• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamecube Imports (JAP/PAL)

Stencil

I just got a freeloader from a coworker and the only games I got with it were Cubic Lode Runner and Battle Stadium D.O.N.

I'm looking for games that are either in english, or very little Japanese, as I cannot read a lick of Japanese.

Also, are there an EU releases that US didn't get? Doshin the Giant is the only one I can think of, is that worth importing for $40?

Any help whatsoever on recommendations, or where I can get imports would be of help.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stencil said:
I just got a freeloader from a coworker and the only games I got with it were Cubic Lode Runner and Battle Stadium D.O.N.

I'm looking for games that are either in english, or very little Japanese, as I cannot read a lick of Japanese.

Also, are there an EU releases that US didn't get? Doshin the Giant is the only one I can think of, is that worth importing for $40?

Any help whatsoever on recommendations, or where I can get imports would be of help.

Doshin is certainly not worth $40.

Gameboy415

The re-makes of Adventure Island and Bonk on GC are pretty awesome.
I'd also recommend these:

-Nintendo Puzzle Collection - 4 player versions of Tetris Attack, Dr. Mario, and Yoshi's Cookie
-Dream Mix TV World Fighters - Smash Bros clone featuring Hudson, Konami, and Takara characters
-Kururin Squash - excellent 3D update of Nintendo's GBA Kururin series with multiplayer modes
-Mr. Driller Drill Land - 4 player Mr. Driller
-Donkey Konga 1-3 - 3 was never released outside Japan and 1 and 2 have a few different songs than the US releases

GaussTek

Gameboy415 said:

-Nintendo Puzzle Collection - 4 player versions of Tetris Attack, Dr. Mario, and Yoshi's Cookie
-Dream Mix TV World Fighters - Smash Bros clone featuring Hudson, Konami, and Takara characters
-Kururin Squash - excellent 3D update of Nintendo's GBA Kururin series with multiplayer modes
-Donkey Konga 1-3 - 3 was never released outside Japan and 1 and 2 have a few different songs than the US releases

Yep, this, pretty much cover everything on my list too :)

Dachande

Gameboy415 said:

This has save game problems with Freeloader. They just don't work. Doesn't matter if you just want to try multiplayer (which is fun!), but otherwise, yeah...

Stencil

Thank you thank you thank you.

Will I need a Japanese memory card for saves?

Also, at a glance, most of these imports that have been named (on eBay at least) seem to be going for upwards of around ~$40. Is it worth it/is there anywhere else I can get these at a more reasonable price?

Kururin Squash is excellent, and the Japanese Donkey Konga games have a better selection of songs to drum along to.

Shaman King is a pretty good fighter you can get in Japan too.

Gameboy415 said:

I'd highly recommend these too. Also, if you are into anime and/or Smash Bros style fighters, Battle Stadium DON (Dragonball, One Piece and Naruto characters) is worth checking out too. It's on PS2 as well.

-Donkey Konga 1-3 - 3 was never released outside Japan and 1 and 2 have a few different songs than the US releases (Both the EU and JPN versions have different songs from the US version and each other. You might want to consider getting all 3 versions actually!)

This is a perfect list except for 1 ommission. The Japanese version of Four Swords Adventures (Known as Four Swords +)

The JPN version has an extra game that was cut from the US & EU versions called Tetra's Trackers

0.jpg

tetra2.jpg

051303_zeldatt_ss_GBA04.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5AFDanVRqU

English version was in development (seen in screenshots) but it was cancelled and removed from the English version of the game. It's perfectly playable without any Japanese knowledge though and it's great fun! :D

I wouldn't recommend playing through the main Adventure game in Japanese though. Get the US version if you don't already have it (it's a fabulous game!) for the main Zelda gameplay and get the JPN version for Tetra's Trackers!

Do note that you will need a seperate memory card for JPN save files. It can be any old memory card (doesn't have to be one from Japan) but you cannot have US and JPN saves on the same card or your files WILL be corrupted.

US and EU files on the same card are perfectly fine though

GhaleonQ

Night_Trekker said:
I would totally import Giftpia if I had a GCN freeloader.

That reminds me, where's my fan translation of Captain Rainbow? :(

Coming out after Moon 2.

(Not really.)

farnham said:
oh my bad

btw isnt there a save file error problem with donkey konga 3 ?

Yes, you can't save with any Japanese Namco game using a Freeloader. That includes the JPN versions of Donkey Konga 1,2,3 or Mr Driller Drill Spirits :(

However, I stumbled onto an old thread here where someone supposedly got it to work by purposly corrupting a card by pulling it out when saving. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! I wouldn't do this with a card that had save files. Try it with a blank one if you want to give it a go!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318724

Takao

Banned
I kind of want to play that Dream Mix TV World Fighters game.

My username is Takao. Deal with it.

Mdk7

I know it's not something that fits the OP requests... but as an /OT, how was Homeland?
I've always been intrigued but that game, the art direction was sooo original and unique... Yet there's very few info about it...
Was it fun to play?
It bombed pretty bad in Japan, didn't it?

farnham

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes, you can't save with any Japanese Namco game using a Freeloader. That includes the JPN versions of Donkey Konga 1,2,3 or Mr Driller Drill Spirits :(

However, I stumbled onto an old thread here where someone supposedly got it to work by purposly corrupting a card by pulling it out when saving. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! I wouldn't do this with a card that had save files. Try it with a blank one if you want to give it a go!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318724
i should have listened to you mister

mr driller drilland erased all my GC saves on my main memory card

Top Bottom