• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Instead of becoming Daenerys, she tries to be how Emilia Clarke be if she was Daenerys rather than actually being Daenerys. A good actor is so good they just become their character and you can't really understand how the fuck they managed to do that when they're nothing like said character. The very best people in the show for this are Joffrey, Ned and Cersie. When you watch their interviews you don't really understand how they managed to bring that character to life. But with show Daenerys you can very easily see Emilia Clarke and her thought process. Watch this part of the BTS on this episode, you can clearly see how how Emilia is interpreting the events as Emilia and not Daenerys. You're not meant to act by thinking "how would I (Emilia) act if I was this character", the character is the character and it is completely separate from you and you imagine the character, not yourself. Imagine how Jack Gleeson would channel Joffrey, he's becoming Joffrey even though he says he can't relate to Joffrey in the slightest, but you can tell he understands him.
Completely disagree. I don't see how you can watch that video Evilore posted and think "yup, that's Daenerys".

Raynes

You know this show is based on a a series of books called "A Song Of Ice & Fire", right?

Books in which songs not only are important, they are literally the memory of the world.

I'm sure the show still has another song for the ending, probably with the title of "A Song Of Ice & Fire". And maybe it's going to be sang for more than 20 seconds like Podrick did in this episode. So brace yourself, it's going to make you feel like you are watching La La Land or something!

You do know that just because I don't like how the show implements the song into the episode it doesn't mean I don't think songs are important in the actual world of the story. Especially not in a "please feel sad now with this sad song and this sad montage" way.

Completely disagree. I don't see how you can watch that video Evilore posted and think "yup, that's Daenerys".

Fair enough, you want to disagree without actually understanding and engaging with any of the points I made to feel like you have some input but .

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You do know that just because I don't like how the show implements the song into the episode it doesn't mean I don't think songs are important in the actual world of the story. Especially not in a "please feel sad now with this sad song and this sad montage" way.

Fair enough, you want to disagree without actually understanding and engaging with any of the points I made to feel like you have some input but .

Daenerys is a stone faced something-something. Emilia Clarke is not. I don't have to write a paragraph to sufficiently address everything you said. One sentence is enough.

Jon Neu

Banned

The literal apocalypse is about to step at their door in a question of hours, if you don't think that justifies a sad song for 20 seconds, I don't know what else to tell you.

I guess people just love to be cynical and complain about everything, especially when a show gets this big.

Raynes

The literal apocalypse is about to step at their door in a question of hours, if you don't think that justifies a sad song for 20 seconds, I don't know what else to tell you.

And you feel we need to be spoon fed what to feel, why?

Daenerys is a stone faced something-something. Emilia Clarke is not. I don't have to write a paragraph to sufficiently address everything you said. One sentence is enough.

Yeah, and you still haven't understood or tried to understand, just want to disagree. Go about your day pal, feel like a winner.

Raynes

Oh boy, "spoon fed what to feel".

Your level of edgyness is so high your posts cut better than any valyrian steel sword.

How is that edgy? Or is that something you have to retreat to when you don't have anything of substance to follow up with?

Jon Neu

Banned
How is that edgy? Or is that something you have to retreat to when you don't have anything of substance to follow up with?

Well, it's hard to argue against "arguments" with so much "substance" such as:

-"A 20 seconds song? Why are they turning the episode into a MUSICAL!!1!"

-"And the song is sad too, they want to spoon feed us how to feel, do they think we are stupid!!1" I don't like songs, but if I do, they have to be neutral!"

It really makes you think.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So many amazing things about that episode, but I can't help after it was over feeling that the Night King is going to die in episode 3 or 4 and this will end with Cersei being the endgame. I really hope not, it would ruin it for me. Not because she isn't a great character, she is. She may be the best character of all of them. Not my favorite, but best from an analytical perspective.

But there has been SO MUCH build up for the Night King, if he dies willy nilly as anyone other than the final villain, it would be extremely disappointing. But I just felt last night that's where it's heading. I mean, they are already planning to kill the Night King, already have this plot to kill him.

And after next Sunday's episode there will only be 3 more. Yes, I know they're longer, but still. 3 more episodes left to wrap up all the other stuff. The Dany and Jon drama, Clegane Bowl(?), Bronn pondering killing Jaime/Tyrion, Cersei and her pregnancy, the Golden Company, and wrapping up everyone's stories in the finale. I just don't think there is enough time left for the Night King to pop back into the story later on and them having to defeat him once and for all. Which is what I originally thought would happen. I thought they'd get their asses handed to them at winterfell, have to retreat and figure out how to kill the Night King. And maybe that does still happen, but I feel like they're setting this up to wrap up this part of the story next week and shift to Cersei.

Last edited:

bigedole

So many amazing things about that episode, but I can't help after it was over feeling that the Night King is going to die in episode 3 or 4 and this will end with Cersei being the endgame. I really hope not, it would ruin it for me. Not because she isn't a great character, she is. She may be the best character of all of them. Not my favorite, but best from an analytical perspective.

But there has been SO MUCH build up for the Night King, if he dies willy nilly as anyone other than the final villain, it would be extremely disappointing. But I just felt last night that's where it's heading. I mean, they are already planning to kill the Night King, already have this plot to kill him.

And after next Sunday's episode there will only be 3 more. Yes, I know they're longer, but still. 3 more episodes left to wrap up all the other stuff. The Dany and Jon drama, Clegane Bowl(?), Bronn pondering killing Jaime/Tyrion, Cersei and her pregnancy, the Golden Company, and wrapping up everyone's stories in the finale. I just don't think there is enough time left for the Night King to pop back into the story later on and them having to defeat him once and for all. Which is what I originally thought would happen. I thought they'd get their asses handed to them at winterfell, have to retreat and figure out how to kill the Night King. And maybe that does still happen, but I feel like they're setting this up to wrap up this part of the story next week and shift to Cersei.

Paraphrasing my above comment but I disagree. I think Winterfell gets sacked, everyone retreats to the south, drama with Cersei plays out with her losing, last stand against NK and eventual "victory" takes place at King's Landing. That's my prediction.

eot

Banned
tenor.gif

No but seriously, them having a plan to kill the Night King doesn't mean they'll kill him. Again, they didn't show the dragon. Did they even show the NK? I don't remember seeing him. I think he's not even there.

Verdanth

This season has been weak in terms of start if you ask me.

Hope episode 3 delivers. If not, well, episode 4 will surely do, with deaths flying all over the place.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
tenor.gif

No but seriously, them having a plan to kill the Night King doesn't mean they'll kill him. Again, they didn't show the dragon. Did they even show the NK? I don't remember seeing him. I think he's not even there.

I thought that at first, but now I really think it's kinda like what they did with Ghost and not having elephants. They are preserving as much of the budget as they can for the epic battles, and the Night King on Viserion costs a lot of money every time he's on screen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Hope episode 3 delivers. If not, well, episode 4 will surely do, with deaths flying all over the place.
You want a bloody war drama? They'll give you a bloody war drama! (pay attention to the director of next episode).
Season has started just fine.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Paraphrasing my above comment but I disagree. I think Winterfell gets sacked, everyone retreats to the south, drama with Cersei plays out with her losing, last stand against NK and eventual "victory" takes place at King's Landing. That's my prediction.

I could see it, but I think they are going to have the Night King go out in a more poetic way than King's Landing. I think Cersei will die at King's Landing, but the Night King if he dies I think it needs to be somewhere of significance to him and the Children of the Forest.

But I could definitely see them losing and falling back to King's Landing. I just think if that happens, the final battle with the Night King won't take place there.

pr0cs

Not sure how you could feel that way, unless you're only watching the show for the action /special effects.
IMO it was one of the shows strongest episodes, one that most people watching or reading from the start have been pining for, for a long while. An episode that ties and binds together so many major character story arcs and sets up clearly many of their deaths. I'm not sure with their episode time limits they could have had a more focused episode in terms of gravity for the characters.
As a book reader we finally got an episode that all the characters felt like how I'd like to perceive them in a show based on the books.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Would it be fair to say that:

1. GoT is popular because of the interesting plot.

2. Got Is also popular because of the interesting character interactions. Character interactions also drive the plot.

3. GoT is also popular because of the great action. Action also drives the plot.

The polarization in the reception of this episode is because the people who like the show mostly because of #2 got a lot of what they like, and that people who like the show mostly because of #3 didn't get much. This is also amplified by so many people expecting epic shit to go down.

Although the episode was a bit blue ballsy in terms of action, there was a lot of interesting character driven stuff too.

In my opinion, I wish they could have spread it out more. It all seems rather crammed in together.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
And you feel we need to be spoon fed what to feel, why?

Yeah, and you still haven't understood or tried to understand, just want to disagree. Go about your day pal, feel like a winner.
??
Jeez, didn't realize I'd strike a nerve. Sorry, I understand you perfectly. I just disagree.

Valonquar

I'm waiting for the inevitable someone dies and is immediately zombierezzed forcing another main character to have to painfully fight against them.
Also ZOMBIE HODOR

Just watched the episode, timed perfectly with the end of my series binge.

I defended the first episode but I’m crying foul on this one.

This one was was 60 minutes with about 40 of those minutes as pure filler. They should have cut this one in half and combined it with episode one. So now we have just 5 episodes to resolve the Great War and the conflict with Cersei?

An episode like this worked in earlier seasons, in full 10 episode seasons, but this just felt like stalling, felt like wasted time in an already time precious, abbreviated seven episode finale.

I don’t get it.

There were cool moments, don’t get me wrong, but all this “calm before the storm, making peace with reality and the roads we’ve travelled” could have been in episod one.

Is Jon Snow short in the book? Feels like the last two seasons are picking up on the short jokes somewhat randomly. Not sure if it’s canon or just playful quips for Kit Harrington.

I’m starting to worry this is all going to end feeling very “unfulfilled” but hopefully I’m wrong.

Just my opinion.

Kagey K

Banned

This one was was 60 minutes with about 40 of those minutes as pure filler. They should have cut this one in half and combined it with episode one. So now we have just 5 episodes to resolve the Great War and the conflict with Cersei?

4 episodes left. Though they are extra long episodes.

BlueAlpaca

I think what he's saying is that it feels like Danny is Emilia Clarke wearing a mask of a new character - you can still see Emilia. This is as opposed to the good actors on the show who look like they've transformed into their characters rather than wear their masks.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I loved the episode. Honestly, it was one of my all time favorites. One of the commonly used criticisms of the episodes so far all relates back to how short the season is. That’s only an issue if the series ends with things left unfinished. If they manage to bring closure to the story in a satisfying way, then it doesn’t matter.

But even regardless of that I think closure for the characters was needed. We are going to lose a lot of them and we needed an episode like that. I loved the moments with the characters they are some of my favorites in the show.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I could see it, but I think they are going to have the Night King go out in a more poetic way than King's Landing. I think Cersei will die at King's Landing, but the Night King if he dies I think it needs to be somewhere of significance to him and the Children of the Forest.

But I could definitely see them losing and falling back to King's Landing. I just think if that happens, the final battle with the Night King won't take place there.

Maybe she will kill Brienne and make Jaime go ballistic.

greyshark

They made a point of calling out the population of King’s Landing at the end of last season - could be another clue to the Night King going there instead of Winterfell.

Jon Neu

Banned
This one was was 60 minutes with about 40 of those minutes as pure filler.

tenor.gif

But even regardless of that I think closure for the characters was needed. We are going to lose a lot of them and we needed an episode like that. I loved the moments with the characters they are some of my favorites in the show.

Pffff, who needs that when you can have fights instead.

Me personally, I mute the sound everytime the characters are talking or doing something not fight related. And don't get me started on those times they put one of those silly songs to try and manipulate me into feeling something. It's like, excuse me? I came here to see people fighting and motherfucking dragons breathing fire, that's the only music I want to hear!

It's like the people who reads those books. I mean, there is a fucking show to watch instead, why lose your time reading about people talking all the time for long periods of time? Are you retarded? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Grinchy

Banned
If the Night King really does head over to King's Landing and recruit a ton of new undead soldiers, how could that army ever be stopped? That seems like game over for the world.

For the show's sake, I would guess that some long battle would end with him being defeated there after doing lots of damage to the city and Cersei's troops while the fight at Winterfell claims a lot of the North's army. And then the scraps would fight over the throne I guess.

eot

Banned
Random thought: I wish Sansa would ditch that stupid necklace thing she's been wearing for 3+ seasons. It's a physical manifestation of her character transformation, but since it has no in-world significance it feels goofy for her to have it 24/7.

Last edited:
If the Night King really does head over to King's Landing and recruit a ton of new undead soldiers, how could that army ever be stopped? That seems like game over for the world.

For the show's sake, I would guess that some long battle would end with him being defeated there after doing lots of damage to the city and Cersei's troops while the fight at Winterfell claims a lot of the North's army. And then the scraps would fight over the throne I guess.
either way if they take winterfell the Night king will still add massive numbers to his army. Like John said the only real way to beat them is to kill the night king

Grinchy

Banned
Did Podrick get fat btw? He looks so strange to me in this season. Speaking of getting fat, Gilly must be having a second baby soon lol

Battle of the Bulges:
5bXMmew.jpg

To hide from the Night King while also not freezing to death, Tyrion and Jaime could slice one of them open and crawl inside.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Am I the only one who thinks that hiding from a necromancer in what is essentially a graveyard is a really bad idea?
no lol.

I find it interesting that many of the fan theories from way back when speculated that the key to defeating the white walkers might be related to the crypts of Winterfell somehow. It would be funny if it's just the opposite.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that hiding from a necromancer in what is essentially a graveyard is a really bad idea?

No, you're not far wrong at all. They've been burning the recent dead, but seemingly haven't given much thought to the long deceased. Given the state of the dead which attacked Bran etc on the way to the 3 eyed Raven, you'd have thought Bran might have pondered that.

JimiNutz

Banned
Are D&D gonna dole out the fanservice with Cleganebowl? If so, The Hound can't die yet.

They have to!
I'll be gutted if there is no Hound vs Mountain.

Maybe The Hound will be injured in the battle and Arya will stab him with dragon glass to stop the infection spreading and he will be half dead like Uncle Benjen. That way it'll be undead Hound vs undead Mountain when they meet.

Jon Neu

Banned
Random thought: I wish Sansa would ditch that stupid necklace thing she's been wearing for 3+ seasons. It's a physical manifestation of her character transformation, but since it has no in-world significance it feels goofy for her to have it 24/7.

lq8axs3a30hz.jpg

House_Worm_4_Wrap.jpg

p9_1%2Bcopy.jpg

The Theta and the Spiral symbol represent galactic bioengineering organizations in GRRM books.

Ovek

7Member7
Is it safe to read this thread again or is it still full of people acting really weird and horrified over Maisie Williams getting naked?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Rare and beautiful moments in episode 2 where Jamie, Tyrion, Briene, Tormund, Davos, Podrick sitting there laughing and talking...

Theon chatting with Sansa...

Hound with Arya and Berric...

Jon with Sam and Ed....

Jorah and Lyana Mormont...

Some of these people were enemies of the stark and now theyre fighting for Winterfell

Scared to know that theres big chances we wont be seeing some of these guys survive in the next episode esp Brienne and Jamie are at the frontline in Episode 3 trailler

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh Clegaine bowl is coming.

Get hype.

Cleganebowl is old news

At this point im more interested with The Mountain vs Zombie Hodor

Also im bit scared with the way Daenarys looking at Jon during the final moment

She knows Jon is a threat to her throne now

So what she gona do about it?

Im afraid shes gona do something terible

Also i got bad feeling for Jamie and Brienne

Ep 3 trailer theyre at the frontline

Bad spot for important characters like them to be there

Last edited:

NickFire

An episode like this worked in earlier seasons, in full 10 episode seasons, but this just felt like stalling, felt like wasted time in an already time precious, abbreviated seven episode finale.

I don’t get it.

There were cool moments, don’t get me wrong, but all this “calm before the storm, making peace with reality and the roads we’ve travelled” could have been in episod one.

Is Jon Snow short in the book? Feels like the last two seasons are picking up on the short jokes somewhat randomly. Not sure if it’s canon or just playful quips for Kit Harrington.

I’m starting to worry this is all going to end feeling very “unfulfilled” but hopefully I’m wrong.

Just my opinion.
I share the sentiments about episode 2. Was a huge let down, made worse by just how predictable it was. It was exactly what I expected after episode 1 and the trailer for episode 2. They easily could have added to the length of 1 and given something more meaty in 2.

Regarding episode 3, I am hoping for a big swerve. Something along the lines of the dead redirecting most of their forces to take on Cersei first. She falls, the dead ranks increase big time, and the survivors / those who fled teaming up with Snow and the gang.

I share the sentiments about episode 2. Was a huge let down, made worse by just how predictable it was. It was exactly what I expected after episode 1 and the trailer for episode 2. They easily could have added to the length of 1 and given something more meaty in 2.

Regarding episode 3, I am hoping for a big swerve. Something along the lines of the dead redirecting most of their forces to take on Cersei first. She falls, the dead ranks increase big time, and the survivors / those who fled teaming up with Snow and the gang.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about different ways Cersei gets involved in Episode 3. Curious to see what they went with.

Also, in EP2, wouldn’t it have been perfect for Jon to tell Dany “I don’t want the iron throne, I just want the north, and you,” and put a pin in this potential conflict? Jon doesn’t seem like an Iron Throne Kind of Guy anyway. They can keep their secret and coexist just fine imo.

Edit:

I had thought about a “Cersei change of heart” scenario where she shows up as the savior at last second but that seems unrealistic at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom