• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Jon Neu

Banned
Nah Stargate SG1 was better. Breaking Bad was better. Sopranos was better. etc.

Stargate? lol

Breaking Bad and the Sopranos were good, but Game Of Thrones was more ambitious and bigger in scope, while being at least as good script wise, if not actually better.

bitbydeath

I liked the twist on the ending.

Bran was the bad guy the entire time pretending to play dumb to gain power.

The Nights King was actually the good guy trying to put a stop to the evil Bran.

Clearly Sansa will be his next victim for the sly act she pulled in holding the title queen of the north.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Initial reaction without scrolling through pages of forums: half incredibly predictable, half makes no sense. I'm in the money from all the bets I put on: Starks alive, Tyrion the hand, Sansa queen of an independent north, Arya off doing her own thing, Sam Grand Maester, Yara ruling the Irons. Made £60 from those. The betting sites will all be laughing to the iron bank today thanks to all the "will sit on the Iron Throne" bets being moot, since there's no throne. A lot of salty gamblers this morning.

But we're supposed to believe the Unsullied and Dothraki would watch a man, who just betrayed and then plotted to kill their queen, convince a group of people they've never heard of nor care about that some cripple should be king, and then just say "yeah okay as long as the usurper gets sent to live on a wall, we'll just piss off now peacefully".

Yeah, okay. Can't wait to see people justify that one.

Hell, at least it's over now and we just remember seasons 1-4 fondly.

Stargate? lol

Breaking Bad and the Sopranos were good, but Game Of Thrones was more ambitious and bigger in scope, while being at least as good script wise, if not actually better.

Donchu lol at muh stargate.

Game of Thrones was a relatively low budget affair up until later. The strongest aspect was the characterization owing to the fact they all had many books worth of dialogue to say on camera. That's about it bro. The story is super generic. The actual War of the Roses is more interesting.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Wow, that was worse than the leaks, it was kinda soulless, people were like yeah let's finish this whatever.

Anybody who defends this is completely blind.

I don't feel like listing all the cons because people have done it already, but that council meeting was one of the WORST scenes I've ever seen. For a few minutes and when convenient to the plot, fucking Grey Worm was the most powerful person in Westeros. Fuck that guy.

Jon Neu

Banned
Donchu lol at muh stargate.

Game of Thrones was a relatively low budget affair up until later. The strongest aspect was the characterization owing to the fact they all had many books worth of dialogue to say on camera. That's about it bro. The story is super generic. The actual War of the Roses is more interesting.

Game of Thrones was much more expensive to make than Breaking Bad or the Sopranos, even at the beginning. And it has always being a deep coral cast of characters and places, while BB and Sopranos relied on a few places and a few characters at the beginning. Sometimes they are actually a one man show.

And no, Game Of Thrones story was the contrary of generic, it was set in a generic setting, but did a lot of fresh and smart things before they run out of books to adapt.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
From GRRM's blog yesterday:

I am back home again now, and back once more in Westeros, working on WINDS… which, let me add once more, has NOT been finished and hidden away for years. (sigh)

Jon Neu

Banned
By the way, when Drogon metled the evil throne that stabbed his mommy, I was expecting a banner to fall from the sky in which you could read: when D&D ruled the earth.

Missed oportunities. Dissapointed, once again.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
From GRRM's blog yesterday:

You had one job George one fucking job

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Absolute fantastic ending, I kinda predicted most of it already as the writing was on the wall. Bran being the king made absolutely sense dude is perfect for it. Arya going on exploration, snow rejoined with his dog and going to the absolute north was already forcasted and predictable, sansa the queen of the north, absolutely fantastic.

Also dany was well done, she became power hungry and completely wonky, i liked the tension it created between characters. I liked how bran also mentioned that he will track the dragon to see what happens.

The writing in the book, the new rulers the way they rule the new kingdoms now is also absolutely fantastic.

All and all very very well done.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think most of my issues with this season, and they are extensive, could have been mollified if they had just reversed the Cersei/NK arcs. Let Dany go to KL with her full army and torch KL. Jon and the rest are horrified, but they MUST work with her to defeat the NK. Then WF plays out with Bran and Arya and somehow, in the battle, Jon kills or lets Dany die. EVERYTHING else plays out basically the same way. But that change alone I think would have extended the "Dany gone crazy" arc, let the shift in loyalties take longer, and make a lot more tactical sense given what Dany shows up with at KL. Arya taking off after just shivving the KL would make more sense to me as well, Jon staying in the North with what's left of his brothers and the wildlings, the North earning a peaceful exit from the Sev….er Six Kingdoms due to their sacrifice. The Unsullied and Dothraki are more isolated, their leaving would make more sense as well as they could see that the South could trap them in the North rather than apparently be totally depopulated. Bran's master plan to take out the NK would be more widely witnessed by Southern lords and would make his kingship more likely.

Saruhashi

Banned
As I said before I think when you look at the basic bullet points they have a good ending there but the build up and pay off was just missing.
After 70+ episodes that's disappointing.

I feel like if the writers are going to send Jon back to the Night's Watch then you should not have had them defeat the Night King but rather should have had them repel and severely weaken him. Hence Jon is needed to defend against his potential return.

If you are going to have Bran as king at the end then pad out the three eyed raven stuff and allow it to take center stage for a decent chunk of your final season.

The conclusions are perfectly fine in theory but in practice the whole season has just felt like "let's just get this over with as quickly as possible and move on".

Ultimately I think people will look back and see that the ending was rushed through extremely quickly and lacked any real weight as a result.

AV

If all the Unsullied left to Naath, then is there anyone left in Westeros who really gives a shit whether or not Jon goes to the Night's Watch or not?

Nope. They also know that all the white walkers are dead, so there's not really anything to protect from. And hell, from the looks of things, the plan was to let Jon go anyway and just not tell the unsullied, since no-one at the wall stops him. Why not just wait until they've gone away on their boats and let him live where he wants?

And why are the wildlings going back beyond the wall when all they wanted was to come south away from the harsh wilds? Didn't they just help Sansa hold Winterfell against the dead? Wouldn't she be alright letting them have a bit of land to live on? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
If all the Unsullied left to Naath, then is there anyone left in Westeros who really gives a shit whether or not Jon goes to the Night's Watch or not?

I bet nobody cares about jon anymore

He can forget about his vows not to have children

He said hes going back to castle black but we all saw he continue to march north

He can fuck some wildlings, have kids and built his own house...guys endured so much burden and fought so many war...time for him to relax and enjoy life..

Last edited:
nonono..my friend the one making assumptions is you...

If they re going to film something based on a book...only to betrayed its own source..because they change their mind dont like how the book story goes...than whats the fuckin point of doing it?( making ashow based on a book) 😂
But you are making assumptions. The writers on the show already have made creative liberty's with the source material in the past and that doesn't mean it's because they don't like what they got to work with. There's been lots of different books where they have been altered, for better or worse, to serve the medium it's being adapted too. This is no different.

Ok erm, so call me stupid or whatever, but was it ever mentioned why Jon... just didn’t take the throne? Like, he was the last Targaryen, why did he at no point maybe mention this? He could have ruled as king, Sansa would have followed and united everybody...?

I enjoyed the final but I can’t help but feel it should have been a 2 hour special couples with the last episode. This one felt like it was just a tidy up type thing, not a proper episode.

I’m also with the other people who feel this didn’t feel like the end, and that there could have been another series. It’s mind of just... ends. But I’m down for “the new adventures of...” type shows.

All in all I see why people are pissed but the show is what it is, and it’s been not only sign posted for years now but also written. You can’t just suddenly start crying when Darth Vader does something good at the end of Jedi when it’s been obvious all along.

Still one of the best shows I’ve seen in recent times and I’m so glad I watched it over a few weeks rather than from the start.
Jon is a stubbornly honorable person and tries to never compromise. He doesn't want the throne to begin with and he just killed his Queen and his lover. It would be out of his character to take the Throne himself after betraying Dany.

Last edited:

AV

So did Jaime and Cersei just get really unlucky with that brick fall? And did Dany not think to have anyone look for Cersei's corpse to confirm the kill before she started listing off the next slaughtering grounds..? Looks like the majority of the keep is pretty intact.

t5mMLel.png
H4tTkc6.png

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Emilia Clarke read a paragraph in the final script for Game of Thrones.

She read it again and again. Seven times, she says, she read the words that revealed the devastating fate of Daenerys Targaryen, a character she’s portrayed on the HBO global phenomenon for nearly a decade.

“What, what, what, WHAT!?” the actress recalls thinking. “Because it comes out of f—king nowhere. I’m flabbergasted. Absolutely never saw that coming.”

At the table read, Clarke sat across from Harington so she could “watch him compute all of this.” When they got to their final scene together, recalls Harington, “I looked at Emilia and there was a moment of me realizing, ‘No, no…’”

And Clarke nodded back, sadly, ‘Yes…’

“He was crying,” Clarke says. “And then it was kind of great him not having read it.”

The best drama is the type you have to think about. There’s a dangerous tendency right now to make art and popular culture to feel safe for everybody and make everybody feel okay when watching and I don’t believe in that. The show is messy and grey and that’s where it’s always lived — from Jaime pushing a little boy out the window to Ned Stark’s death to the Red Wedding. This is the kind of story that’s meant to unsettle you and challenge you and make you think and question. I think that was George’s intent and what David and Dan wanted to do. However you feel about the final episodes of this show I don’t think anybody will ever accuse us of taking the easy way out.

Ahahahahaha

S8mBLPa.png

“I think it’s going to divide,” Harington says of the finale’s fan reaction. “But if you track her story all the way back, she does some terrible things. She crucifies people. She burns people alive. This has been building. So, we have to say to the audience: ‘You’re in denial about this woman as well. You knew something was wrong. You’re culpable, you cheered her on.’”

Kit trying to rationalize these weird ass rushed character arcs by making the same logical error many others are willingly and unwillingly doing - selectively applying either 21st century or medeival standards of morality when it suite their argument and ignoring it when it doesn't.

Malakhov

Banned
Absolute fantastic ending, I kinda predicted most of it already as the writing was on the wall. Bran being the king made absolutely sense dude is perfect for it. Arya going on exploration, snow rejoined with his dog and going to the absolute north was already forcasted and predictable, sansa the queen of the north, absolutely fantastic.

Also dany was well done, she became power hungry and completely wonky, i liked the tension it created between characters. I liked how bran also mentioned that he will track the dragon to see what happens.

The writing in the book, the new rulers the way they rule the new kingdoms now is also absolutely fantastic.

All and all very very well done.
Yep very well done and a great ending to a great season.

In pretty much all shows i watched except 6 feet under and breaking bad, none succeeded to finish such a great show that well.

Ahahahahaha

S8mBLPa.png

Kit trying to rationalize these weird ass rushed character arcs by making the same logical error many others are willingly and unwillingly doing - selectively applying either 21st century or medeival standards of morality when it suite their argument and ignoring it when it doesn't.
It's possible he really does think it's fine the way it was written and directed but that's just his opinion. I believe there are some people who are not bothered by how rush it is and don't care for the details while us for example want those details and want these climaxes to buildup organically instead of events just happening for the sake of happening. This isn't a criticism towards them though, everybody has different taste. Just an observation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's possible he really does think it's fine the way it was written and directed but that's just his opinion. I believe there are some people who are not bothered by how rush it is and don't care for the details while us for example want those details and want these climaxes to buildup organically instead of events just happening for the sake of happening. This isn't a criticism towards them though, everybody has different taste. Just an observation.
Does he tho

47 seconds in

ParanoidRED

Banned
It was honestly decent, nothing more nor short of what i was expecting from the ending after a super mediocre season

Couple of moments that made me shade my head super hard tho

Anyway, i can finally start reading the books, super curious tbh

nkarafo

I thought the last season was terrible but the ending was good, considering the low standards.

I like how Bran sat there doing nothing in the whole series and he ended up the king, beating all the other tryhards. I thought it was a bit funny.

Fbh

Imagine living in high garden and one of the first things the new king does is appoint some drunk mercenary as your new leader because his hand promised it to him (when he was still working as the hand for the genocidal queen).

It sure would inspire a lot of confidence in this new king

White Harbor is one of their cities.....
Yes belonging to House Manderly.

This is not the boat Jon took when leaving White Harbor going to Dragonstone. So ok. The Stark branded boat was just made. ok fine.

Why is it not crewed by House Stark... or Northmen at all? She is the only crew member that was carrying a weapon. The ship has no weapons.

So Arya has a Stark Branded Boat crewed by exactly how Jack Sparrow crewed his stolen ship in the first pirates movie, with no means to defend themselves. Should have just teamed up with the Greyjoys, seeing as how they ain't got shit to do now and this mission is right up their alley.

Or just ask Bran. Seeing as he is Google in a wheel chair.

Top Bottom