 4.

That makes episode 4 travling towards cersei with the remains to make a final stand there, episode 5 and 6 will the the final clash then.

Best part was the giant story by that ginger.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
It was quick compared to Vikings standards.

I doubt it.

Also, I doubt Vikings has the same production budget, so having long regular battles for the sake of it, doesn't seem that fun.

Jamie felt rushed and completely unreal how they handled it.

John snow felt like he didn't even wanted to be there this episode.

How is it unreal?

And Jon didn't wanted to be around Dany, that's the point. He has just learned that he is in love with his aunt and that he is the legitimate heir to the throne before her.

Then the Arya part was straight up creepy, they could have left that out. as we all saw her grow up. But guess they needed there edgy 2 minutes they always seem to slam in any episode.

That scene and the scene with Beric and The Hound is the only good scene Arya has had in AGES.

She actually felt like a human bean with feels and vulnerability again instead of the incredibly boring mug face "I'm so badass you can't even challenge me" pose that she has all the time since she left Braavos.

And she has a nice ass, that's always a plus.

winterfall

Best part was the giant story by that ginger.

You seem very invested in this show.

manfestival

How is this filler?

The characters are interacting with each other in a meaningful way at the gates of a probable death.

This show was never about just battles and dragons.
How in the world do you draw the conclusion that anyone would think that after watching 7 seasons of the show? Not sure if you actually thought through your response.

JimiNutz

Banned
I missed the first 15 mins so not sure if I missed anything big but this episode seemed like another one with mostly filler. I appreciate that they're setting things up but they now only have 4 episodes left!

I knew that this would be a set up episode because next week is the first of the longer episodes and I'm expecting a huge battle for Winterfell but it's still a little disappointing that we only get 6 episodes to wrap up the story and 2 of those have mostly been uneventful now.

Hopefully the ending doesn't feel rushed after the slower pace of these first two episodes.

bitbydeath

I doubt it.

Also, I doubt Vikings has the same production budget, so having long regular battles for the sake of it, doesn't seem that fun.

It’s not for the sake of it. It’s to show a real battle. Those 3-4mins of actual battle in battle of the bastards Vikings does that level of action for 40mins.

Definitely recommend the show, it is amazing.

Manus

It’s not for the sake of it. It’s to show a real battle. Those 3-4mins of actual battle in battle of the bastardsVikings does that level of action for 40mins.

Definitely recommend the show, it is amazing.

3 to 4 minutes? Did we watch the same episode?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We know one battle is going to be the longest battle ever committed to film. Supposedly they checked and the previous record holder was Helm's Deep in LOTR Two Towers. So there will be at least one battle that's virtually the entire episode long. I think Helm's Deep was 40 minutes or so of battling continuously.

bitbydeath

We know one battle is going to be the longest battle ever committed to film. Supposedly they checked and the previous record holder was Helm's Deep in LOTR Two Towers. So there will be at least one battle that's virtually the entire episode long. I think Helm's Deep was 40 minutes or so of battling continuously.

Good, I just checked the episode I was thinking of on Netflix. Season 3 episode 8 has a battle lasting 34mins.

I don’t remember if that was their longest battle scene but I suspect it would be up there.

Edit: Looks like that should be next weeks episode.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I like these kinds of slow, build up episodes. But the problem is now I have to wait a whole week for ep3. I'm thinking about just disconnecting my internet and going into hibernation for a couple of months. I want to binge this.
Same. The wait is a killer

Airbus Jr

Banned
Wonder what happened to the Viper lady in Cersei basement? Presumed dead off screen by now ?

Last edited:
I didnt like this episode much. It was just the good guys sitting around and chatting. I wanted to see some of Cersei or the Night King.
I do really like Bran now though. It'll be very interesting to see what happens to him at the battle. Im confident that either Jon or Dany will die there. Tyrion will somehow survive.

Jon Neu

Banned
How in the world do you draw the conclusion that anyone would think that after watching 7 seasons of the show? Not sure if you actually thought through your response.

Hahaha, what?

How in the world you can draw any different conclusion after watching the 7 seasons of the show? Or even reading the books?

The show was always about the human heart in conflict with itself.

Kadayi

Banned
I enjoyed it. We got a lot more meaningful interactions building off of the previous episode and although I agree the actual plot didn't necessarily advance that much they got their ducks in line in terms of final moments together. I think the one in particular that stood out the most for me was between Missandei and Greyworm. The frank acknowledgement that despite having come to Westeros at the behest of Dany, that for them at least this was probably never a place that either would want to call home. I thought that there was something rather poignant and moving about that.

I enjoyed the scene around the fire, the Brienne getting knighted part was great, just annoyingly my pollen allergy kicked in for some reason. :messenger_medmask:

Would have liked a bit more Lady Mormont and Jorah. Mayhap there might be some extras on that when the release the Blu-ray or some such?

Did not expect Arya side bewb at all. I'm not entirely sure it was required, but I guess the actress was happy to do it, though she looked a bit underwhelmed and full of regret afterwards. Perhaps Gendry follows in his father's footsteps in that regard (harking back to Cersei's comments in the previous episode). Have to say though, seeing a much-beloved character you've followed since they were a child getting nekkid on screen is best summarised by this Gif: -

giphy.gif

Anyway, at least Jon stoned up and told Dany the truth, though it's fairly clear that she didn't necessarily believe him and maybe thinks its a power play ruse, of course, the Army of the dead turned up cockblock any Dany hissy fit.

Anyhows preview for episode 3: -

bitbydeath bitbydeath I enjoy Vikings as guilty pleasure TV and they have had some good battles granted, but I don't find I'm that invested in the actual characters as much, because all the principals have ridiculous plot armour

Kadayi

Banned
I for one was sad we did not see Aryas boobs in all their glory. Maybe some ass too. What's with all the puritans shitting up this thread? She's a grown woman, deal with it.

No ones objecting to T&A, it's just a little weird because we've followed the character since she was a kid is all. and regardless of what the age of the actress may be, she still looks like a child due to her height.

TTOOLL

I'm sure this will play out totally different from what people are expecting.

There has to be a conflict between Jon and Danny after that conversation, but during the battle? They also put the conflict between Sansa and Danny on the table. The way they interrupted these two situations....I don't know, man.

No action in this episode except for Arya and Gendry hehehe but it was better than last week's, we had some great scenes going on and lots of goodbyes.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
Good episode. Still one thing I have to complain about (thtat also bothered me in the last episode). The battle preparation scene was kinda stupid. Not once has anyone even tried to bring up that the NK has a goddamn Dragon on his side as well. This should've been the first point they focus on and how to deal with that.

I don't know why the writers are trying to not bring up Viserion. Do they hope his arrival out of nowhere will come off as a big surprise to the audience, or they have planned to shock the audience with NK/Viserion flying over King's Landing in the final shot of the next episode? But that makes no sense, since in the preview Jon says NK is coming and how would NK even know where King's Landing is?

The plan sounds very basic as well considering many intelligent people (according to the characters) are in the room consulting. I hope they don't surmise the NK to be that dumb to ge baited so easily.

My prediction who is going to die next episode: Podrick, Grey Worm, Theon, Beric, Tormund, Ed, Davos, Missandei.

Still not sure if I will add Brienne, Jaime and Bran to the list. With Bran I thought he's making it out alive after the battle. However, since the chances to win the battle at Winterfell are highly unlikely, how is Bran, who is barely moving from one place to another, going to retreat and who is helping him out doing so?

Kadayi

Banned
I have a hunch that the Night Kings not going to commit all his forces, least of all his Ice Dragon to take Winterfell. I expect if anything he's probably put one of his Generals in charge whilst he heads further south to fuck the ever living shit out of a Westeros ill-prepared to combat him. After all, as has been pointed out repeatedly his army doesn't need to sleep or eat. He could just surround Winterfell for a year and starve them to death. Also, personally I sure as shit wouldn't want to be down in the crypts with all those dead Starks myself. No telling how robust his powers are to raise the long dead.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm expecting lots of death in the next episode and some surprises from the NK (maybe a surprise attack further south). So long as the white walker threat remains at the end of episode 3 and they don't rush through it, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom