• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GamerGate thread 2: it's about feminism in games journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's see if I can make this work. (You made me start an IMGUR folder, GG. I will never forgive you for that!)

Operation Volcano:

aXDkcVn.png
[/url][/IMG]

"Call Them Anti-Gamer!"

Operation Full Potato: In Progress...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
who hates tb? some people on gaf? the man is popular as ever..even won the VGA awards

I don't hate him, but he's a disgusting individual. You don't have to look far to see his displays of his downright embarrassing behavior on Twitter or in various comments sections.

The man deserves zero praise from anyone, which is why it's so sad that he won something at the GAs.

You know, I've gotta say, I'm losing a bit of respect for these companies - even those that I have friends at - for staying silent. I know tons of forums that are filled with pure bile and violent hatred towards women. Even Valve, who even three years ago was still the Golden Calf of the Industry, is staying silent. Which is really odd considering their copy-pasted memo. Do they honestly not know what the deal with Hatred is? Both answers to that question are depressing as fuck.

Toxi

Banned
"I don't get why people are allowed to call Sean Hannity an asshole, but aren't allowed to call Barack Hussein Obama a Kenyan Muslim."

I dismissed it early on because those kinds of generalizations make me uncomfortable, but goddamn the number of anime avatars is starting to get to me now.

Yeah, GG seem hellbent on making sure that they live up to, and ruin, every conceivable negative stereotype that could ever remotely apply.

In addition to the anime avatar thing, it's disturbing how obsessed that 'Gaters are with the hair of the "Literally Whos", especially Zoe Quinn.

Yeah, the obsession with women who dye their hair is wicked bizarre.

sn00zer

via @a_man_in_black

Sometimes I see ridiculous comments online and wish I could save them and present them to the person in 5-10 years and see how they feel about their young self.

This one takes the cake. I really would love to know what this guy thinks about what he wrote after awhile.

Woooooow.... I dont even know what to say to that....the things this person considers proud.... what a fucked up kid

Im starting to think a lot of this is brought on by parents who used games as a babysitter rather than a toy. Living and breathing online hate, speaking entirely through texts to strangers, really sets kids up for one hell of a warped perception of reality.

via @a_man_in_black

Sometimes I see ridiculous comments online and wish I could save them and present them to the person in 5-10 years and see how they feel about their young self.

This one takes the cake. I really would love to know what this guy thinks about what he wrote after awhile.
This is what Jack Nicholson would have screamed at the end of A Few Good Men if that movie had been about neckbeards.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That TB is still revered on KiA should tell the story. He has always come off as someone trying to make a buck off of this, and his "neutral" stance isn't very neutral.

TB's gave his most succinct explanation of his views on GG in the Giant Bomb forum, of all places:

What makes you think he's trying to make a buck off this? DId he start a Patreon or something?

I like TB's videos. I think he's kind of an arrogant guy though. That screenshot of his post on SomethingAwful from a while ago makes me cringe my face off every time I see it. I can seperate those things from his videos which I find really useful though. Way more useful than a written review with a 1-10 rating.

Adnor

Banned
I personally feel kind of bad for TB. Didn't he start as a Starcraft commentator? It must have crushed him when Blizzard openly attacked GG at roughly the same time as he finally admited to be a GGer.

Wait, no, I don't really feel bad for him, everything he has done has been to get more money.

CoolBane

Banned
This thread is interesting.

People here, as well as the media itself, have decided to ignore one of the foundations of modern internet: ignore the trolls.

Rather than discuss with supporters of GG the issues that the majority were bringing up with regards to gaming journalism, both Gaf and the media have put so much effort into giving the trolls, who are either in the vast minority of people supporting GG or just people wanting to cause trouble who have no interest in anything GG is talking about.

Of course, allowing trolls to get on the front page of the New York Times and have article after article written about their exploits provides it as a perceived Valhalla for these people. I've always thought about it this way:

'Which is more likely? That tens of thousands of people (KiA has over 20,000 subscribers, plus the thousands on twitter and the Escapist forums, 8chan etc.) not to mention the many people sympathetic with GG but unwilling to show public support due to the reaction they receive from the 'anti-GG' people. That those tens of thousands of people, including men, women, transgender people, gay, straight, black, white, they are all engaging in a hate campaign to force women and minorities out of video games and have been going at it for 4 months non-stop whilst using the whole 'ethics in journalism' thing as a giant smokescreen for their hatred...or journalists in gaming media used their contacts in other media outlets to spread a narrative of 'misogyny, racism, hatred' etc. to attempt to avoid people talking about their dirty laundry...'

I don't blame people for being anti-GG at all, due to the way the media has handled this and spread misinformed article after dishonest article calling GG everything under the sun. I would really love it if there was more talking, and would genuinely adore a discourse with Gaf users about this.

That Stone Dude

Neo Member
TB is one of the biggest hypocrites I've seen.

"People should just ignore threats and suck it up, except for me. Threats against me are a big deal."

"Why can't people just ignore Twitter? Now let me hand my account off to the person I hired to handle my account."

"YouTube is the future of gaming, all other 'games journalist' are useless or corrupt. Now come check out my Youtube channel."

"I don't support GG, I just parrot their talking points over and over again despite the fact that it's all proven bullshit and am quick to point out that it's impossible to prove GG has ever harassed anyone and the SJW are just as mean and evil."

People here, as well as the media itself, have decided to ignore one of the foundations of modern internet: ignore the trolls.

Rather than discuss with supporters of GG the issues that the majority were bringing up with regards to gaming journalism, both Gaf and the media have put so much effort into giving the trolls, who are either in the vast minority of people supporting GG or just people wanting to cause trouble who have no interest in anything GG is talking about.

Of course, allowing trolls to get on the front page of the New York Times and have article after article written about their exploits provides it as a perceived Valhalla for these people. I've always thought about it this way:

'Which is more likely? That tens of thousands of people (KiA has over 20,000 subscribers, plus the thousands on twitter and the Escapist forums, 8chan etc.) not to mention the many people sympathetic with GG but unwilling to show public support due to the reaction they receive from the 'anti-GG' people. That those tens of thousands of people, including men, women, transgender people, gay, straight, black, white, they are all engaging in a hate campaign to force women and minorities out of video games and have been going at it for 4 months non-stop whilst using the whole 'ethics in journalism' thing as a giant smokescreen for their hatred...or journalists in gaming media used their contacts in other media outlets to spread a narrative of 'misogyny, racism, hatred' etc. to attempt to avoid people talking about their dirty laundry...'

I don't blame people for being anti-GG at all, due to the way the media has handled this and spread misinformed article after dishonest article calling GG everything under the sun. I would really love it if there was more talking, and would genuinely adore a discourse with Gaf users about this.

Go away

Corpekata

Banned

There are some trolls, but GG as a whole is made up of largely unpleasant people. It isn't trolls that are giving adoration to Milo, or Cernovich, or Davis Aurini. It's the body of the movement. You don't get to put it off on random people and then give 10k views in a day to the latest conspiracy theory video that's clearly not grounded in reality.

Adnor

Banned

The fist one. Because it's the truth.

Toxi

Banned

You could have at least waited until member status.

That Stone Dude

Neo Member

GG aren't trolls, they are a hate mob. Saying. 'Ignore them and they'll go away' is like saying 'those black folks should have just ignored the lynch mob". Ignoring it just means GG feels free to continue harassing whoever it feels like.

And really, are folks being harassed daily online and at their homes supposed to just 'ignore it'?

"Ignore the trolls" only works when you're dealing with solitary trolls who will get bored and leave. When you deal with a hate group, they encourage each other and keep the momentum up regardless of the response. In that case, letting people know how disgusting they are is really the only defense, so more people don't get sucked in under false pretenses.

sn00zer

Just searching the #gamergate on twitter gives you a general idea of the people within the movement. Either gamergate has a very silent majority counter to those who speak or those willing to speak are reflective of it. The amount of hate, misogyny, Ive seen first hand on forums and twitter ending with #gamergate have made me avoid it all together. Add on to the fact that those who are still holding to the movement have still continued to spit this type of speech while moderates have all but left, makes me think that the movement lost sight of whatever focus it thought it had long ago.

Orayn

That those tens of thousands of people, including men, women, transgender people, gay, straight, black, white, they are all engaging in a hate campaign to force women and minorities out of video games and have been going at it for 4 months non-stop whilst using the whole 'ethics in journalism' thing as a giant smokescreen for their hatred

There are probably a few hundred people engaging in a hate campaign to force women and minorities out of video games. The masses are people who bought into a narrative about press corruption that relies on a large number of distortions and fabrications. They're fair weather fans who harbor some unpleasant ideas in a mostly passive way and occasionally parrot certain charismatic blowhards like Cernovitch, Slade, and Milo.

Christine

This is amusing becuase it assumes that I need to speculate about what's 'likely' or wonder about whether or not the media is accurately portraying GG. I can directly observe your pile of shit and loathe your behavior of my own accord.

That's the fastest "first post to ban" speed I've ever seen.
Guess he'll be running back to KiA to report how the evil SJWs on GAF censored his truthspeak or whatever

The average GGer seems to think their actions exist in a vacuum. They ask us to do research or what's more likely as if we can't easily see the entire scope of their vitriol and insane nonsense.

This is amusing becuase it assumes that I need to speculate about what's 'likely' or wonder about whether or not the media is accurately portraying GG. I can directly observe your pile of shit and loathe your behavior of my own accord.

That's exactly right. We don't need to rely on any one persons narrative, it's not a matter of who we believe or trust.

MYeager

What's likely, every media source that has reported on GamerGate (aside from Brietbarf) didn't bother with any fact checking, sourcing information or looking up verifiable history of the hate parade, or that there's a bunch of assholes on Reddit who know better?

"We don't get offended by anything" -Says the group going on about Leigh Alexander four months later.

I wonder if #GG people who feel hurt by comments like "basement-dweller" or "loser" ever take a step back and think "wait a second, this must be a bit like what people feel when I use words that are slurs against them. Maybe I shouldn't use those slurs." but I'm guessing they can never even reach that level of comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom