• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass > Exclusivity

Should we close this thread

• Immediately

Votes: 41 75.9%
  • Read responses and then close it

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Delete it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close it and show the effect of poor choices in polls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Rurouni Kenshin alt account.
Suspicious GIF by SVU

Never really though about this. Gamepass is more important than exclusivity to me but only because of money.

If all the games including XBS/Bethesda came to PS5 then I would have to pay $70 for every single one of them, so I wouldnt be able to play all of them Day 1 and I'd have to wait for sales. With gamepass I get so many games that I get to play Day 1.

Gamepass is exclusivity, the people who don't get this are dumb. You are still in Microsoft's closed garden, it's just they expanded the scope. Xbox the console is the center, there's zero cannibalization. You still aren't getting most shit on PS5 or Switch. Xbox isn't dumb. If Sony phones sold, if they still had laptops, or they didn't screw up the Vita they would have a larger ecosystem too.

People who say but PC on this board, more than half are likely liars that have 2007 netbooks, Chromebooks, or have another console with no PC. 98% of PCs can't run lucky's tale at max settings. Xbox isn't losing sales and MS gets PC money from a niche of nutsos that buy $700 ineffecient graphics cards every 2-3 years.

Iced Arcade

Microsoft didn't spend billions and billions to become the biggest 1st party house so they could support the competition.

As a gamer idgaf, put your games on a Samsung fridge for all I care. I never see it as a bad thing that someone else gets to enjoy something that I'm enjoying.

People on both sides should stop trying to push others toward each philosophy.

Gamepass + Xbox = Old cable tv, with cable TV quality. Nothing wrong with that, but that has always been the reality, with the hopes maybe a big film might come out on HBO / Cinemax. We all enjoy it growing up but it is what it is. It has the effect of dopamine addiction with all the choice but really not satisfied with any. The quality dictates the platform.

Tentpole Exclusives + Sony = Feeling of going to the movies with the family, big event to get excited about and gives that zing but you pay more. They are both valid ways of enjoying entertainment but they will NEVER be the same. Different philosophies that will eventually change how games are made within each ecosystem.

slade

Lol, it's a nice hypothetical if only because at one time exclusives were teh evil and now a certain fanbase can't get enough of them.

I play the PS5 exclusives and love finding gems in Game Pass.

Both are amazing
This is the real answer.

Gamepass + Xbox = Old cable tv, with cable TV quality. Nothing wrong with that, but that has always been the reality, with the hopes maybe a big film might come out on HBO / Cinemax. We all enjoy it growing up but it is what it is. It has the effect of dopamine addiction with all the choice but really not satisfied with any. The quality dictates the platform.

Tentpole Exclusives + Sony = Feeling of going to the movies with the family, big event to get excited about and gives that zing but you pay more. They are both valid ways of enjoying entertainment but they will NEVER be the same. Different philosophies that will eventually change how games are made within each ecosystem.

And so is this.

Please disperse now.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The reality is people only care about exclusives, even though they represent a small fraction of all games you can play.

I would prefer the moneyhat budget to be spent on getting GP deals, basically giving this money back to players. But it will never happen as people are ok paying more and only exclusivity moves the needle.

Good thing we don’t need to choose and can have both but exclusives would be my choice if it we had to.

Pull n Pray

Banned

We'll see how it turns out. My expectation is that 7 years from now Series X 1st party has more 85+ Metacritic games than PS5 1st party.

ZywyPL

Banned
Exclusives are required for the health of the industry.

There's nothing healthy in games not meeting sales exoectations and franchises disappearing, or even the entire studios being shut down. There's nothing healthy in having tiny/dead online communities. There's nothing healthy in relying on the same safe sequels. Not to mention the effect it has on peoples mentality, as seen here on the forum. The only people who care about exclusives are fanboys. Only to then beg for a 60FPS patch or a PC port of BB, that's how healthy it is to close the game behind the PS4. No one really wins anything with exclusives, even fanboys who defend them, not even the publisher who has to cover all the enormous dev cost and get only so much out of it.

Last edited:
We'll see how it turns out. My expectation is that 7 years from now Series X 1st party has more 85+ Metacritic games than PS5 1st party.
well its fun to speculate that's why we wander in these enthusiast forums hehe just from the recent E3 showing, we are already seeing the effects of their new PHILosophy (hehe) on their biggest franchise Halo. They seem to be chasing the GAAS since Xbone to compensate their earnings from lower boxed sales but high engagement of their platform. Now its only magnified, since they cant recoup the costs on boxed sales since its on Gamepass, need to find away to make it back on giving out free dopamine in the MP with colorful skins that all the kids seems to go bananas for.

As for metacritic scores, I believe one of the problems of MS is the "immersion" factor that the ecosystem of PS has, which raises the standard for a positive review. Easier to be in a state of "flow" when haptics and other things "click". Its harder to to get that "zing" when you go back to an older input method IMO. but what do I know, I aint a billion dollar company with an army of data haha

TheGrat1

You are asking this question to the wrong audience. Xbox gamers have not had "Exclusives" since what? 2010? Xbox games have been available on multiple platforms for so long at this point that if they have not taken issue with it in the last 10 years they are not going to now.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

If I was a kid with all the time in the world, Gamepass would have been amazing. Today I prefer one or two extremely good games a year. My time is limited so quality is king.
/thread

As you get more conscious about how you are spending your time (which may or may not be linked with you growing older) you are not impressed by someone proposing you endless stream of games.

Not to mention on gaming forums people are very attached to finishing the games they started whereas I see the value of GamePass as just dipping your toes in a lot of genres and moving on.

Pull n Pray

Banned
/thread

As you get more conscious about how you are spending your time (which may or may not be linked with you growing older) you are not impressed by someone proposing you endless stream of games.

Not to mention on gaming forums people are very attached to finishing the games they started whereas I see the value of GamePass as just dipping your toes in a lot of genres and moving on.
Until you retire. Then you have a lot of free time again.

Zeroing

Banned
Your question is - would I rather Xbox drop game pass or give exclusives to the ps5?? Wtf do you think? Insane question
sharing is caring! If gamepass is such amazing value, share it with the poor Nintendo and PlayStation players… right?

Godot25

Banned
Making Game Pass deals is way better than third party exclusive deals because it benefits customer.

I mean. What's the point of third-party exclusive deals from consumer point of view? Yeah, game won't be available on competing platforms but still...you have to pay full price for that game. So outside of stupid bragging rights it's really pointless.

GamePass deals meanwhile benefits me as a customer because it allows me to not have to pay full price for a game while people on competing platforms needs to shell out 60-70$ for that game.

Why should I bother having PS5 for multiplat games and pay big bucks for every on of those games, when I can have A Plague Tale Requiem, Back 4 Blood, Stalker 2, Hades and Psychonauts 2 with my subscription? That 5 games essentially paid for my subscription for one year. And I got other games I'm interested in on top of it (Forza Horizon 5, halo Infinite etc.)

Pull n Pray

Banned
well its fun to speculate that's why we wander in these enthusiast forums hehe just from the recent E3 showing, we are already seeing the effects of their new PHILosophy (hehe) on their biggest franchise Halo. They seem to be chasing the GAAS since Xbone to compensate their earnings from lower boxed sales but high engagement of their platform. Now its only magnified, since they cant recoup the costs on boxed sales since its on Gamepass, need to find away to make it back on giving out free dopamine in the MP with colorful skins that all the kids seems to go bananas for.

As for metacritic scores, I believe one of the problems of MS is the "immersion" factor that the ecosystem of PS has, which raises the standard for a positive review. Easier to be in a state of "flow" when haptics and other things "click". Its harder to to get that "zing" when you go back to an older input method IMO. but what do I know, I aint a billion dollar company with an army of data haha
Halo Infinite looks like the most ambitious Halo yet. Microsoft Flight Simulator might be the most ambitious game ever made.

PlayStation will put out a ton of great games, no doubt. But I think Microsoft's biggest studios will make every attempt to match PlayStation's quality. Whether they can achieve that or not remains to be seen. But because of the shear number of games they will be releasing, they have a greater margin for error.

There's nothing healthy in games not meeting sales exoectations and franchises disappearing, or even the entire studios being shut down. There's nothing healthy in having tiny/dead online communities. There's nothing healthy in relying on the same safe sequels.

This happens with exclusives and multiplats. Games are not not healthy for the industry

Serious note, typical trash PC gamer post

Last edited:

Greggy

We went from “Xbox sucks because it has no exclusives” to threads like this.
I’m not holding my breath for the first “Would you rather God of war was also on Xbox or just on PS Now” thread.
Not even sure why I dignified this with a post.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Exclusives are required for the health of the industry. If not you may as well scrap consoles entirely and force everyone to game on PC's.

I'm a gamepass subscriber but I'm not fussed about it either way, I'd rather Microsoft continue to make exclusives for their platform than to give them away just for the sake of continuing some subscription service. I'm more than happy to pay for the exclusives I want.
And done. /thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom