• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

SpotAnime

Action shot.

I also properly set my tonerarm weight and antiskate, something I never did on my old DJ tables (yeah, yeah, I didn't know, I figure my trance collection is ever madder at me).

CaEv_GoVAAAy3jy.jpg:large

Very nice! The other great thing about that turntable, aside from it having a USB interface, is that it has a built-in preamp, so you can hook it straight up to speakers.

Here's a great review on the LP-120 from The Wire Cutter which has a lot of nice comparisons in speed accuracy. It beat out the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (although aesthetically I do like that one a lot more - it would be a easier sell to convince my wife to put that one in the living room).

Very nice! The other great thing about that turntable, aside from it having a USB interface, is that it has a built-in preamp, so you can hook it straight up to speakers.
I've heard a lot of criticism about the preamp, even when using the phono output, but I don't have the equipment (or possibly even the ears) to be able to tell the difference.

rpbtz

I've heard a lot of criticism about the preamp, even when using the phono output, but I don't have the equipment (or possibly even the ears) to be able to tell the difference.

I have no hands-on (or ears-on if you like) experience with the LP120, but what I see on forums and hear from people is that the built-in preamp is more than fine for most people (especially those new to vinyl).

Problem is that if you want to use a better external preamp you'd have to physically remove (or at least disable) the built-in one from the LP120. Even if you use the switch to disable it, an external preamp will still use the sub-par circuitry of the built-in one.

Fortunately there's tons of guides online on how to remove it if you ever feel like doing that.

As for the missing auto start - at least the LP120 has a cue lever. My first manual table did not and I always found it a little intimidating doing it entirely by hand :)

I've been listening to records non-stop since morning.

I have no hands-on (or ears-on if you like) experience with the LP120, but what I see on forums and hear from people is that the built-in preamp is more than fine for most people (especially those new to vinyl).
I only mentioned it cause I've seen it a lot lately, I probably should've prefaced that it was very likely vinyl snobbery (even if it is a valid issue).

As for the missing auto start - at least the LP120 has a cue lever. My first manual table did not and I always found it a little intimidating doing it entirely by hand :)
I've actually never used a cue lever myself.

IrishNinja

Coming to think of it, Jet Set Radio would be a great match for the medium. The PAL and NTSC-J releases mimic the design of a record.

jetset-cd.jpg

oh yeah, i'd be all over that!

i'd also love something like Xenogears: Creid, even as an EP

Action shot.

I also properly set my tonerarm weight and antiskate, something I never did on my old DJ tables (yeah, yeah, I didn't know, I figure my trance collection is ever madder at me).

gorgeous - congrats man! also i need to learn about setting tonearm weight & such, i was just saying my set was balanced well enough but now new records are starting to skip a bit =/

gorgeous - congrats man! also i need to learn about setting tonearm weight & such, i was just saying my set was balanced well enough but now new records are starting to skip a bit =/
Thanks!

A simple search will lead you to some useful videos, the only hard part is zeroing the arm, it requires nano adjustments to the counterweight (at least it did for me).

If you have the LP120, they have an outline on their site even.

http://blog.audio-technica.com/setting-lp120-usb-turntable-part-1/
http://blog.audio-technica.com/setting-lp120-usb-turntable-part-2/

Action shot.

CaEv_GoVAAAy3jy.jpg:large

Excellent !!!! How does the Axiom verge sound ?

I am still waiting for my U-turn to arrive sometimes next week...

Man, I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary vinyl they'd be willing to part with, eh?

Been looking everywhere for it, and kicking myself for not getting it when it released.

Man, I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary vinyl they'd be willing to part with, eh?

Been looking everywhere for it, and kicking myself for not getting it when it released.

FWIW, it pops up on Discogs every now and then. Average selling price ~100 bucks. :X

RaidenZR

Mondo finally issued a statement as a shipping update regarding The Last of Us vinyl. I believe this is regarding their second run (which I've been itching to receive now for many, many months). I'll just paste for folks who didn't get it yet:

MONDO said:
Hello,

We are writing today with a production update for The Last of Us 4XLP (Pre-Order)!

After the unexpected delays this past December, we are happy to report the LP's are scheduled to be pressed over the course of the next week. We are optimistic we will receive the finished LP's in the middle February, after which we will get them out the door to you as quickly as possible.

We want to thank you for your continued patience with this project. If you have any questions or concerns, or need your address changed, please do not hesitate to contact us!

All the best,

MONDO

hawk2025

I still wish the Axiom Verge release had much better packaging and was a double LP, but damn I've been playing it constantly.

Great stuff.

6AO0FvX.jpg

Today was a good day ... U-turn table and those 3 showed up in the mail ^^

I forgot how alive analog sound was !!!! Carpenter Brut record is just out of this world ...

hahaha ... to give an idea : I had only Bioshock and Dreamcast Vinyls before subb'ing this thread like 1.5 months ago.

I now have the U-turn, all data-discs, fez, axiom, CP, Perturbator ... over a dozen already ...

so yeah : I pay, I listen, I pay again :)

Here's my current collection, minus a majority of my old DJ crates:
https://www.discogs.com/user/PixyJunket/collection?page=1&sort=artist,asc&folder=0&limit=100

Knock on wood, but I think I'm at a good point where I can start slowing down and maybe grab a new record or two every month.

I have a couple of pricey "grails" that are needling me, but I figure that would be a good excuse to unload a few of the many duplicate NES/SNES games that I can get $80-$100+ for each.

OnPoint

Here's my current collection, minus a majority of my old DJ crates:
https://www.discogs.com/user/PixyJunket/collection?page=1&sort=artist,asc&folder=0&limit=100

Knock on wood, but I think I'm at a good point where I can start slowing down and maybe grab a new record or two every month.

I have a couple of pricey "grails" that are needling me, but I figure that would be a good excuse to unload a few of the many duplicate NES/SNES games that I can get $80-$100+ for each.
We can discuss this further if you'd like... since I collect NES/SNES games...

Edit: So as to not clutter up this thread, I'll move to PMs with you, Pixy :)

We can discuss this further if you'd like... since I collect NES/SNES games...
I would like to get a quick $180+ so I can grab Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (and then cry about it when it is immediately announced for a repress).

I'll have to dig, but offhand I know I have an extra Earthbound (w/ strategy book) for SNES, plus many other RPGs (FF2, FF3, Chrono, Lufia II). Some of the NES game I have in mind are Gun*Nac, Fire and Ice, Might Final Fight and Power Blade 2 (with a faded label).

hawk2025

I would like to get a quick $180+ so I can grab Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (and then cry about it when it is immediately announced for a repress).

I'll have to dig, but offhand I know I have an extra Earthbound (w/ strategy book) for SNES, plus many other RPGs (FF2, FF3, Chrono, Lufia II). Some of the NES game I have in mind are Gun*Nac, Fire and Ice, Might Final Fight and Power Blade 2 (with a faded label).

Be patient. A repress of The Fragile is damn near inevitable.

Aww man, I'm jealous of that silver/grey copy of Garden Of Delete. I'd love a copy, but it seems to be going for $70+ now.
Wow, mine is stamped "No. 12."

Mine has totally gone off the rails,
https://www.discogs.com/user/Noisep...&sort_order=asc&layout=big&limit=250&folder=0

Started the hobby August 2014.
You have a 12" of Kathy's Song without the Corsten remix? I can't.

I also see a fellow synthwave junkie. I see a lot of overlap with us, but any specific recommendations? I was eyeing the Symmetry - Themes for an Imaginary Film next.

Be patient. A repress of The Fragile is damn near inevitable.
I KNOW. But it's still driving me crazy, it's my favorite album of all time.

I remember holding it in my hands in 1999/2000 for $20 and thinking "eh, my record players are for trance."

rpbtz

rpbtz

Hot damn, I hope that's the case. Firewatch is one of those games that, despite not really knowing anything about it, I'm thinking that probably has a great soundtrack.

Apparently the soundtrack is done by Chris Remo who did the Gone Home OST, which I recall as being pretty good. It seem he's composed for the games Drawn To Life: The Next Chaper, Thirty Flights Of Loving, Captain Bubblenaut, and Spacebase DF-9. I've only heard of SDF-9 and have no idea whether the soundtrack is good or not.

cptodin

Taken from the recently updated http://www.firewatchgame.com

El0apqe.png

Hopefully it's an actual thing because I am ready to jump on that ASAP. Here's hoping they do another print run of those Olly Moss posters again too.
vinyllzbf0.png

Any plans for a physical vinyl release?

It'd be pretty rad, but we haven't looked into it yet. That icon was Olly being cheeky.

I believe when it comes to the game going online in the PlayStation Store, we serve at the pleasure of Sony. We opted to not do a midnight release (because it seemed insane to have the team stay up all night doing tech support), and as a result that means the game comes out... when they decide to flip the switch. When we know the time, you'll know!

From the Firewatch thread

Gunharp

I am starting to find the LP/Digital only route for the OST releases of indies frustrating. Wish CD's were also getting released.

RaidenZR

Okay, I want to play too!
My Vinyl Collection

Started about two years ago... Don't think I have everything cataloged though. Which reminds me...
iPhone wise, can anyone recommend a good app that interfaces with discogs? There seems to be a few but they cost money and I don't want to make an unwise choice.

rpbtz

My Vinyl Collection

Started about two years ago... Don't think I have everything cataloged though. Which reminds me...
iPhone wise, can anyone recommend a good app that interfaces with discogs? There seems to be a few but they cost money and I don't want to make an unwise choice.

Not an iOS user so I can't speak from experience, but I've seen this discussed extensively. The popular choices seem to fall on either Milk Crate or Discographic, while a bunch of people prefer Discogs' mobile web page. There's also an official Discogs app is in the works for both iOS and Android, which is currently in closed beta. You can request an invite here: https://www.discogs.com/app (ninja edit: the beta is iOS only, but Android users can sign up for news on the Android app on the same page).

RaidenZR

Not an iOS user so I can't speak from experience, but I've seen this discussed extensively. The popular choices seem to fall on either Milk Crate or Discographic, while a bunch of people prefer Discogs' mobile web page. There's also an official Discogs app is in the works for both iOS and Android, which is currently in closed beta. You can request an invite here: https://www.discogs.com/app (ninja edit: the beta is iOS only, but Android users can sign up for news on the Android app on the same page).

Thanks! I was aware of their app's beta, and did sign up for an invite ages ago, but ultimately never received one. Hence my looking for alternatives. Milk Crate was recommended to me by a few others so I may give that a go.

Thanks again, rpbtz!

I also see a fellow synthwave junkie. I see a lot of overlap with us, but any specific recommendations?

6ea3c26b6146.gif

Really there aren't that many records yet in the genre, those that have gotten a vinyl pressing are pretty much all worth buying.

Take a looksee at this list i've compiled, https://www.discogs.com/lists/SynthwaveRetrowave-on-vinyl/244812?page=1&limit=100

My Vinyl Collection

I used Milkcrate, however even that loses data connection from time to time, but often it was handy enough when browsing records at a flea market for checking prices or looking at my own wishlist trying to remember what albums i needed from some artist :D

Otherwise i just use Discogs.com on the browser, works fairly well.

Hmm, I need The Crow, RoboCop, and Terminator 2...

all of these luckily just got new pressings last year, grab them while they are "reasonably" priced! :D

IrishNinja

oh god i dont even wanna know how bad the crow vinyl is

fortunately most hip hop 90s OSTs i want aren't bad, cause people dont usually know em - Street Fighter, Above the Rim (this might be expensive), rhyme & reason, soul in the hole etc...Friday's prolly up there too though

right now i just want Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers, but i just found out DJ Premier had a badass set that it's on, so now i need that in my life

fuck this thread's for gaming stuff

rpbtz

any word on the next datadisc offering?

They said they'd announce it in January, but it's been dead silent so far. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

They've previously announced that we'll get Streets Of Rage 2 and Out Run in 2016 so I'm guessing it's going to be at least one of those.

I'm trying to slow down on the vinyl buying.

But I will be there for SoR2.

Its difficult. I was in the process in spending £70 odd on the FEZ soundtrack when I realised I need to slow down...

Bought the Oldboy OST instead for £18 to quench the thirst and I will try my hardest to leave it at that for a while.

The missus sent me Quadrophenia LP from Germany as a belated Christmas present so it has scratched that itch.

Top Bottom