• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamefly's shipping times are ridiculous

megamerican

Gamefly was almost unusable back when I tried it in 2009. Turnaround time was 7-14 days and then game availability was quite poor on top of that. Resubbed last year and I waited three weeks and they hadn't shipped a single game. They only bothered sending out a game after I had cancelled my service...

What I heard is that they base the shipping on the members who have the game longest in their queue. I applaud them rewarding longterm customers, but it makes the service pretty lame for anyone just signing up. Given how game value drop quicker than ever, I don't see why anyone would use the service to play anything but the newest games.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Shipping facity in Tampa, 2-3 hr drive from where I live. I get the games pronto. I'm like you, on/off kind of thing. When my backlog grows I usually hit gamefly.

Donrule01

Banned
I live in Tampa so they get the game I send back the next day. They will send the next one on que that same day or the following and I get it no more than a day after that. Always been fast.

Amazon built two distro centers within 35 miles of me too so I get stuff delivered 2 day from USPS like clockwork.

Thetinman

when i started with Gamefly turn around was about 5 to 6 days now its 12 to 14 days. I'm in New Jersey and most of my games come from Pittsburgh PA. When i was with Gamerang for about two years turn around was about 4 to 7 days. i think i'm going to go back and just pay the 2.00 more.

old

Last time I subscribed it took over 2 weeks for a turnaround. 5 business days to return, not including weekends. 5 business days, not including weekends, to get my new game. Plus an extra day or two to between them receiving my return and shipping the next game, which invariably was like 5th or 6th on my list. Never got new games unless I timed the return just right.

I figured I was spending like $16 or $20 a month to play old used games for a few days a month between shippings. I quit when I realized it would actually be cheaper go down to gamestop and buy the games used and trade them back in when I was done. Why pay $16 to rent a used Uncharted when I could just buy it used for $7?

Allforce

Mine is like clockwork:

-Send back on Wednesday, get email on Saturday that they received the game.

-They ship a new release game on Tuesday, I get it Thursday afternoon.

It's been like this for almost 10 years now across 3 different addresses. I'm in Columbus Ohio and get games from their Pittsburgh facility (although it used to be Tampa before that opened, same results however).

It's bizarre how hit or miss it is across the country, but I really think it's the USPS that's the underlying problem. Just depends so heavily on your local mail facilities and how they process stuff.

I live 30-60 min from one of their shipping centers. It used to take 3 days max to get a game, but normally it would arrive NEXT DAY. Dropped Mass Effect 2 in the mail box, and got Ninja Gaiden 2 in the mail next day for example.

I started up gamefly a couple months ago and it now takes them a whole week!! Im 30-60 min away!! I waited a week and a half for one game. Its a waste of money if im waiting for my next game longer than i have them to play.

I kinda wish they just let me drive over and pick it up lol

prag16

Banned
Yep. They're terrible. Basically forced to upgrade to the "two games out at a time" plan to get solid use out of it. Never again, especially now that I don't have as much time for gaming as I did a few years ago.

Duxxy3

Shipping time is the reason why I don't have a gamefly subscription. It's a cool service, but not worth it when the turn around time is a week+.

Compbros

I think Pittsburg USPS is still reeling from that snow storm. I've had several non-Gamefly USPS packages delayed coming out of NJ/NY/PA area in the past few weeks. Before the snowstorm I'd get my games within 2 days, 3 at most in months of having Gamefly. Now I still haven't received Resident Evil and it's been 8 days and Atelier Shallie took 6 days.

conman

I gave up. I've tried it off and on a couple of times from different parts of the US. Even at $15 a month, I never got my money's worth. Cheaper, easier, and faster just to buy things used or on sale.

Sounds like this is pretty consistent. A week turnaround was basically the minimum when I used to have it. The last time I got a free month, 3 weeks in they hadn't even bothered to send me a game. Just not worth it for the hassle for me.

The shipping times have gotten considerably worse for me over the past 3 or 4 months. I used to get games from them in 3 business days without fail. The last few games I've gotten have taken around a week to arrive, with the latest one taking 10 full days to get to me after they shipped it.

This long-time Gamefly subscriber is cancelling his membership at the end of this month.

Fjordson

It definitely seems like a bit of a crapshoot depending on where you live.

Gamefly works pretty well for me here in California. I always get new releases sent to me and they always arrive Wednesday (basically a day after release) and it only takes 2-3 days for them to receive what I send back.

Squishy3

I guess it could be USPS, but Netflix uses USPS too and I never had an issue with their DVD by mail service back when I was a subscriber (canceled a few months back)
Gamefly has been in an extended battle with USPS for multiple years over the treatment Netflix gets that doesn't extend to them.

It wasn't that long ago they finally got the USPS to hand sort their stuff and not put it through an automatic sorter, and then they realized Netflix was paying roughly $1 less than they were for hand sorting, meaning they'd spend around $730k a month just to be hand sorted and exceeding their monthly income.

Gamefly also opts to mail the games in sleeves that blend in more easily with regular mail for theft reasons, as well which would add to the post-office being unable to identify Gamefly sleeves as easily but since games are so much more expensive than DVDs it makes perfect sense.

Marceles

They've slowed down for me. They used to take a couple to a few days to stop being in queue and another couple to be delivered. Now it takes forever if a game is even on medium availability and a whole week to be delivered, then another week for them to receive my returns. I don't know what happened

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Mine takes two days almost always. Three is rare, but it's happened. I live in Tampa, though; there's a distribution center here. Generally speaking I've always heard that the distance to a center plays a huge role in this discussion, but I'm seeing some outliers here.

hoola

Neo Member
When I was subscribed way, way back it would take up to 3 weeks from the point I sent a game in to when I got a new one. I did this for two games and never received a third one even after 2 months even though they said it had been shipped. I cancelled my service, then they called me asking where the game was and I said I cancelled because I never received it and they basically just said sorry.

And this was at the same time that I was subscribed to Netflix through the mail which I would send a movie in the mail on Monday and get the next one on Wednesday or Thursday. It really just emphasized how horrible Gamefly was/is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The shipping times have gotten considerably worse for me over the past 3 or 4 months. I used to get games from them in 3 business days without fail. The last few games I've gotten have taken around a week to arrive, with the latest one taking 10 full days to get to me after they shipped it.

This long-time Gamefly subscriber is cancelling his membership at the end of this month.

Yeah, mine have been weirder and I've been using them for a long time.

I live about 40 minutes from pittsburgh so their shipping center has always been great, I would get new releases typically on a wednesday, but sometimes get it tuesday when they release anyway. Evolve was shipped on a monday and didn't get to me until saturday, which was way longer than they've ever taken.

Weirdly enough The Order arrived as usual. I'm seeing what happens with Bloodborne since they shipped monday, I'm expecting it tomorrow. If not I might look into some other options since I'm not gonna pay if the shipping turns into a crapshoot.

Andrain18

Banned
Agreed. They ship to me out of Long Beach Ca and I'm in Anaheim. Why the hell does it take 3 day to ship. I can literally pick it up from you guys in 30 minutes.

Sounds like Amazon should just buy Gamefly

Good lord, PLEASE.

It usually takes 2-3 business days for me, sometimes a little longer. I have noticed that it has gotten slower, and that it's been taking them longer to ship games (maybe they're stocking less current-gen stuff for now).

It's still a really great value, even if you only play one game every couple months that you might have spent $60 on otherwise.

jimflox

Neo Member
I like to hop in when they email me once a year or so and offer a $1 month. But, yes, the shipping times are horrendous. I had them send me NFS rivals once for the PS4 about a year ago, and I shipped it back and canceled the service just before my $1 month was up. It took over a week just for them to receive/check the game back in, and they actually billed me for the game. They reversed the charge when they finally checked the game in, but it was ridiculous that it took that long to get to them.

As far as people wondering why the shipping is so slow. companies like Netflix, Gamefly, etc negotiate shipping rates with the postal service. You can get a lower rate by allowing your parcels to be de-prioritised. Part of how they manage to turn a profit is steeply discounted shipping charges. Gamefly has clearly let their shipping costs take a larger priority than they used to, resulting in slower shipping times.

I was really disappointed when Netflix decided not to get into the game rental business a few years back. They would have really been a strong competitor.

All that being said, Gamefly can still be worth it if you aren't paying full price (do the buy a month gift cert/get a month free deal). Only suckers pay retail/full price.

Last, if you want to get the new releases, be sure to have no other games in your queue when it comes time to ship. If you have other games in your queue, you're going to get sent the most readily available, least demanded game. The members with only one game in their queue will wind up getting the new release you're hoping for.

Gamefly's shipping does suck. It takes several days for a game to be returned and several for it to be shipped. As a result, a little over a week is lost for every rental. And, they lose packages. I just had to report a shipping problem with Wonderful 101 after I returned it over a week ago (to the post office, no less). This is the second time this has happened in my short six month time with the service after a nearly six year lapse with the service. It's annoying. Did they get the game? Did it get lost in the mail? I have no idea since ship times are so poor.

It's a great idea and service, but it is handled so poorly. I think I'm going to cancel next month.

SURGEdude

Yep. They're terrible. Basically forced to upgrade to the "two games out at a time" plan to get solid use out of it. Never again, especially now that I don't have as much time for gaming as I did a few years ago.

Agreed. The turnaround time is so poor for me that I only have a game from like 12-15 days out of the month unless I do the 2 game deal. And that's assuming they actually ship a game out when they get my return. Kansas City MO is my distribution center and it is about 400 miles away.

Kariodude

Banned
The center closest to me is 2 hours away and it still takes about 4 days for games to get here last I tried it. Not gonna bother again.

SURGEdude

Try Gamerang? They typically had the games I wanted in stock and they arrived when I expected them to.

Really tempted to try them. They have much closer distribution. The only problem is the price. With the gift card deal Gamefly is vastly cheaper.

How are they for new releases/first few weeks? That's 90% of my rentals.

Kawika

Yeah they are not the greatest. I live in Phoenix, they have a shipping center in LA. Should take 2 days, 3 max. It seems to vary but for me it's 4-6 on average. I've had a game arrive in 3 days and I've also had a game arrive in 2 weeks. But mostly 4-6 days. I'm just kind of used to it.

I live less than 20 miles from their Los Angeles Distribution center and it takes more than that to get a game out usually.

In my business I mail odd sized packages using USPS every day. It typically takes less time for me to send something across the country than for Gamefly to ship me a game across town.

JTripper

I've had Gamefly for years and have gotten a majority of my games 2 days after they get shipped, and I'm in NY. Recently it's been more around 2-3 sometimes 4. I can deal with it though since I still think Gamefly is a fantastic deal. Just got Bloodborne shipped to me on Monday. Hoping to get it tomorrow.

Almighty

With a few exceptions it takes 3 days including the day it ships for me to get a game. So it ships Monday and I get it Wednesday and with fast return the turn around from me sending a game back to me getting another one is four or five days at most the majority of the time. If all goes well I should have Bloodborne arrive tomorrow.

ryan299

Just took two weeks to receive a new game. A week for them to receive it and a week for me to receive a new game. Their service is garbage now. I'm in NY, not far from the Pittsburgh warehouse where all the games for me come from, and it takes two weeks.

I don't know what happened but my Gamefly shipping went from a reliable 2 days from them telling me they shipped to taking a solid week.

Yeah, it's gotten a lot worse. Things went from shipping the day before release and arriving on Thursday to arriving anywhere from Friday to Tuesday of the following week. I just laugh when they send me one of those "confirm receipt" emails

Almighty

Damn I guess i have been lucky. Shipping time have been slower for me the past month or so, but only by about a day.

graboids

been using GF on and off for years, shipping service has definitely gotten worse over the past couple months for me, about to cancel it... used to take about 2-3 days to get a game once it shipped, now its closer to a full week.

also seems harder to get newer games than it used to be.

I been using the service off and on since 05. Up until 2012 it took two shipping days to receive the games, now 3 -4 days and I live in SoCal. Nowadays I only re sub when I get their emails asking to join again for $1, which I did last week.

I don't know what happened but my Gamefly shipping went from a reliable 2 days from them telling me they shipped to taking a solid week.

This is dead on.

They moved one closer... and things got worse.

Weirdly, or perhaps not so, this began around the time they sold their PC distribution to someone else. I wondered if they lost the access rights they fought to win with the USPS, to be in line with Netflix.

I've been teetering on cancelling and this might push me over the edge, despite never having an issue, and I've been a subscriber for a few years now.

Top Bottom